Martin Scorsese
David Lynch
Quentin Tarantino
Steven Spielberg
Kevin Smith

Peter jackson..

http://jamesdean4ever.terapad.com/

I think spielberg.
I didn't really get why E.T. was so widely loved, I don't blame the government from taking him, for all they knew he had space aids. Also, it tried to hard to pull at the heartstrings, but it didn't work for me.
Raiders was great, though the other two were kinda' mediocre.
Recently his visual style is latent with ultra bright scenery.
A.I. was pretty boring and most of the themes in it were already covered in other more interesting films.

Kevin Smith is really, I think, a better writer. His early movies were bogged down by wooden acting, mostly by secondary characters.

Spike Lee

Alfred Hitchcock. He made a few decent films, but I find a lot of his films quite shallow - he's hardly one of cinema's great artists. I've never understood his popularity.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Alfred Hitchcock. He made a few decent films, but I find a lot of his films quite shallow - he's hardly one of cinema's great artists. I've never understood his popularity.
I'm sorry, I HAVE to disagree, Alfred Hitchcock is one of the few to actually scare me.

I love Rebecca and some of his other films are entertaining enough - but does he really deserve to be thought of as one of the greatest ever directors in cinema for making lots of escapist thrillers.

Hitchcock may have been a child, but at least he made some great movies - he also made a hell of a lots of films, the guy worked hard!

My vote has to go with George Lucas. He's a household name, worth billions of dollars (literally), but what has he actually directed? American Grafitti? The (appalling) new Star Wars movies? Give me a break... all of these guys we've mentioned so far have at least made one decent movie.

A system of cells interlinked
I love Rebecca and some of his other films are entertaining enough - but does he really deserve to be thought of as one of the greatest ever directors in cinema for making lots of escapist thrillers.
So, what genre of films are "great" directors allowed to make?

Yes, he does deserve the title.

So, what genre of films are "great" directors allowed to make?

Yes, he does deserve the title.
I'm not saying thrillers can't be great films, but for a director to nearly always make thrillers similar to each other - some of his thrillers like Psycho, North by Northwest, The 39 Steps just seems a bit shallow to me - i'm not saying there is anything wrong with the film technically, but I sometimes just don't see what is so amazing about it - never has a lasting impact on me. Don't get me wrong - I think Rebecca is a masterpiece and it was very atmospheric, and I like Vertigo and Rear Window. I even think Frenzy is a very good film. I am surprised that people like Truffaut respected Hitchcock as much as they did - not that he ain't a good filmmaker, but Truffaut held him in higher regard than directors like Bunuel and Tarkovsky. I mean this is just my opinion and if people see something extraordinary in his films I simply just don't.

Tarantino's a good call for the biggest underachiever in Hollywood actually - such a promising start, but he's vanished back into his own QT mythology. And those cameos? Try telling me that he'd have got those if he hadn't directed Reservoir Dogs.

As for Tim Burton, you seem to all be picking on him just because the emo kids like him. That's not really his fault - and some of his movies are pretty cool...

Gilliam falls into the underachiever bracket too actually - although again, I liked Brazil. Mind you, can you be overrated when not that many people actually rate any more anyway?

I think Oliver Stone is overrated.
Honestly? Alexander? Please.
And the way he "tweaked" Natural Born Killers."
I will admit if I hadn't know the script was written by Quentin Tarantino then I might have a lighter opinion of the movie.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
I'm not saying thrillers can't be great films, but for a director to nearly always make thrillers similar to each other - some of his thrillers like Psycho, North by Northwest, The 39 Steps just seems a bit shallow to me - i'm not saying there is anything wrong with the film technically, but I sometimes just don't see what is so amazing about it - never has a lasting impact on me. Don't get me wrong - I think Rebecca is a masterpiece and it was very atmospheric, and I like Vertigo and Rear Window. I even think Frenzy is a very good film. I am surprised that people like Truffaut respected Hitchcock as much as they did - not that he ain't a good filmmaker, but Truffaut held him in higher regard than directors like Bunuel and Tarkovsky. I mean this is just my opinion and if people see something extraordinary in his films I simply just don't.
Hitchcock is generally a considered a great craftsman than a great artist. The hype isn't about profundity, it's about technical innovation.

but I personally think Peter Jackson is extremely overrated... Everybody knows he sucks.