Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I can live with not connecting with his characters (and I very much don't) but I mostly do not connect with his style and his particular cinematic voice. I find his movies sort of ugly and they have a deliberately detached feel that I believe is meant to be cool but just strikes me as an empty pose
Agreed. We know that narrative/connection is something I value a bit more than you, but why it especially gets me in Besson's films is because a lot of scenes seem to hinge on caring about the characters. It's literally what Subway builds to and it felt like it was expecting me to feel things that I absolutely didn't.

I think it says a lot that I looked away for a second and
WARNING: spoilers below
he had clearly been shot or stabbed and my reaction was "Wait! Why is he bleeding? . . . Eh." and I literally couldn't be bothered to rewind the film a minute and figure out why he was dying on the floor of the subway.

I've never read the books but as a piece of film, Dune was pretty amazing.
The movie was a reasonably faithful adaptation, as far as I could tell.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2017/guardi..._two_ver4.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=52041243

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - (2017)

As expected, I didn't like this film as much as I did the first Guardians of the Galaxy (a very tough act to follow really.) That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, because I enjoyed watching it a lot - I think this ensemble is one of the best groups of characters we've seen in a science fiction franchise since Star Wars. They all work particularly well - Dave Bautista is hilarious as Drax the Destroyer, and the story itself has that sense of irreverent humour that works so well in these films. Rocket stealing the batteries the team has just defended from Abilisk? Perfect. As I hoped would be the case, the story actually has great meaning - especially for Quill (Chris Pratt) whose father finds him, and tasks him with a horrifying inheritance, teaching him who his real father has been all along (Yondu - played by Michael Rooker.) There are real stakes, and we advance the story instead of seeing another meaningless episode flash by. Baby Groot is adorable. What all of this is adding up to is the fact that I'm a big fan of James Gunn's work - Super is one of my favourite films of all time, and I love Brightburn, The Suicide Squad and of course the first Guardians of the Galaxy film.

7/10

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=59816890

The Hole in the Ground - (2019)

You ever watch a film and find it hard to fault due to how competent it is, but by the same measure, find it so uninspiring you'd hate to watch it again? That's The Hole in the Ground for me, a horror film directed by the guy who is going to deliver us the next Evil Dead film this year - Lee Cronin. What's meant to be spooky just feels so grey, dull and dreary in a colourless world where 'Invasion of the Body Snatcher' type antics are going on via a sinkhole in the Irish countryside. Sarah O'Neill (Seána Kerslake) starts suspecting her son, Chris (James Quinn Markey) isn't really her son, but who will believe her? I like a horror film that has some thematic resonance (this one about parenthood) but at the same time The Hole in the Ground is workmanlike and uninspired. Lacks the excitement to capture the imagination and scare us.

5/10

Ghost Train - (2013)

Ghost Train is a 2013 short film by Lee Cronin which has a great story, but lacks a little in execution. Two middle-aged brothers visit an old broken-down and abandoned ghost train ride every year - they were once playing there when the amusement park ride took their friend, who was never seen or heard from again. One of the guys has an admission to make, and both brothers are about to be revisited by a particular horror from their past. Actually quite scary at times, with a very imaginative short story.

6.5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Babylon (2022)

I don't know what it says about me where two of my favorite films of the year feature explosions of bodily fluids but Damien Chazelle's Babylon is the most divisive film of the year and I'm on the positive side. This movie is three hours long and it flies by the 20 minute pre-credit party scene is amazing. This is a film that I don't youtube will let you but you need to pause parts to see all the debauchery in the background.

The party sets up the plot where a Hollywood leading man (Brad Pitt) his gofer (Deigo Calva) and a party crasher (Margot Robbie) have a fun time which leads into a silent film shoot the next day. Robbie gives what I feel is the performance of the year as an unashamed drug addict looking to become a star. She's incredible in this the only thing keeping her from the Oscar is she keeps her clothes on (sort of). But she has five or six sequences in this film that are pure manic energy.

Brad Pitt is also in this as the inverse of Cliff Booth, Jack Conrad the biggest star in the world who has to deal with the changing of the times. Pitt is doing the best work of his career right now, he walks a fine line between being on a full on libertine and a melancholic man. His story really sticks with you and you wish he was more of a focus of the film. Sadly he's more a supporting figure than the lead which is a shame because he's the one who emotionally grounds the film.

Unfortunately because all films have to look the same we have three other stories for "diversity". Joven Adepo plays a trumpet player who gets a full character arc and it frankly feels anachronistic. It really sucks that this character is in the film because it feels less like a contrast and more like an insult. His character sticks out like a sore thumb in this one. What's worse is it contrasts with Li Jun Li as Lady Fay Zhu. Fay Zhu plays a Chinese lesbian who feels authentic to the era turning into the stereotypes of the era but creating her own character. She feels like she belongs in this world unlike Sidney Palmer....who should be in a different film. One you would skip because it's dull.

Diego Calvao plays a gofer who rise to executive in this crazy world. He's very good in this and feels like a real person. He's flawed makes some poor choices but is a solid POV character for the film. He starts to pass himself off as a Spanish from Spain producer in the film...which is a subtle shift that works. His early scenes are better than his later ones and he doesn't have the jaw dropping scenes like Li, Pitt, and Robbie. The climax of the film feels a big detached because Calvao doesn't really deserve what's happening to him.

The final thing that's great about this film is all the bit parts. Chazelles wife gets a nice little meaty role as a director. And you have a bunch of cameo's from figures of the silent age. I couldn't even keep track of all of them. I feel sad for people who are going to end up watching and finding his on TV or on their computer. This is something to be seen on the Big Screen.

Victim of The Night
I agree with you about Javier Bardem - we feel curiously distanced from his character, and it therefore feels like he's not really in the film. Dave Bautista was barely in the film, and from what we got I wish we'd seen more of him. I wonder what exactly ended up on the cutting room floor. I thought Jason Momoa's Duncan Idaho had a lot more to do, and you can kind of glean his character a lot more from his physicality and presence. Timothée Chalamet I was unsure about - since yeah, not a multi-layered performance - but I just came down on his side in the end, and I was probably being far too kind. His role is kind of crucial, but amongst the plethora of great acting in Dune his name never pops into my head. I'm sure if Villeneuve and Chalamet could have another go at it, they'd change things. I mean, I've seen from Call Me by Your Name that the guy can act, and I think he kind of found himself with this child-among-adults part and dialed it down to spoiled but well-trained boy trying to be a man instead of just giving Paul Atreides a personality, and playing him as just another guy in the story. People playing messianic roles tend to dilute them of any idiosyncrasies and character - instead freeing them from flaw and giving them a perfect and boring temperament.

Denis Villeneuve's film is far from the perfect cinematic version of Dune that seems like a Holy Grail for the history of film - but I really enjoyed the snapshot we got. What it lacked in depth it made up for with scale, some great performances and production design. It's shallow, but so beautiful that it's entrancing and extremely likeable. I can't get the whole story from this film alone, but it makes for a very nice compendium to Frank Herbert's legendary tale. I'm surprised this film didn't extend itself to a 200 minute running time, but I expect it might have drawn criticism for being too punishing in an era where audiences are getting tired of this trend of longer and longer runtimes. Because everything was so good, I would have liked more of everything too - especially the things you pointed out - but I thought it was a very good film in spite of that drawback. You see, I came into it expecting to be blown away with Dune's sound and vision, and expecting little else. It sounds like you went in hoping for more depth, story and character. I brought that along with me like a packed lunch, but I can't imagine what this film might be like to people who have never read Dune or seen Lynch's version of it.
I think what I brought to it was that this is two of my friends' favorite book of all time but is simply too long for an ADD-addled brain like mine to handle, so I was hoping Villeneuve could show me why this story is considered so seminal. He did not.
But if I could say one thing to fix the film, I hate to say it, but it needed to be longer. We needed to know who some of these people were. We needed more Isaac to care as much as we were supposed to by the part with him. We needed more Momoa to appreciate what he does at his time. We needed more Bautista to understand why they bothered to cast Bautista and not some much-cheaper muscley-guy. And the dense story just needed time to breathe so there wouldn't have to be so much exposition->exposition->exposition->action->exposition with Villeneuve-breaks for lengthy wide-shots.
This film needed more room to breathe. If you don't already know the story, so much "happens", whether it's lengthy expository back-story fill-ins or lengthy expository explanations of the current situation, or the sheer number of characters being "introduced", I came away from it not understanding Dune hardly one bit better than I did when I went in.
In a time when too many movies pass the 150-minute mark, this one absolutely needed to pass the 180-mark and I agree, I think I'd go 200 to make this work.

Victim of The Night

By http://www.impawards.com/2017/guardi..._two_ver4.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=52041243

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - (2017)

As expected, I didn't like this film as much as I did the first Guardians of the Galaxy (a very tough act to follow really.) That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, because I enjoyed watching it a lot - I think this ensemble is one of the best groups of characters we've seen in a science fiction franchise since Star Wars. They all work particularly well - Dave Bautista is hilarious as Drax the Destroyer, and the story itself has that sense of irreverent humour that works so well in these films. Rocket stealing the batteries the team has just defended from Abilisk? Perfect. As I hoped would be the case, the story actually has great meaning - especially for Quill (Chris Pratt) whose father finds him, and tasks him with a horrifying inheritance, teaching him who his real father has been all along (Yondu - played by Michael Rooker.) There are real stakes, and we advance the story instead of seeing another meaningless episode flash by. Baby Groot is adorable. What all of this is adding up to is the fact that I'm a big fan of James Gunn's work - Super is one of my favourite films of all time, and I love Brightburn, The Suicide Squad and of course the first Guardians of the Galaxy film.

7/10
As someone who was disappointed by the first Guardians film, I actually liked this one quite a bit. Quite a bit more, actually.

Victim of The Night

Babylon (2022)

I don't know what it says about me where two of my favorite films of the year feature explosions of bodily fluids but Damien Chazelle's Babylon is the most divisive film of the year and I'm on the positive side. This movie is three hours long and it flies by the 20 minute pre-credit party scene is amazing. This is a film that I don't youtube will let you but you need to pause parts to see all the debauchery in the background.

The party sets up the plot where a Hollywood leading man (Brad Pitt) his gofer (Deigo Calva) and a party crasher (Margot Robbie) have a fun time which leads into a silent film shoot the next day. Robbie gives what I feel is the performance of the year as an unashamed drug addict looking to become a star. She's incredible in this the only thing keeping her from the Oscar is she keeps her clothes on (sort of). But she has five or six sequences in this film that are pure manic energy.

Brad Pitt is also in this as the inverse of Cliff Booth, Jack Conrad the biggest star in the world who has to deal with the changing of the times. Pitt is doing the best work of his career right now, he walks a fine line between being on a full on libertine and a melancholic man. His story really sticks with you and you wish he was more of a focus of the film. Sadly he's more a supporting figure than the lead which is a shame because he's the one who emotionally grounds the film.

Unfortunately because all films have to look the same we have three other stories for "diversity". Joven Adepo plays a trumpet player who gets a full character arc and it frankly feels anachronistic. It really sucks that this character is in the film because it feels less like a contrast and more like an insult. His character sticks out like a sore thumb in this one. What's worse is it contrasts with Li Jun Li as Lady Fay Zhu. Fay Zhu plays a Chinese lesbian who feels authentic to the era turning into the stereotypes of the era but creating her own character. She feels like she belongs in this world unlike Sidney Palmer....who should be in a different film. One you would skip because it's dull.

Diego Calvao plays a gofer who rise to executive in this crazy world. He's very good in this and feels like a real person. He's flawed makes some poor choices but is a solid POV character for the film. He starts to pass himself off as a Spanish from Spain producer in the film...which is a subtle shift that works. His early scenes are better than his later ones and he doesn't have the jaw dropping scenes like Li, Pitt, and Robbie. The climax of the film feels a big detached because Calvao doesn't really deserve what's happening to him.

The final thing that's great about this film is all the bit parts. Chazelles wife gets a nice little meaty role as a director. And you have a bunch of cameo's from figures of the silent age. I couldn't even keep track of all of them. I feel sad for people who are going to end up watching and finding his on TV or on their computer. This is something to be seen on the Big Screen.

Alright, I'm goin' to see it as soon as I can.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (8/10): probably the most despised entry in the franchise; however I've never hated it and find it quite entertaining. I will say I have serious doubts with Indy 5.

Don't remember laughing this hard with a movie in a long time. The credits song is hilarious. Al is (was?) just amazing

As someone who was disappointed by the first Guardians film, I actually liked this one quite a bit. Quite a bit more, actually.
I also prefer the second Guardians movie to the first mainly because I find Peter and Gamora kinda boring, and in 2 the characters I like more (Rocket, Groot, Drax, Yondu) get more screen time with their own side adventures. Plus the Ravager Funeral is one of the more emotional moments in the whole MCU, especially since they don’t undercut it with jokes for once.

Not bad. Nothing major.

Excellent movie. Really enjoyed it.

Bros(2022)

One of the most controversial films of the year as straight people violently refused to watch Billy Eichner's magnum opus of the gay rom com. Could I person that is bored and dislikes PC culture give a film like this a fair shot. Who was this movie made for? And why did it get such great reviews.

Well Bros is....perfectly fine a film that is average and misguided in it's basic structure but yet still a watchable film. The film has sporadic comedy bits in which I laughed a few times. The problem with Bros is it's two different films...on one hand it's a lecture series. The film is often talking to the audience about it's political agenda. If you wish to make that your movie fine cool. But the problem with Bros is that I know the lecture is wrong. One of the major plot points is the whole "Lincoln gay President" this thread has a full on arc. Well I know my history and Lincoln could have been gay or bisexual but the guy before him James Buchanan was probably gay. But as Buchanan was a bad president that guy can't be the focal point.

And that's kinda the problem with Bros, the lecture part of the film also tip toes around race and gender. The majority of the supporting characters are POC and yet they have no agency. While that's the bad part of the lecture the film is also a rom com. Problem with the romcom is it's a derivative and cliche'd as rom coms get. You know the formula and while Eichner goes in some good directions with the formula it's still a formula.

Night Mail, 1936

This documentary follows a mail train as it goes about its nightly routine of sorting, dropping off, and collecting mail in Scotland.

As dozens and dozens of YouTube videos of containers being filled to the precise top, or machines producing perfect sized foods have demonstrated, there's something really compelling and satisfying about watching an efficient system at work. This film taps into that feeling as we watch the synergy of men and machines working through a familiar series of actions.

There's a lot to love here if certain things appeal to you aesthetically. Do you like trains? Check. Do you like watching well-choreographed team tasks? Check. A lot of the content of this film is stuff I would categorize as being things I find enjoyable in a very gentle way.

At the same time, there are some fun moments of tension. Bags of letters must be hung outside of the train at the right moment to be grabbed by metal arms and then dropped into waiting nets. It gives a good sense of the timing and coordination required.

The film is a very positive portrayal of the jobs of the workers. Everyone does seem a bit more chipper than you might expect on a mail delivery night shift. If this work comes with serious risks or downsides, they aren't included in the film. Still, there's just enough of a staged feeling to it all that this doesn't feel inherently too dishonest. Maybe it's a kind of honest-dishonesty.

Overall this was a fun, brisk watch, and a very cozy sort of documentary.

The Net, 1995 (C-)

Sandra Bullocks finds about a hack/virus/backdoor, and is pursued by hackers trying to silence her.

Not great at all. The hackers are basically magicians, but not in a fun, Angelina Jolie's Hackers kind of way, but in a plot foresight, can do anything to stretch the runtime almost to 2 hours kind of way. Largely just a chase movie with a very stupid resolution, with a plot that can barely even justify itself with how underwhelming everything is.

Sonny Boy (1989)

I gave this a try because it had decent reviews as a cult exploitation film and it stars David Carradine and Brad Dourif. It's wacky and has it's moments but it just isn't very good.

Downpour, 1972

In a small town in Iran, schoolteacher Mr. Hekmati (Parviz Fanizadeh) arrives at his new position and struggles with being seen as an outsider. When the adult sister of one of his students, Atefeh (Parvaneh Massoumi), comes to the school to argue with him about how her brother has been disciplined, a conversation between the two in an empty schoolroom becomes the basis of the whole town suspecting the two are engaged in an illicit romance. This puts both Hekmati and Atefeh on the spot, as it is assumed that Atefeh will marry the local butcher and tough guy, Rahim (Manuchehr Farid).

This is a really neat film, which uses the structure of a romantic comedy to lay out implicit political critiques about the dynamics of watching and being watched.

Part of the way through this film, I began to get the feeling that I was missing something really important about what the film was saying. I am incredibly grateful for an essay that was written by Hamid Naficy (the essay is called "Furtive Glances" and is available on the Criterion website) that helped me to understand the political context of the film. The movie was made at a time when many Iranians were frustrated and fearful by the government's spying (and torture and execution) on citizens.

Even without the understanding of the underlying political content, there is a lot to enjoy in this film. I always say it's a good sign when I agonize over which still image to include in a review. There are so many delightful visuals here, especially in the first half.

The film makes great use of expansive spaces, such as in a shot where we see the protagonist up high on a ladder as he works to fix up an old theater space or in the long shots of students doing exercises in the school's blacktop. There are also some very funny visual moments, like a character trying to exit a room that is full of a comically absurd number of overturned chairs.

On the surface, the romance itself is almost textbook. Hekmati and Atefeh cautiously circle each other for ages, finally having a breakthrough conversation during a rainstorm where they share an umbrella. The town delights in gossiping about the pair. Rahim, obsessed with his hair and harrumphing around the town is basically a real human version of Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. In a montage sequence, Hekmati cleans up the theater space so that the children can perform in it.

But underneath this fairly typical story, the watchful eye of the entire town becomes something more menacing. It doesn't seem that way at first. At first it feels like a built-in part of the slapstick nature of the movie. The image at the top of this review is preceded by a shot in which there are no children.

The way that the children suddenly appear (not just behind the tree, but up in the trees) feels almost like some demented homage to The Birds. But in the third act, where we expect a typical resolution, things take a turn. The relentless surveillance and suspicion is no longer a fun, exaggerated quirk. It becomes something that does permanent harm.

Overall I thought that this movie was very strong. It does feel a bit overlong by maybe 20 minutes. There's a sequence toward the end where Hekmati goes out drinking with someone else that just felt like it dragged and dragged. The film finishes really strong, but the 15 minutes that come before the last 10 minutes kind of stall out the film's momentum.

Definitely recommended. This film was barely saved from oblivion and required an extensive restoration.