SPOILER THREAD: Discuss "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

→ in
Tools    

Just been to see it.

Yeah, Han's death was a bit... meh. Could've made it a bit more epic. Unless he ain't actually dead.

They tried to make it more personal though. Kylo doing the way he did, making Han (and the audience) think he was turning... then boom! He's actually a total bastard after all.
Makes you hate Kylo even more. So in that respect, it works really well.

I was hoping to see more Luke though. 15 seconds at the end wasn't enough.

In regards to Rey...

Kylo's reaction to Rey says loads. There's a double edged reaction in there when he says "the girl I've heard so much about".
Is he talking about the couple times she was mentioned by his troops ("the droid escaped, with a girl")? Or is there an untold backstory there... ie; Luke's Daughter.

I think she's a Skywalker. Specifically Luke's kid.

Daisy Ridley looks like a cross between Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley and Leia seems to act differently around Rey. Also, after Han's death, Leia's reaction says a lot.

I liked the little twist though with all the marketing... making you think Finn was the Force User.

Kylo Ren...

I think he's like Vader... or at least Anakin.

A spoilt sh*t with a sense of entitlement. He wants to be big, strong and powerful... and from the story gathered, he did to Luke what Anakin did to Kenobi... but let's face it, Kylo almost got his ass handed to him by a Stormtrooper and then, he did get his ass handed to him by a Force User who had no prior training.

I think Kylo is a bitter, angry twisted spoilt little turd who has become even more twisted through the fact that The Dark Side is channelling through him.

Sure he's powerful, look at what he does a couple times freezing people and holding that laser blast in mid air... but he's not as powerful as he wants to be.

I get the impression Snoke is simply using him as a pawn. Snoke is using Kylo's passion (passion is a Sith trait) to make Kylo stronger, and also to get what he (Snoke) wants.

A system of cells interlinked
I agree completely. Driver pulled off a better Anakin than Christensen did in the prequels. That is how Anakin should have been played, anyway. Not like a total whine-ass, which is what we got in the prequels. I get the idea that a tortured dark sider is a bit harder to direct properly, so Lucas blew it there.

I was right about what the cross-saber would be used for as well.

I posted last year about it being used to burn an opponent while they clash blades and push against each other.

In regards to my last post about Ren though... ^^... the spoilt brat can't even build a proper lightsaber and he has tantrums like a child too.

Definitely, as Han said... he has a lot of Vader in him.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Just been to see it.

Yeah, Han's death was a bit... meh. Could've made it a bit more epic. Unless he ain't actually dead.

They tried to make it more personal though. Kylo doing the way he did, making Han (and the audience) think he was turning... then boom! He's actually a total bastard after all.
Makes you hate Kylo even more. So in that respect, it works really well.

I was hoping to see more Luke though. 15 seconds at the end wasn't enough.
I think its a good move to have Han die, and he died in a way that makes the audience hate the villain, you have to clear the way a little for the new cast but at the same time have a proper send off for a legendary movie character. Harrison Ford is in his 70's too. I thought it was a fantastically tense scene......."BEN"!

I doubt we will see Leia or Luke die anytime soon, Leia will remain a small part but leader of the resistance and wouldn't it be epic to see a Mother and Son confrontation, its basically been left open as to whether Leia has become skilled in the Force, she could become a full blown Jedi Master for all we know. In fact I would be surprised if Leia doesn't confront Kylo Ren at some point.

Luke will probably assume the Obi Wan/Yoda role into one training Rey and probably setting up a Jedi academy, probably leading to a Snoke confrontation while Rey takes on Kylo.

Ok, some more...

The Falcon...

The reveal was epic

I was surprised at the Falcon scenes though being Rey flying it. I thought Han was flying that in the trailers by the way it was being flown.
Proves that Rey... is a good pilot (Skywalkers were always good pilots, hint hint).

I thought Chewie was going to die though when he got hit and thought the Falcon was going to get smashed on more than one occasion too. Great fun, keeps you on the edge of your seat.

It'll be interesting to have Rey and Chewie though as the new double team piloting the Falcon... and Finn being the new Han (hey, he has to be the new Han, we need a Han style character in the movies).
With the addition of Luke in Ep8... we have a whole new team with some old-skool guys backing them up.

I feel for Chewie though. Hopefully he can find his place with Rey and Finn, BB-8, Luke and R2.

C3P0 was annoying though. Seriously. Even more than ever before.
I was never a huge fan of him, but I hated 3P0 in this film and he only had a couple seconds screen time.

In regards to Rey...

Kylo's reaction to Rey says loads. There's a double edged reaction in there when he says "the girl I've heard so much about".
Is he talking about the couple times she was mentioned by his troops ("the droid escaped, with a girl")? Or is there an untold backstory there... ie; Luke's Daughter.

I think she's a Skywalker. Specifically Luke's kid.

Daisy Ridley looks like a cross between Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley and Leia seems to act differently around Rey. Also, after Han's death, Leia's reaction says a lot.

I liked the little twist though with all the marketing... making you think Finn was the Force User.
Yea she is either Luke's child or Leia and Han's child. Being Leia and Hans child would be a bit stupid, as Han and Leia surely would've told her.

yeah the interpersonal 1-2 between Han and Ben was tense.

As we've said, it makes you despise Kylo more knowing he's acted the way he has, and then did that to Han in the way he did it.

Also, Leia... when Han dies... she knows immediately. I reckon she has been taught a few tricks by Luke, but isn't full Jedi.

Ok, some more...

The Falcon...

The reveal was epic

I was surprised at the Falcon scenes though being Rey flying it. I thought Han was flying that in the trailers by the way it was being flown.
Proves that Rey... is a good pilot (Skywalkers were always good pilots, hint hint).

I thought Chewie was going to die though when he got hit and thought the Falcon was going to get smashed on more than one occasion too. Great fun, keeps you on the edge of your seat.

It'll be interesting to have Rey and Chewie though as the new double team piloting the Falcon... and Finn being the new Han (hey, he has to be the new Han, we need a Han style character in the movies).
With the addition of Luke in Ep8... we have a whole new team with some old-skool guys backing them up.

I feel for Chewie though. Hopefully he can find his place with Rey and Finn, BB-8, Luke and R2.

C3P0 was annoying though. Seriously. Even more than ever before.
I was never a huge fan of him, but I hated 3P0 in this film and he only had a couple seconds screen time.
I think they understand that we've had 6 movies of Threepio, so the droid time has been given over to BB-8, at the same time though it's nice to see him, especially annoying Han lol.

Chewie was heartwrenching when Han died, letting out a "HHAANNN" growl and kinda going beserk. Was glad to see him live as it appeared in the trailers that he might die. Chewie was funny too, the nurse is telling him how brave he is and he's letting out those sweet noises. Well done Peter Mayhew.

Oh yeah...
"You've been a brave big boy"
"Humhmmph humph!"

Chewie got a good hit in on Kylo though. He totally laser-blasted him from distance. Woop!
Yeah I seriously felt bad for Chewie afterward though. Sitting there sobbing by himself.

One thing that was a bit of a let down was how the new Super Weapon was utilised. I was expecting a major threat from it and some destructive scenes...

Instead we got one shot, and then a build up of another shot but it got stopped. Like the first Death Star... I really wanted more destruction from it, more chances to see what it was capable of... so the Resistance would have more panic about them in the finale.

Oh yeah...

The opening scrawl...

From "A long time ago..." to the very end of the scrawl... I looked like this the whole time...

To me Finn was more of an everyman, perhaps representing the viewer a bit in some regards. Someone caught up in the proceedings of an epic galactic adventure. Poe came across as the Han Solo type to me, even if he didn't get as much screen time as he maybe deserved.

Yeah I was hoping for more Poe too.
He's a great character. I kinda see him like Wedge Antilles in Ep7 with Finn being Luke.

I was assuming that Poe Dameron was gonna head up Rogue One but I'm not sure if that's the case.

Dunno I literally know nothing about it.

My prediction is that they're gonna have Finn be the next Han Solo-type character. It would be pretty cool if him and Chewy teamed up with the falcon.

He isn't a pilot though...He kept having to find pilots to fly him somewhere. Doesn't seem like a good fit, and is now in a coma-like state. Poe is the pilot!