Was Bush a Deserter?

Tools    

BANNED
Michael Moore called Bush a deserter because he was AWOL during his stint at the National Guard during the Vietnam War.

This quote is taken from www.michaelmoore.com:

On January 22, 2004, ABC News anchor Peter Jennings said the following:

"Mr. Moore said that President Bush [was] a 'deserter.' Now, that's a reckless charge not supported by the facts."

But now the facts have come out. And more facts keep coming out every day. The definition of "desertion" is being AWOL for more than 30 days. AWOL is less than 30 days. Webster's dictionary defines "deserter" as:

"One who forsakes a duty, a cause or a party, a friend, or any one to whom he owes service; especially, a soldier or a seaman who abandons the service without leave; one guilty of desertion."

How long will it take for Peter Jennings to apologize to Mike and to the country?

Reckless? Not supported by the facts? That description, it seems, only belongs to Peter Jennings.
Moore's website also quotes the following editorial by Richard Cohen from the Washington Post:

From Guardsman...
By Richard Cohen
Washington Post

Tuesday 10 February 2004

During the Vietnam War, I was what filmmaker Michael Moore would call a "deserter." Along with President Bush and countless other young men, I joined the National Guard, did my six months of active duty (basic training, etc.) and then returned to my home unit, where I eventually dropped from sight. In the end, just like President Bush, I got an honorable discharge. But unlike President Bush, I have just told the truth about my service. He hasn't.

At least I don't think so. Nothing about Bush during that period -- not his drinking, not his partying -- suggests that he was a consistently conscientious member of the Texas or Alabama Air National Guard. As it happens, there are no records to show that Bush reported for duty during the summer and fall of 1972. Nonetheless, Bush insists he was where he was supposed to be -- "Otherwise I wouldn't have been honorably discharged," Bush told Tim Russert. Please, sir, don't make me laugh.

It is sort of amazing that every four or eight years, Vietnam -- that long-ago war -- rears up from seemingly nowhere and comes to figure in the national political debate. In 1988 Dan Quayle had to answer for his National Guard service. In 1992 Bill Clinton had to grapple with the question of how he avoided the Vietnam-era draft. Now George Bush, who faced this question the last time out, has to face it again. The reason is that this time he is likely to compete against a genuine war hero. John Kerry did not duck the war.

But George Bush did. He did so by joining the National Guard. Bush now wants to drape the Vietnam-era Guard with the bloodied flag of today's Iraq-serving Guard -- "I wouldn't denigrate service to the Guard," Bush warned during his interview with Russert -- but the fact remained that back then the Guard was where you went if you did not want to fight. That was the case with me. I opposed the war in Vietnam and had no desire to fight it. Bush, on the other hand, says he supported the war -- as long, it seems, as someone else fought it.

It hardly matters what Bush did or did not do back in 1972. He is not the man now he was then -- that by his own admission. In the same way, it did not matter that Clinton ducked the draft, because, really, just about everyone I knew at the time was doing something similar. All that really matters is how one accounts for what one did. Do you tell the truth (which Clinton did not)? Or do you do what I think Bush has been doing, which is making his National Guard service into something it was not? In his case, it was a rich kid's way around the draft.

In my case, it was something similar -- although (darn!) I was not rich. I was, though, lucky enough to get into a National Guard unit in the nick of time, about a day before I was drafted. I did my basic and advanced training (combat engineer) and returned to my unit. I was supposed to attend weekly drills and summer camp, but I found them inconvenient. I "moved" to California and then "moved" back to New York, establishing a confusing paper trail that led, really, nowhere. For two years or so, I played a perfectly legal form of hooky. To show you what a mess the Guard was at the time, I even got paid for all the meetings I missed.

In the end, I wound up in the Army Reserve. I was assigned to units for which I had no training -- tank repairman, for instance. In some units, we sat around with nothing to do and in one we took turns delivering antiwar lectures. The National Guard and the Reserves were something of a joke. Everyone knew it. Books have been written about it. Maybe things changed dramatically by 1972, two years after I got my discharge, but I kind of doubt it.

I have no shame about my service, but I know it for what it was -- hardly the Charge of the Light Brigade. When Bush attempts to drape the flag of today's Guard over the one he was in so long ago, when he warns his critics to remember that "there are a lot of really fine people who have served in the National Guard and who are serving in the National Guard today in Iraq," then he is doing now what he was doing then: hiding behind the ones who were really doing the fighting. It's about time he grew up.
So what do you think? Was Bush a Vietnam-era deserter or not? (Using Michael Moore's terminology...)

That is so sad, no I dont think Bush is a deserter. Why is it okay to dig up things about politicians you seem to despise versus those you do not.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by 7thson
That is so sad, no I dont think Bush is a deserter. Why is it okay to dig up things about politicians you seem to despise versus those you do not.
I agree. When it comes to politics I have always felt that the politics should come first, not private life or events way back in the past. On the other hand, it become a bit problematic when a country's Commander-in-chief, and a wartime Commander-in-chief as well, have a shady background in the military.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

BANNED
The difference being, of course, that Bush has jeopardized the lives of American soldiers (as well as Iraqi civilians) by (mis)leading the country into a deceptive war. I think Bush's record as a "deserter" (to use Moore's terminology) is extremely relevant, and not just because Clinton and Dean were accused of dodging the draft... I think it is important to establish the facts... this is not about rumor-mongering or hearsay to the end of character-assassination. It is about the facts... taken in context, of course.

Being an Army brat, this whole thing is pretty laughable to me because the military is famous for misplacing records… and if you’ll notice, Richard Cohen even admitted to that in his article…

For two years or so, I played a perfectly legal form of hooky. To show you what a mess the Guard was at the time, I even got paid for all the meetings I missed.
If Cohen got paid for missed drills then isn’t it just as likely Bush could have been at drill? And it is my understanding that the National Guard only drills one week-end out of a month and two weeks out of a year… so… if that was the case when Bush was in, wouldn’t some of the news reports be a bit misleading the way they are worded?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

BANNED
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Being an Army brat, this whole thing is pretty laughable to me because the military is famous for misplacing records… and if you’ll notice, Richard Cohen even admitted to that in his article…

If Cohen got paid for missed drills then isn’t it just as likely Bush could have been at drill? And it is my understanding that the National Guard only drills one week-end out of a month and two weeks out of a year… so… if that was the case when Bush was in, wouldn’t some of the news reports be a bit misleading the way they are worded?
That's a plausible explanation, but, based upon what I know of Bush so far, I think Cohen's explanation is far more likely.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Django
The difference being, of course, that Bush has jeopardized the lives of American soldiers (as well as Iraqi civilians) by (mis)leading the country into a deceptive war. I think Bush's record as a "deserter" (to use Moore's terminology) is extremely relevant, and not just because Clinton and Dean were accused of dodging the draft... I think it is important to establish the facts... this is not about rumor-mongering or hearsay to the end of character-assassination. It is about the facts... taken in context, of course.
I guess these would be good points if M Moore was a reliable source, which he has proven himself to clearly not be by lying in his film. I used to have respect for the man, but not anymore. To bad, as he is really intelligent, and could have been a good public voice.

http://www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com/

Even if we were to assume Bush's guilt in this matter, the terminology is misleading. "Deserter" is the kind of thing you would say about a man who ran from enemy fire on the battlefield, leaving his fellow soldiers to die. It's not a reasonable term to describe someone failing to show up for a couple weekend drills.

That said, there's no way to prove Bush was there without video cameras, but we have records indicating that he was paid as if he was, and we have several officers who remember him there. That's not proof, but it's enough evidence that, when viewed in conjunction with the idea that a man is innocent until proven guilty, we must therefore render Bush innocent of these charges.

Whether you believe him personally or not is going to depend on what you thought of him beforehand, more often than not.

To impose "Deserter" status on Bush is quite frankly obsurd. Now before I continue I want the following to be known :
1. I did vote for Bush but I am not a Republican
2. I also am not a Democrat, but I did support and voted for Clinton and agree with most of his political asperations.
3. I consider myself an Independent and believe it or not I think both parties have solid convictions, but they are so often misguided.

Okay now to my point:
Bush in no way shape or form was a deserter, as Yoda pointed out a "deserter" would be one who abandoned his fellow soilder or went AWOL from a unit that was in Combat. Was Bush AWOL at a time? Maybe and maybe not, but it really does not matter. AWOL is not as serious as it seems unless it is done while you are part of a combat unit which he clearly was not. I have been a member of both the active Army and the National Guard. Being AWOL is more common than most people think. I know some good people who have been AWOL and I would like to add that they are some of the most patriotic people I know. "AWOL" does not mean "Deserter", give it a rest; and for the sake of argument lets say Bush was AWOL at a time...who cares? It made no difference to the well being of this country. It is his demons that he has to deal with, not ours. Just as Clintons demons of adultery are his to bear. Judge Bush on his current actions, as controversial as they may be, but do not fog the present situation in this country with the past of a young man who may have made mistakes. Lord knows I have made some.

Didn't see it.
I wouldn't rely on anything Michael Moore says about a Republican. He's about as liberal as you can get.

That's a plausible explanation, but, based upon what I know of Bush so far, I think Cohen's explanation is far more likely.

What Cohen’s explanation fails to mention is the fact that Bush joined the National Guard in May 1968... went through 6 weeks of basic training at Lackland Air force Base… 53 weeks of flight training at Moody Air Force Base… 21 weeks of fighter inceptor training at Ellington Air Force Base… and that when his training was complete, he had served 2 years active duty and was certified to fly F-102 fighter planes… The Air Force does not hand out certificates to fly those planes lightly… and in order to maintain their certification, the pilots must put in the required amount of flight time… which adds up to much more then just one drill week-end a month… The records verify Bush did exactly that… flying at least once a week and sometimes twice a week from May 1970 until May of 1972... adding two more years of service for a total of four already served before his service is questioned for the months of May, June, July, August, and September of 1972...

From what I understand, during the months in question, Bush was temporarily moving to Alabama and requested he be allowed to fulfill his obligations at a base there… his request was approved and he was assigned to Dannerlly Air National Guard Base… however, Dannerlly did not house enough planes for their own pilots to fly, much less a pilot assigned to temporary duty… and since Bush was not flying at this time, his obligation to the Guard would have been reduced to the normal 2 days per month… so basically, this whole stink is over 10 days…

If you dig a little deeper in the records, Guardsmen back then were awarded points based on the days they reported for service and Bush was awarded 56 points for 1972… 6 points above the requirement. I asked some Guardsmen I know about this and they said it was not unusual for members to either pre-drill if they knew they might miss a drill or to make-up a drill date at a later time… which very well could be what Bush did or the records could have been misplaced since he was only assigned to temporary duty… either way, I think the whole thing is ridiculous given his prior National Guard attendance record…

And as for Richard Cohen… I showed his article to my Dad and he said that Cohen, himself, may have been a joke… but that he was out of line saying the entire National Guard was a joke. He said he served with numerous Guardsmen in Viet Nam… and that if anyone cared to check, thousands of the Guardsmen who were state side during the time Cohen was “serving” were wearing combat patches on their shoulders for active duty already served…

BANNED
Originally Posted by Sedai
I guess these would be good points if M Moore was a reliable source, which he has proven himself to clearly not be by lying in his film. I used to have respect for the man, but not anymore. To bad, as he is really intelligent, and could have been a good public voice.

As it happens, Michael Moore did not lie in his films. The allegation that he lied is simply more Republican character assassination. If Moore's film was inaccurate to the slightest degree, you can bet that the NRA would have filed a massive lawsuit against him for misrepresentation. As it happens, Moore's film Bowling for Columbine was carefully researched and underwent rigorous scrutinization from the point of view of accuracy prior to its release. You need to check out Moore's own defense of the objections made against his film.

BANNED
Originally Posted by Yoda
Even if we were to assume Bush's guilt in this matter, the terminology is misleading. "Deserter" is the kind of thing you would say about a man who ran from enemy fire on the battlefield, leaving his fellow soldiers to die. It's not a reasonable term to describe someone failing to show up for a couple weekend drills.

That said, there's no way to prove Bush was there without video cameras, but we have records indicating that he was paid as if he was, and we have several officers who remember him there. That's not proof, but it's enough evidence that, when viewed in conjunction with the idea that a man is innocent until proven guilty, we must therefore render Bush innocent of these charges.

Whether you believe him personally or not is going to depend on what you thought of him beforehand, more often than not.
The term "deserter" applies to anyone who is AWOL for more than 30 days. As such, considering that Bush was AWOL for months on end, Bush was, technically, a "deserter". Maybe he did not run from enemy fire on the battlefield... the reason being that he never was on the battlefield in the first place! Being the spoilt rich kid that he obviously was (and the facts clearly demonstrate this), he was able to squirm his way out of active military duty and, instead, take a short cut out of a tough situation.

BANNED
BTW

Bill was a draft dodger, so lets keep that in mind shall we?

Regardless, I was a Bill fan
Yes, but Clinton had no pretensions of being a great military commander. Clinton was a pacifist and made no bones about that. He claimed that he opposed the Vietnam War on grounds of conscience. Whatever the validity of that claim, at least he did not pretend to be the soldier that he obviously was not. Bush, on the other hand, reaps the economic benefit of placing other people's lives at risk through the baseless military invasion of a sovereign nation (on blatantly fallacious grounds) while pretending to be this great military commander... the "commander-in-chief"... when, in actual fact, he was a deserter during the Vietnam War. That makes him a liar and a deserter.

The term "deserter" applies to anyone who is AWOL for more than 30 days. As such, considering that Bush was AWOL for months on end, Bush was, technically, a "deserter".
You apparently have a very low level of reading comprehension. I'm well aware that the term is technically correct when used under that criteria. What I said, however, was that the terminology is misleading, and it is.

Maybe he did not run from enemy fire on the battlefield... the reason being that he never was on the battlefield in the first place! Being the spoilt rich kid that he obviously was (and the facts clearly demonstrate this)
The facts demonstrate that his family was well-off, yes. The idea that he was spoiled, however, is your own spin and speculation.

he was able to squirm his way out of active military duty and, instead, take a short cut out of a tough situation.
Tell me: what percentage of National Guard air force units were called into battle during the Vietnam war? If you don't know, then your accusation of squirming out of duty is unfounded.

there's a frog in my snake oil
A brit comedian called Rory Bremner put it quite nicely recently: While Kerry and others were off fighting Communism in Vietnam, Bush was at home fighting plaque

There's the point right there. Whether he attended NG duty or not, he ran away from a war he supported. He certainly shouldn't turn up on warships in pilot's uniform and play off this **** for the glory without having got involved in the guts.

(maybe if he'd flown in on one of the obsolete planes he trained in.......nah, it still wouldn't wash. Some stuff stinks too bad )

Erm, when did he lie? He definitely over-spins and over-asserts some stuff in his books and docs, but i don't think he's "lied" as such. Which bits are you thinking of? (incidently, my impression is that he loves the ole US, which is why he worries about gun-crime/democratic-process etc etc)

BANNED
Originally Posted by 7thson
To impose "Deserter" status on Bush is quite frankly obsurd. Now before I continue I want the following to be known :
1. I did vote for Bush but I am not a Republican
2. I also am not a Democrat, but I did support and voted for Clinton and agree with most of his political asperations.
3. I consider myself an Independent and believe it or not I think both parties have solid convictions, but they are so often misguided.

Okay now to my point:
Bush in no way shape or form was a deserter, as Yoda pointed out a "deserter" would be one who abandoned his fellow soilder or went AWOL from a unit that was in Combat. Was Bush AWOL at a time? Maybe and maybe not, but it really does not matter. AWOL is not as serious as it seems unless it is done while you are part of a combat unit which he clearly was not. I have been a member of both the active Army and the National Guard. Being AWOL is more common than most people think. I know some good people who have been AWOL and I would like to add that they are some of the most patriotic people I know. "AWOL" does not mean "Deserter", give it a rest; and for the sake of argument lets say Bush was AWOL at a time...who cares? It made no difference to the well being of this country. It is his demons that he has to deal with, not ours. Just as Clintons demons of adultery are his to bear. Judge Bush on his current actions, as controversial as they may be, but do not fog the present situation in this country with the past of a young man who may have made mistakes. Lord knows I have made some.
Bush was AWOL for several months on end from National Guard duty during the Vietnam War. That makes him a deserter, in my book! Technically, a deserter is someone who is AWOL for more than 30 consecutive days. That's what it is during peacetime, but during the Vietnam War... that's a whole other ball game. Judge Bush on his actions... let's see... AWOL for months on end during the Vietnam War (which technically makes him a deserter)... lying to the country and exploiting the post-9/11 situation to lead the country into an unnecessary foreign war, from which he greatly profits by placing innocent lives at risk... what does it say about the man's character? From the most conservative of standpoints, he looks like a reprehensible character. FYI, I do not consider myself politically affiliated one way or the other. I consider myself to be an independent voice.

Originally Posted by Golgot
There's the point right there. Whether he attended NG duty or not, he ran away from a war he supported. He certainly shouldn't turn up on warships in pilot's uniform and play off this **** for the glory without having got involved in the guts
If you're going to claim that he "ran away" from it, you've got to demonstrate that the National Guard was, in fact, a refuge for those deliberately avoiding battle. It's an accusation serious enough that simply repeating something read in an article about what is allegedly "common knowledge" is not sufficient.

As for a "war he supported" -- I've read many a quote from Bush saying that it was a "political war." I'm not saying you're wrong, but what leads you to believe Bush supported the war in Vietnam?

Originally Posted by Golgot
Erm, when did he lie? He definitely over-spins and over-asserts some stuff in his books and docs, but i don't think he's "lied" as such. Which bits are you thinking of? (incidently, my impression is that he loves the ole US, which is why he worries about gun-crime/democratic-process etc etc)
I wouldn't even know where to begin. Simple physics make his confrontation with Charlton Heston dubious to the point at which one could reasonably call it dishonest...the shot cuts back and forth in a narrow walkway, but both angles (one showing Moore, one showing Heston) could not have been shot simultaneously, seeing as how no camera is shown in either.

There's a fine line between stretching the truth and lying, a line which the "Wonderful World" montage straddles far more than any self-proclaimed "documentary" ought to. Moore believes that because his overall message is correct, his skewing is justified to make a point. I would hope that more sensible folks like yourself, Gol, would refrain from defending him for what I presume are similar reasons.

BANNED
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
What Cohen’s explanation fails to mention is the fact that Bush joined the National Guard in May 1968... went through 6 weeks of basic training at Lackland Air force Base… 53 weeks of flight training at Moody Air Force Base… 21 weeks of fighter inceptor training at Ellington Air Force Base… and that when his training was complete, he had served 2 years active duty and was certified to fly F-102 fighter planes… The Air Force does not hand out certificates to fly those planes lightly… and in order to maintain their certification, the pilots must put in the required amount of flight time… which adds up to much more then just one drill week-end a month… The records verify Bush did exactly that… flying at least once a week and sometimes twice a week from May 1970 until May of 1972... adding two more years of service for a total of four already served before his service is questioned for the months of May, June, July, August, and September of 1972...

From what I understand, during the months in question, Bush was temporarily moving to Alabama and requested he be allowed to fulfill his obligations at a base there… his request was approved and he was assigned to Dannerlly Air National Guard Base… however, Dannerlly did not house enough planes for their own pilots to fly, much less a pilot assigned to temporary duty… and since Bush was not flying at this time, his obligation to the Guard would have been reduced to the normal 2 days per month… so basically, this whole stink is over 10 days…

If you dig a little deeper in the records, Guardsmen back then were awarded points based on the days they reported for service and Bush was awarded 56 points for 1972… 6 points above the requirement. I asked some Guardsmen I know about this and they said it was not unusual for members to either pre-drill if they knew they might miss a drill or to make-up a drill date at a later time… which very well could be what Bush did or the records could have been misplaced since he was only assigned to temporary duty… either way, I think the whole thing is ridiculous given his prior National Guard attendance record…

And as for Richard Cohen… I showed his article to my Dad and he said that Cohen, himself, may have been a joke… but that he was out of line saying the entire National Guard was a joke. He said he served with numerous Guardsmen in Viet Nam… and that if anyone cared to check, thousands of the Guardsmen who were state side during the time Cohen was “serving” were wearing combat patches on their shoulders for active duty already served…
A very convincing portrait, I must say, and one that really makes Bush sound like the paradigm of duty and integrity! Which is why it is completely misleading and completely off!

Let's face it... Bush was AWOL for months on end, which, technically makes him a deserter. And it was during wartime, which makes him a deserter even in Yoda's context... if he is AWOL during wartime, he is clearly running away from a war.

Furthermore, Bush was assigned to the National Guard in Texas and Alabama, of all places! If that doesn't tell you anything, you would have to be blind! With his father's influence, his family influence... he was obviously running away from active duty.

To Yoda: that Bush was a spoilt rich kid is not "my spin of the facts". It is a fact corroborated by his lifestyle during his college years. His partying and alcoholism, to say nothing of the DUI he has on his record.

If records can be misplaced in the army, isn't it as likely that attendance records can be forged or certifications can be bought? Considering the Bush family influence and considering that we're talking about Texas and Alabama, I think that this scenario is more than likely.