Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Maybe I am mistaking the deterioration of old film for lack of technology. Its indeed very apparent the difference in the quality of the images from Bridge on River Kwai 1957 and Lora 2012. And I watched both movies on the same day. Modern directing techniques also improved the perception of the film as well. Today the camera is much more aggressive than it was 60 years ago, giving a more "immersive" feel: in Lora I felt like I was in there, while in Bridge of River Kwai it felt more like watching theater.

However, I wouldn't say I haven't watched many "old" movies, movies from >50 years ago plus I watched hundreds already. You should be more careful before you accuse someone of ignorance. And these old movies all feel kinda "old", perhaps because the film has deteriorated I guess but also the color and direction has changed a lot as well. Well, with the accumulation of knowledge of direction techniques plus the technological advances allows for greater image quality combined with more immersive direction in modern movies compared to movies from 70 years ago. And in additional old film degrade, making it ever harder for the old film. So there is indeed a difference that is partly but not completely due to deterioration of film.
I'm not accusing you of ignorance Guap, I just think that you make generalizations a bout things that aren't that simple. There seem to be trends rather than "improvements" in popular media direction, which is usually due to a milestone of some kind (the recent ones being Pulp Fiction, Nolan movies, and the Sundance machine). Just because we know more about directing techniques (though this is highly dependent on each individual crew), doesn't mean we make better films. Film art isn't a science, whose progress can be tracked by new discoveries or techniques, or new equipment.

For me, the highest peaks in cinematography are Sternberg's 30s films with Marlene Dietrich, Dreyer's Gertrud, Tati's Playtime, and Rohmer(and Marie Rivere!!)'s The Green Ray. And the most interesting modern cinematography being Pedro Costa's In Vanda's Room and Colossal Youth, both made on cheap, low-res digital cameras (the use of color in these films is like owah). I don't see cinematography as something that gets better as the recording technology changes. For me, the best cinematography is a personal use of technique and an understanding and desire to discover through images.

ROOM
(Directed by Lenny Abrahamson, 2015)

Room is an intriguing tale of a 24-year-old woman named Joy and her 5-year-old son Jack who live in a shed owned by Joy's kidnapper of 7 years they call "Room" with nothing but a skylight, TV, and a small closet Jack uses as his bedroom. The outside world is unknown to Jack since he was born in Room. Joy has convinced Jack that everything he sees on TV is fake, including real people and places.

I will not delve into more details as to not give too much away.

Overall, the movie has a dark tone, a very original plot, and powerful performances by Brie Larson as Joy, and young Jacob Tremblay as Jack.

Bridges Of Spies - 2015

Meh. Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are so good it's become meh. There is nothing at all wrong with the acting or directing. The story is fine too. I just don't see this having a lot of legs into the future. It's a movie you see once and say wow that was really good and dig into the history surrounding the story....but never have a desire to see again. It drags for a portion is my only major complaint. I mean you probably know what you are getting into before you pop it in. Really well crafted movie that has terrific acting that Oscar voters love. Not a lot of playback.

2.9 out of 5

Beasts Of No Nation - 2015

Idris Elba probably deserved an Oscar nom but being released on Netflix hurt his chances. He was excellent as well as the main child actor. It's a really visceral, brutal film about child soldiers in West Africa. It will definitely move you at certain spots. This kid's childhood's are ripped apart by basically being forced into war. Not a pretty portrait of what goes on in West Africa in certain spots. Sort of reminded me of a lower budget African Apocalypse Now. Also it might require a few repeat viewings to understand what they say sometimes. Their accents are really thick. However like most war movies like this, me personally, I have no desire to watch again. I like to watch these movies at least once to soak it in, but it's just to depressing for me to watch again. I liked to be picked up when I watch a movie multiple times. I like to consider myself optimist. I'd definitely suggest watching it once.

3.2 out of 5

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Danish Girl (2015)

I liked this at it started off, but my liking for it waned as it went on and there were more and more issues with the story. Alicia Vikander as Gerda was great, and it felt almost more like her story than Lili's story. I didn't feel that I really understood Lili as a character, and what starts as a nuanced performance from Eddie Redmayne becomes more one note (shy look, wide smile, rinse, repeat). I didn't really understand why she seemed to have such a big shift in personality and sexuality either.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Glad to see some End Of Tour love. I feel the same way about the actots and gave it the same score. Great movie.
Exactly. For Jason, I was very surprised at the depth he put into this role. He normally has very one-dimensional personas. It also made me curious about the writer he portrayed and possibly checking out some of his stories at some point.

Batman: Bad Blood
Jay Oliva | 2016

John Mulaney: The Comeback Kid
Rhys Thomas | 2015

Kung Fu Panda 3
Alessandro Carloni and Jennifer Yuh Nelson | 2016

Straight Outta Compton
F. Gary Gray | 2015

I have to return some videotapes...
Barton Fink (1991) - Coen Brothers

This is one of the strangest films I have seen for awhile, it reminds me of Mulholland Dr., but that is a little too much praise. Instead, we are treated to a psychological thriller that spins into a message about how Hollywood abuses their writers and the lack of creativity. To start with some positives, I would say that most of the main performances in the film are very well done, especially John Goodman. The characters are interesting and fairly well written, although the scenarios they are put in feel overdone. Some of the metaphors and symbolism worked for me as well, especially the girl on the beach. My main problem with this movie is that it was so clearly better when it wasn't trying to make a statement about Hollywood. They were reaching too much and it ended up being a dull plot point in an otherwise interesting first half. It was more interesting when we got into his psyche, instead of hearing about how Hollywood lacks originality. I wasn't a fan of the whole hallway scene which transpires between Goodman and the detectives. It just doesn't really need to go to those extremes to get the point its trying to make and really pulled me out of the film. Overall, I don't really know if I would recommend this movie or not, it's interesting at times, but also feels like it is reaching to find a grander meaning that is simply not there. Expecting to get some hate for this considering this is a well loved film.

Edit: Just thinking about it, its a pretty clever movie in some ways. I think its another film that leaves your mind up to the interpretation of what different symbols in the film mean, much like The Man Who Wasn't There.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Booty Call (Directed By: Jeff Pollack)

Booty Call is stupid, daft, and very childish but yet still pretty damn funny.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

The House Of The Devil (2009) - Ti West

- Without a doubt One of the worst movie I've ever seen... I see nothing good in spite of the soundtracks in this flick. The first hour is one of the most painful and boring experience I've ever had. The actors was meh and the characters was not interesting. The final 35min are ok, It's not new stuff and it's definitely not scary. This flick did absolutely nothing to me and it was terrible in my opinion.

Welcome to the human race...
I obviously liked The House of the Devil more than you did, though I'd argue that the third act was a bit underdone and didn't really make for the most satisfactory resolution to the first two acts (which were slow and deliberately uneventful for the most part, but I thought that generally worked). It's a solid retro homage and little more, so on those terms I found it acceptable.

I obviously liked The House of the Devil more than you did, though I'd argue that the third act was a bit underdone and didn't really make for the most satisfactory resolution to the first two acts (which were slow and deliberately uneventful for the most part, but I thought that generally worked). It's a solid retro homage and little more, so on those terms I found it acceptable.
WARNING: spoilers below
I can understand the ''retro'' homage of the movie but the execution in my opinion was pretty awful... she want money for a new appartment and she saw a Babysitter Job on the university bulletin board and during 20min you see her struggle to call the guy and finally she's goes for the job and find out that the family is some satanic cult thing.... I didn't dig it I thought the soundtrack was good but in spite of this aspect the movie was a painful experience in my opinion.

Welcome to the human race...
I can understand the ''retro'' homage of the movie but the execution in my opinion was pretty awful... she want money for a new appartment and she saw a Babysitter Job on the university bulletin board and during 20min you see her struggle to call the guy and finally she's goes for the job and find out that the family is some satanic cult thing.... I didn't dig it I thought the soundtrack was good but in spite of this aspect the movie was a painful experience in my opinion.
Yeah, people tend to be divided on whether or not the film effectively draws out the suspense or if it overreaches and makes the film too boring in the process. The main character's struggle is pretty real, though - there was enough desperation to her plight that she was willing to disregard the obvious red flags that the old guy was giving off (and of course her friend constantly telling her to get the hell out of there). Once the friend got killed it definitely cemented what kind of film this was likely to be, and I do appreciate a film that can throw in an early scene of horror violence that's shocking enough to cast enough dread over the rest of the film (see also: Bone Tomahawk). It's not a perfect execution, but I never really felt like it was awful. I guess it all depends on one's own tolerances for cinematic slowness, which is why I found the film's frenzied climax to be a bit dissatisfying in comparison to the rest of the film's atmospheric slow burn.

I have to return some videotapes...
The House Of The Devil (2009) - Ti West

- Without a doubt One of the worst movie I've ever seen... I see nothing good in spite of the soundtracks in this flick. The first hour is one of the most painful and boring experience I've ever had. The actors was meh and the characters was not interesting. The final 35min are ok, It's not new stuff and it's definitely not scary. This flick did absolutely nothing to me and it was terrible in my opinion.
I would probably give the film a
+.

It's so retro and I loved every part of it, I'm a low key huge horror fan so it was really refreshing for the genre. I am one of the only people who enjoyed the ending, even though it was a tad rushed.

Yeah, people tend to be divided on whether or not the film effectively draws out the suspense or if it overreaches and makes the film too boring in the process. The main character's struggle is pretty real, though - there was enough desperation to her plight that she was willing to disregard the obvious red flags that the old guy was giving off (and of course her friend constantly telling her to get the hell out of there). Once the friend got killed it definitely cemented what kind of film this was likely to be, and I do appreciate a film that can throw in an early scene of horror violence that's shocking enough to cast enough dread over the rest of the film (see also: Bone Tomahawk). It's not a perfect execution, but I never really felt like it was awful. I guess it all depends on one's own tolerances for cinematic slowness, which is why I found the film's frenzied climax to be a bit dissatisfying in comparison to the rest of the film's atmospheric slow burn.

The friend killing scene was pretty nice actually... one of the best scene but yeah it was way too slow for me but I give you that the movie climax and atmosphere was pretty well done. I definitely gonna watch Bone Tomahawk pretty soon (I love Patrick Wilson).