The Best MOVIE of ALL TIME

Tools    

(even if it is Troy...) and think it is the best film ever made, then I would have thought it would be listed as your favourite film, otherwise there must be something wrong with it to make it not your favourite. If you see what I mean.

But if there is a film that you really can't think of any film better than (even if it is Troy...) and think it is the best film ever made, then I would have thought it would be listed as your favourite film..
Not necessarily. Choosing a favorite movie (or any other favorites for that matter) is purely subjective. Do you choose yours differently? Not based on your personal biases?

..otherwise there must be something wrong with it to make it not your favourite. If you see what I mean.
Every single movie has 'something wrong with it'.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Exactly why there is no such thing as 'the best movie of all time'.
Um, no....that's exactly why there's no such thing as a 'perfect' movie, maybe.

The best just means better than anything else. It doesn't have to have nothing wrong with it in order to be better than the rest.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Um, no....that's exactly why there's no such thing as a 'perfect' movie, maybe.

The best just means better than anything else. It doesn't have to have nothing wrong with it in order to be better than the rest.
I suppose you're right. Semantics aside, though, there is no way Troy is the best movie of all time...you could say it was your favourite movie, but even the guy who claims it is the best movie of all time doesn't count it as his favourite....

A system of cells interlinked
I concur. Troy was mildly entertaining, maybe. I couldn't pick just one favorite film... My Top 10 list best represents what I feel is my favorite stuff. If I had to pick what I feel is closest to a "perfect film," I would have to say Polanski's Chinatown or maybe Eastwood's Unforgiven...

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
I know no one will agree, but I feel there are 3 movies that are as close to perfect as you can come.

Braveheart, American History X and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Every single movie has 'something wrong with it'.
Ok, if it is your choice then it is your choice, I just find it strange when there are so many movies (IMO) that are soooo much better

Ok if you had to narrow it down to ONE movie ONLY ONE to its greatness in film which would it be
The Movie Gods know there is only one truly great movie--Citizen Kane. Everything else is just exposed film.

I would have to vote The Shawshank Redemption. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman put in a supurb job and the story is just so fantastic.

*faints*

I just don't understand where this Shawshank stuff is coming from...

Have you folks seen anything pre-1990?

*faints*

I just don't understand where this Shawshank stuff is coming from...

Have you folks seen anything pre-1990?

Yes I actually have and those era's do have alot of classic films like One Flew Over Cuckoos Nest, Cool Hand Luke just to name a few. But IMO Shawshank was a better story and was incredibly acted by Robbins & Freeman.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Sometimes I think about the fact that Costner was offered Tim Robbins' role and he turned it down.

I thank God every day that he wasn't allowed to destroy that very good movie.

Well, I better get rid of those four!! I mean, wtf!!!

Oh, wait. Almost forgot this thread had NOTHING to do with anyone's favorite films!

Almost...

We are talking the BEST film of all time, and a manipulative, cliche-ridden fart locker full of cheesy voice over just doesn't qualify. Now, I do enjoy some of the aspects of the film, as listed earlier, but, I feel this is really one of the most overrated films ever.

(touche, BB)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Now, I do enjoy some of the aspects of the film, as listed earlier, but, I feel this is really one of the most overrated films ever.
Thank goodness there's someone else. I thought I was the only one. I am so fed up of seeing this film at the top of best film polls.

I liked Shawshank because it's one of the few linear films that tells the story in a very moving fashion beginning to end. It seems like a lot of movies skip back and forth in flashbacks, or have interruptions, or tell four stories at once, or skip years or months at a time. So it's really, really refreshing when an unforgettable movie tells the story like it is, with very few interruptions. And plus I love Morgan Freeman.

Then again I haven't seen as many movies as you guys all have and thus my scope of "good movies" is very limited. I wouldn't call Shawshank the best film ever made but I think it's up there.

Actually at this moment I would say my favorite movie is Singin' in the Rain. Not for any deep reason, but just because it's frivolous, and it knows it's frivolous, and I have a good time enjoying its frivolity. I think a favorite movie is just something you can watch again and again, and I've seen Singin' in the Rain SO many times and I never tire of it. It's kind of a stupid movie to call your favorite, because there's no inherent theme, and it's not particularly innovative. But it's a good story, it has amazing songs, it has GENE KELLY who is enormously charismatic, and it makes me laugh. Isn't that reason enough? This topic should open to any opinions, not just meaningful movies open to lofty discussion. Someone's favorite book doesn't have to be Crime and Punishment; it could be like...Harry Potter!

I liked Shawshank because it's one of the few linear films that tells the story in a very moving fashion beginning to end. It seems like a lot of movies skip back and forth in flashbacks, or have interruptions, or tell four stories at once, or skip years or months at a time. So it's really, really refreshing when an unforgettable movie tells the story like it is, with very few interruptions. And plus I love Morgan Freeman.

Someone's favorite book doesn't have to be Crime and Punishment; it could be like...Harry Potter!
Skip years or months at a time? You mean something like...you guessed it, The Shawshank Redemption? You know, the film about the guy that takes 20 years to chip a hole in a wall to escape from a prison, using a narrative that skips many years from time to time AND uses flashbacks of the court case and murder sequence to tell the story? Did ya see it?

Also, people can have whatever favorite film or book they wish, but this thread isn't about favorites!