Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Owl and the Pussycat ...this is as raunchy as it got back in 1970.
Interesting comment about raunch considering this was also the year of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Where's Poppa?, The Boys in the Band and Myra Breckinridge. Some non-Hollywood films would include El Topo, The Music Lovers and Performance.

By the way, did you notice Richard Dreyfuss in The Owl and the Pussycat? He's the punk kid in the back seat of the car which holds three guys who chase and harrass Streisand and Segal near the end of the movie. Not even IMDb has a credit for Dreyfuss in the flick, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the net. I think Dreyfuss was using the bogus name "Stan Bryant", but I don't know why he doesn't own up to that part. His face is plain as day and you can also recognize his voice.

Out of those movies you mentioned I've only seen Where's Poppa? and El Topo, but I can't recall them as being raunchy. But wow! Great eyes, that's definitely Dreyfuss at 3:42

&feature=related

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

The Perfect Host (2010)
Directed by: Nick Tomnay
Written by: Nick Tomnay and Krishna Jones

John Taylor (Clayne Crawford who in my opinion looks just like a young Ray Liotta) has just robbed a bank and gotten away with 300,000 dollars, when he limps into a convenience store to get some bandages for his foot (I don’t think it ever shows how he hurt his foot) he catches a glimpse of himself on TV and realizes that there is a citywide search out for him, he has to find a place to lay low for a while. John abandons his car and starts walking through a random neighborhood, he finds a mailbox with a postcard inside, the postcard is from the residents’ daughter who is on vacation in Australia. When John knocks on the door you get your first look at Warwick (David Hyde Pierce), John pretends he is a friend of his daughter in Australia and tells Warwick that she told him that he should look up her father when he got back in town. Warwick invites John inside to stay for a little bit, in the beginning Warwick comes off as a very accommodating host offering wine and snacks to his guest so he basically plays his character Niles from Frasier with the same mannerisms and everything (but just in the beginning). A radio broadcast about the robbery makes John stop pretending, and starts getting violent and letting Warwick know who he really is. After John passes out from a few glasses of wine is when the movie really get’s interesting. I am not sure how much I want to say without giving away to much for someone who has not seen this.

I really was only familiar with David Hyde Pierce from the Frasier sitcom (I looked up some info on him and he’s mainly just done a ton of voice over’s and other smaller TV sitcom’s), his character in this movie after the twists start happening is amazing. He plays a character that in my opinion could come really close to competing with Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lamb’s, the sick and psychotic way that he acts and thinks in this film just blew me away. I kind of knew what this film was about before I watched it but there are just so many twists, you see a few of them coming but the really huge twists in the story I did not see coming at all and it just blew me away. This movie is great, watch this movie if you have not already, an awesome Psychological Thriller with minimal blood, so it’s great for people that don’t like all the gore.

Tyrannosaur
2011, Paddy Considine

mirror
warning: this is NOT an easy film to watch, and it's probably not a good idea to watch it if you're in a dismal mood. I wasn't in a particularly depressed state when I watched it and it still kicked my ass (that's been a thing with me lately, I guess?)

I watched this with the boyfriend, who described it as, "the British version of Gran Torino", which right after "NO, this is not a dinosaur action film" would actually make the perfect tagline, if you ask me.

Peter Mullan plays Joseph, a man beaten down by life, who reacts with abrupt violence to many of his life's hiccups. Little things which most normal people would just put up with (overhearing young kids play a loud, obnoxious game of pool while he tries to enjoy his beer at the pub, for example) tend to bring the guy over the edge.

Despite his violent outbursts, it's apparent he doesn't enjoy being that way. It all seems to change when he has some kind of wake up call after 'accidentally' taking it too far and killing his dog and is forced to bury him. Soon after these chain of events take place he meets Hannah, a sweet-hearted, timid Christian woman who runs a charity shop nearby. A lot of the stuff I found particularly hard to watch had to do with scenes between her and her husband, as he's a drunk who treats her quite awful most of the film. Eventually, something happens to Hannah and she herself 'snaps' - which threatens her state of mind as well as Peter's, who is trying to become a better man.

This is one of those films that seems to end with all of the characters going in exactly the opposite of direction they had been going at the start. This might have been part of the reason it was so hard for me to watch - it's not formulaic and predictable and it also has a very realistic, gritty quality that feels a bit raw. Despite all of this, the ending isn't exactly 'Children Of Men bleak', either.

Glad this beaut is getting some notice across the pond

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Pearl Jam Twenty - Cameron Crowe's documentary about Pearl Jam is a fan's love letter to one of their favorite bands. It's fascinating, heartfelt, and sometimes even funny. The band's drunken performance at the party for Crowe's film Singles is a must see, and the tense, frightening performance of the protest song "Bushleaguer" for an angry crowd is another. Eddie Vedder looks determined, while the band looks terrified. Fact: If you bought the album Ten when it first came out in 1991, this film will make you feel old. But it's also wonderful.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

The Final (2010)
Directed by: Joey Stewart
Written by: Jason Kabolati

The Final is a story about 5 high school kids (Dane being the main character) who get harassed on a daily basis by the jocks and popular kids, the bullying has been going on for so long and gotten so severe that the 5 have had enough and gotten to a point where they cannot take it anymore. Dane and his four friends are all avid horror movie fans and have devised a plan to throw a fake party, drug everyone, and torture them as payback for all the harassment that they have had to endure. Their plan is not to kill them but to inflict pain and punishment on them so they will know what it’s like to be “different”. That is pretty much the plot, there are some minor things that shake stuff up towards the end, but this is a story that’s all too familiar in the news in this day and age, Bully picks on boy and boy does something stupid to hurt, scare, kill the bully. From watching the trailer I had high expectations going into this and was disappointed, there is a huge buildup with the bully’s picking on the weaker boys and you find yourself wanting the bullies to get what is coming to them.

That is where the disappointment comes in, the revenge they get is just boring, it is all stuff you have seen if you have watched a few horror films, nothing really new was thrown in. The acting was what you get when you have bullies playing the stereotypical bullies and the weaker kids playing the stereotypical nerd, goth, foreigner. Oh and the all too familiar “Mean Girls” that say stuff like “We are going to be the hottest bitches at the party”, it’s just all been done before. If you are looking for a weak revenge flick where bullies get some weak torture and you see the ending coming a mile away then go for it.

A system of cells interlinked
Well, I know Tron : Legacy is a crap film, but it sure is awesome!

You know, in a HD, Surround Sound turned way up kinda way. I just adore the score and let's face it, the narrative is about as solid as the original, which isn't saying much. Also, Ms. Wilde sure is easy on the eyes.

Jackie Brown (twice)

Love & Other Drugs

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Limitless - Pretty great Sci-Fi, starring Bradley Cooper as a depressed, unfocused author who finds a drug that makes him smarter, less inhibited, and more motivated, but at what cost? I actually didn't see this film going as dark as it did. Great film for debating about later, too.

this is cool! are the actors of the film even popular? just asking

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Highlander II: The Quickening (1991)

I can honestly say this is one of the worst movies ever made, but through all of the bad acting, terrible writing and cringeworthy moments, I kind of dig it. Christopher Lambert is still awesomely bad as Macleod and Michael Ironside is so camp, it's hilarious.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

The Rig (2010)
Directed by: Peter Atencio
Written by: Scott Martin and C.W. Fallin

While starting a new drill line into the bottom of the ocean the drill bit hits some kind of unknown pocket and wakes something up that has been unseen up till now. With a hurricane coming oil rig C is evacuated except for all vital personnel, that leaves 9 people on the rig to ride out the storm. The killing off of the crew starts quick and in such a generic way with some blood splashing on the window or on a wall, this was obviously a very low budget film. More and more start dropping dead until just 2 crew members are left, the communication is down (of course) and there is no way off of the rig, also no weapon except one gun with a few bullets and then it’s just using pipes to try and beat up the monsters. About the monsters, they really reminded me a lot of the Morlocks from The Time Machine (1960), yep this was low budget and not in a fun way just in a really bad attempt at making a horror film. Just do yourself a favor and don’t watch this movie.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
To spare everyone's eyes from having to see the horrible images from this movie I thought I would put some of the original art from the book on here instead.

The Three Investigators And The Secret of Skeleton Island (2007)
Directed by: Florian Baxmeyer
Written by: Philip Lazebnik and Thomas Oliver Walendy

I grew up reading the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigator series even though they were all released in the 60’s and early 70’s which is a bit before I was born. I still read these books to this day, they are great, you can easily finish one or two in a day, they are cheesy and corny but still my favorite books ever. I found out that they had made two of the books into movies, Skeleton Island and Terror Castle, it has taken me forever to get hold of a copy of this movie, and it hurts me to say that it sucks it just plain old sucks.

There are your three main characters in any Three Investigators story, Jupiter Jones, Bob Andrews and Pete Crenshaw, these three are described over and over again at the beginning of every book, the cast in the movie is entirely wrong and they just make the characters look like a bunch of prepubescent dumbasses. In the book the characters are 14 – 15 years old and the story is set on or before the years that the books were written (1960-197?), so taking the nice story from 50 years ago and putting it in the present day was just one of the worst mistakes they could have made. Half of the fun of the books were the cool gadgets they would make with spare parts, stuff that was not easy for kids to afford or maybe even get their hands on at that time but in the movie they have modern day gadgets which takes away a lot of the stuff I enjoyed while reading the books.

Now just about the story of the Secret of Skeleton Island, the part I liked best about the book was the haunted merry go round and all the spooky stuff that was scaring off the workers from building the amusement park on Skeleton Island, yeah forget that it is not in the movie at all in fact there are no ghosts or haunted anything. 90 percent of this movie does not even take place on the Island, when these books were made the three boys still thought that girls had cooties but in the movie they threw in a romantic interest for the boys it's just wrong. Even though this is just so bad I am still going to try and find the next one which is The secret of Terror Castle, but anyone who is normal should just not watch this movie, DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE.

these movies are good.... but we're in the new era now! THe one's that you and of course will and must watch is Tom Cruise! haha or resident evil! I'm just saying! too bad! I still can't post any link here! But you can check my site in my profile! And by the way! I'm not spam! I love movies and that's what I write! thanks

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Horrible Bosses (2011) – I thought this was a hilarious movie, Jennifer Aniston played a role that I have never seen her do, the filthy crude lewd seductress. Colin Farrell’s part was good, but Charlie Day is my favorite, I thought his part was the best. This is a great movie to watch if your wanting a laugh but other than that it’s nothing special.

Caught the first 2 Batman movies on HDnet, such a great channel.

Batman (1989) – Directed by Tim Burton and Starring the best cast including Michael Keaton, Jack Nicksolson, Kim Basinger and Billy Dee Williams. I know most people would disagree with me but this is my favorite Batman movie, I really like the Christian Bale movies but this one is just a personal favorite.

Batman Returns (1992) – Again Directed by Tim Burton and such an awesome cast that I have to say this is my second favorite of the Batman franchise. Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Christopher Walken. Michelle Pfeiffer is my favorite Catwoman up to now, I’ll have to see how I feel after Dark Knight Rises. I think this was the darkest Batman movie that has ever been made IMO. I love it.

I thought I would go for a surf movie marathon.

In Gods Hands (1998) – I watched this movie when it first came out and loved it, I just within the past couple of days watched it again and it is the same. You really bond with these characters making for a much more emotional movie, and just the balls these guys have to surf these 60 foot waves is incredible. It is listed as action/drama but to me this seemed more like a docudrama but that’s just my opinion.

The Endless Summer (1966) – A great story about a group of surfers going around the globe in search of the perfect wave, in my opinion this is like the ultimate surfing documentary.

The Endless Summer II (1994) – Bruce Brown (Director of The Endless Summer) returns after thirty years to follow 2 surfers in their efforts to find the perfect wave just as in the first and filmed at a lot of the same locations as the first, if you like surfing films then it’s a good one.

Alien (1979) – Since the prequel to Alien is coming out sometime soon I thought I should watch this since I have not seen it all the way through in quite a few years and it still does not disappoint. This movie is still scary, startling, and with enough gore to satisfy me. Normally I would say that I like Aliens the most but having just watched this I have to say that Alien is much much better.

This is all I've watched in the past 3 weeks or so. I'm watching more series and regular tv shows now, because my time during the evening is limited and I only watch films during the weekends.

The Chaser (2008, Hong-Jin):
+

I watched this on HK's recommendation and while his taste of movies isn't really my style (he probably thinks of this as a compliment), this was a very accomplished film. It has to be said, I'm a sucker for cat-and-mouse / chase films. The Chaser is well-paced and thoroughly entertaining, switching between character-establishing scenes, all-out chases and tense interrogation sequences. There's a pretty strange twist in the middle to keep the story going I think, but that's just a minor gripe of mine, because what followed after the twist was still pretty good.

Chicago (2002, Marshall):

Red Cliff (2008; 2009 (part 2), Woo):

I was very impressed by this epic war film, especially the strategic aspect of ancient Chinese warfare. It wasn't just about outwitting each other during battle (which is discussed at length), but war is also shown to be a waiting game during which various tactical ploys are used to gain a psychological as well as strategic advantage during the actual battle. I was also a sucker for the Dynasty Warriors videogames during my childhood, so seeing all of those characters come to life was a treat.

Contagion (2011, Soderbergh):

In Time (2011, Niccol):

Black Narcissus (1947, the Archers):

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Attack the Block (2011)
Directed by: Joe Cornish
Written by: Joe Cornish

I started watching this movie thinking that it was just going to be another clichéd alien invasion movie, but it definitely is not, the director did not go the safe way with using the boring kids from the American suburbia but instead used a bit more rough group of kids. Beginning of the movie starts out with aliens crashing into one of what I am guessing is a pretty bad part of London and start converging on one particular ‘council block’ I am guessing in America that would be what we would call ‘low income housing’. The council block in question is home for a street gang of young thugs who make up most of the main characters in the film, the movie does not waste any time and the movie quickly evolves into a fight for survival as the thugs try to evade/kill the aliens attacking “their block” especially when it becomes increasingly obvious that the aliens are coming after them in particular. The aliens in this movie are not the cute and curious type nor are they the super soldier with amazing technology variety. They are not here to make contact, or to study us, and definitely not trying to take over the world, they are here for a reason but I cannot give that away without spoiling the movie for people who have not seen it yet.

The aliens are done in an interesting way in that less is more, they are so black that they are almost invisible seeing how this whole movie was at night or in dark hallways and rooms. They have teeth and eyes that glow a very nice shade of blue, when there is only one on the screen it is nothing special but when there are twenty in one hallway then it becomes a very cool looking affect. The kids in this movie are your tuff young gang members who swear and smoke pot, they do not play it safe. There are parts of the movie that gives you a glimpse into the kids and their hard edges and street tough swagger, but it also lets you see that they are still just kids when it comes down to it. I really liked the little side story surrounding the pre-teen baby thug wannabees, they keep trying to join up with the older boys insisting that they be called Probs and Mayhem, but are always told to leave and go home. I really like the line from the exasperated Probs when he sais to Mayhem "No one is going to call you Mayhem if you keep acting like such a pussy!” The two pre-teens do actually have a very nice moment in the movie where they are very helpful to the cause of killing aliens.

I as an American had to use subtitles to watch this movie and still a lot of the time had no idea what they were talking about or what the words meant, but that is a very small complaint and does not get in the way of the story. I thought it was funny that they put Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead) as the stoner with the weed room, which is the referred to in the movie as Fort Knox because it is the most secure room in the building for the boys to take cover in from the aliens. This was a good movie, not great but I would say it is worth watching if your into SciFi movies, if you are looking for a gorefest then you will have to look somewhere else.

Chicago should be
, at least in my diseased mind.
Mark, the plot was paper thin. You can write that kind of ***** on the back of a napkin.