Top 10 Most Succesful Movies

Tools    

I don't think Titantic was that great at all. It just happened to be the fad of '97. It was long and drawn out actually. The effects of course were the best part.

guys guys this is not hard to figure out

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.html

scroll to the bottom "Most Profitable Movies, Based on Absolute Profit on Worldwide Gross"

What about star wars episode three, or will it only count after it is out of theaters and received the total earnings then?

A system of cells interlinked
Episode III is currently in the #11 spot, with a good 10 million to go for top 10....

UPDATE: Star wars:Episode III has now officially passed Jurassic Park to take over the #10 spot, with around 358 million after this weekend.

(talking US figures only here, as for the world.... still down around number 19 or so)

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Can't believe Titanic with its ropey CGI boat is no1.
Episode 1 sucked so badly, but I guess the hype fooled us all.
Again ropey CGI-Jar Jar.
If there is a God, me, Jar Jar, a baseball bat, a quiet room and half an hour, that's all I ask Lord.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

In the fifth, my ass goes down...
Isn't it weird how none of my "favourite" movies are in that list.

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
guys guys this is not hard to figure out

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.html

scroll to the bottom "Most Profitable Movies, Based on Absolute Profit on Worldwide Gross"
Yeah, but what about inflation? None of those lists actually show all of the most successful movies of all time.

Originally Posted by firegod
Yeah, but what about inflation? None of those lists actually show all of the most successful movies of all time.
Not that list, but look around elsewhere on the site..they have another top movies of all time list that does inflation as well....if i remember correctly star wars is at the top of that one..the old star wars

nevermind i found the part of the site for you: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/index.html

the top part is not adjusted for inflation but the bottom part is.

Wow, one of my threads is still going on almost 7 months after i started it......and it only took 7 months for it to get 30 posts *tear comes to eye*

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Sedai
love the avatar Blister, I do that all day at work, I am that little dude...
You're Lionel Ritchie at work????

Originally Posted by Tacitus
You're Lionel Ritchie at work????

This just shows that amount of money a movie makes does not necessarily translate to how good the movie is. I would not even consider any of the top 10 in my top 20 ... well, maybe one of the LOTR, but that's about it.

One other thought ... the price of a ticket is now $10, as opposed to when I was growing up as a kid, it was $4. So it's unfair to compare how well Titanic grossed, compared to how well Jaws grossed. Perhaps the real number they should compare is number of tickets sold.

The problem is all those movies sucked

"Walk down the right back ally in Sin City, and you'll find anything" Marv

Personally, I liked Titanic, Return of the King, The Sorcerer's Stone, The Two Towers, Jurassic Park, Chamber of Secrets, Fellowship of the Ring, and even Finding Nemo.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by cutter
So it's unfair to compare how well Titanic grossed, compared to how well Jaws grossed.
They take into account the inflation the dollar has gone through.

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
nevermind i found the part of the site for you: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/index.html

the top part is not adjusted for inflation but the bottom part is.
I particularly like the list "Most Profitable Movies, Based on Absolute Profit on Worldwide Gross". Notice that Star Wars, released in 1977, is 4th on the list. That just goes to show what type of impact that movie had back then. The other interesting list is "Most Profitable Movies, Based on Return on Investment". That is one that I'm pretty sure studios look at with much interest.

Can we try with real bullets now?
Originally Posted by The Blister Exists
05) Star Wars: Ep 1 $924.5
This is the work of