The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY

RT – 85%, IMDb – 7.4

Roger Ebert said:

"The movie is an intelligent a thriller as you'll see this year. It is also insidious in the way it leads us to identify with Tom Ripley. He is the protagonist, we see everything through his eyes ... He's a monster, but we want him to get away with it." (read full review here)
Haley Mlotek said:

"Minghella keeps Highsmith’s thriller element, though loses the noir in favor of tortured love: A heist movie in slow motion, Ripley’s motives reveal themselves in the moment. But he comes to the melodrama genre honestly, with much coded commentary on unspoken assumptions." (read full review here)
@Gideon58 said:

"Minghella's intelligent screenplay is matched by his crisp and detailed direction that always raises questions for me every time I have watched this film, but the brilliant performances by Matt Damon and Jude Law, who received a Best Supporting Actor nomination are a primary selling point as well." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... SHALLOW GRAVE

RT – 71%, IMDb – 7.3

Roger Ebert said:

"All of the materials are in place for a film that might have pleased [George] Orwell. But somehow they never come together. One of the problems, I think, is that all three conspirators are so unpleasant. Not evil - that would be fine, in material like this - but simply obnoxious in a boring way." (read full review here)
Mark Cunliffe said:

"It’s a dark yet deeply witty almost neo noir concerning three Edinburgh flatmates ... who are seeking a fourth flatmate at the start of the film ... Maybe it shouldn’t have worked so well, but it did. And it gets better with each viewing " (read full review here)
@Holden Pike said:

"Like many wonderful movies it defies easy classification, but the deceit, betrayals, and darkness qualify it enough as a Neo Noir in my book. Whatever one calls it, the ride is a fun one." (read full review here)

Shallow Grave was one of my picks.

In 1994 everybody was impressed with Tarantino’s Pulp Fiction and Luc Besson’s Léon, and rightly so. But there were two other crime movies, both directorial debuts, that I liked as much if not more. One was Boaz Yakin’s Fresh and the other was Danny Boyle’s Shallow Grave. Not even knowing it is a crime film is probably the best way to see it the first time, watching three smartass, gloriously smug roommates comically torturing prospective boarders for sport. But once there is a dead body and a suitcase full of cash, things take a turn. And then keep turning. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre-like lust for the cash brings out the worst in our three friends, some of them more quickly than others. Darkly comic touches plus some masterful suspense scenes had Shallow Grave favorably labeled Hitchcockian, and while most modern thrillers that get the tag fail to live up to it, for me Danny Boyle and company deliver in spades. And shovels.

In Noir terms their fates are sealed the moment they decide to keep the money, because like all Noir protagonists they foolishly believe they can outwit and outrun the trouble and encroaching darkness that comes with a bag full of loot one did not earn. I had Shallow Grave at number fifteen on my ballot, good for eleven of its thirty-eight points. Favorite quote: “You didn’t tell me this was for children. I hate children. I’d raise money to have the little fu*kers put down. I want my money back!”

HOLDEN'S BALLOT
15. Shallow Grave (#95)
25. Johnny Handsome (DNP)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Even though it's linked on Holden's review above, our recent and fresh Neo-noir Hall of Fame thread is worth a visit where you can check out a bunch of thoughts and reviews on the film from some of us.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#96. The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)

I've not considered this for the ballot only because of the great competition in the scope.
Saw it in the theatre when it came out and several more times since then (last time couple of months ago). That's a very watchable movie. Superb story and superb screenplay, amazing filming locations... but most of all, what a cast! Six stars of then emerging new generation (Jude Law, Damon, Paltrow, Blanchett, Hoffman, Jack Davenport), supported by James Rebhorn and Philip Baker Hall, Wow!
I've expected it a bit higher in this list. Anyway, I'm glad that the two voters regarded it high on their ballots.

Yeah, a monumental film for the generation of those days.
-
87/100

Saw The Talented Mr. Ripley in the theater when it came out and loved it. *cough, Psychological Thriller, *cough.

I won’t go all Siddon on this film, so I’ll only say there are a couple of 1-pointers I deem way more worthy of top hundred placement than Shallow Grave.

^ (Christopher (not) Walken )

Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead is dope and was in consideration for my list briefly. Great cast, Garcia and especially Walken really killed it. It has a sort of Pulp Fiction vibe to it (like a lot of films from the mid to late 90’s) which took away a bit from the noir vibe for me, so I ultimately didn’t vote for it.

Seen both of today's reveals. I liked The Talented Mr Ripley, but don't remember it well. In fact I don't remembering watching it, but I found an old post here that said I liked it, so I guess I did!

I didn't care much for Shallow Grave and seen it in the 15th HoF. Here's an excerpt of what I wrote.

Shallow Grave (1994)

I have to say the first 18 minutes were a drag...yes, I timed it. I quickly grew tired of the trendy, aka trying way to hard to be hip, film making vibe that those first 18 minutes gave off. I don't know if I was suppose to find the interviews of the prospective roommates funny, but I didn't, grating was more like it. Luckily after 18 minutes the movie settles down and I became interested in the story.

Did they have one nice apartment flat or what? Very cool looking decor, especially the 1950s Electroluxe refrigerator...very cool! It was odd though that the set designer took the nickle chrome finish off the fridge and redone it in gold plating. Then again, thinking about the early 1990s I remember gold plated looking faucets and light fixtures were a big deal then. I always liked nickel chrome better myself. Someone said the film really looks like the early 90s was a long time ago, yup and this film is like a time machine back to big glasses, blow dried hair, long sweaters and bulky computer monitors!

Kerry Fox and Christopher Eccleston were both OK in this. But could Ewan McGregor be anymore annoying? Ugh, just looking at that photo makes me want to slap his smug lil' face.
WARNING: "ending" spoilers below
Which then makes the movie's surprise ending all the more fun!

The trick is not minding
Seen both. Both are good, decent films. Didn’t think The Talented Mr Ripley was a Neo noir but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it.

4/6.*
Good recovery after my 0-2 start.

*will be 5/6 once I watch The American Friend soon.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
...and now, One of the most important films of the 90's for me:

#95. Shallow Grave (1994) got 18 pts from me landing at #8 on my ballot.

I've discovered this by chance in the early 2000's at the local VHS rental place. Seen it couple more times since then.
I'd say, next to Trainspotting, this is the other masterpiece by Danny Boyle. Amazing original story, superb cast - McGregor, Eccleston, Fox, all performed top level acting.
The interior scenes at the artistic apartment of the main characters (basically half of the screen time) are real film art. What a pleasure! I can watch them over and over again.
Alas, seeing it was well discussed during the preliminary period, I've had a hope it will be much higher on the countdown list. After all, nice that there were two more supporters for this film.
++
94/100

-----

My Ballot

8. Shallow Grave (1994) [#95]

-----

My Near Misses:

The Ninth Gate (1999)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)

AWARDS?

The Talented Mr. Ripley received a ton of nominations for numerous awards, but some of its most notable noms and wins were:
  • Five (5) Academy Award nominations, including Best Supporting Actor (Jude Law) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Anthony Minghella)
  • Seven (7) BAFTA nominations, winning Best Supporting Actor (Jude Law)
  • Five (5) Golden Globe nominations, including Best Drama Picture, Best Director (Minghella) and Best Performances (Matt Damon and Law)
  • Seven (7) Satellite Award nominations
  • Four (4) Blockbuster Entertainment Award nominations, including one win (Jude Law)
  • Three (3) National Board of Review Awards, including Best Director (Minghella) and Best Supporting Actor (Philip Seymour Hoffman)

AWARDS?

Shallow Grave received the following awards and nominations:
  • BAFTA Award for Best British Film
  • Cognac Festival du Film Policier Grand Prix and Audience Award
  • Empire Award for Best British Film, Best Director (Danny Boyle), and Best British Actor (Ewan McGregor)
  • Angers European First Film Festival Award for Best Screenplay (Boyle) and Feature Film

I've seen both of today's reveals, but voted for neither. I originally quite liked Shallow Grave, but when I rewatched it for the 15th HoF, it dragged a little more than I had originally remembered and I haven't revisited it since. I didn't immediately consider it for my shortlist, but when I saw it was nominated for the Neo-noir HoF, I quickly added it in... though it didn't survive the first round of cuts.

The Talented Mr. Ripley is a film I kept catching various parts of on tv for years, without ever seeing it from start to finish. I eventually did sit down and watch the entire thing, though it was so long ago now that I don't recall many of the details. It didn't come to my mind at all when I was making my list, though if I had my time back I definitely would've added it to my rewatch list.

From yesterday's reveals, I only saw one of the films. I know I've seen both the older and newer versions of The Manchurian Candidate, though please don't ask any follow-up questions regarding either film, because that's about all I do remember haha.

Seen:
3/6

My List:
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

I very much like The Talented Mr. Ripley and In the Heat of the Night, and I believe the latter may have squeezed onto my 60's ballot.

Only seen The Manchurian Candidate once, and it was solid but didn't leave a big impression. I owe it another watch.

Seen Shallow Grave twice and I don't care for it.

There's already been multiple films that never had a chance at my ballot because I don't personally view them as noir, and I'm sure there will be many more. It's probably not worth mentioning again unless a big time favorite shows up.

I absolutely loved The Talented Mr. Ripley, enough that it prompted me to look up the book. And lucky for me the success of the movie brought about a revival of Patricia Highsmith’s work. I have since read all five of the Ripley books three times each, and all her other novels at least twice. So yeah, I became a big fan. I, however, never thought to include it on my list, which is funny because I did not forget about the other adaptation of the novel, which should also show up on the countdown, making for three Ripley movies in the top 100.

I liked Shallow Grave especially the scene where they are interviewing roommates. But it is not on my list.

But TA DAAAA!

11. The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
is on my list. This is a favorite of mine. The cast is fabulous. Lovely supporting role by Cate Blanchett and great supporting role by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Jude Law is so beautiful. It just kills me how good looking he is. Damon quietly holds it all together. Isn't this by the director of The English Patient? I have seen this movie many times and I have it to thank for introducing me to Chet Baker.

Shallow Grave - Three flatmates in Edinburgh set off a chain of events after finding out their mysterious new flatmate dead in his room, with a bag full of money.
Some commentary:
Shallow Grave(1994)

Being a black comedy, the film has neither the mood nor the look of a noir. But it does contain a familiar noir trope: a person or persons are enticed by something that they know is wrong or illegal, but they do it anyway, and in the end suffer the consequences.

A trio of flatmates in Edinburgh are looking for an additional boarder to help with the rent. After auditioning several who didn’t fit the bill they finally accept a good candidate. But soon the new tenant dies of a drug overdose, after which the others discover a suitcase full of money left by the deceased. Following some deliberation they decide to dispose of the body in grisly fashion and keep the money. But presently they are shocked to realize that two criminals, having some relationship to the origin of the cash, are viciously in the hunt for the money filled suitcase. How those criminals discover the flatmates, along with the interaction of the trio of renters forms the rest of the action.

The chief feature of the production is the fine acting by a young Ewan McGregor, along with Christopher Eccelston and Kerry Fox. The quirky but uneven screenplay was from John Hodge (Trainspotting), directed by Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire). Based on the look of the film and its offbeat nature the producers were likely inspired by the Coen Brothers.

Both are decent films but I never really cared for either beyond that. Don't have much else to say there so carry on.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Shallow Grave isn't bad on the first watch....but it's rough to revisit that one. It's very 90's and if it wasn't done by an Oscar winner I think it would be forgotten.

Talented Mr Ripley is the best adaptation of the story but still not for me.

Some commentary:
Shallow Grave(1994)

Being a black comedy, the film has neither the mood nor the look of a noir. But it does contain a familiar noir trope: a person or persons are enticed by something that they know is wrong or illegal, but they do it anyway, and in the end suffer the consequences.
I agree it's probably in the outer rims of neo-noir, but I do think it has more noir elements to it than just that. You have three leads whose morals are questionable (to put it mildly), there is the element of paranoia in one of them, betrayal among all of them, a pessimistic feel to it, a bleak ending, the lighting is very striking, especially during the digging/burying scenes.

I think the fact that it leans more towards dark comedy is what keeps it in those outer rims.