The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
damn that game sound interesting. First I’ve heard of it. You guys playing on pc or consoles. Any difference, like mods or anything?
I'm on ps4. Still too new to know much of anything. It was very frustrating at first because you just kinda walk around trying to loot everything. Feels like a slower Fallout so far. I haven't logged in weeks but posts here from Sedai and random screenshots online do keep my attention. I'll get back to it sooner or later.

A system of cells interlinked
I am on PC playing The Long Dark.

Not sure what you mean by "forever night", but keep in mind that once you are fully rested, you can't rest anymore, so maybe that had you stuck? There should be a gauge in the upper right corner with little sun and moon icons to let you know what part of the night or day cycle you are in.

I found a ton of loot in that factory you are in, as well as a hatchet, which is a big help. rabbits are really only good for their skins, as they provide very little meat, but you can get by on it if you manage to kill several. I used rocks to kill a couple to start, then after I had the hatchet, I was able to break down some furniture for reclaimed wood, which I combined with the gut I harvested from the rabbits to make snares. Set up a line of snares, leave for a while, then come back (like a day later or whatever) to get your fresh kills. Much better than using rocks, which can be frustrating.

Now, i know this sounds weird, but the best way to get meat early is...find a hunting knife, and let yourself get attacked by a wolf! Make sure you are fully rested, have full health, and also make sure you have both bandages and antiseptic, as well as some painkillers/rosehip tea. When you get attacked, fight the wolf off with the knife, heal all your ailments, and follow his blood trail until you get to his body. Harvest all the meat and materials and get the stuff back to your current base. Make sure you put the gut/skins on the floor to start curing, so you can make some warm clothes later. (Thanks to Yoda for this tip)

Good luck!

I am on PC playing The Long Dark.

Not sure what you mean by "forever night", but keep in mind that once you are fully rested, you can't rest anymore, so maybe that had you stuck? There should be a gauge in the upper right corner with little sun and moon icons to let you know what part of the night or day cycle you are in.

I found a ton of loot in that factory you are in, as well as a hatchet, which is a big help. rabbits are really only good for their skins, as they provide very little meat, but you can get by on it if you manage to kill several. I used rocks to kill a couple to start, then after I had the hatchet, I was able to break down some furniture for reclaimed wood, which I combined with the gut I harvested from the rabbits to make snares. Set up a line of snares, leave for a while, then come back (like a day later or whatever) to get your fresh kills. Much better than using rocks, which can be frustrating.

Now, i know this sounds weird, but the best way to get meat early is...find a hunting knife, and let yourself get attacked by a wolf! Make sure you are fully rested, have full health, and also make sure you have both bandages and antiseptic, as well as some painkillers/rosehip tea. When you get attacked, fight the wolf off with the knife, heal all your ailments, and follow his blood trail until you get to his body. Harvest all the meat and materials and get the stuff back to your current base. Make sure you put the gut/skins on the floor to start curing, so you can make some warm clothes later. (Thanks to Yoda for this tip)

Good luck!
Holy crap! I'm halfway through your post now, replying, so I'll have to go back to read the rest but that you found a hatchet in that location is crazy. Was inside or outside? And I did not know I could throw rocks.

The forever night was me exaggerating on my ignorance in how each time I tried to rest I would wake up at night (still). From that perspective, it was like night time was harassing me, especially considering that I couldn't find the door out, through the dark, to at least roam around some. lol.

OK, going back to reading....

Huh. Yeah, thanks for those tips. I really have no idea how to play this game. Part of that is as I mentioned pages earlier with RDR2, that I just can't read the menus and text on my living room T.V. from my comfy couch to pick up the context of how things might work if I could just explore the interface more confidently (i.e., the sun and moon icons for reference. Had no idea). Actually, that's been the biggest frustration I think lately with any game I've picked up, now that I've had time to reflect. Most of my gripes can probably be attributed to that alone. I've been planning to get a monitor to then move everything back to the office, but I procrastinate.

I've seen no wolves yet, but that's good. I doubt I even know how to arm the knife to at least die fighting. Just rabbits and a few deer outside the starting cave. Rocks. Huh. Interesting.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I think it limits how much you can sleep in certain locations. If you find a bed in doors you can sleep through the night as long as you don't go to bed already low on water/food.

The rocks are annoying, but I had to kill a couple rabbits with rocks just to get some pieces of gut to create the snares. Hatchet was inside, but keep in mind, stuff randomly spawns in each game, so it might not be where I found it in your game! There should be some trailers across the way from that factory, which might be a better camp for now as you spend time exploring the factory. I built a fire outside the trailer to melt water and cook food, and made trips into the factory during the day. When you get attacked, a little menu will pop up letting you choose which weapon to defend yourself with - hatchet or knife will work.

I logged in tonight and realized I had previously left my train car to roam without direction up a nearby mountain. I had a sprained wrist and ankle. Great way to start back up, lost on a mountain and injured! I did discover a screen that offers treatment suggestions and I did have painkillers. So, yay!

After healing up I worked my way back down to level ground. I have no idea where I am relative to the train track but I did find a logging camp with three sleeping campers and a torn down log cabin with a stove. I learned I could melt ice THEN boil water using an empty can on the stove. I think I filled my gallon jug half way if I'm reading things right.

After losing the fire I wandered until I found another lumber clear cut area and a sign pointing up. At the top of that path was a broken lookout tower with a rope and a few other items. Several dead and frozen moosicles. Nothing to claim.

I saw a bear but heard him well before I got too close.

There doesn't seem to be anything past the clear cut but more mountain so I made it back to the logging camp to sleep and log.

Experience was much better this time.

Looks like that shop building I was describing earlier was the Hydro Dam, NE-most of Mystery Lake. I didn't recognize it as there was a blizzard last time I found it. I was very confused when I entered one of the nearby trailers and found that the storage items had already been "searched."

I left the logging camp to find my way here now, hoping to claim a hatchet or maybe a rifle. Before leaving the camp though, I boiled up a good amount of water and learned that I could scavenge from the dead moose that I found. I did not understand the interface when coming across their bodies before so I missed out on a few supplies. Now I have two slabs of mouldy meat to figure out and I'm not seeing a stove so far around the dam. I figure I will explore it again, now that I'm more comfortable with the interface and how this game seems to work. Maybe I missed a lot the first time through.

I really did not like this game during my first two attempts, but it's starting to grow on and and I find that my thoughts are drifting to consider other locations and how to get to them, during my days.

there's a frog in my snake oil

It's going to be a slow year in Star Citizen land.*

(*All predictions of doom regarding SC are normally trumped by something even more ridiculous )

In actual released space game news, I'm totally addicted to fricking Arena in Elite again.

I haven't filmed any new footage, so have the old stuff I used to make that gif before:

I know it's not for everyone, I know it's a barely-populated PvP spaceflight arena in a niche game with a huge bar to entry. That ideally requires a joystick (and better yet VR ). But this **** is just ****ing Star Wars zapped straight to your basal ganglia by a Death Star ray when it comes together. Seriously, just, fricking amazing. (Mainly with the VR sending things into rapture space to be honest - my god is surviving the flash Newtonian stunt that saves your hide, or sees you dive down on a pride of targets, something else in this )

Only 2 of the 4 maps truly sing (with the other 2 feeling like they were made for the CTF mode more than anything), but I keep finding new and more ridiculous escape routes the more I play them. And the feeling of getting a pro to splang behind you makes up for no end of untimely deaths at the hands of the human exocet missiles bossing things out there . Plus I'm slowly ticking off increasingly good players who I've managed to take down in a fair face-off... The skill ceiling is real

(The main game is still a bizarre archaic arachnid of technical achievement serving gameplay aridity. But I have some hopes for it yet )

Ok, that's enough about the dead genre of space games, for now

The Long Dark. I'm still alive.

I decided to take another rummage through the dam and I'm glad I did. With a better idea of what objects are lootable and a somewhat clearer idea of what to look for, I discovered the elusive hatchet.

I was scared as I kept locking myself out of that upper floor one-way doorway out to the cold. With less than half of my "sleepy" meter and lugging too much weight in my pack I saw that I could work my way downhill to the frozen river. I assumed this would lead me back to my trailer beyond the dam fence but once I arrived, on the ice was a pacing wolf. Screw that. So back up I returned.

After worming my way into an even higher hatch I got back into the dam interior. I found a few flares but didn't recognize the rooms. After another 10 minutes or so I found another exit. Damn. Same one-way exit as before.

Still assuming that the frozen river below would lead me to my trailer, I went back down hill. By now I've risked exhaustion but thought it faster than attempting another pass through the dam interior. Not so lucky it seems as I apparently was on the opposite side of the dam. No bridge and no sleeping trailer. Yikes.

After dropping all the scrap metal I had collected conserve energy, I followed the river. It only continued to branch more and more with no exit in sight. With wolves howling in the distance I worked my way up an embankment. At this point my exhaustion turned red.

A few minutes in and I found a cave that announced the hydro dam so maybe this was a back door entrance? Nope! I just kept walking farther down and into the dark. I checked my bag and luckily I had a lattern.

Through this winding cave my sleepy meter thingy turned into a bug on a windshield. Pure red and a flattened splat. Im not sure what that meant and considering I expected to drop dead for the last 5-10 minutes I took it as a bad omen. Hey. I had light and I found a bunch of these weird rock stacks with ribbons, so that's cool.

Throughout the cave I could see openings above. Daylight. I left my rope in the trailer! Not that I'd know how to use it, or if that's even an option in this game. Oh, I also left my sleeping bag in the same trailer so yeah. I'm totally going to die.

More stone stacks. More dark. More taunting light from above that I'll never walk through again. The cave seemed as winding as the river earlier but apparently I made a few lucky turns as I happened upon what looked like a camp!

There was a backpack, the remnants of a campfire, and a lovely sleeping bag. I quickly stoked a fire with 8 hours of wood and slept. I realized, after waking, that I forgot to put away my lattern so it was now dead.

By the red light of a flare I found my way up a winding ledge that led me outside. Wow. That was painful. Oh. There was a bear but he ignored me. I followed what looked like an old road uphill for a ways until I saw another tower ahead. This one was intact and had an office structure at its base. Inside? Lattern fuel, food, clothing, beds, and ...a rifle.

I don't expect to make more posts like this for the game but this was kind of grueling and rewarding at the same time. Finding a hatchet and a rifle AND surviving my own mistakes needed to be documented lol.

Great story!

I am pretty sure the area on the other side of that dam is another area entirely. I spent a little time there, but came back through the dam back into Mystery Lake and have not returned since.

Love the story of your adventure! This game is great at delivering experiences like that.

Meanwhile, I am pretty well set up in Pleasant Valley. I managed to find a good, centrally located safe house with all the necessities such as a workbench and a nice big stove. This area is huge! The weather has also been pretty brutal so far. I've already taken down a few wolves, several deer, and a bear, so I am stocked up well on skins and meat already. I have a snare line set up for rabbits as well, but those are barely worth mentioning beyond their useful skins.

Next session, i hope to venture out to do some more exploring, but the weather keeps rearing its head.

Well, it was your continued commentary and note that you found a hatchet in the dam that got me to take another look into the game, so thank you. Yoda too for getting curiousity going.

From this radio tower i can look down into a valley and i see what looks like a vineyard or some other manmade tree or vine field. There looks to be a small house next to it. I doubt I can get to it from this height but i have a solid base atm and hopefully wood to last a while. If I figure out how to hunt or trap I might be ok for a while.

Well, it was your continued commentary and note that you found a hatchet in the dam that got me to take another look into the game, so thank you. Yoda too for getting curiousity going.

From this radio tower i can look down into a valley and i see what looks like a vineyard or some other manmade tree or vine field. There looks to be a small house next to it. I doubt I can get to it from this height but i have a solid base atm and hopefully wood to last a while. If I figure out how to hunt or trap I might be ok for a while.
So this is interesting. My house in Pleasant Valley is next to an orchard. Also, I can see a radio tower way up on a mountain in the distance! Is there is a grain silo next to the house that you can see? One of my planned adventures is to try to make it up to the tower.

So this is interesting. My house in Pleasant Valley is next to an orchard. Also, I can see a radio tower way up on a mountain in the distance! Is there is a grain silo next to the house that you can see? One of my planned adventures is to try to make it up to the tower.
It's night now and no light but I'm sure that's the place. I got here by mistake throught the dam, other side, onto a river and through a cave... to grandmother's house we go. Surely there's another path here from your area?

Farther down the mountain on my way up it looked like my path split toward the direction of that orchard so madybe so? Just know that when I say road, I mean a relatively level area of snow between an occasional snow wall. No signs or infrastructure. The path that might lead your way looked thinner and ominous. I figured it would dead-end and I was near exhaustion again so I didn't want to risk it.

Once I'm logged in and with daylight i will wave. If you hear the faint echo of a Simpson's Homer-esque "DAOWH!!" then that was probably me. Falling off my mountain.

Haha

Oh for Long Dark multiplayer...
And im not ignoring your post!! I so want to play Elite and CCP's Valkyrie. Just need to invest in the VR. Low on list atm =(

lol. Yeah, reading your post I half thought for a moment we might bump into each other and thought how cool! But then I remembered it's a solo player game. I Imagine if it was multiplayer, things would get very difficult very fast, what with others competing for resources and the likelihood of PVP encounters. Things might turn very Negan, very fast. >=P

And im not ignoring your post!! I so want to play Elite and CCP's Valkyrie. Just need to invest in the VR. Low on list atm =(
Haha cool. Yeah fair play, VR is still sitting off in niche land. (And dammit even with my 1080 I'm wishing I had more computing oomph for games like Elite :/. It's totally playable, but over time you do miss some of the smoke & mirror gleam that you're used to with flatscreen )

In theory you could get into flight games like Arena / Valkyrie on a budget via the Windows headsets, have seen the headsets alone go on sale for like $150 or something. (But I'd reco getting the full 'standing in a game' package with controllers, and better kit ultimately. So might as well wait for it to all get a bit more slick and into those proper economies of scale...)