Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Tools    

I haven't seen this yet, but I think part of the reason this hasn't succeeded at the Box office thus far, which hasn't been discussed much in this thread, is because Spielberg isn't directing it, and they simply waited too long to make it. Harrison Ford as an 80 year old Indiana Jones is just not credible, people know that most of his scenes were performed by a stunt double or were done through CGI, and that's not as attractive to moviegoers. Additionally, the last installment wasn't that well received, and in combination with Spielberg not returning and the relatively poor reviews, this didn't set the stage for a successful kick off.

Also, everyone makes mistakes, so when the poster said that Indiana Jones was made in response to the huge success of "Top Gun: Maverick," when it was clearly in development far before that, it's easier, cleaner, and more honest, and an overall better choice, to admit that was a mistake, and to pivot to the other, arguably more legitimate point, that just like "Top Gun: Maverick," this new film was made to capitalize on nostalgia for what had historically been a very successful and culturally relevant film series. If posters here get the sense that someone is not debating in good faith, it dampens the interest that they may have in continuing the discussion and giving thoughtful consideration to any point made, which is the opposite of the purpose of this forum.

Psychopathic Psychiatrist
No clue whatīs so wrong with this movie, but it looks like people need something to rant about again, to give their otherwise empty life a meaning.

BKB
No, it's when you call a movie a "bomb" even when it makes five times its budget.

...which isn't what you claimed originally. You claimed it was made as a response to that, not that it was made for similar reasons.

The solution here is to be a little more careful about the claims you make, rather than get mad at people (and then post passive-aggressive messages like this one) who notice when they don't make sense.
Oh for heaven's sake, talk about beating a dead horse here: The people who flocked to TOP GUN: MAVERICK were an older crowd who appreciated the movie in the 80's, not to mention it portrayed the military in the movie in a positive light which is NOT reflective of the military in 2023 with all the identity politics nonsense and this is coming from someone who was in the U.S Navy such as myself from 1990-1993 and stationed onboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71.. MAVERICK went over so well because of it, there was an uptick in enlistments to the Navy..

BKB
No clue whatīs so wrong with this movie, but it looks like people need something to rant about again, to give their otherwise empty life a meaning.
Or, maybe, just MAYBE people such as Gen Z simply didn't buy into an 80 year old Harrison Ford portraying an action hero in 2023?? It is possible you know??

BKB
Also, everyone makes mistakes, so when the poster said that Indiana Jones was made in response to the huge success of "Top Gun: Maverick," when it was clearly in development far before that, it's easier, cleaner, and more honest, and an overall better choice, to admit that was a mistake, and to pivot to the other, arguably more legitimate point, that just like "Top Gun: Maverick," this new film was made to capitalize on nostalgia for what had historically been a very successful and culturally relevant film series. If posters here get the sense that someone is not debating in good faith, it dampens the interest that they may have in continuing the discussion and giving thoughtful consideration to any point made, which is the opposite of the purpose of this forum.
Of all the movie websites I've posted at over the decades including Box Office Mojo when it was around, Box Office Theory and World of KJ Forums, and Rotten Tomatoes, this website has to be the most strict when it comes to how you label a movie, be it "Disappointing" or a Bomb" and my impression so far is that people around here label you a "Troll" should you cross that line and have a spirited disagreement about said movie like this new Indiana Jones movie.. At the end of the day, I don't know how old many of you are, but in the end, I call it like I see it and the way I see it is if a movie cost close to $300 Million($295 Million to be exact before you level me for not getting the exact number) and the movie only brings in $60 Million in 3 days?? It's a Bomb no matter how you look at it.. The only question is, which was worse?? The FLASH or Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny?? You can't ignore it folks.. It's up to MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE VII and The MEG: The TRENCH to save the rest of the Summer..

Oh for heaven's sake, talk about beating a dead horse here
I agree, bringing it up unprompted days later, just to get a shot in, is indeed beating a dead horse.

The people who flocked to TOP GUN: MAVERICK were an older crowd who appreciated the movie in the 80's, not to mention it portrayed the military in the movie in a positive light which is NOT reflective of the military in 2023 with all the identity politics nonsense and this is coming from someone who was in the U.S Navy such as myself from 1990-1993 and stationed onboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71.. MAVERICK went over so well because of it, there was an uptick in enlistments to the Navy..
I have no objection to any of this, but none of this is what people were disagreeing with, so I don't really understand the relevance.

Of all the movie websites I've posted at over the decades including Box Office Mojo when it was around, Box Office Theory and World of KJ Forums, and Rotten Tomatoes, this website has to be the most strict when it comes to how you label a movie, be it "Disappointing" or a Bomb"
As someone who posted on RT for many years, I don't think this is true. I got into tons of discussion about word usage there. Because it matters.

To be fair, obviously lots of the Internet is filled with people who say whatever comes into their heads, and who don't even pay enough attention to anyone else to bother to critique them. Just the mutually assured destruction of thoughtless hot takes. This place is a little different, though, and I think that's good. If you don't, hey, fair enough. Plenty of Internet left that feels otherwise.

Also, tone matters. Personally I think it's totally fair and reasonable to point out if something doesn't make sense, even when the person saying it is being very polite and friendly. And it's definitely fair if they're being sarcastic or confrontational. Most of the time, the vibe you put out is the vibe you'll get back.

and my impression so far is that people around here label you a "Troll" should you cross that line and have a spirited disagreement about said movie like this new Indiana Jones movie
"Spirited disagreement" goes both ways, though. You can call whatever you want a "Bomb," and I can have a "spirited disagreement" about whether the term makes sense.

.. At the end of the day, I don't know how old many of you are
I'm 38.

if a movie cost close to $300 Million($295 Million to be exact before you level me for not getting the exact number) and the movie only brings in $60 Million in 3 days?? It's a Bomb no matter how you look at it..
Okay, but...did anybody disagree with that? You seem to be taking things people said about other movies/box office receipts and acting like they were about this one.

The only question is, which was worse??
I agree! What matters are the movies themselves. And box office is not how we determine that. It's not a score to determine which cinematic universe or franchise is better, or anything else. I actually find box office really interesting! I used to play (and still occasionally do) various box office prediction games. But I don't try to use it as a proxy for anything else.

Yeah I've seen and read enough ratings and reviews from dependable mofos to decide; I'm not leaving the comfort of my home (with acceptable priced snacks and thousands of classic unseen movies in it) for this movie. I’ll wait for the stream.

Or, maybe, just MAYBE people such as Gen Z simply didn't buy into an 80 year old Harrison Ford portraying an action hero in 2023?? It is possible you know??
I am enjoying the movie for its story (mostly its action actually) and for what it is without really carrying for how the actor is doing behind. I actually donīt even care if they re-do a dead actor as CGI-dude like they did with GENERAL TARKIN (Peter Cushing) in STAR WARS, in fact i think it is rather interesting to see dead (or way too old) actors being re-made with CGI and i (seriously) canīt wait to see another INDIANA JONES with a fully re-made CGI-Jones!

Yeah I've seen and read enough ratings and reviews from dependable mofos to decide; I'm not leaving the comfort of my home (with acceptable priced snacks and thousands of classic unseen movies in it) for this movie. I’ll wait for the stream.
I feel similarly. I've read too many reviews like the one below to make the effort and spend the dough to see it at the theater.
https://dailycaller.com/2023/07/03/a...indiana-jones/
It's disappointing to me because I recall with relish having the excitement of watching the '81 Raiders of the Lost Arc. Ford was a perfect fit with savvy and humor. And the rousing score by J. Williams put me in mind of some of the great film music written by Erich Korngold for such pictures as Captain Blood (1935) and The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)-- both starring Errol Flynn.

The Jones character was a very close imitation of Charlton Heston's adventurer Harry Steele in 1954's Secret of the Incas. I loved that movie when it came out. I think too that Star Wars (1977) paved the way with its Buck Rogers cache and heroic music. Too bad what they're doing to these iconic characters.

80 year old cranky Ford in an action flick? I think i'll miss this one. I appreciate the Indy flicks but I didn't really grow up with them. I remember my mom really liking them when I was younger but she was like 20 when the first one came out. I am not as attached to them as the couple generations right before me.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

80 year old cranky Ford in an action flick? I think i'll miss this one. I appreciate the Indy flicks but I didn't really grow up with them. I remember my mom really liking them when I was younger but she was like 20 when the first one came out. I am not as attached to them as the couple generations right before me.
Maybe he was cranky because something wasnt right about doing it. I get cranky too when I end up going through something I dont like.

I havent seen the movie yet so I aint giving an opinion.

BKB
I am enjoying the movie for its story (mostly its action actually) and for what it is without really carrying for how the actor is doing behind. I actually donīt even care if they re-do a dead actor as CGI-dude like they did with GENERAL TARKIN (Peter Cushing) in STAR WARS, in fact i think it is rather interesting to see dead (or way too old) actors being re-made with CGI and i (seriously) canīt wait to see another INDIANA JONES with a fully re-made CGI-Jones!
The problem is though is when you de-age an actor and their 80 year old voice is not matching the de-aging process is what makes it look awkward and it shows we're not quite there yet

The problem is though is when you de-age an actor and their 80 year old voice is not matching the de-aging process is what makes it look awkward and it shows we're not quite there yet
Oh, i am Austrian, that means i mostly watch movies german dubbed ( i sometimes watch them in original english too, but watching it dubbed is sometimes pretty much fun too) and so sometimes voices doesnīt really fit the characters, but thatīs somehow "entertaining" to me, even if itīs everything but intended by the studio.

I'm surprised to hear people say this because I would think that, even if the movie is not as good as hoped for, that the experience of watching it would really be enhanced by the theatrical experience. The large screen, the wonderful sound, special effects, watching it in a communal environment with other Indiana Jones fans. Do you not agree, and why would that not motivate you to want to go to the theater to see it?

We went from this..

to this

While the new characters stunk, the fact that the film is a series of long souless car chase scenes

While the new characters stunk, the fact that the film is a series of long souless car chase scenes
Well i think it is just relative and i have to mention i still havenīt seen the movie yet, but i seriously doubt it actually really is THAT BAD as the majority tends to make things look like again (especially these days, where people tend to make things look worse than things really are!)

First of all, there comes the psychological effect the exact opposite of being "overhyped", which means i expect the movie to be "really bad!", which then mostly turns out to be a far less "bad" experience than expected, with ending up being positively surprised how "good" the movie actually is!

Another thing is, i also thought INDY 3 along with INDY 4 were good and entertaining flicks in my opinion, by far not as shitty as people claimed them to be (especially the 4th).

Last but not least, hey! Itīs Harrison Ford wearing his hat and swinging his whip! If you donīt like that, you had a rough childhood maybe!

On an episode of History's Greatest Mysteries I saw an episode about the artifact the so-called "Dial of Destiny" is based upon.
It's called the Antikythera mechanism. It's pretty fascinating along with the many theories about it's purpose, what it did or what it could do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism