Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Fear and Desire (Stanley Kubrick, 1953) -

It has some good moments and ideas but the editing is just awful and the storytelling isn't that good, either.
The movie Kubrick wanted to destroy... Yeah, I can see why! That and the one after that are simply awful.

A classic for a reason. Nearly 30 years old and shows indeed that animation's golden age has passed. It's far superior and more mature than that Love Live movie I watched yesterday. Also has a lot of pop music but it's glorious 80's pop and rock! A masterpiece of it's genre and one of the finest science fiction comedies ever made.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Confidential Report aka Mr. Arkadin

One of the best film-noirs I've seen in a long time and, honestly, might be one of my favorite Welles films. The narrative is somewhat incoherent and dizzying, but that helps evoke a dreamlike, lucid atmosphere. A hidden gem.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

A bit over hyped but I really did like it a lot, the casting was very well done and the actors did their namesakes proud for playing their parts so well, and for the most part they were pretty consistent with facts I've read and heard so it's nice to see/hear actual members of the group correlate some of these truths (Ice Cube and Dr Dre acted as producers, as did Eazy-E's wife Tamika Wright) The movie itself is a journey from the house in the hood with broken AC all the way to the mansions and excess and eventually the consequences and tragedies that follow. Will watch again for sure.

7.5/10

The Revenant (2015)

Honestly... one of the best films I've ever seen. I'm not sure if a re-watch would change that but as of right now, I was blown away. Everything clicked for me with this one. So many amazing scenes including the legendary bear attack that was absolutely perfect. The thing I liked the most is hands-down the cinematography. IMO, this is on par with Days of Heaven as one of the best-shot films in history. The acting from Leo and Tom Hardy was stellar, I would like to see at least one of them win an Oscar for this. One of the main knocks on it I hear is that it's too slow, I didn't think that at all though. I thought the pacing was perfect for this story about a man struggling to survive in the harsh wilderness.

It's still fresh in my mind, but I can't think of anything else to say other than it's a masterpiece.

Time really flies when you're having fun.

Absolutely fantastic film, I loved so much of it. The score was incredible, I thought the cinematography was great and the ending was so awesome. It definitely makes me want to watch more of the types of movies, as I had so much fun watching it. I may write more about it in my review thread, but I think I'm going to spend my time watching a bunch more spaghetti western movies for now.

And that harmonica... damn.

EDIT: Now #10 on my top 10.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Revenant

Fifteen minutes into the film, right after the Native attack that opens the story, two people next to me got up and left the theatre. It was about ten minutes after that that I looked over to my wife, she seemed bored out of her mind. As the credits rolled, I asked her what she thought. She went on to list off all her problems with the film, mainly the length and how 'boring' she found it.

So what did I think???

Suspect's Reviews

Matt, I liked your review of The Incident. I saw it on TV years ago and knew nothing about it, just who was in the cast. And everybody did a terrific job, especially whoever played the lead thug (it's been so long and I can't find a name on IMDB that rings a bell for him or his character) and Beau Bridges. Heck, even Ed McMahon did a great job as the dad trying to protect his family (only not trying too hard!). And it's one of the most tense movies I've ever seen and I had to blow out my breath at the end when justice was served up. Greatness!

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (2014}

Of course, this is the third installment (or the first half of the third installment) of the Hunger Games series and this one, in my opinion is the best so far. Things are so much more serious this go-round and Jennifer Lawrence is excellent as always, especially when being filmed by cameras after witnessing the slaughter of innocent people, or the aftermath of a destruction of a District. The District she's rescued by is not above using her to promote the revolution to rile the other Districts up to fight the Capital. While most of the film takes place in the new setting, there are sequences where Lawrence gets to fight and destroy some baddies, and by extension the rebels do their part. There is more drama and tension than outright action but it's all very good and we get a cliffhanger (duh-dum!), too! This is my favorite one so far, but then again, I'm a fan of the series.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I give it a 13/10!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
And everybody did a terrific job, especially whoever played the lead thug (it's been so long and I can't find a name on IMDB that rings a bell for him or his character)...
Tony Musante.

Four Nights of a Dreamer (1971)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Finished here. It's been fun.

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

There's no grace or poetry here, Altman tries to "deconstruct" the idea of a western but fails to understand what makes a western good in the first place. The anti-capitalism message is blunt, obvious, and Altman's photography is damn uninteresting, too. The performances are great, though, but that's to be expected. The whole experience just left a bad taste in my mouth. It'll be a while before I watch another Altman.

Disappointing.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Suite Francaise (2014)

I thought this would make a good film, and they definitely picked the thread of the story which would make most sense as a thrilling story for a film, yet somehow without the background it loses some of its power and depth. I wasn't convinced by Michelle Williams as Lucille, either.

Slow West (2015)

I can see why people had problems with this film, there are aspects of the story that don't fully make sense, but it does seem almost as if it supposed to be more allegorical or impressionistic than strictly realistic in some ways. I actually liked it enough to forgive it its flaws. It looks fantastic, it's well acted and it doesn't outstay its welcome. Worth watching.

I have to return some videotapes.

I cannot pick out many flaws about this movie. This easily is my favorite of the year (barring Hateful 8 topping it). Leo has an amazing performance and my god the cinematography is breathtaking. Maybe they could have cut a bit out, but other than that it was just great. Watch it in theaters! It is worth it for the bear scene.

-

Damn, all these The Revenant posts makes me so excited.

I'm going to see it Wednesday, which is the earliest possible showing of this in Denmark. I'm going to the press screening on the 13th, but the actual premiere here isn't until the 21st of January - which is also my birthday. Anyways, guess seeing it some time before is an early birthday present to myself.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
For those who have seen "The Revenant" - how was the dialogue? If I had to guess, I would think it doesn't have much. I never watch a movie for cinematography. I'm guessing a few of you have this seen this movie probably know if I'd like it, and if you think so, let me know, I might think about it.