2018 Mofo Film Awards

Tools    

movies can be okay...
Aw!

Sure, Roma was very good, but Hereditary was AMAZING!

I suggest we stage an uprising.
LOVED Hereditary too (my 2nd fav of the year, after Roma), and it actually would've been more rewarding for me to see it win, as there are more people who don't like it and don't give it the credits it deserves.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Roma walks away with some big wins tonight earning Best Picture, Best Director, Best Foreign Film and Best Cinematography. Let's call up Netflix and tell them their hard work has FINALLY paid off. Alfonso Cuaron won Best Director for Gravity and becomes the first double winner in this category.

Marvel's Infinity War walks away with the memorable scene and VFX awards while it's partner Black Panther settles for Most Overrated.

All the acting categories might have been surprises, upsets and well deserved wins. Bradley Cooper earned A Star is Born's only win for Best Actor. Same with Toni Collette and Hereditary. Emma Stone earned a Supporting Actress win as The Favourite also walked away with Best Screenplay. Emma Stone lost to Amy Adams in 2016.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse gets three wins here for Best Animated Film, Biggest Surprise and Funniest Scene.

Annihilation, the most nominated film walks away with NOTHING!!! NADDA!!! and Bohemian Rhapsody...is it really the WORST FILM OF THE YEAR? I don't know, but you guys sure think so.

Mandy walks away with nothing, but put up a great fight in all the categories it was nominated in. Could have been a surprise big winner had more people seen it.

Suspect's Reviews

I didn't think Mandy had a chance, but I voted for Mandy for the best film of the year regardless. I actually think it's a bit uneven, but the parts of the film that I do like, I truly love. I didn't expect anyone else to vote for it, so the fact that two other people here have the same weird taste as me makes me happy.

movies can be okay...
Most Memorable Scene was the hardest one for me to decide on. The only one I ruled out right away was the lighthouse scene. I voted for Sorry to Bother You, since I keep thinking about that reveal, and how unexpected it was. The bear scream from Annihilation is definitely one of the creepiest things I've seen in awhile, and probably would've been my second choice.
I'm curious, why did you immediately rule out the lighthouse scene? Personally, it would've gotten my vote had Hereditary wasn't in play.

I'm curious, why did you immediately rule out the lighthouse scene? Personally, it would've gotten my vote had Hereditary wasn't in play.
In comparison to the other Annihilation scene nominated, I didn't find it as memorable. That bear creature was legitimately unnerving and stayed in my mind well after the film was over, whereas for me, the lighthouse scene was just far too long. It was interesting, yes, but not my favourite part of the film.

Best VFX

Best Score

Breakthrough Performance of the Year
Elsie Fisher - Eighth Grade

'Mixed-Bag Award'

Most Memorable Scene
The Snap - Avengers: Infinity War

Most Underrated Movie of the Year

Best Animated Film

Best Supporting Actress
Emma Stone - The Favourite

Voted for all the above winners, We Happy!

The Bohemian Rhapsody hate is in FULL SWING and the film wins Worst Film Of The Year. Is it warranted? It earned 6 votes while the ski/fi disappointment Cloverfield Paradox came in second with 3. Someone voted for Griswold too.
Damn. Was I really the only one voting for Fantastic Beasts 2? Wauw. I thought that was exceptionally awful...

I don’t think Bohemian Rhapsody was as bad. Even The Predator was worse imo. I had Rhapsody at most overrrated though, because after winning all those Oscars I think it secured the spot. I don’t like Black Panther but I hate Bohemian much more after those wins.

Anyways, I think Bohemian is a bad film, but I didn’t hate it or myself as much after watching it as I did Fantastic Beasts or Predator...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
All I can say is awful. Each person can decide what that means. Prez, you deserve more rep but I'm not sure you'll get any more than I already gave you.

Welcome to the human race...
I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet, nor have I read any reviews. But in a nutshell someone tell me why it's so hated?
A combination of extremely formulaic "musician biopic" storytelling that jars with the band saying they want to avoid making formulaic music (and frequently disregards historical accuracy just for the sake of conforming to said formula), a problematic treatment of Freddie Mercury's sexuality that's borderline character assassination, poor technical quality (especially the supposedly Oscar-worthy editing that got memed to death), and the fact that it practically exists as a singalong nostalgia trip about one of the most popular rock bands ever (climaxing with a 1:1 recreation of their Live Aid performance) rather than being a solid movie in its own right. And I say this as someone who actually likes Queen.

Welcome to the human race...
Anyway, here's my breakdown using my original nomination ballot. My final votes are bolded, winners are green if they were on my shortlist and red if they weren't.

My Picks  

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Good job, TUS!

Glad to see Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone, Roma, The Favourite and Spiderman winning in various categories. For me, best director was the toughest category to choose in, all really good nominations. 20 people voting on 10 films for best film was always going to be interesting - maybe next year we should do a real Oscars style preference vote for best picture!

For what it's worth, I like the biggest surprise/biggest disappointment categories, I don't think they do always chime with the overrated/underrated.

I'm not sure the problem is necessarily too many categories, just that it's not always possible to watch the movies. If you missed them at the time, lots of them won't be out on dvd or streaming by the voting deadline. Depending on where you live, some of them are only just released at the cinema in March. I'm not suggesting we move the awards any later, I think they absolutely need to be of the year at the time, alongside all the real world awards, just that that might be why there aren't tons of votes.

Damn. Was I really the only one voting for Fantastic Beasts 2? Wauw. I thought that was exceptionally awful...
I voted for that too, although spelled it incorrectly.

Thanks for putting all this together, TUS!