Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Hanging Tree (1959)

-

This was a pretty good western, and not the coyboys/Indians type. I actually liked Gary Cooper more in this than I did in High Noon. He plays the main character, a doctor with a past, and not exactly a nice guy. Karl Malden is terrific, and I don't think there's anyone better at playing a weasel. George C. Scott has a small role in his first movie, and he's a scene stealer. The movie looks right and has a good theme song.

The Odd Couple (1968)

Up until now, I'd only watched the TV series but wanted to see the movie. For me, they are similar in story, but different animals. I truly loved this movie. Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon co-star in what would be their second of ten films together (although one featured Lemmon as director and Matthau as star, and one would have them not appearing in a scene together among an all-star cast). This one is truly funny, with the by-now familiar story of hypochondriac neat-freak Lemmon moving in with slob Matthau after Lemmon's wife throws him out. Things are fine at first until Lemmon's anal retentive ways drive Matthau up the wall and it's all-out war between the two. The supporting cast is fine but Lemmon and Matthau are the whole show. Great fun and great acting.

Tillie's Punctured Romance (1914)

The first film of famed silent-turned-sound actress Marie Dressler, who was a large woman who pulled some of the greatest faces in cinema. Here, her leading man is Charlie Chaplin, playing a character who looks a bit like his Tramp character, but is a con-man who runs away with Dressler because her dad is a wealthy farmer. He makes sure that the cash goes with them of course. His real girlfriend (Mabel Normand) is waiting for them in the city, where he proceeds to dump Dressler after stealing her money. She gets work in a restaurant. It turns out that Marie has a rich uncle who apparently dies in a fall down a mountain. She inherits his fortune and of course Charlie finds out and dumps Normand and runs off to marry Dressler. Lots of back-and-forth in the story, but the stunts and performances are what make the movie. Dressler, in addition to her great expressions, does a fantastic neck swivel when she's mad, and her and Charlie spend half the movie kicking each other in the butt. The last third of the movie is spent in her uncle's mansion with a huge party and dancing going on...or attempts at dancing going on. Then some shooting and a huge chase involving the famous Keystone Kops. At 90 minutes, it really never flags and it's a huge treat seeing Dressler and Chaplin in earlier roles. Highly recommended, especially if you like slapstick.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

The second "Sin City" movie from Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, and although the title infers that it's just one story, like the first film, it has several tales, most of which criss-cross each other. And Mickey Rourke's character, despite his tale finishing up in the first film, is back as Marv, the sometimes confused bruiser who helps out a couple of our characters here. Bruce Willis returns, despite his fate in the first film, although it's easily explained. The beautiful Eva Green is the "Dame" of the title, and she is indeed to kill for. Josh Brolin replaces Clive Owen as Dwight, this being a story before Dwight's tale in the first movie, which results in Dwight
WARNING: spoilers below
getting a new face, which here is supposed, I guess, to resemble Owen's but I'm not too sure.
Dwight is the sucker who keeps going back to Green, with bad consequences. Her "protector" is the chauffeur Manute, played last time by the late Michael Clarke Duncan, this time by Dennis Haysbert. If you see a pattern of actors being replaced, it doesn't really change the tone of the movie or the enjoyment. Also returning in their original roles are Rosario Dawson, Jessica Alba, Powers Boothe, and Jaime King. New to the world of Sin City, in addition to the aforementioned actors, are the excellent Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ray Liotta, Christopher Meloni, Jeremy Piven, Christopher Lloyd, Juno Temple, Stacy Keach, and, ahem, Lady Gaga. And she is pretty darn good, to be honest. Just like the first film, there is the green-screen process for most of the movie which works fine in Sin City's world, the hard-boiled story-telling, and the Tarantino-like style of tales out of order or time. If you liked the first one, you'll more than likely dig this one, too.

Welcome to the human race...
The Fifth Element -

Not great, but it holds up surprisingly well.

13 Hours (2016)

I love action movies, and while there is some strong action in this movie, I'm not a huge fan of the war type. Give me Die Hard or Commando over this or Black Hawk Down all day. I would have also liked to have seen some name actors. There is certainly something to having a no name cast in a movie based on a true story, but it is a Michael Bay film after all. The only person I recognized was friggin Gail from Breaking Bad, which I watched about 15 minutes earlier. On a side note, there were an awful lot of beards in this movie. This was a pretty solid movie, but not exactly for me. My wife ended up liking it a little more than I did.

Breaking Bad Season 3

Except for a couple less than exciting episodes in the latter half, this was an amazing season. I am literally drooling all over myself in anticipation for more. That season finale, and the way it ended, "yeah".

I agree about 13 hours, except for the name actor thing. Krazinski is probably the reason I watched it.

Either 3 or 4 is my fave of BB. Both fantastic. That series is great.

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)

Not a complete disaster as some critics are calling it, but it still felt very mediocre in almost every way. Relied too much on CGI in the action sequences, and there were too many characters stuffed into the plot to be able to care about them.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

I ended up enjoying this more than I imagined, but some of the issues really seemed to derail the movie at times. I don't know where I would rank it in Tarantino's filmography, but it is not near the top.

The first problem was the dialogue. The early stagecoach scene was glaring to me with it's stilted delivery. If his attempt was authenticity, maybe it was justified. It just seemed to drag down things and lacked the fluidity I associate with Tarantino.

The bloodwork really left me shaking me head. It wasn't the volume or graphic nature, but the absurdly unrealistic depiction. It just seemed like schlock from someone who couldn't afford to do it in a better manner. Then again, who am I to question an auteur?

There were parts that I enjoyed immensely. The Minnie's haberdashery set was amazing and a gem to behold. Jennifer Jason Leigh was the top of the class here and SLJ surprised me (even though I really disliked the snow-walk scene).

Finished here. It's been fun.
A Geisha

Moving and profound. One of Mizoguchi's finest.

Spotlight

Lacks any sense of artistic flourish, but a compelling drama regardless.

Age of Innocence

Apart from Taxi Driver and After Hours, Scorsese's greatest masterpiece. One of the best films I've seen all year.

Body Bags

Campy and poorly constructed schlock. Entertaining tho.

Better than I expected (better than most Marvel movies, in fact, except Spider Man 2 and Iron Man). Spider Man is a great character because he is more human than the typical "stoic macho" superheroes.