The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

76. The Mouse That Roared
75. 1776
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Answers already given by other people that I'm going with (76. Was the first thing that sprang to mind).

76. Fail-Safe
75. The Best Years of Our Lives

A system of cells interlinked
Not heard of Breaker Morant, but saw Three Kings when it came out. I recall bouncing off that one, and never had an urge to revisit it. Perhaps I should check it out again, though.

I think you got them
First time I have guessed because the first time I have felt stronger, but I really like the Fail Safe guess and think I might be 1 for 2.

Sheesh I'm behind

Hotel Rwanda is the first from my list at #23... a truly poigant film. Is the world keeping her pledge that this won't happen again?

I have Forbidden Games
when I watched it, I do not remember it

I've neglected to watch Shame but I'm sure I'd love it. I need a Bergman fix

Good Morning & Tropic Thunder are two I intended to watch but didn't get around to. Never heard of The Train but looks up my alley. Love train films

My List:
23. Hotel Rwanda

#76 #76
57 points, 3 lists
Fail-Safe
Director

Sidney Lumet, 1964

Starring

Henry Fonda, Walter Matthau, Fritz Weaver, Larry Hagman

#75 #75
59 points, 3 lists
War and Peace, Part III: The Year 1812
Director

Sergey Bondarchuk, 1967

Starring

Ludmila Savelyeva, Sergey Bondarchuk, Vyacheslav Tikhonov, Boris Zakhava

HINTS BREAKDOWN

76. Not Dr. Strangelove, but it's still a 1964 cold war movie.

75: I specifically chose a hint about a year because I knew it would be a challenge.

John-Conner got the first one right, so he gets one point.

BTW, both directors for these reveals are the first two directors to obtain multiple entries in our countdown! Congrats, Lumet and Bondarchuk!

Fail-Safe was #93 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1960s. The other movie adapted quite differently from the same source material, Dr. Strangelove, is #4 on that list.

Fail Safe is excellent but not one I’d consider for this list.

I’ve seen Three Kings a couple times now and for the life of me can never remember a thing about it.

War and Peace Part III is where most of the war action happens. Many of these war scenes are excellent, although this movie doesn't really have a lot of story to it.

Seen 6/26.

Reply to Topic