Luf's 50 greatest,most shocking,unexpected plot-twists of all timre.

Tools    

Cool list and I especially appreciate your numbers 4 and 1, and am grateful you didn't include High Tension.

No Sixth Sense though?

Try to watch Contratiempo if you haven't already, but watch it blindly

No Sixth Sense though?
Seriously. Love it or hate it its the poster child of twist ending movies.

Love that you include The Others though. Underrated.

I would also add Celia which is an obscure Australian film that literally knocked me over backwards at the end. I actually fell out of my chair. It basically lulls you to sleep as a coming of age film for almost its whole run then SUDDENLY transforms itself into a kind of psychotic revenge film.

Cool list and I especially appreciate your numbers 4 and 1, and am grateful you didn't include High Tension.

No Sixth Sense though?

Try to watch Contratiempo if you haven't already, but watch it blindly
High Tension was predictable as hell.
I guessed The Sixth Sense about 30mins into movie. Also, very obvious.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
High Tension was predictable as hell.
I guessed The Sixth Sense about 30mins into movie. Also, very obvious.
How could you predict High Tension when the twist literally made no sense.

Suspect's Reviews

47. NEVER TALK TO STRANGERS(1995)
Dir. Peter Hall

"It was YOU following YOU!" -The whole time! Dun DUNNN!

I've heard about this one. I heard the twist was completely brain dead. Am I right?

Well I watched Incendies. Spent about ten minutes being furious with the film after I guessed the twist.
So much of it annoyed and confused me and yes i guessed the twist pretty early on. I liked it alot despite this though, it's the only Villeneuve film i like so far.

18. ARLINGTON ROAD(1999)
Dir. Mark Pellington

Glad you included this. This may be the twist that has worked on me the most, guessing that's because i was like nine years old but still it blew my mind at the time.

2. ORPHAN(2009)
Dir. Jaume Collet-Sera

I didn't see this coming but it's probably the most stupid twist i've seen in a film. I burst out laughing when it was revealed.

Edit: Didn't see Suspect's post when i said this

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It's the only Villeneuve film I've seen so far!

I wouldn't say I was enjoying the movie up until that point, because it was too harrowing for enjoyment, but I was thinking it was a very good film. Soon after Jeanne talks to the janitor I knew what was going to be revealed and then I was just annoyed. For one thing it was kind of contrived. For another I feel like there were a lot of questions thrown up at the end:

WARNING: "Incendies" spoilers below
Why did he just switch sides? (I think it would have been more effective if he hadn't, because then it could have shown violence on both sides and further underlined the pointlessness of the division). Why did she send her children on what was effectively a wild goose chase if she knew he was in Canada all along? Why didn't the notary just tell them in the first place? Sure, a promise is a promise etc. etc. but it was an extremely convoluted way of having the twins find out the truth, with no guarantee they would actually find anyone able to tell them, in a country where they don't even speak the language. How come she recovered enough to tell the notary everything to write but then died? Won't the twins be in danger after their father knows the truth?

Perhaps I missed the answers to some of these, but I was left feeling a bit annoyed, especially since it had been so powerful up until that point.

On twists in general - they are probably more effective when you don't know there's one coming. As soon as you know there's a twist, you're looking for it, and that makes it easier to guess.

A good film is a good film whether you've already guessed or been told the twist or not and should stand up on a second viewing.

Perhaps I missed the answers to some of these, but I was left feeling a bit annoyed, especially since it had been so powerful up until that point.
I watched it back in February or something so i can't remember most of that but yeah i had similar problems. This is what i posted at the time and i don't even know if it makes sense now haha.

WARNING: "incendies" spoilers below
Loved this because it had excellent performances and was very powerful. I do think it was flawed though, some of it was very hard to swallow.

Firstly i guessed the twist fairly early on, which wasn't that big of a problem as it wasn't just about that and also i wasn't entirely sure of it until it was actually revealed. The things that bugged me a bit were the very convenient coincidences, most of all: Abou Tareq just so happening to get sent to interrogate her, if it turned out he was deliberately sent there because his bosses knew he was her son to inflict additional mental torture on her i would have accepted that. Obviously that wasn't the case tho as it's never mentioned and also she only found out years later by coincidence which would defeat the purpose of harming her with it. While the odds of her and her son following these paths that lead to this are small it is something that i could accept because at least they where in the same country. Which brings me to the worst one, her managing to bump into him at a random pool in Canada, that was ridiculous. If it was standalone i'd maybe take it easier but in addition to that early one i was bothered by it.

Another problem i had while watching was the ages of everyone not seeming right. I've thought about it more and i think it about passes, forgot that she was in prison for 15 years at first. I still think they should have use an older looking Abou for the pool scene though, as he didn't look much older than he was during the rape scene which had to have been 20+ years earlier considering the ages of Jeanne and Simon.

I still liked this alot, those were just some of the problems i had with it. Lubna Azabal gave one of my favourite performances of this decade.

The performances were very good, especially Nawal and Jeanne.

WARNING: "Incendies" spoilers below
I get why they had it happen at a pool - how else would she see the marks on his heel? I get why they had to use the same actor as well, even if he didn't look old enough, because otherwise it would just be some random older man and we wouldn't know why she was so shocked (if we hadn't guessed it already!). But the fact that they had to use those contrivances suggest a flaw in the plotting.

Are you just going to list the films or are going to specify specific plot twists? How are people who haven't seen the films you're referencing supposed to know what you're talking about?