Tools    

Success is the only Earthly judge..
Not necessarily in this order...

1) Robert Rodriguez- For his ability to take next to nothing and make
a good movie.

2) John Carpenter- Cuz he filmed Halloween in 20 days with a
budget of only 320,000 ( most of which going to an actor
Cough* Pleasence *cough )

3) Akiro Kurosawa- How could you not like him???

your most likely gonna get some flack for making a thread that is obviously not that original and that we have a million duplicates of but I will answer it anyway.

1) Martin Scorsese - Not only because he made Taxi Driver but almost every one of his films that I have seen I love.
fav scorsese films: Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Mean Streets, Cape Fear, The King of Comedy.

2) Stanley Kubrick - His films have so much appeal and you can rewatch them tons of time and still get so much out of it.
fav Kubrick films: The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, 2001

3) Alfred Hitchcock - Master of Suspense and horror, he knew how to keep audiences at the edge of their seats and make so many timeless films
fav Hitchcock films: Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window, Vertigo, Strangers on a train

4) Spike Lee - Clearly has a firm belief about racism and what it can do to communities. Most of his films have a great message under the great story and characters
fav Lee films: Do the Right Thing, Jungle Fever, Crooklyn, He Got Game, Malcom X

5) John Carpenter - Very underated director, Halloween is one of my all time favorite films, and will always be in my book one of the greats when it comes to horror.
fav Carpenter films: Halloween, The Thing, The Fog, Escape from New York, They Live

I love Tim Burton. The dark feel he gives the movies he works on. Not Planet of the Apes though. I will never admitt he had anything to do with that crapfest of a movie.

How can I be weak,I'm Rather Unique
Martin Scorsese
Spike Lee

Sergio Leone
Quentin Tarintino
Akira Kurosawa
Tim Burton
Francis Ford Coppola
Akira Kurosawa
Alfred Hitchcock
Stanley Kubrick
Alejandro Amenábar

Off the top of my head:

John Carpenter
Michael Bay
Tim Burton
Ridley Scott
Steven Spielberg
Paul Verhoeven
George A. Romero
Peter Jackson
Robert Rodriguez
Oliver Stone
Larry Clark
Clive Barker
Sam Raimi
Wolfgang Petersen
and many others...

Kool Aid Man
1. John Carpenter
2. George A. Romero
3. Quientin (idk how to spell his name) Tarantino
4. Steven Spielberg (i can't spell)
5. Rob Zombie (I can't wait for his remake of Halloween)

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
your most likely gonna get some flack for making a thread that is obviously not that original and that we have a million duplicates of but I will answer it anyway.
Yeah, but this whole board is filled with unoriginal threads...annoyingly...

John Singleton with the Boyz n the Hood, which he wrote to.

I would have to go with Johhny To. You don't ever know what to expect.

i'm surprised to not see the guy who was hailed "the greatest movie maker of all time" recently in anyones list, its the guy at number 1 in my list.

1. David Lynch - No one comes close to the genius of this man.
2. M. Night Shyamalan - the most original movie maker of our times, goes on story telling rather then money grossing.
3. Hayao Miyazaki - not one dissapointing film from him yet, every one of his films move me.
4. Tim Burton - love the dark feel to his films, im a fan of art and he is a great artist.
5. Takeshi Miike - you will never guess whats next from this man.

crazed out movie freak
Guy Ritchie his work is amazing.

Steven Spielberg!

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by lynch
i'm surprised to not see the guy who was hailed "the greatest movie maker of all time" recently in anyones list, its the guy at number 1 in my list.
Sure he is. A few people list him in the Favorite Directors thread. You know, the thread this one duplicates. Not only is this thread a dupe, it's also in the wrong section.

So...yeah. Head on over to that thread to see which directors most members list as favorites.

Silencio!

David Cronenberg
Martin Scorcese
David Fincher
Tim Burton
David Lynch
Steven Spielberg

My favourite has to be Stanley Kubrick, other bests...

Martin Scorsese
Alfonso Cuaron
Pedro Almodovar
Darren Aronofsky
David Lynch

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by undercoverlover
ive never seen a david lynch film, if i had to watch only one which one would you guys recommend?
First off, decide if you like twisted ****. If you do, I recommend Mulholland Drive. One of my top three fav films of all time. It's confusing first time through, so you might have to watch it twice! It is totally worth it though. I know Blib didn;t like it at all first time through, and now he loves it.

Also watch

Blue Velvet
The Elephant Man
Lost Highway

and if you want to see something REALLY weird

Eraserhead

Short list:

Orson Welles
Robert Altman
Buster Keaton
Akira Kurosawa
Hal Hartley
John Sayles
Peter Greenaway
Wong Kar-Wai
Shohei Imamura
Tsui Hark
Hiroshi Teshigahara
Terrence Malick
Andrei Tarkovsky
Werner Herzog

There are plenty of other good ones, but these are the ones I will watch anything by.