Miss Vicky's 100 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

Well if you hated the book there's little hope for you liking the movie. I assume you read/watched it for school?

Of Mice and Men was one of only three novels I can recall having to read for school that I actually enjoyed (the others were Lord of the Flies and After the First Death) but unfortunately we did not get to watch the 1992 version of the film. Instead we had to watch the 1981 made for TV version starring Robert Blake and Randy Quaid (terrible) and the 1939 black and white version starring Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney, Jr (decent). I watched the Sinise one on my own.
I read and watched the 1992 for school, yes. And while much of my hate might come from how much we had to dissect it, and how low my teacher marked my "American Dream" essay about it , I just don't see any hype among how the film is built, outside the performance. And I didn't find the ending sad at all.

Oh and I have seen Tuck Everlasting, don't like it

I read and watched Of Mice and Men in my English class two years ago. I liked both, loved neither, but good choice

Oh, and I've also seen Tuck Everlasting and CW. The first I didn't like, the second can't judge, it was to long ago

Schindler's list is a great movie. I've not seen many movies from your list so far I'll put them on my watchlist !

Well I'm just not that big on heavy fantasy, plus I found Winnie annoying. I don't remember much, but I gave it a

I just don't see any hype among how the film is built, outside the performance. And I didn't find the ending sad at all.
I don't know if the ending is supposed to be too sad, at least from the novel's perspective. Whatever happens in the end (trying to be vague) happens with justification. It's more of a study of human nature and how impossible "The American Dream" really is.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Well I'm just not that big on heavy fantasy, plus I found Winnie annoying. I don't remember much, but I gave it a
Heavy fantasy? That seems an odd way to describe it. The spring itself and the idea of eternal life are the only fantasy elements I can think of. Beyond that, it's a pretty basic coming of age love story.

Movie Forums Extra
Looking forward to your 100 top.

Heavy fantasy? That seems an odd way to describe it. The spring itself and the idea of eternal life are the only fantasy elements I can think of. Beyond that, it's a pretty basic coming of age love story.
Well the whole drinking magical water thing, maybe since I'm not a spiritual man, fantasy is more open ended for me.

I don't know if the ending is supposed to be too sad, at least from the novel's perspective. Whatever happens in the end (trying to be vague) happens with justification. It's more of a study of human nature and how impossible "The American Dream" really is.
While in the novel along with the killing of the dog, it was more in a realistic, human, perspective yes, but I felt the movie tried to make it a depressing situation.

Well the whole drinking magical water thing, maybe since I'm not a spiritual man, fantasy is more open ended for me.
I'm not a spiritual person either and certainly Tuck Everlasting has fantasy elements to it, but they're just not what I would classify as "heavy" otherwise it would not have made the list.

To me, "heavy fantasy" would imply something more along the lines of Lord of the Rings in which you have fantastical creatures living in a mythical location.

It's not your classification of the film as fantasy that I object to, it's the word "heavy" that I disagree with. But maybe we're defining "heavy" differently.

Miss Vicky, as an atheist, what do you think of free will? I don't believe in it. I hope you don't either, and if you don't, I shall convince you.

I absolutely believe in free will, but that's not a discussion I really care to have here (or anywhere) hence why I've not participated in that particular thread.

BTW, love the new avatar.

Thank you. I'd give you a rep point, but you believe in free will.

Maybe we should watch a Sam Harris lecture together in my commentary thread.

I wonder if I have been subliminally influenced by you. Both of our avatars feature someone smoking a cigarette in the same position in the mouth.

On the outside looking in.
91. Of Mice And Men (1992)

Charming animated fable about a loving family of mice who melt the heart of a crusty old farmer by eating the creditors trying to foreclose on his farm.