Oldboy

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Then you are a better man than I.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I will say I liked it a thousand times more than the Takashi Miike stuff I've seen (Ichi and Audition)
I can see why, you've only seen what are possibly his two most overrated films. Or maybe you're just one of those people who doesn't like Takashi Miike's work (which is understandable as his work is pretty wacky at times).

I don't think Miike and Park are even comparable, considering Chan-wook Park hasn't made more than 3 feature-length films.

Here's how I rate 'em:
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) A++
Oldboy (2003) A
Joint Security Area (2000) B-

In regards of Miike- check out Happiness of the Katakuris, from what i've seen of his work, it's the least horrific. Don't see Visitor Q.
I did see the twist coming, though this didn't bother me as much. What did bother me was how little Oh Dae-Su seems to have aged. After several viewing i agree that the Evergreen scene drags but the rest is just as enjoyable. Probably would drop my original score a bit.
Anyone going to see the remake?

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Anyone going to see the [Oldboy] remake?
Depends entirely on who stars in it for me. I wasn't very impressed with Better Luck Tomorrow, so I can't say I'm jazzed about the director doing the adapting.

So...probably not, but time will tell.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

there's a frog in my snake oil
Depends entirely on who stars in it for me.
Cage is taking on the Oh Dae-su character apparently. I can imagine him doing a decent job. But i can imagine the plot being altered a fair bit too

Originally Posted by Golgot
Cage is taking on the Oh Dae-su character apparently. I can imagine him doing a decent job. But i can imagine the plot being altered a fair bit too
Oh, in that case I will absolutely not be seeing it. Not in the theaters, certainly.

Originally Posted by Garrett
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) A++
I'd like to read what you have to say about this movie. Pretty much everyone I know who saw this praised it highly, and it sounded right up my alley; now that I've seen it, I thought it was just OK. It has a few really powerful moments and it is genuinely disturbing, but I thought it also could have been a good half-hour shorter. I think what bothered me was that the setup is too predictable and the camera too passive. If I felt more engaged in the storytelling I think it could be really great, but as is it didn't do enough for me to strongly recommend it, I'd rate it 6/10. I had been planing on seeing Oldboy soon, but now I'll probably hold off for a bit.

I just saw this last week, It was intersting, quite violent, powerful and shocking in places.

Finally saw and wow. I was dazed leaving the theater. Oh Dae-Su's quest is heart shattering, and his reaction upon the discovery of the story's twist is incredible. Min-sik Choi was fantastic in the role.

Much of the "enjoyment" or potential power of it was lessened because I knew the main "twist" of the plot the second the character appeared on the screen.
I had the twist figured out as well at the same moment, and I really expected that to lessen the impact of the inevitable reveal at the end but it didn't. Not for me anyways. If the revelation scene had been done any other way I wouldn't have felt the same way, but thank god it wasn't.

I think a remake of this is a horrible, horrible idea. Mainly because I don't think any American film company would have the balls to incorporate the same plot, twists and all, with the remake.

ok...i'm going to sound stupid but what did the last scene mean? did he remember, or was he crying about something else?and i can't see how anybody,ANYBODY, could've forseen the plot...i just don't buy it...but man, the ultimate revenge!!you can't srew up a person more, you just can't!!

When he met the woman in the sushi bar, i had an inkling about thier relationship, which i forgot towards the climax (after they <ahem> most probably) but i found that part predictable. The rest, hell no. Can't remember the last scene too well, it was his 2 personalities i think- should watch it again. Soon. Then i'll get back, but one of the intellectuals here will probably answer you before me.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Originally Posted by adidasss
ok...i'm going to sound stupid but what did the last scene mean? did he remember, or was he crying about something else?and i can't see how anybody,ANYBODY, could've forseen the plot...i just don't buy it...but man, the ultimate revenge!!you can't srew up a person more, you just can't!!

I think he was crying out of happiness, I don't think he remembers, and he hasn't got many other ways of comunicating his happiness!!!

I loved this film, it was original, complicated and very well shot.
I got the twist early on, but as a seasoned movie goer, I'm always looking for the twists before they happen. Shades of Greek/Shakespearian tradegy.
A remake will probably suck, but will make loads of money, lets be honest, how many of the general public are going to watch a sub-titled Korean movie?
I think the movie dragged a little, but perhaps this was to draw you closer to the main character and what he has had to endure. As a revenge thriller it works well on a number of levels, and ultimately proves that mental pain can be as harmful as physical pain.
Rating 4/5.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
As regards the 'twist', I knew about it beforehand and still thought it was brilliant. I'm probably spoiling the enjoyment of movies by finding out the twists first, but I really do think it is a test of whether a movie is any good. A really good film should be a good film regardless of whether you know the twist or not. Otherwise it's not a really good film, it's just a really good twist.

Kill Bill is childish compared to Old Boy .

A question to everyone who saw it , did you watch it with the english dub or the subtitles. I really hated this movie with the subtitles but i watched a scene with the subtitles and then with the english dialouge and it was dead on the same thing - just english.

Also , Ichi the Killer was a TERRIBLE movie. Horrible cinemetography and the story as far as i watched it was extremly dumb.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Kill Bill is childish compared to Old Boy
This may be the first thing you've said that I actually agree with .

A question to everyone who saw it , did you watch it with the english dub or the subtitles. I really hated this movie with the subtitles but i watched a scene with the subtitles and then with the english dialouge and it was dead on the same thing - just english.
It's not really surprising that the dub and the subtitles are the same, it is probably the same translation. I never watch dubbed versions if I can help it because it annoys me when the sound doesn't match the lip movements, and I like to see the original acting -otherwise how would you know if it is any good?

Also , Ichi the Killer was a TERRIBLE movie. Horrible cinemetography and the story as far as i watched it was extremly dumb.
Fair enough if you don't like something, but can you possibly find words other than 'horrible' and 'dumb' to describe things you don't like? Every time you talk about a movie you don't like you use the same words when you could maybe give more of a reason why you don't like the story other than 'it was dumb'.