David Blaine in a Box

Tools    

I See You When You're Sleeping
I don't know if anyone overseas knows this but

The 'illusionist' is hanging above London's River Thames in a box.

He's staying up there for 40 days without any food. He has a tube which provides him with water (no added nutrients).

I think it would've been more interesting if he was doing this for charity, maybe in name of people who have had to starve themselves for certain reasons but no, the money raised by publicity is his apparently.

Hmmm… maybe he’ll raise enough to pay for his funeral at least…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Lets put a smile on that block
Ive been having chats with my mates about this Blaine fellow. Im quite interested in it really. i totally agree with you minion about him doing it for charity or something but a lot of people i talk to about it just think his an idiot for doing it. i certainly think his nuts but im glad his doing it. It makes London a little more interesting at least. And its interesting to see how long his gonna stay up there, which by the way its going i dont think will be long.

You know, he stood on a pole in NYC and got froze in a block of ice and all he ahd was support from his fellow americans, but i was just watching him on skyone (The channel over here in the UK which has put a camera on and in the box 24/7) and all he has recieved is abuse! Its so fecking typical of the British public. Its only day 6 and already his had eggs thrown at the box and some git has parked a burger van under the box cooking and selling them all day long! When i was just watching it, a load of guys who were obviosly drunk and have just come out the pubs were throwing stones at the box and calling him a tosser and a wanker! (its a little funny really but more shocking than funny ) He was trying to get to sleep and the minute he moved everyone below cheers and starts shouting. Silly David Blaine....he couldnt have picked a worse place really.

wow i cant believe how much ive had to say on the matter....my life is so empty

Ha Ha, you can't get any more classic than throwing eggs...

He thought he had snipers on him but it turned out to be a couple of girls with laser pens.

Get off my island
Apparently, he is going to black out after three - four weeks due to lack of salt. I hope he stays the distance, but seriously doubt he will...

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

there's a frog in my snake oil
He's got at least another 30 days to go i think. And man was he acting WEIRD in the trailers that ran up to it. He seems to have a bit of a god-complex going on (and the hamster cheeks from his enforced feeding preparation just made it all the more surreal). Well, he deserves himself i reckon

I can see why he wanted to be actually over the thames, rather than just next to it as he is. His job is about knowing about people - and i'm sure he would have known about british traits like belittlement and cynicism (not to mention "hooliganism")

Bruce Campbell Groupie
You guys can call me a cynic, but I'm calling myself a realist, he ain't gonna complete this task, and if he's ill as a result of this than it serves him right, publicity seeking twat.

Keep the language down there knoxy or at least hide it with missing letters

I culdn't care less about mr blaine I shoudn't have started this thread, ah well.

hope he fails.

If David Blaine really wants to attempt the impossible and test man's mental and physical endurance, he should come and clean my house.

I can see it now:

[in monotone Ted-Koppel-style]

"We're on day 27 of Blaine's astonishing attempt to clean this house, and I believe he may have reached his breaking point. Eyewitnesses say he began throwing books into the corner at around 7:33 this morning, screaming--and I quote--'I will burn this b*tch down. That will be clean. That will be f*cking clean.'

Back to you, Dan."

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Mary Loquacious
If David Blaine really wants to attempt the impossible and test man's mental and physical endurance, he should come and clean my house.

I can see it now:

[in monotone Ted-Koppel-style]

"We're on day 27 of Blaine's astonishing attempt to clean this house, and I believe he may have reached his breaking point. Eyewitnesses say he began throwing books into the corner at around 7:33 this morning, screaming--and I quote--'I will burn this b*tch down. That will be clean. That will be f*cking clean.'

Back to you, Dan."
Now THAT i would pay to watch

Does anyone know how his getting on? ive been at Uni this week and no longer have access to the comforts in life such as TV or telephone so im dissocnnected from the real world and have been engulfed in the world of drink and sleep

Do you know my poetry?
Reported by Internet Movie Data Base :
Tearful Blaine Emerges From Perspex Prison

An emotional David Blaine ended his 44-day starvation stunt Above The Below in London by telling fans the experience had been one of the most important of his life. The American illusionist has been suspended in a perspex box above the River Thames since September 5 but was released last night. Starving Blaine, 30, told the cheering crowds that he was deeply grateful for their support and broke down as he described his what he had learned from the experience. He said, "This has been the most important day of my life. I have learned more in that box, than I have in years. I have learned to appreciate the simple things in life. I love all of you forever." Officials on hand weighed Blaine and found that during his incarceration he had shed an incredible 56 pounds. They then rushed the ailing magician to a nearby hospital, where he will remain as he recovers from his ordeal.

Wow he actually did it, I didn't think he would even last a month.

Well, there's a reason for that according to a US law student on the scene. Amongst all the crackpot reasonings concerning potential fakery (note the holographic projection one that seemed to do the rounds!) this is a doozy....

"There's got to be some sort of trick because if he died, somebody could sue".

I just love that. One of the interesting things about this experiment is the contrast of reaction between London and the US-based stunts. Like, did Blaine realise he might get a frostier, let's-take-him-down-a-peg-or-two reaction from Brits? Surely. I don't know how his ice stunt was received, but his one-off standing trick drew rapturous crowds. Still, it was nice to see the british frostiness soften as this action inched towards being an acheivement.

Considering how arrogantly and messianically he started, it's good to see him finish humanely and messianically . His summary that life makes no "sense" ultimately (NB that's not to say it's meaningless in my book - nor in his i suspect), so it's important to have a sense of humour.....those are some nice down to earth sentiments garnered from having nothing but eye-contact, observation, introspection and mind/body control at his command. I'd love to believe that's some bit of english mentality that's been transferred thru the eyes of the adoring or the bored that grew in number to throng round his death-imitation, but really, i suspect it comes from facing death, but still having some sunshine and some smiles to help while away the time

Now, if he could just sort out the home-grown mentality that suggests that a man starving himself to death can be cause for suing! Who's fault would it be?? We could say God's, but acts of god are notoriously difficult to define. Let's just say nobody's would be a victim here but he who self-inflicted the "crime". Anyone who whines that they are a victim of it needs 44 days in the perspex box too

What a strange world

yup, he owns all the tv rights etc. It's all beautiful man (we'll see if he completes the messiah trick by giving all his earnings to charity or somesuch )