Name:	Poster GRAVITY.jpg
Views:	1399
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	12521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster HER.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	12522  

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I figure this is 12 Years a Slave's to lose, and I wouldn't be disappointed to see it take it - it's a great film even though I think I preferred American Hustle slightly. Still need to see a few - namely Nebraska, Captain Phillips and Philomena, the latter of which is definitely a surprise to see.

Regarding snubs: there isn't really any, from what I've seen. Inside Llewyn Davis maybe, though I still need to see it. Would have loved to see two of my favourites of the year - Frances Ha and Saving Mr. Banks - but they were crazy long shots anyway, especially the former. I had hopes for Blue Jasmine and Before Midnight too, but again, pipe dreams.

I still need to see Wolf of Wall Street (had to postpone this), Her and Gravity before I can vote. I think it's between 12 Years a Slave and Gravity, personally.

As always, you may use this poll to vote for what you WANT to win or what you THINK will win. Dealer's choice. The Academy won't be using our votes, either way.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster NEBRASKA.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	12523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster PHILOMENA.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	12524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster 12 YEARS.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	12525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster WOLF WALL.jpg
Views:	1407
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	12526  

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
12 Years a Slave will win. I haven't seen it yet, but there's really no way it loses, to be honest. We pretty much know how these sorts of things work.

Must be doin sumthin right
First year since they've expanded the best picture field where not a single movie is horrible. Also the first year where I've seen every nominee before they were announced. For s's and g's , ranked from best to worst

1) Her
2) The Wolf of Wall Street
3) Nebraska
4) 12 Years A Slave
5) Gravity
6) Philomena
7) American Hustle
8) Captain Phillips
9) Dallas Buyers Club

Her, TWoWS and maaaaybe Nebraska are the only ones I really feel strongly about but ya, deep year overall.

I've always thought that it might be American Hustle, but I've given in and switched my vote to 12 Years a Slave as after the last week or two it really does look too strong to lose, bet I'll regret this

I'll go Gravity. It's the most unique and impressive film of the year.

Gravity was so amazing, I wish it could pull of the upset. Seems like its 12 Years though. I still can't believe I missed out on Nebraska before the awards. Have not watched Philomena either.

Joaquin Phoenix still enjoying his retirement I see. I haven't seen a thing this year. Still looking forward to Hustle and Gravity though.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Haven't seen any of these, sadly. I want to see American Hustle and The Wolf of Wall Street very soon, though.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Of the nominated films, I've seen American Hustle, Dallas Buyers Club, Her, 12 Years a Slave and The Wolf of Wall Street.

I suspect that, of those, 12 Years A Slave is the most likely to take the win, though I think it's one of the least deserving.

12 Years a Slave is a guaranteed win.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The real contenders for this award are American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave who have some momentum from the Golden Globes.

Philomena, Her, and Nebraska have not reached the levels of the other nominations (though I have not seen Nebraska or Philomena because they are not playing at my theater).

The Academy loves to give Scorsese nominations, but hate giving his movies Oscars for best picture. So Wolf of Wall Street is out even though it was my favorite film of the year.

The Academy also has yet to give a best picture award to a sci-fi movie, and I doubt it will change it's ways for Gravity (though it REALLY does deserve it).

I doubt they will give it to Captain Phillips (which has a more then likely unintentional pro gun message),

And as we learned from the 78th Academy awards, when given the choice between a movie dealing with gay themes and another film with racism; white guilty will win the day. So I doubt Dallas Buyers Club will win. Which is sad since I liked it more then the two front runners.

So between American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave, I am saying 12 Years a Slave will win due to Academy politics.

But if I was voting? Wolf of Wall Street all the way!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Gravity is highly deserving of the award and would be my pick. Too bad I'm alone in that thought and I don't have an academy vote.

Gravity is highly deserving of the award and would be my pick. Too bad I'm alone in that thought and I don't have an academy vote.
I don't think you're alone. Gravity has the second (maybe third) highest chance of winning.