Name Some Multi Dimensional Actor

Tools    

In response to the One Dimensional Actor thread.

Name some of the deepest and most versitile actors/actresses out there.

Gotta start off with Johnny Depp who, besides in my opinion IS the most talented actor out there right now, I think can play any role out there and make it his own.

Daniel Day-Lewis.
'nuff said
[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Currently:

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Charlize Theron
Ryan Gosling
Cate Blanchett
Russell Crowe
Samantha Morton
Johnny Depp

Back in the Day:

Humphrey Bogart
Bette Davis
Alec Guinness
Katharine Hepburn
Jack Nicholson
Meryl Streep
Dustin Hoffman

- Robert De Niro
- Johnny Depp
- Daniel-Day Lewis
- Viggo Mortensen
- Cate Blanchett
- Forest Whitaker
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman
- Tom Hanks
- Russel Crowe
- Adrien Brody

Some departures:

- Marlon Brando
- Jimmy Stewart
- Jimmy Cagney
- Bette Davis
- Heath Ledger

Dachshunds Fear Me
Johnny Depp - the whole package. A brilliant, nuanced character actor trapped in a leading man's body.

Russell Crowe - ditto, and back in the groove after a fabulous turn in 3:10 to Yuma last year.

Robert Downey, Jr. - from tragic Julian to Charlie Chaplin to Iron Man Tony Stark, with a pit stop in hell. Yeah. He can fly.

Meryl Streep - Mamma Mia, is she the best, or what?

Cate Blanchett - I'll forgive her for Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

Morgan Freeman - his performances know no age, or color. An absolute classic, and a class act.

George: Arthur.

A system of cells interlinked
Naomi Watts

One need look no further than her magnificent, multi-faceted performance in Mulholland Drive to see how versatile Ms. Watts is. From the bubbly, almost sickly sweet Betty Elms persona, to the shattered, bleak Diane Selwyn. Watch the scene in which Betty goes to audition for a role in some potboiler flick. When they have her read her lines, she instantly draws the viewer into the scene with her skills. One of my favorite performances in film.

After Dark Knight comes out I think Heath will take the cake.
Hell in the trailers he was taking the cake!

John Cusack
John Leguizamo

Kevin Spacey. He appears to immerse himself in every character to the point where that character is wearing his body. He can be funny and yet make himself appear gut wrenchingly grief-stricken, he can even make himself die! ...Well,... watch him in L.A.Confidential and look into his eyes after his character has been shot; I don't recall a better, more convincing portrayal of life slipping away before your eyes.
I must take issue with the naming of Meryl Streep. Maybe it is just me, many say she is a brilliant actress; it is well known, but I don't believe her performances, perhaps with the exception of Deer Hunter. Doesn't she overact, all the time? Like I said, maybe I am wrong and as such I would like to be corrected.

Naomi Watts

One need look no further than her magnificent, multi-faceted performance in Mulholland Drive to see how versatile Ms. Watts is. From the bubbly, almost sickly sweet Betty Elms persona, to the shattered, bleak Diane Selwyn. Watch the scene in which Betty goes to audition for a role in some potboiler flick. When they have her read her lines, she instantly draws the viewer into the scene with her skills. One of my favorite performances in film.
I second that. Naomi Watts is a tremendous actress and I have never seen her give a half-arsed performance, even in her more commercially misguided films. She's extremely talented. No doubt about that at all.

I have to acknowledge my boy Paddy Considine. The man's an acting genius. Any emotion, any quirk or suggestion can be conveyed effortlessly by him. I'll tell you what, i'll give you some films of Paddy Considine and you all can watch them just to get an idea of how versatile he really is.

A Room For Romeo Brass

Dead Man's Shoes

In America

All COMPLETELY different roles. One role he's a complete sad and pathetic weirdo, the other in which he's a menacing yet sympathetic vigilante. And the last one he's an Irish immigrant who's struggling to take care of his kids. All fascinating performances.

Meryl Streep - Mamma Mia, is she the best, or what?
I was really surprised that Mamma Mia turned out to be one of the few new movies that I've really liked this year, especially since I never cared for disco, wasn't an ABBA fan, and at one time couldn't stand Meryl Streep. But her performance as she was singing "Winner Takes All" was magnificient. I'm disappointed that there hasn't been much discussion about that film in this forum, especially since it's one about which I could be very positive!

You've got to give credit to Robert De Niro, from Goodfellas to Meet the Parents, and Christian Bale, from the Machinist to the Dark Knight. Both amazingly multi-faceted.

kick back and watch humanity go by
Johnny Depp
Edward Norton
Russel Crowe
Christian Bale

Johnny Depp is talented and can always be counted on for an interesting performance, but how many times has he played an average real-life modern-day human being as opposed to Sissorhands, Ichabod Crane, Cry Baby, that off-the wall law officer in Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Sweeny Todd, or Jack Sparrow? Depp plays weird really well, but can he play real people? The one film I can recall him playing a sorta-average person was the one when he was a book dealer in The Ninth Gate, and he played that character as dull.

Daniel Day-Lewis certainly does take on his role, as does Depp. But Lewis gets into the authentic feel of a character like Hawkeye or a turn of the century oil man whereas Depp is more apt to play his character as a 9-year-old girl or as an aging rock star. Lewis is more in the mold of Paul Muni who really could disappear into a role, much to the studio’s dismay because they wanted movie stars, not actors.

Viggo Mortensen, as someone else suggested, has been good in different (yet mostly action) roles, but I haven’t seen him in that many movies, so he’s hard to judge at this point.

Russell Crowe really nailed the essence of the darkhorse boxing champion in Cinderella Man and he was good in Mystery, Alaska, but in Gladiator and Master and Commander, I was very aware that I was watching Russell Crowe, not an unique character.

Tortuga said: “Morgan Freeman - his performances know no age, or color. An absolute classic and a class act.” I agree that Freeman goes beyond color in that he plays characters who could be black, white, or Asian. The only other black actor I know of who can make the character’s color disappear is Bill Cosby, who has done primarily TV. The one thing (I won’t call it a fault) about Freeman however is that nearly all the characters he plays are just so laid back and unruffled most of the time, although they can express anger at times. Still the primary image is this likeable, easy going guy (even when he’s playing a thief or killer), so I wonder if every character is like that or is Freeman just playing Freeman time after time?

I like John Cusak, primarily for his role in Pointe Blank, a very funny film. But I haven’t noticed much variety in the few of his films I’ve seen. Probably need to see more before judging him.

Kevin Spacey is one of the best actors working today who has convincingly played aliens, cops, beleaguered head of households, and the most realistic cripple since Lon Chaney.

Now one guy I always enjoy watching is Kevin Kline because he brings different nuances to each role. Consider the western gunman in Silverado, the goofy ex-CIA agent in A Fish Called Wanda, the presidential stand-in in Dave, the closet-homosexual teacher of In & Out, Bottom in A Midsummer Night’s Dream (there aren’t that many Hollywood Stars capable of doing Shakespeare well), and the openly gay Cole Porter in De-Lovely.

It seems to me that Tom Selleck is not appreciated for the way he can stretch his acting ability. Best known for his TV comedy-drama Magnum, P.I., Selleck has also played tough cowboys (including a really good remake of Monte Walsh in a role created by Lee Marvin), the homosexual newsman in In & Out, different comedic roles in Three Men and a Baby and Mr. Baseball.

Two other extremely versatile actors: Richard Dreyfuss and Dustin Hoffman. Hoffman can do more to make a role come to life than any actor living today—check out the spread of different characters he portrayed so well in Midnight Cowboy, The Graduate, Rain-Man and Tootsie. Not an overlapping characteristic among the bunch.

However, the most versatile actor ever in the sense of mastering uniquely different roles has to be Lon Chaney, man of a thousand faces. And I’m not just talking makeup. Take a look at Chaney’s portrayal of Sgt. O'Hara in Tell It to the Marines (1927). That performance was so good that the Marine Corps named him an Honorary Marine, an honor rarely bestowed by the corps (John Wayne's Sgt. Ryker never earned it). The Marine publication Leatherneck Magazine reported at the time, “ . . . few of us who observed Chaney's portrayal of his role were not carried away to the memory of some sergeant we had known whose behavior matched that of the actor in every minute detail ..."

Not even the great Paul Muni was that good, but still was at least second-place: Check him out in Juarez where he looks exactly like photos of the Mexican leader, the original Scarface (which I still think is head and shoulders better than the remake), Angel on my Shoulder and I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang

One of the movie greats that we think we always know on screen but who I still maintain did some great stretches is James Cagney. Look at his breakthrough tough-guy role when he hits an actress in the face with a grapefruit in Public Enemy (which The New York Herald Tribune described at the time as "the most ruthless, unsentimental appraisal of the meanness of a petty killer the cinema has yet devised"), and yet he capped another tough-guy role with a gut-wrenching cowardly death scene in Angels with Dirty Faces. He wins an Oscar as song-and-dance man George M. Cohan in Yankee Doodle Dandy (not his only singing-dancing role), plays a very laid-back, philosophical Joe in William Saroyan's The Time of Your Life, does the tyrannical petty martinet Captain Morton in Mr. Roberts, and caps his career with a frantic comedy with long stretches of snappy dialogue in One, Two, Three prior to his retirement. Although he often seemed to be typecast in gangster roles, that didn’t keep him from creating one of the most memorable villains in film, Cody Jarrett in White Heat and changed what could have been a B-movie into a cult hit. I’ve heard that many of the key elements to that character (the headaches, the scene of Cody sitting on his mother’s lap, the scene where he kicks the chair on which Virginia Mayo was standing, causing her to fall on the sofa, and the scene where Jarrett goes berserk in the prison message after hearing of his mother’s death) were either suggested or improvised by Cagney.