Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Is it noir? Didn’t realize that. I’ve been meaning to watch it for awhile. If I can fit it in, I’ll try.
It's a comedy, a hilarious one at that, but it has a definitive noir vibe to it.

Is it noir? Didn’t realize that. I’ve been meaning to watch it for awhile. If I can fit it in, I’ll try.
It’s one of the rare comedy neo-noir flicks that folks like Shane Black and Martin McDonagh do so well.

I can quibble the way that fussy fanboys like to do. I do miss the garish colorful weirdness of Lynch's version to the otherwise dry clay-colored palette here. I prefer the ugly gluttony of Lynch's Harkonnen to these bleak worm-men. It's amusing that Villenueve just didn't even bother trying to one-up Lynch's slightly obscene Guild Navigator by omitting it entirely. What's the point of perfectly casting Charlotte Rampling as the Reverend Mother if you don't bother to show her face and ghostly eyes? Or pointing out that Timothee Chalamet happens to have zero magnetism?

Eh, whatever. It's a noble venture, an accomplished production, an occasionally transcendent vision that is faithful and finally has the budget to get the big things right.

9/10

Yuck, what a disappointment after waiting to see this for a couple of years (just arrived on Netflix). After the relative thematic complexity of The Babadook, Jennifer Kent follows up with this paper-thin script, a ham-fisted colonial tale with caricatures rather than characters. Our lead, Aisling Franciosi, manages to emote a little more dimension into hers, but is still hampered by a couple of crucial and inexplicable plot contrivances. Everyone else is a cartoon, either hysterically evil (the band of stooges) or magically virtuous (the aborigines), neither one requiring much human complexity. Inevitably, the film's evil is just numbing and its virtue is unconvincing. Let's hope it's only a sophomore slump.

5/10

The trick is not minding

I can quibble the way that fussy fanboys like to do. I do miss the garish colorful weirdness of Lynch's version to the otherwise dry clay-colored palette here. I prefer the ugly gluttony of Lynch's Harkonnen to these bleak worm-men. It's amusing that Villenueve just didn't even bother trying to one-up Lynch's slightly obscene Guild Navigator by omitting it entirely. What's the point of perfectly casting Charlotte Rampling as the Reverend Mother if you don't bother to show her face and ghostly eyes? Or pointing out that Timothee Chalamet happens to have zero magnetism?

Eh, whatever. It's a noble venture, an accomplished production, an occasionally transcendent vision that is faithful and finally has the budget to get the big things right.

9/10

Yuck, what a disappointment after waiting to see this for a couple of years (just arrived on Netflix). After the relative thematic complexity of The Babadook, Jennifer Kent follows up with this paper-thin script, a ham-fisted colonial tale with caricatures rather than characters. Our lead, Aisling Franciosi, manages to emote a little more dimension into hers, but is still hampered by a couple of crucial and inexplicable plot contrivances. Everyone else is a cartoon, either hysterically evil (the band of stooges) or magically virtuous (the aborigines), neither one requiring much human complexity. Inevitably, the film's evil is just numbing and its virtue is unconvincing. Let's hope it's only a sophomore slump.

5/10

I might be in the minority, but I didn’t enjoy Lynch’s Dune at all. Wasn’t the right director for it, in my opinion.

As for Nightingale, I prefer it greatly over The Babadook. Sure, the characters aren’t that deep, but I didn’t find them caricatures.

Agreed. I thought it atrocious & bailed out.

It might not be the top of the heap in terms of Sheridan's work, but I think it's one of the better thrillers I've seen in the last year or so. The way that the different characters and side-plots were layered together was really solid, the stakes were clear, and it all came to a satisfying finale.
Speaking of Sheridan's work, what do you think of his other movies? Because I've seen every entry in his Frontier Trilogy, and if I had to rank 'em, it'd look like this:

Wind River
Hell Or High Water
Sicario

Sicario's at the bottom, because, while I generally like Villeneuve's recent work a lot, his detached style wasn't particularly well suited for what should've been a more visceral and thrilling, well... thriller, while High Water is in the middle because I found it to be rather flat stylistically, but that was overcome somewhat by its fundamentally strong writing. And, Wind River is on top for me because of how evocative its chilly aesthetic was, which helped it overcome its more potboiler-y elements and sometimes problematic racial/gender dynamics to become a very compelling, surprisingly socially-conscious thriller. Also, when it comes to Sheridan's acting, I liked him as Deputy Hale on Sons Of Anarchy (even though I never clicked with that show as a whole ).

Speaking of Sheridan's work, what do you think of his other movies?
I've only seen Hell or High Water and Those Who Wish Me Dead.

Sicario and Wind River are movies that I'm interested in on paper, but never seem to get around to watching.

Now I'm wondering who I was confusing Sheridan with, because in my mind I thought I'd seen three or four of his films. Maybe it's just because I've read so much about the ones I haven't seen yet?

Victim of The Night

A classic - seen it a million times.
Absolutely would make a very short list of my favorite movies of all time.

Absolutely would make a very short list of my favorite movies of all time.
I enjoyed Butch a lot, but I'd say that I was still slightly more entertained by The Sting as far as the Newman/Redford collabs went.

Victim of The Night
It's a lot like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which I would definitely call Noir-Comedy.

Ford v Ferrari - (2019)

If I were a motorsport fan I'd be jumping up and down right now proclaiming this the greatest motion picture ever made. I'm not one though, so this was just an enjoyable enough film with great scenes of racing set during the '66 Le Mans event which involved Ford and driver Ken Miles (Christian Bale) - I thought he was doing a great British accent until I remembered that Bale actually is British. Matt Damon joins as a car designer and former driver. A true story that really has it's twists and turns, especially regarding the 24-hour event which is built up marvelously. That's 7/9 Best Picture-nominated films from that year I've seen. Only missing Marriage Story and The Irishman.

7/10
If you liked this film you might like The 24 Hour War (2016), a gripping documentary about the same material. I actually liked the doc. better than F v. F. It's the real McCoy!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4875844/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I liked Kiss Kiss…but honestly, it’s been about 16 years or so.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of my all-time favorite movies. I just find it hilarious from beginning to end and I think all of the performances are pitch perfect.

The Nice Guys is also very funny and full of good performances, but I like it a little less as it retreads certain beats from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I still consider them both really great films and they are endlessly rewatchable. The gag with Gosling breaking the window never fails to make me laugh uncontrollably.

The trick is not minding
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of my all-time favorite movies. I just find it hilarious from beginning to end and I think all of the performances are pitch perfect.

The Nice Guys is also very funny and full of good performances, but I like it a little less as it retreads certain beats from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I still consider them both really great films and they are endlessly rewatchable. The gag with Gosling breaking the window never fails to make me laugh uncontrollably.
Yeah, I’ve been meaning to rewatch Kiss Kiss for quite a few years. I remember RDJ and Kilmer being especially funny in it. Who was the actress? Michelle Moynohan? Monoghan? Something like that.

Victim of The Night
Sicario and Wind River are movies that I'm interested in on paper, but never seem to get around to watching.
This saddens me a bit as both were films that were much better than I expected. In fact, by the end of each I felt like my expectations had been redefined and I was watching really damn good movies.

Victim of The Night
I enjoyed Butch a lot, but I'd say that I was still slightly more entertained by The Sting as far as the Newman/Redford collabs went.
I also love The Sting quite a bit but I prefer B&S. But I ain't gonna fight anybody over it.

Victim of The Night
I liked Kiss Kiss…but honestly, it’s been about 16 years or so.
I went back and re-watched it recently and not only did I think it held up I think it was slightly better because I'm better at watching movies than I was when I first saw it.

Victim of The Night
Yeah, I’ve been meaning to rewatch Kiss Kiss for quite a few years. I remember RDJ and Kilmer being especially funny in it. Who was the actress? Michelle Moynohan? Monoghan? Something like that.
Yeah, and she's great in it. It's a movie that causes me a little bit of sadness because she makes me think of all the actors out there who are good that just don't quite make it.