Vote on the next countdown (Oct. 2023)

Tools    

What should our next countdown be (Oct 23)?
30.36%
17 votes
Films not on previous lists
23.21%
13 votes
Underseen films
30.36%
17 votes
Musicals
46.43%
26 votes
Noir
28.57%
16 votes
Some decade refresh
10.71%
6 votes
Other (specify below)
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I was just looking at what movies qualify for Neo Noir because some people are saying they don't watch them... Well good grief!...Some of the biggest films and best loved films are tagged neo noir. Anyone ever hear of a little movie called Taxi Driver? or Chinatown ? or Dark City? or Reservoir Dogs? Oldboy? Memento? Mulholland Drive?. Literally the most popular films are Neo Noirs. A few more:

Nightcrawler, No Country for Old Men, Shutter Island, The Long Goodbye, The Man from Nowhere, The Man Who Wasn't There,
The Usual Suspects, To Live and Die in L.A., True Confessions,
Zodiac. That list could go on and one and on. I bet more MoFos have seen Neo Noir movies than they've seen of war movies and the war countdown kicked ass! So yeah a noir countdown will be fun
And this is why Neo Noir needs to be involved, more options to choose from then just black and white movies in the 40s and 50s, the Noir genre represents more than that.

Like I said before this might be a lot of work but with the right research and wanting to make this a good noir list without surrendering some restrictions to the point where "well anyone can vote for anything that they think is a noir movie" I think we'll be good to go.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

What if half the votes for Noir were because of the two different ballot idea with neo noir which is why I voted for noir.
You're absolutely right. After I made the 3rd post on this thread and said I would have two ballots (classic noir & neo noir), some people then chose to vote for noir because they liked the neo noir part....and of course some only meant to vote for classic noir.

But now the idea isn't going to work, so I guess were just going to be stuck with movies only in the 40s and 50s?
No, we won't be stuck with just 40s and 50s noir. We need to get neo noir in there too. I knew that from day one that most people like neo noir and only some classic noir fans. So that's why I've been campaigning for two separate list. It's twice the fun and won't take any longer than a regular countdown and it will be faster than the War countdown was. It doesn't take away anyone's fun by trying something a little different this time.

And this is why Neo Noir needs to be involved, more options to choose from then just black and white movies in the 40s and 50s, the Noir genre represents more than that.

Like I said before this might be a lot of work but with the right research and wanting to make this a good noir list without surrendering some restrictions to the point where "well anyone can vote for anything that they think is a noir movie" I think we'll be good to go.
So no worries everyone will get their cake and get to eat it too

You're absolutely right. After I made the 3rd post on this thread and said I would have two ballots (classic noir & neo noir), some people then chose to vote for noir because they liked the neo noir part....and of course some only meant to vote for classic noir.

No, we won't be stuck with just 40s and 50s noir. We need to get neo noir in there too. I knew that from day one that most people like neo noir and only some classic noir fans. So that's why I've been campaigning for two separate list. It's twice the fun and won't take any longer than a regular countdown and it will be faster than the War countdown was. It doesn't take away anyone's fun by trying something a little different this time.

So no worries everyone will get their cake and get to eat it too
Sounds good, I'm sure you'll do a good job at this

I'm assuming that even with two list curators, there's still only going to be 50 Noir movies and 50 Neo-Noir movies?

Because if so that takes away any desire I have to explore Neo Noir, since the chances of any one film making the cut have been - rather arbitrarily IMO - slashed dramatically. Each established favorite of mine is going to need as many points as it can possibly get since a Neo Noir movie could get significantly more points than whatever the 50th most popular Noir film was, but still not make the countdown because it wasn't at least the 50th most popular Neo-Noir. If you're going to separate them and insist that they are different genres, then actually separate them and give each one a proper countdown like every other genre had instead of this truncated BS or at the very least put up a poll to decide if the MoFo community (rather than just a vocal minority) wants separate lists or a combined one before starting.

I'm assuming that even with two list curators, there's still only going to be 50 Noir movies and 50 Neo-Noir movies?
That's the general idea, I really don't think there's enough interest in either to do a full 100. Though myself I wouldn't mind doing a full top 100. So I'll follow what Chypmunk did for the Pre1930s and use his formula:
... if we get enough movies to qualify (being on a minimum of 2 lists and a total points accumulation of 25 or more - standard criteria I believe?) for a Top 50, Top 75 or even a Top 100 then that is what I shall produce.

Do we have two ballots? Will each ballot have 25 entries? I know you don't have details yet, but will need to balance my viewing between classic and neo noir according to requirements.

That's the general idea, I really don't think there's enough interest in either to do a full 100. Though myself I wouldn't mind doing a full top 100. So I'll follow what Chypmunk did for the Pre1930s and use his formula:

Do we have two ballots? Will each ballot have 25 entries? I know you don't have details yet, but will need to balance my viewing between classic and neo noir according to requirements.
Two ballots of 25 each, with the usual 10 minimum.

I'm all ready to start the Noir preliminary countdown thread on Noirvember 1st! And have a lot of activities planned to support it.

Thief will be hosting the Neo Noir countdown and will decided what rules and guidelines to use. Thief kicked ass on the last countdown he hosted so the Neo Noir countdown should be awesome!

I'm all ready to start the Noir preliminary countdown thread on Noirvember 1st! And have a lot of activities planned to support it.

Thief will be hosting the Neo Noir countdown and will decided what rules and guidelines to use. Thief kicked ass on the last countdown he hosted so the Neo Noir countdown should be awesome!
Sounds good. Presumably a guideline will have to be set determining what years should separate noir from neo-noir. For example, classic noir from 1941 thru 1959. Neo-noir beyond that. Whatever the hosts decide between them.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

Is there a final decision which of these is when?
Personally, I'd like them almost simultaneously. Meaning, the final presentation to be one after another immediately.

Is there a final decision which of these is when?
Personally, I'd like them almost simultaneously. Meaning, the final presentation to be one after another immediately.
I'm still talking to Thief who's hosting the New Noir countdown. It's up to him how he does that countdown but I think both countdowns might run at the same time, so yeah like simultaneously is very possible.

BTW I just started the The MoFo Top Film Noir Countdown - Preliminary Thread
and a Noir Hall of Fame thread Check them out!

Yes if I had a vote both would be running at the same time, in the same thread, each posting one a day.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

@Thief @Yoda

The Noir countdown preliminary thread has been up for almost a week. What’s the eta on Neo Noir?
Soon. Real life has been merciless with me this week (month? year!?), but we also thought it would be good to let the Noir one fly a bit before putting the Neo-noir one out. But my expectations are to have something up within the next 2 or 3 days.