The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

When I listen to the podcast it keeps restarting itself. Guessing it's an iPad thing.
If it's the embedded version, yeah, might be. Did you try the direct download link? That might work better.

I had The Godfather at #11, and Jaws at #25, both great movies!

My List-
#1 Taxi Driver
#2 A Clockwork Orange (7)
#3 Saturday Night Fever (87)
#4 Animal House (66)
#5 The Warriors (37)
#6 Chinatown (6)
#7 The Exorcist (12)
#8 Coming Home
#9 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (8)
#10 The Deer Hunter (38)
#11 The Godfather (1)
#12 Little Big Man (61)
#13 Apocalypse Now (9)
#14 Mean Streets (77)
#15 Deliverance (51)
#16 Smokey and the Bandit (124)
#17 Mikey and Nicky
#18 The Beguiled
#19 Marathon Man (73)
#20 The Gauntlet
#21 The Marriage of Maria Braun
#22 The Last House on the Left
#23 Straw Dogs (83)
#24 3 Women (126)
#25 Jaws (2)

17 of my 25 movies made the list, and I managed to see all 100, although I watched 4 of them after they were revealed.

Movies I considered voting for-

Old favorites
Alien
Assault on Precinct 13
Blazing Saddles
Breaking Away
Carrie
Dawn of the Dead
Dirty Harry
Dog Day Afternoon
Enter the Dragon
Every Which Way but Loose
Hooper
Kramer Vs. Kramer
The Last Detail
The Longest Yard
Mad Max
Midnight Express
The Omen
Slap Shot
Young Frankenstein*

New Favorites
All the President's Men
An Unmarried Woman
Charlie Varrick
Cries and Whispers
Dersu Uzala
Nashville
Night Moves
Paper Moon
Scarecrow
Scum
Shampoo
The Shootist
Sorcerer
Stroszek*
That Obscure Object of Desire
The Tin Drum
Wake in Fright

Joe(1970) should have made my list somewhere in the mid to late teens.

Thank you very much Holden and great job, not only on the countdown, but with your analysis of the movies, and for all of your recommendations prior to the countdown. I watched a lot of great movies for this list, and found some new favorites. I think that is what this is all about, and you played a huge part in it.

massive props to Holden Pike, such a fun countdown
The Godfather and Jaws were both on my list, and The Godfather is no doubt about it a deserving decade champ. Actually left it off my recent Top 50 all time favorites countdown, but it was always close by and could have easily been in. It was #14 in my 70s ballot. Guess people tend to go into it with outrageous expectations thinking 'greatest movie of all time' from the get go. I don't like watching movies with that mentality, i just like to let a movie speak for itself. And the first time i watched The Godfather, it blew me away, which was about 4 years ago or so. So many great scenes, and i'm always a sucker for a Brando Vito Corleone impression.

Jaws is simply the best 'ocean movie,' tons o' fun led by Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, & Robert Shaw as Quint. The shark hunter. Looking forward to reading mark f and Honeykid's posts about it

in the meantime, here's my complete and final 70's ballot

With all due respect to the previous hosts, but this was the best countdown so far for me. It was flawlessly put together, full of great films and it was simply a wonderful celebration of one of the most inspiring decades of cinema! I enjoyed it a lot. I'll make sure that I'll watch the films I haven't seen from it yet.

My full top 25:

1. Chinatown (1974) - #6
2. A Clockwork Orange (1971) - #7
3. Taxi Driver (1976) - #3
4. Apocalypse Now (1979) - #9
5. Manhattan (1979) - #52
6. The Long Goodbye (1973) - #19
7. Carnal Knowledge (1971) -
8. The Godfather (1972) - #1
9. Five Easy Pieces (1970) - #53
10. Barry Lyndon (1975) - #16
11. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) - #22
12. All That Jazz (1979) - #96
13. Le Cercle Rouge (1970) - #60
14. Nashville (1975) - #43
15. Network (1976) - #32
16. The Sting (1973) - #57
17. F for Fake (1973) - #82
18. Amarcord (1973) - #122
19. MASH (1970) - #78
20. The Heartbreak Kid (1972) - #130
21. The Conformist (1970) - #71
22. New York, New York (1977) -
23. Night Moves (1975) -
24. Eraserhead (1977) - #26
25. Farewell, My Lovely (1975) - 1 Point!

----------------------------------------

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
1. Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick, 1978) (29th Place)
2. Spirit of the Beehive (Victor Erice, 1973) (62nd Place)

3. Claire's Knee (Eric Rohmer, 1970) (113th Place)
4. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979) (20th Place)
5. Celine and Julie Go Boating (Jacques Rivette, 1974) (110th Place)
6. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Chantal Akerman, 1975) (89th Place)
7. Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick, 1975) (16th Place)
8. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Bunuel, 1972) (84th Place)

9. Cuadecuc, Vampir (Pere Portabella, 1971) (Didn't make it)
10. Killer of Sheep (Charles Burnett, 1977) (Didn't make it)
11. The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (Raoul Ruiz, 1979) (Didn't make it)

12. Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974) (6th Place)
13. House (Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977) (76th Place)
14. The Last Picture Show (Peter Bogdanovich, 1971) (64th Place)

15. Love in the Afternoon (Eric Rohmer, 1972) (Didn't make it)
16. Trafic (Jacques Tati, 1971) (Didn't make it)

17. The Outlaw Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood, 1976) (49th Place)
18. The Long Goodbye (Robert Altman, 1973) (19th Place)
19. Badlands (Terrence Malick 1973) (58th Place)
20. The Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1975) (45th Place)
21. Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977) (26th Place)

22. Ici et Ailleurs (Jean-Luc Godard, 1976) (Didn't make it)
23. Perceval le Gallois (Eric Rohmer, 1978) (Didn't make it)

24. F for Fake (Orson Welles 1974) (82nd Place)
25. A Touch of Zen (King Hu, 1971) (1 pointer)

And the Stats:

1970: 23 (1 film)
1971: 40 (4 films)
1972: 29 (2 films)
1973: 39 (3 films)
1974: 37 (3 films)
1975: 45 (3 films)
1976: 13 (2 films)
1977: 34 (3 films)
1978: 28 (2 films)
1979: 22 (2 films)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
MR MINIO - MY LIST

1. The Mirror
2. Red Psalm
3. Stalker
4. Tale of Tales
5. Autumn Sonata
6. The Fifth Seal
7. Barry Lyndon
8. Man Who Sleeps
9. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
10. Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
11. A Woman Under the Influence
12. Spirit of the Beehive
13. Iluminacja
14. The Serpent's Egg
15. Successive Slidings of Pleasure
16. Pictures of the Old World
17. Death in Venice
18. Trzecia Czę¶ć Nocy
19. El Topo
20. The Travelling Players
21. 3 Women
22. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
23. My Name is Nobody
24. Céline and Julie Go Boating
25. Solaris
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
22. Ici et Ailleurs (Jean-Luc Godard, 1976) (Didn't make it)
Funny I watched it today.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Funny I watched it today.
Godard reconciling the struggles and traps of making political films causes him to reconcile the fundamentals of cinema, I love it!

Just got done with the podcast. Great stuff. Was very surprised Alien was the film to beat early on. But it does not surprise me The Godfather took over and never lost the top spot. And yes, even I one of the biggest Taxi Driver fans had to vote for The Godfather. It is just too good not to vote for it. Heck I even went out to see it on the big screen. Brilliant film. Granted I was a bit strategic in it's placement.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Good ole' Deadite. Of course he had Salo on his list.

I had both Jaws and The Godfather. I have never been so satisfied with a top ten. Usually the back end of the list is where I have most of my films, but the Seventies is topsy-turvy for me. I had five of the top ten on my own .

Thanks, Holden. You're one hell of a list runner. It looked great, it's informational, and you're always on time. I was fairly quiet but that doesn't mean I wasn't enjoying it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Jaws is my #1 on the '70s List and my favorite film ever. The Godfather is my #5 of the '70s and in my Top 15 ever. Good job, MoFo! Kudos to Holds whose love of film (and especially '70s film) suffuses each of his posts.
1. Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)

I considered making this post all visual and with no words. I find Jaws to be the most-visual movie I've seen, so it seemed appropriate, but I also find it to have wonderful dialogue, the kind which not only shows its characters to be flawed humans but also to be warm and witty about it. Yep, this is my ultimate movie and has been ever since it basically saved my life in the Summer of '75. Before Jaws, I deeply enjoyed movies; after it, I was obsessed with them.

From its opening scene, Jaws proves itself to be a film full of tension and unafraid to show you things which you've never seen before. The scene where unfortunate Chrissie Watkins goes for a swim and encounters a shark still has never been topped or even approached.

I truly love all the characters of Jaws, but my fave is Chief Brody (Roy Scheider). Saddled with an irrational fear of the water, he is forced to come to the aid of his family and his town. Roy Scheider gives an incredible performance, full of frailty and wisdom.

The grizzled shark fisherman Quint (Robert Shaw) offers to try to pull the community of Amity out of its potential financial losses due to shark attacks, but the "town fathers" refuse to accept that there's a problem.

Rich ichthyologist Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) is called in by Brody to prove that something is still rotten in Amity, despite the protests of Mayor Vaughn (Murray Hamilton). Too bad Matt dropped that tooth the size of a shot glass he found in Ben Gardner's boat.

Things come to a head when the Fourth of July turns nasty, and Vaughn is forced to accept that there IS a shark problem. As the shark claims its fourth victim, it narrowly misses Brody's older son.

Well, the first part of Jaws is certainly nerve-wracking and humorous, but when Brody, Quint and Hooper go out on Quint's boat Orca to hunt the shark, the movie definitely takes several steps up the scary adventure scale. John Williams score, which heretofore has mostly been a scary theme similar to Psycho turns more classically adventurous. Much of Jaws wonderful music reminds me of an Errol Flynn swashbuckler.

The characters' individuality come even more into the forefront in this part of the film. Quint, who's harboring a secret about his hatred of sharks, tries to put Brody in his place because he knows the Chief knows nothing of seamanship, but the sailor also tries to put Hooper in his place because he feels he knows too much, despite the fact that Quint considers him a rich brat. This certainly adds to the tension on board the Orca.

Jaws just seems to be such a fortuitous combo of events. The shark wouldn't work, so what do they do? Film the scenes without the shark. Borrowing from Val Lewton, Spielberg makes things scarier by showing less. The novel was a potboiler. It was thrilling, but bogged down with adulterous subplots. What do they do? Streamline the whole thing. Toss out everything which isn't directly related to how the characters relate to the specific situation at hand. In other words, how do we kill the shark before it kills us? How do we work as a team?

Jaws flows all the way through for me. I don't usually use the word "pacing" because it really doesn't convey anything, but I will say that there is not one scene I would cut from Jaws. If I were to cut scenes, it would lose some of its power and entertainment value. No, it's not perfect; but it's the closest I've seen to perfection.

Just when you think things couldn't get more personal, Quint goes ahead and drops his bombshell. Sure, the three are enjoying a drink and comparing "war wounds", but then Quint reveals that he was a crewmember of the U.S.S Indianapolis. Robert Shaw is riveting delivering his self-written monologue about what it was like to be stuck in the water with numerous sharks when the ship was torpedoed after delivering the Hiroshima bomb. You want to see world-class acting?

From here on in, Jaws escalates once again, and I'm not going to talk about the plot anymore. Hopefully, these photos will bring back memories and not ruin anything for anyone who hasn't seen it. Somehow, I don't think they are super spoilers.

I will say that of all the films I've seen in the theater, this one had the greatest crowd reaction. It's hard to believe that it could top the participation of Star Wars, but I have to say that it did. I can't tell you why. Of course, I believe this to be the better film, and it did come first, so maybe that's part of it. But even though this film is as much of a fantasy as Star Wars, it seems to be more about real people which you can relate to. I'm not saying that I don't fully relate to the characters in Star Wars, but Brody, Quint and Hooper truly seem like members of my family, so in that way, yeah they're uniquely human for me.

For all its cinematic invention, suspense and special effects, Jaws is a film about people, Real People. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when the mourning Mrs. Kintner approaches Chief Brody on the dock, and upon learning who he is, she slaps him and reads him the Riot Act. This immediately makes Brody feel lower than he already feels, but the film quickly segues to a poignant scene around the dinner table where the Chief silently "plays" with his younger son by making faces and gestures which his son copies. It brings a tear to my eye, and then ole' Matt Hooper shows up to start eating off people's unfinished dinner plates, and I'm back to laughing.

I could do a commentary on Jaws, but it would be from the viewer's perspective and not the makers'. I wonder which one would ultimately have more of an impact on the average film buff?

Please be open to feel free to love movies and share your love about them, especially here at this site. I feel secure that even if somebody doesn't believe you (think: Mayor Vaughn), eventually enough of the other members will rally to your aid to solve your personal shark problem. Of course, it always helps if you know which way is up and how many barrels your shark can drag under your boat. Happy fishing!
I think I already said enough about The Godfather in my post about The Godfather Part II.

Good stuff! I think at this point it was pretty much a given that The Godfather was going to take the crown. Even though I'm not particularly fond of the series, I recognise why it's so highly regarded. As is the same with most lists, I found what came up outside of the top 10 to be the most interesting part of the whole experience. That's not to knock this list at all, but one comes to expect certain things to turn up high on a list of great 70s cinema. It is what comes up that is outside the realm of those expectations that kept me most engaged.

Looking back at my own list, there are definitely films in there that wouldn't be if I were to put it together today. Although at this point I'm not entirely sure what I'd fill those holes with if given the chance.

Anyway here it is:

1. Mirror (Tarkovsky, 1975)
2. A Woman Under the Influence (Cassavetes, 1974)
3. Chinatown (Polanski, 1974)
4. The Mother and the Whore (Eustache, 1973)
5. Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979)
6. Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1976)
7. Celine and Julie Go Boating (Rivette, 1974)
8. Apocalypse Now (Coppola 1979)
9. Badlands (Malick, 1973)
10. Barry Lyndon (Kubrick, 1975)
11. The French Connection (Friedkin, 1971)
12. Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Peckinpah, 1974)
13. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (Herzog, 1972)
14. Two-Lane Blacktop (Hellman, 1971)
15. Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom (Passolini, 1975)
16. Alien (Scott, 1979)
17. The Conformist (Bertolucci, 1970)
18. McCabe and Mrs Miller (Altman, 1972)
19. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (Petri, 1970)
20. Claire's Knee (Rohmer, 1971)
21. Love and Death (Allen, 1975)
22. Jaws (Spielberg, 1975)
23. Performance (Roeg, 1970)
24. Edvard Munch (Watkins, 1974)
25. Dawn of the Dead (Romero, 1978)

Those struck out and in red made it onto this list. Making it 16 of 25 which made the final cut.

Very well done to Holden for putting all this together - excellent work.

Fantastic ending Holden! You've done an amazing job with all the stats and links and pics etc. Must've taken you ages! Anyway you can see how appreciated you are so it was all worth it

For those who listen to the podcast, I did keep track, periodically, of the top twelve films, as I collected ballots. I didn't enter anything into the spreadsheet until I had seventeen ballots (including my own). After those first seventeen, the top dozen were...

1. Alien (220)
2. The Godfather (186)
3. Jaws (181)
4. A Clockwork Orange (165)
5. Taxi Driver (154)
6. Apocalypse Now (142)
7. Star Wars (133)
8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (126)
9. Chinatown (117)
10. The Godfather Part II (114)
11. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (101)
12. The Exorcist (99)

As you see, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which did very well and finished at number twenty-five, was all the way up at number eight in that first flurry of voting, and Alien jumped out to the early lead, the first film to crest 200 points. Just five ballots later, with the first twenty-two in, Alien was still on top, but only by three points ahead of The Godfather and Jaws, while Tobe Hooper's Chainsaw Massacre already bumped down to number twelve...

1. Alien (270)
2. The Godfather (268)
2. Jaws (268)
4. Taxi Driver (227)
5. Star Wars (207)
6. A Clockwork Orange (192)
7. Apocalypse Now (185)
8. The Godfather Part II (176)
9. The Exorcist (151)
10. Chinatown (148)
11. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (146)
12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (139)

Two ballots later, The Godfather took over the number one spot. And it never relinquished it during the rest of the voting. So at twenty-four ballots in and accounted for, this was the top landscape...

1. The Godfather (285)
2. Alien (270)
2. Jaws (270)
4. Taxi Driver (252)
5. Star Wars (230)
6. A Clockwork Orange (216)
7. Apocalypse Now (206)
8. The Godfather Part II (180)
9. Chinatown (166)
10. The Exorcist (151)
10. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (151)
12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (139)

It stayed close for a long time, and at various points along the way, fairly deep in, both Jaws and Taxi Driver were less than thirty or fifty points away. But they simply couldn't close that gap.

For a while, something else might creep in the very bottom of the list, as at the thrity-five ballot stage...

1. The Godfather (428)
2. Taxi Driver (380)
3. Jaws (365)
4. Star Wars (356)
5. A Clockwork Orange (337)
6. Alien (334)
7. Apocalypse Now (328)
8. Chinatown (312)
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (283)
10. The Godfather Part II (260)
11. The Exorcist (198)
12. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (168)

And Alien started settling in at the middle, rather than the very top. As you see, we were only a third of the way in to how many ballots I would eventually get, and The Godfather is already over four hundred points. Halloween popped up briefly in the number twelve spot a few ballots later after Aguirre, but the top dozen solidified, at least in terms as the twelve titles that would remain there, by the fortieth ballot. At that point, this was our top twelve...

1. The Godfather (526)
2. Taxi Driver (466)
3. A Clockwork Orange (425)
4. Jaws (413)
5. Alien (404)
6. Star Wars (394)
7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (374)
8. Apocalypse Now (371)
8. Chinatown (371)
10. The Godfather Part II (312)
11. The Exorcist (215)
12. Rocky (197)

And while the order would shift, those did end up being the top twelve. But you can also already see that there was a gap forming between #10 and #11/#12. That continued to widen, until the very end when The Godfather Part II finished 186 points ahead of Rocky. The top dozen were very defined, and the top ten even more defined. And that started before the midway point.

Looks like the eighty-seventh ballot is where I stopped taking my handwritten Top Twelve notes, because the ballots were coming in so quickly and the finish line was nearing. But at that point, this was your tops...

1. The Godfather (1090)
2. Taxi Driver (996)
3. Jaws (992)
4. Star Wars (894)
5. Alien (886)
6. Chinatown (804)
7. Apocalypse Now (761)
8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (759)
9. A Clockwork Orange (754)
10. The Godfather Part II (670)
11. The Exorcist (506)
12. Rocky (491)

Another dozen ballots would come in, but The Godfather was already up to almost 1,100. But as you can also see, only 110 points separated #2 through #5. Apart from The Godfather staying at number one and The Godfather Part II firmly nesting at #10, the other eight really did shift a lot, and were all very close until the very end, with Apocalypse Now and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ultimately tying, numerically.

So that was some of the journey of our Top Twelve.

As I said on the podcast, I did start to liken it to "Wheel of Fortune". For those who don't know that game show, you solve word puzzles, guessing one letter at a time. If you make it to the final game, you alone name off a bunch of letters and see if they can illuminate the word or phrase enough to figure it out and win a big prize. When the show began in the early ‘80s, it quickly became commonplace for every contestant to guess R S T L N and E as their five consonants and a vowel, since in English those are the most common letters. The Godfather, Jaws, Taxi Driver, Star Wars, Alien, Chinatown, A Clockwork Orange, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, and Apocalypse Now really became the RSTLNE of our 1970s voting. Most ballots had at least five or six of those nine on them, if not all nine. And so many of you had The Godfather consistently in your Top Ten (again, FIFTY people), that it just became unbeatable.

Some other fun little anomalies that happened along the way: at one point, like somewhere in the fifties in the balloting, something funky and funny happened. Three pairs of films were EXACTLY tied with each other on the list. I don't remember where they were as far as placement in the top hundred, but for one instant Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein had exactly the same number of points, Annie Hall and Manhattan had the same number of points, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Life of Brian had exactly the same number of points. I wish I had taken a screenshot! They all eventually separated from each other, in some cases pretty dramatically, but for that one shining moment, each pair was locked together. I think the odds of that happening were pretty damn slim, at any point in the voting.

Two films that had late charges in the last thirty ballots or so and went from hanging around the bottom of the list in danger of possibly even not making the cut to eventually placing in the top fifty were Dirty Harry and Kramer vs. Kramer. They were both languishing at the bottom, and both had sudden charges at much the same time, ultimately landing at number thirty-four (Dirty Harry) and number forty-four (Kramer vs. Kramer).

So, that's some more behind-the-scenes of how it all came together.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	RSTLNE.jpg
Views:	1474
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	17121   Click image for larger version

Name:	alien.jpg
Views:	1370
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	17122   Click image for larger version

Name:	godfather.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	17123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kruger.jpg
Views:	1738
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	17125  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I've read and seen some about the making of Jaws, but I never knew Robert Shaw wrote that monologue himself. That's an awesome scene.

I would have loved to see Jaws in the number 1 spot, but I'll happily take number two considering it's The Godfather at the top. I'm just glad it wasn't any of the other movies even though I like several.

Good times. Thanks for running this, Holden. As to be expected you did an excellent job.

I think the forum's taste has been getting better over the years (except honeykid's, of course) as we become more open-minded and watch more movies.

Anyway, here is my list. I don't know which made it or whatever so I'm not highlighting or bolding andything. Think most of them made it.

1. Taxi Driver
2. Stalker
3. Chinatown
4. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
5. The Godfather
6. The Mirror
7. Star Wars
8. Le cercle rouge
9. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
10. The Godfather Part II
11. The Conformist
12. The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting
13. Life of Brian
14. A Clockwork Orange
15. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
16. Cries and Whispers
17. Days of Heaven
18. The Spirit of the Beehive
19. F For Fake
20. The Deer Hunter
21. Ali Fear Eats the Soul
22. The Travelling Players
23. A Woman Under the Influence
24. Mean Streets
25. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."