Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
In Order of Disappearance -

One of these days I'll figure out what exactly makes for a good (or even just a watchable) revenge movie, but whatever it is, this move has just enough of it.

Unregistered User
That looks interesting. How did you watch it? There doesn't seem to be a blu ray release.

It was on Netflix although I cant see it now? Could be removed. I think you'd like it, especially if you like Peter Mullan.

"Pretty Ugly People" (2009)

Frustratingly uneven in tone and with character development but sometimes funny and always unexpected. Tries to have the feel of The Big Chill but ends up coming across as the usual emotionally stunted and even derivative teenager mentality with big, sweeping moments that are about as subtle as an earthquake.Too messy to recommend but still remains a unique movie. Just not one that I enjoyed that much.

The Royal Tenenbaums is my favorite Wes Anderson. The best cast of any of his movies.
I could not agree with you more! I adore The Royal Tenenbaums. We get Hackman in possibly his best role, too. Rushmore is another superb film. I won't hijack this thread but now I need to consider getting thoughts out

Legend in my own mind

Notorious (2009)

I knew most of the story, but thought that this was poorly acted.

Put alongside other similar films it falls short.

'Straight outta compton' '8 mile' and others are better made.

To see this on the big screen was a very special treat. I have said on multiple occasions that the bigger the screen, the more powerful the art becomes. Mulholland Drive is no different. It enhanced the feeling of mystery, the surrealism, and especially the musical bits. Well worth the wait, and another of my all time favorite films I have now seen on the big screen. Alamo needs to have a screening of Apocalypse Now right quick!

The Crooked Way (1949)

-

From the noirs list, this movie is about an amnesia victim with a shady past, and someone is out to get him. I liked how visually dark the movie was and it's got a decent story. It's also a little brutal for it's age. I think it would have been a lot better with a more charismatic leading man.

Unbreakable (2000) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I don't actually wear pants.
I watched Hell to Eternity today, and it's disappointing. I didn't much like any of it, except the battle effects. Those were good, but it's, overall, poor. I did recognize a young George Takei, whom I met last year. I notice him in everything now, because I talked to him a bit last year.

Fun fact: George Takei was interned 30 miles south of where I live. He does the pilgrimage with the survivors of the internment, and spoke at the theatre my wife's aunt runs last year as part of their yearly event. He's a cool dude.

Wonder Woman -

The fact that I've been giving out a lot of 3/5 ratings lately makes me think that my rating system really needs an overhaul.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
...my rating system really needs an overhaul.
You have a system? I thought the strategy was to watch a movie, then poop on it.

You're right, the 3/5s are a bit surprising and confusing.

Storks (2016)

Fun-filled animated movie from Warner Animated Movies. The storks who used to deliver babies are now in the package delivery business. Once upon a time a wayward stork broke the delivery tracking system that would ensure correct delivery and kept the child instead. She grows up and is the only human working at the storks' giant mountain/skyscraper where the packages are sorted. The top delivering stork gets into an argument with the girl and she puts an old letter into a "baby machine" that creates babies out of the letter that pleads for a child. Voila! A baby is produced by the machine and comes out, although temporarily hidden in a container for safe delivery. The stork and the girl take off to correct this "error" by delivering the baby. They go through numerous adventures along the way, especially a terrific episode with marauding wolves. Meanwhile, the young boy who wrote the letter wishing for a baby brother is starting to bond with his neglectful parents.

The animation is great, the jokes are funny, and there is one set-piece that will remind fans of old Warner Brothers cartoons of the classic Baby Bottleneck starring Porky Pig and Daffy Duck. While maybe not a classic, this would make a fine addition to anyone's animated movie collection. I loved it.

I just saw Eraserhead (1977) and although I've enjoyed about 3/4 of David Lynch's output, this is my only reaction here about the above listed movie:

...for the mutant lizard baby.

Anyone who thinks I hate everyone and everything for the hell of it hasn't been paying attention.

I do think that ratings by themselves don't really communicate any degree of nuance even if you adopt some systems like grades or percentages or adding little pluses and minuses to your popcorn ratings (by the way, I'm still not sure how much difference there is between a
+ and a
-). Trying to impose a sort of "ceiling" on ratings to keep from overrating stuff means that you do end up grading everything on a really steep curve (just ask Mark F) and it impacts your ratings. Maybe Wonder Woman actually deserves a
but that means having to override the system I've ingrained over the past few years. The whole past year or so has been as much about unlearning as it has been about learning. Such is the way of things.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
@Iro I see your ratings frequently and I must tell you, they're almost always wrong. When they're occasionally similar to mine, our comments are often contradictory. It's a crap shoot.

This might just do nobody any good.
I actually really liked that one. Cute movie. I'd sooner watch a spin-off about the wolves than another minion movie.

I see your ratings frequently and I must tell you, they're almost always wrong. When they're occasionally similar to mine, our comments are often contradictory. It's a crap shoot.
Who are you referring to, MM?

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
You have a system? I thought the strategy was to watch a movie, then poop on it.

You're right, the 3/5s are a bit surprising and confusing.
Can we get a laugh face/like button just like on Facebook. I mean, its 2017 for god sake, we should be able to "press a laugh".