SPOILER THREAD: Discuss "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

→ in
Tools    

I feel like Kylo Ren became a lost opportunity. He has an awesome mask with a deep intimidating voice coming through it. But then... He took it off, only to reveal the least physically intimidating villain they could have used.

Driver wasn't a bad actor but it's hard to have somebody like him playing a role like that, especially when you want people to take it seriously.

Was I the only one that couldn't stop thinking that the entire movie?
Kylo Ren is played exactly as he should be. the Mask and the Intimidating voice are facades to cover up for what he really is. A wanna-be.

Kylo Ren I assume will become more intimidating in future Episodes as his training is complete.

Is it to obvious that Rey is a Skywalker since when you see her they play the Skywalker theme? I haven't seen anyone bring this up.

Force awaken Rey spoiler.

This probably should be merged into the spoiler review thread, or at least Movie Questions (but probably the former), but obviously I'd like to not go in there just yet.

A system of cells interlinked
Have you not seen it yet, Yoda?

Not yet. Probably next week? Maybe? I just seriously hate going to theaters right now, and with a super clingy dog it requires a bit more planning. That and work has been busier (two work-related sites launch in the next couple of weeks). But hopefully soon.

A system of cells interlinked
I lucked out and got a theater full of decent people, and surprisingly, not many teens at all. I definitely had misgivings about going this close to opening weekend, but really, the flick was so engaging that I was swept up into the story and had a blast! I had some minor quibbles, but it;s most certainly worth a theater trip. Enjoy!

I doubt it. On the surface she seems to be a Skywalker but...

1) It goes beyond foreshadowing, and just seems so obvious that it must be a red herring.
2) Do we need yet another family relationship between main characters? It would seem an odd plot point to explore AGAIN.
3) How could Laia, Han and Chewie all be unaware of this relationship? That none of them mention it for the entire film would stretch my incredulity to breaking point.

Cool, hopefully it'll be the same for me.

Anyway, can someone take a look and merge it, or move it, depending on what it is? That might have to be you, Mike, if no one else has seen it yet.

i think everyone got tired of making fun of the prequels, now people are going easy on this movie

People will make fun of this movie. Eventually. In a few years.

I actually have a suspicion now that Episode VIII is going to suck. I think it's too early to realize that these movies are bad. I think the next movie is going to disappoint, and it'll make people disappointed with Episode VII. It's a hunch I have.

i can see that happening. this movie had a 200 MILLION DOLLAR budget. It should be able to stand on its own, the movie used A New Hope as a major crutch. Played it safe and threw a lot of predictable fastballs

clearly it's working financially though

I think this did take the easy route, but it has set up the franchise relaunch perfectly.

Problems I had...

1) I did not buy the Kylo/ Han relationship at all, so the death scene lacked emotional resonance.

2) There were forced moments of levity, such as Ridley and Boyega on the Falcon.

3) Too many coincidences or related characters.

4) The force seemed to occur like a memory (or a Matrix download) far too easily too Ridley.

5) Why a dam Star Destroyer again?

6) Some bad CGI, such as on Han's new ship.

I think this film gets a pass because it is Star Wars and it is a lot better than the prequels. But I also think people forget that the originals are not great with the exception of Empire, which single-handedly carries the legend.

George Lucas got lucky with a badly executed (saved in editing) idea that was improved upon by others in the following movies. He then attempted to bury his idea by personally deficating over a cinema screen three times. Somehow this franchise survived. This is the best movie since the originals and only Empire is significantly better.

Overall, a case of rose-tinted glasses.

Nobody else had a problem with a 70 year old Han Solo in combat scenes? I just kept thinking, he is so old running around. He would have been dead in 2 seconds. I probably would have gone about using Solo differently in the movie, avoiding him in any sort of combat sequence.

There was a lot to like about the movie. But I think it relied too heavily on Solo. Maybe Creed is a bad example because it relied heavily on Rocky. But it didn't use Rocky as a fighter, why would it?! It nodded at the past Rocky films, it didn't use them as a crutch. I felt like this Star Wars used the old characters and movies as a crutch which limited this movie. As far as setting up other films in the series it did a top notch job of that but that cheapens this movie at least to me. With Rian Johnson writing the next one I am quite confident it will separate itself from previous iterations of Star Wars while gently nodding to the older ones.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I actually have a suspicion now that Episode VIII is going to suck. I think it's too early to realize that these movies are bad. I think the next movie is going to disappoint, and it'll make people disappointed with Episode VII. It's a hunch I have.
See I had apprehension about this movie going in. I think Episode 8 has a chance to be the best of the bunch. Rian Johnson isn't some cookie cutter blockbuster director. He has the balls to make something original and weird. Just hope Disney gives him a long enough leash to do his own thing. He has the canvas with which to paint the next one just hopefully Disney has not painted a bunch on it already.

Master of My Domain
YES I FINALLY SAW THIS
I'm sure everyone would like to hear thoughts about the film from the master himself.

On IMDB I started a thread titled:
Spaceballs: The Schwartz Hits the Snooze Alarm

Obviously looking for lampoon suggestions.

Actually, while conducting an unrelated Star Trek Lens Flare protest outside J.J. Abrams' house, I saw part of a script for Star Wars Episode VIII laying out on a desk through a window.
I couldn't see much of it, but I did see this:

Stormtrooper: "Captain Phasma, Han Solo approaching."

Phasma: "What do you mean; 'Han Solo approaching'?"

Stormtrooper: "On a Wookie rocket cycle! Should I inform his Majesty?"

Phasma: "Imbecile! Supreme Leader Snoke would SHOOT you for interrupting his wedding with this news. Fire when Solo's in range!"

Cue music by remaining members of Queen: "Han! Ah-Aaaahhhhh!"

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I think this did take the easy route, but it has set up the franchise relaunch perfectly.

Problems I had...

1) I did not buy the Kylo/ Han relationship at all, so the death scene lacked emotional resonance.

2) There were forced moments of levity, such as Ridley and Boyega on the Falcon.

3) Too many coincidences or related characters.

4) The force seemed to occur like a memory (or a Matrix download) far too easily too Ridley.

5) Why a dam Star Destroyer again?

6) Some bad CGI, such as on Han's new ship.

I think this film gets a pass because it is Star Wars and it is a lot better than the prequels. But I also think people forget that the originals are not great with the exception of Empire, which single-handedly carries the legend.

George Lucas got lucky with a badly executed (saved in editing) idea that was improved upon by others in the following movies. He then attempted to bury his idea by personally deficating over a cinema screen three times. Somehow this franchise survived. This is the best movie since the originals and only Empire is significantly better.

Overall, a case of rose-tinted glasses.
I went for a second viewing today and actually felt it was better 2nd time around. Was able to sit back and enjoy it more knowing what was coming. The Rey stuff is great once she has the lightsaber vision, was like Luke in the dark cave in Empire. 9/10

1) I think the Han/Kylo relationship does work, even though they only have a brief scene together. You can hear a pin drop when Han says "BEN" both on and off screen. Kylo appears to have a moment of "what have I just done" before Chewie shoots him. Brilliant scene all around.

2) The funny parts weren't as funny second time around, but they certainly aren't forced and contrived like other big movies can be.

3) Are there? That's exactly what happened in the Original trilogy, more so even.

4) Maybe it is a memory? suppressed or hidden by daddy Luke maybe? Maybe she has even had training. This will be revealed I'm sure.

5) Why not? these are the remnants of the empire, I'm sure they have tons of Star destroyers kicking around.

6) I didn't like this scene first time around but felt it was ok this time. I realized today that the whole scene was a plot device to quickly get Han to abandon his freighter and get back to the Falcon. Feels necessary now.

the originals are not great with the exception of Empire, which single-handedly carries the legend.
Yeah pretty much agree with this, New Hope and Jedi for me are 8/10 movies whereas Empire is 10/10 contender for GOAT film. The finale of Jedi is exceptional though.

Amen to that. Lucas must be steaming that someone made another quality Star Wars and it wasn't him. Secretly I bet he was hoping it sucked.