The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

70. Basic Instinct - I think the success of Basic Instinct led to a whole slew of sexually charged thrillers in the 90s (not that it invented the formula or anything.) It's another one of those thrillers whose title is a seemingly random adjective followed by a random noun. Rabid Interest - I got that from a random adjective and noun generator, and it'll be coming out in 2025, but it could serve as the title of this film just as well.
I would say Fatal Attraction is the one to "thank" for that (see? adjective noun!) I mean, it made a lot of money, and on top of that got a handful of Academy Award nominations, which proved that this "erotic thriller" formula could "work", whatever that means. But yeah, Basic Instinct is probably the epitome of that sub-genre which gave Michael Douglas a career during that decade.

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. only seen basic instinct once and didn't care for it, but i have been meaning to revisit it (and considering how i've already managed to rewatch decidedly inferior erotic thrillers from the same era like fatal attraction or indecent proposal, i really have no excuse not to). body double is one of my few remaining de palma blind spots so i'll save it for a special occasion. maybe i should double bill these two.

Victim of The Night
This is my obligatory "I thought _______ would be higher" post.

In this case, Body Double.

Guess I shoulda voted.

It's funny, I've seen 16 out of 32 neo-noirs, but if you're following the regular Noir list, I'm one of the people who have seen 0 of the 32 so far.

I swear I watch classic Noir. But I have a distinct feeling I've only seen the well known ones.

It's funny, I've seen 16 out of 32 neo-noirs, but if you're following the regular Noir list, I'm one of the people who have seen 0 of the 32 so far.

I swear I watch classic Noir. But I have a distinct feeling I've only seen the well known ones.

Neo-Noir has had so many different movements over the years it's not surprising. For Classic Noir I think once 40 comes along you would likely have seen everything

3lists57points
Mystic River
Director

Clint Eastwood, 2003

Starring

Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon, Laurence Fishburne

5lists57points
Mother
Director

Bong Joon-ho, 2009

Starring

Kim Hye-ja, Won Bin, Jin Goo, Yoon Je-moon

TRAILERS

Mystic River - Three childhood friends in Boston are reunited when the 19 y/o daughter of one of them is tragically murdered. But their friendship is put to the test as their involvement in it comes to the surface.

Mother - A mother desperately tries to prove the innocence of her mentally challenged son, when he is pointed out as the main suspect of the murder of a young girl.

Mystic River is pretty good. One of those films that's a bit of a hard watch for how depressing it is, but it is very well done and well acted. That said, I really didn't think of it as neo-noir, and even if I had, I don't think I would've voted for it.

Mother is excellent, though, and I had it at #22. It is either my favorite Bong film, or it is very close with Parasite for the top spot. It is bleak, twisty, and well acted. Also, as I was preparing the reveals, I realized all the connections it has with Mystic River, which I thought was interesting. Anyway, this one's most definitely worth a watch.

SEEN: 19/34
MY BALLOT: 4/25

My ballot  

A system of cells interlinked
Stunned that something like Mystic River is out ahead of a well-liked neo like Body Double, but whatever. Mystic River is a straight up crime thriller.

Anyway, 1/1 on seen with these last two and no votes from me today!

22/34 seen

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. saw mystic river once but remember not liking it (and that's about the only thing i remember about it). also saw mother once and have been meaning to rewatch it among other bong films but we'll see if/when i get to that.

Stunned that something like Mystic River is out ahead of a well-liked neo like Body Double, but whatever. Mystic River is a straight up crime thriller.
Well, technically, they're tied so not that far "ahead".

Madeo (Mother) was my #10. I made a spot for it on my T100 a few years ago. Still thinking about some pieces of it so I guess I liked it very much.

Mystic River didn't make my ballot but I enjoyed it very much when I revisited it again for the 2000/s countdown.

Mother was #97 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s. Mystic River was #65 on that list as well as #99 on the rebooted MoFo Top 100.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

OOF! That's a depressing double whammy.

I haven't seen Mystic River, but I know what happens in it. I saw Mother once and although it's good, I haven't been inclined to watch it again.

Both are a bit too depressing to make my list.

I watched Mystic River the other day and it was watchable but I was very undwerhelmed. I don't really get on with Clint Eastwood films. Then I found out that Sean Penn grabbed a major acting award that year - while Bruno Ganz had nothing at the same event for his unbelievable portrayal of Adolf Hitler in Downfall. And that made me even more sad and bitter.

Mother is very good, in Bong's top 4 perhaps.

I have seen Mystic River its a good movie but not on my list. I haven't seen Mother. I am not well versed in Asian cinema. I know the Koreans have been making excellent stuff for like thirty years now but I haven't seen very much of it.

Reply to Topic