6th HOF-A Perfect World

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yeah there are people who hate Kevin Costner. I don't get it. Even in his weaker films I've always found him quite likable.

Actually the "Costner is a four letter word" line came directly from this site. The header of the old design would display a variety of slogans, one of which was "Where Costner is a four letter word." I always hated that particular slogan.

Oh and Waterworld isn't a great movie or anything, but it's a lot of fun.

I don't get the hate for Kevin Costner either. I haven't seen some of his more recent movies, but some of his movies are among my favorite movies.

Of the more recent films I've seen of his, the only one I can actually recommend is Mr. Brooks, but I don't know how much that film would appeal to you, GBG. His Hatfields and McCoys tv series was also quite good.

Nothing wrong with Waterworld ... The Postman however is one of the worst films I've ever seen

I'm personally not a fan of A Perfect World but that's not really because of Costner - it's probably his best performance.

Of the more recent films I've seen of his, the only one I can actually recommend is Mr. Brooks, but I don't know how much that film would appeal to you, GBG. His Hatfields and McCoys tv series was also quite good.

I saw Mr. Brooks, and I liked it, but it was on a TV channel with commercials, so I don't know how badly they cut it for television. I'm planning to watch it uncut eventually.

I bought the Hatfields and McCoys mini-series on DVD, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I've heard it's great, so I'm looking forward to it.

Some of my favorite Costner movies are American Flyers, No Way Out, Message in a Bottle, and Field of Dreams. I also loved the "Amazing Stories" episode "The Mission".

Man, I haven't seen Field of Dreams since I was a kid either, but I remember it being such a solid flick.

Nothing wrong with Waterworld ... The Postman however is one of the worst films I've ever seen

I'm personally not a fan of A Perfect World but that's not really because of Costner - it's probably his best performance.

I have The Postman on an old VHS tape, but I've never watched it because I heard it was terrible.

I haven't seen Field of Dreams in a long time either, but I always enjoyed it. Also really like Robin Hood, Dances With Wolves, Silverado, Bull Durham, Open Range and The Bodyguard.

Actually Open Range is a pretty recent one that I highly recommend. Excellent western.

I haven't seen Field of Dreams in a long time either, but I always enjoyed it. Also really like Robin Hood, Dances With Wolves, Silverado, Bull Durham, Open Range and The Bodyguard.

Actually Open Range is a pretty recent one that I highly recommend. Excellent western.

I liked Robin Hood and Bull Durham, but not as much as the other Costner movies that I listed previously. I saw Dances with Wolves back when it was in the theaters, and I remember loving the movie, but I haven't seen it since then, and I don't remember much about it anymore. I haven't seen the other movies that you listed.

Pretty sure we can all agree Man of Steel is his best film.

I was really looking forward to Man of Steel, but I was so disappointed with it.

But it wasn't really Costner's fault. I didn't like the actor who played Clark Kent/Superman.

I place the blame for MOS steel squarely on Zack Snyder.

I quite liked Costner and Crowe in it and have nothing against Cavill (he's a niece piece of a... I mean eye candy). It was the movie itself that sucked, but given that Snyder is also responsible for the turd that is 300, I can't say I was surprised.

I blame the terrible script and terrible execution of said terrible script.

Well it is Superman. A terrible script is to be expected.

I only watched it for the cast.

I think I'm one of the few people who didn't hate Superman Returns. I thought the movie was only okay, but there were some scenes where Brandon Routh looked eerily like a young Christopher Reeve.

Hey Sane - I remember you saying American Sniper was the culmination of everything bad about Clint Eastwood as a director. Something like that (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't mean to misrepresent what you said). And you said you didn't like this film, so I assume you have similar problems. Can you elaborate a bit as to the problems? Just curious. I'm sorry if you've mentioned this elsewhere, I must have missed it.

Anyway, I just finished the film. It's similar to This Boy's Life for me in that it's very solid, but didn't overly blow me away. I thought Costner was good as ever. I did think Clint and the lady were a bit underdeveloped, but I get what Vicky is saying - This is Costner and the boy's story. In fact, I'm glad they focused more on those two because it made for a better and more engaging film (this should be obvious but it seems it isn't ). I have no real complaints. Good, solid nomination Vicky. I can certainly see why others fall for it. I'll probably pick it up for my dad some time and watch it with him. Think he'll like it.

+

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
While I agree that Red and Sally are underdeveloped characters, I feel that they provide a little more than just comic relief. The film revolves around the story of an escaped con being chased by police. As such, he needs someone to pursue him. If you listen to their stories, both Red and Sally have previous history with Butch, leaving both of them to see him as more than just a fugitive criminal and lending a bit of humanity to people we otherwise know little about.

But I don't think we need to know about them. The core of the film is the relationship between Butch and Philip.
I think that maybe they even needed to be in it less, if that was the case. It seemed like they were given too much baggage for what their role in the film was. It isn't a big criticism, just an observation.

I think that saying that Philip "came to like" Butch is oversimplifying what they had. Butch is the child's abductor but at the same time he fills the role of father figure and protector, as unlikely as he may be for that job.
Yes, and I liked that about the film.

I think also that part of the idea of the film is to see the humanity in people, even in a criminal. You call Butch a "bad guy" but I can't say that I agree with you entirely. Yes, he's a killer. He's a thief. He's a kidnapper. But he's also a man who won't tolerate people who are abusive to children or to women. As contradictory as it seems, he has his principles.
Typical Clint Eastwood characterisation there, the anti-hero, who may well be a curmudgeonly old sexist or a racist or even a murderer, but doesn’t stand for rape or child abuse, so he’s sort of a good guy even though he’s definitely a bad guy and probably dies heroically (or anti-heroically). Two for the price of one in this film, with Costner and Eastwood himself.

I also think that although he does become a father figure and a protector to the kid, he doesn't really stick to his own principles: getting angry at the old man for slapping the kid, when he is the one terrorising these and other innocent people, including the other little boy, with a gun. He shot the other escaped prisoner, but he is the one who kidnapped Philip and put him in that situation in the first place.

As to the ending, I don't think that it needed subtlety. It wouldn't have felt right to me if Philip had just run back to his mother when he had the chance, knowing that Butch is doomed. It also would've seemed out of place, given that Philip is only a child and, in my experience, subtlety is not something they're prone to displaying in emotional situations.
I'll give you that the child doesn't display subtlety and that's okay, but I don't think you can pin all the swelling music and Laura Dern shouting 'nooooo' on the kid!

But I respect you opinion, sad that I may be at the fact that "moderately decent" is the highest praise you could give a film I love so much. C'est la vie. Here's hoping the other participants see it differently.
I know the stuff I've said has been largely critical, but these are just some points for discussion.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Yeah there are people who hate Kevin Costner. I don't get it. Even in his weaker films I've always found him quite likable.

Actually the "Costner is a four letter word" line came directly from this site. The header of the old design would display a variety of slogans, one of which was "Where Costner is a four letter word." I always hated that particular slogan.

Oh and Waterworld isn't a great movie or anything, but it's a lot of fun.
I thought the general dislike of Costner had more to do with him as a director than an actor, so even people who are mortally offended by The Postman should be okay with this film. Another criticism I've heard of him is that he can come across as smug, which is more of a problem when he's playing the hero, I thought this role as a troubled criminal suited him well.

I've heard plenty of criticism of his acting as well as his directing.
His role as Robin Hood stands out as one where he got lots of criticism for his performance.