Movies that try to hard!

Tools    

Have you ever seen a movie that tries just a little to hard to be good. I recently saw a film called Elephant and although it was very good it just wanted to be a masterpiece and it was never going to happen. I also think Donnie Darko tries to hard to be a brilliant film as it was still good but to be honest it was nothing special.

Anyway do you know any that youve seen?

A system of cells interlinked
Ok... Movies that try too hard....

Taking Lives
- All the hype and work went into what I consider absolute garbage. Zero emotion in most of the performances. This one did it all wrong...

Taking Lives was absolutely awful, one of the worst films of the year.

Napoleon Dynamite and Donnie Darko.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Napoleon Dynamite
agreed.

I didn't figure you for a dude who liked Donnie Holds.. Man, I am still thinking about how bad Taking Lives was...

WARNING: "Taking Lives" spoilers below
The way they telegraphed who the real killer was, by specifically saying "Well, it couldn't be this person because they don't fit such and such profile". It was at that moment I knew exactly who the killer was. Jolie's perfomance was bottom of the barrel. I can't remember her emoting even once in the film. When she is scrubbing herself down to cleanse herself, I could tell she was trying to act upset, but no one in the room watchiong was buying it. She didn't really seem all that upset.

The Butterfly Effect

So many good movies, so little time.
Duplex tried too hard to be War of the Roses and failed miserably.

Kingpin tried too hard to be Caddyshack but the gross out humor ruined it for me (but I still loved Bill Murray in it).

Calendar Girls tried too hard to be The Full Monty and failed.

Somethings got to Give tried to be As Good as it Gets and failed miserably.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

I ate all your bees.
Of the more recent movie I have seen 'The Chronicles of Riddick' felt to me like it was trying a tad too hard.

Randomly visiting for now
well a movie that I thought tried a little hard was

Underworld - what with the huge amounts of CGI and cool music, just seemed over the top in its attempts to appeal to action fans, some parts were good but you can't cover up a bat script/plot with special effects and soundtrack, although the original idea was good.

Also
Bicentennial Man - although I did like this movie overall I think it goes too far trying to make the audience cry towards the end, tries a little too hard.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Artificial Intelligence

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by uconjack
Calendar Girls tried too hard to be The Full Monty and failed..
It maybe the other way round, it may have been inspired by the true life story of these woman to write the Full Monty

By the way I love the Full Monty

Put me in your pocket...
View From the Top
Boat Trip

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
I'd rather see a movie try too hard than not try at all.
Some movies accomplish both....where they might try too hard in one area and completely drop the ball in another area. I'm thinking of the flood of movies this year aimed at the pre-teen and teen girls. SleepOver for instance, tried too hard to make situations happen in the story to get the girls interested, but didn't pay enough attention to the story and the message it was sending or writing in general.

Originally Posted by SpoOkY
well a movie that I thought tried a little hard was

Underworld - what with the huge amounts of CGI and cool music, just seemed over the top in its attempts to appeal to action fans, some parts were good but you can't cover up a bat script/plot with special effects and soundtrack, although the original idea was good.
Which cut did you see? I didn't like the theatrical cut but the extended edition flows much better. Also, bad script? I thought it was a very solid script and a cool idea as well, but initially a victim of bad editing. this has been fixed for the most part in the final cut. I am also fairly sure the script is based on actual legends...

There are those who call me...Tim.
Scary Movie
This would have worked far better if the film makers hadn't tried so hard to be funny, or shortened some of the jokes (e.g. woman running through sprinklers at beginning went on too long). What could have been a hilarious spoof came off as... not funny.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Agreed, but there's a thin line between trying too hard (though the viewer can see it's redeming qualities) and the throwing-enough-muck-at-the-wall-and-praying-some-of-it-will-stick approach of, say, The Butterfly Effect.

I am having a nervous breakdance
...and this thread is about those trying too hard.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Some movies accomplish both....where they might try too hard in one area and completely drop the ball in another area.
Yeah, I know what you mean.

It's often hard for commercially succesful filmmakers to gain the respect from the intellectual art crowd. At the same time, indie filmmakers (even though they'd deny it) often have a dream of making it in the mainstream. If they succeed to break through they will most certainly be accused of selling out. And I guess many filmmakers try too hard to do both these things.

So many good movies, so little time.
Cecil B. Demented tried too hard to be indie and not mainstream and as a result was not as good a movie as it could have been.