The MoFo Top 100 of the Nineties Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Criterion has been trying to release it for a while now but apparently there are rights issues. All we have is a laserdisc and rips made from that source.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

100. Con Air - Not seen
99. Dong aka The Hole - Not seen
98. Speed -

97. Beauty and the Beast -

96. Edward Scissorhands -

95. F#cking Amal aka Show Me Love - Not Seen
94. The Sixth Sense -

93. Short Cuts -
(MY LIST)
92. Sling Blade - Not Seen
91. Heavenly Creatures - Not Seen
90. Dark City - Not Seen
89. Scream -

88. The Sweet Hereafter - Not Seen
87. Rushmore -

86. The Fifth Element -
+
85. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Not Seen
84. The Player -
(MY LIST)
83. Point Break - Not Seen
82. Batman Returns -

81. Farewell My Concubine -

80. Nema-ye Nazdik aka Close-Up - Not Seen
79. Naked Lunch - Not Seen
78. Duo luo tian shi aka Fallen Angels - Not Seen
77. JFK - Not Seen
76. A Brighter Summer Day - Not Seen
75. Happiness -

Happiness is a good film if you're a fan of dark humor. The film really goes far in its sickness in a very light and dry way. I found myself laughing out loud at the twisted scenes, while being disturbed at the same time.
It's pretty effective in that sense.

Its message is still a little vague to me and may be overshadowed by the disturbance of the film. The many reviews I read about the film didn't satisfy me enough in terms of its concrete subject.
It's obviously about unhappy people looking for happiness or some sort of satisfcation in very odd and deranged ways, but I don't get the statement Solondz is making. Maybe he just wanted to observe.

Anyway, it's a funny film and I enjoyed it a lot to a certain level.

I haven't seen or heard of A Brighter Summer Day, but it seems like an interesting film. It's probably not something for the near future, though, as my soon-to-watchlist is momentarily filled with Wong Kar Wai films and many others.

Looking forward to the next pair tomorrow!

60+ points to get on the list isn't much really... technically all it would take is 3 votes out of the 50+ lists to make the cut...

The real favourites that appealed to a lot of people will start showing at the 60th mark...

60+ points to get on the list isn't much really... technically all it would take is 3 votes out of the 50+ lists to make the cut...

The real favourites that appealed to a lot of people will start showing at the 60th mark...
Yeah, a movie like Batman Returns only got three votes.

I have seen Happiness and I didn't find it shocking, therefore based on its style I didn't find it particularly funny. I prefer Life During Wartime due to how colorful it is, but I'm not fond of it either. Not shocked that it made the list, since it gets a lot of love around here. Haven't heard of A Brighter Summer Day

Con Air in 100th place only made 42 points... if there were fewer people sent in lists, it would probably have been between 30 and 40 points to make the cut... which is pretty much one high vote and one low(ish) vote.

Placing in 60th-100th place doesn't take much really.

Edit: Example, The Fifth Element garnered 52 points altogether... making 86th place... 20 of those points were from me.

Son, do your cute little buddies want to come over tonight for a sleepover? I've got this Asian film nobody ever heard of, we can all lay in bed and watch it together.