Your Hopes For X3!

Tools    

Whose powers do u want Singer to show us more of in X3?
15.38%
2 votes
Kitty's
76.92%
10 votes
Colossus'
0%
0 votes
Siryn's
7.69%
1 votes
Jubilee's
13 votes. You may not vote on this poll

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
I'm guessing Danger Room.
I thought about that, but you can see wreckage lying about that appears in the same scene in which Colossus throws Wolverine way up into the air. I'm guessing that's the final battle of the film, not a Danger Room scenario. But I could be wrong...

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Looks like the art direction is going very dark and edgy.
The first two were fairly dark, but yeah, looks like they're finally taking some bigger risks and raising the stakes. We finally get to see Magneto be overtly effective, and not just "behind-the-scenes" effective. Now the fight will be in the streets, not on top of the Statue of Liberty, or way out in middle-of-nowhere Alaska. At least, that's what I'm hoping. (As displeased as I've been over the X-films thus far, as well as the director of Rush Hour taking over an X-Men film, if they hit the points I just mentioned, that'll be one giant step in the right direction.)

A system of cells interlinked
Didn't like the X-films Sleeze? Damn, X2 is definitely up there in the "best comic films" for me. Really, I think Singer nailed X2, and it couldn;t have been handled better. Massive ensemble cast, multiple story threads, dark tone. I love X2, and watch it frequently. The first film I am not so crazy about.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Sedai
Didn't like the X-films Sleeze? Damn, X2 is definitely up there in the "best comic films" for me. Really, I think Singer nailed X2, and it couldn;t have been handled better. Massive ensemble cast, multiple story threads, dark tone. I love X2, and watch it frequently. The first film I am not so crazy about.
Eh, I don't know. I have a love/hate relationship with those films. I like some of what they have to offer, but other bits just rub me the wrong way. They were done with the right kinds of things in mind (dark tone, parallel narratives, social commentary), but they ended up feeling like Playskool versions of what they could have been. The writing is only so-so, but pretending to be great.

I really like the first 30 minutes of the first one. To me, that really captures the climate of X-Men. After that, it starts to fall into a formula, which continues for the next two films. Not everything is formulaic, of course, and there are some interesting turns. For my money, the absolute BEST, most engaging character-driven scene comes from X2, in which members of the X-Men and Magneto's crew have to work together. Man, what tension! What an opportunity for a clash of ideas and believable personalities.

Suffice it to say, the X-Men universe is a big one, and after two films, I'm a little disappointed at the fact that it's only now (after this initial trailer for X3) seeming to unfold. Perhaps it's just me, and I'm asking too much. But to me, the characters have been largely stripped of complexity (leaving only a fake indication of complexity), and worthwhile risks just haven't been taken.

A good example of something I didn't like:

In X2, Nightcrawler and Storm have a brief "heart-to-heart." They tried to make a commentary on this overlying social issue regarding mutants, and where people stand, and the scene ended up filling forced and manufactured - as if the writer needed to show a depth to the characters, and just decided to use obvious dialogue (ie. "most people will never know anything beyond what they see with their own two eyes.") instead of letting it come naturally from the character.

It's hard to explain. It's like, you don't always have the wise character say the wise things, the jerk character say the jerk-like things, and the angry character say the angry things. That's just bad, formulaic writing, and I feel that that's what Singer gave us. Nightcrawler comes off meek, so all his lines are meek and heartfelt. Stryker is the militant villain, so all his lines are militant diatribe. I really like the Nightcrawler line I quoted above, and it's true - but coming from a flat character with no real development, the line feels like nothing more than pretty colors.

I understand it's difficult to adapt something like this, especially when you consider having to deal with an ensemble of superheroes (and having to develop them all at once). They've done a fair job, I guess. But I would like to have seen more attention given to representing the person, not the character. We all know who Wolverine is. He has claws, and he's big and hairy and acts like a jerk. But that's not ALL he is. There's a real person underneath the costume.

Lots and lots of female nudity! Awright, just kidding. Actually hope that Juggernaut is a credible villain, not just a dull flunky. I heard they skewed from his comic history and made him a mutant for the movie.

Someone needs to shave Berry's head so she looks like the post-brood Ororo.

I just think it would be funny if someone shaved her head.

RE the new X-Men developments: Retarded to cutout Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner since he had the best scene in X-2. O well, the comics are stupid anyway. Lets hope they bring in Scott Summers' parents as intergalactic pirates or evil robot impostors or some such. And Wolverine should be a clone. Bring back Sabretooth with Adamantium (that it will turn out he had all along). I want at least three major retcons per movie from now on.

And they should call X3 "xXx" and it should be a crossover with Vin Diesel.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by linespalsy
Retarded to cutout Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner since he had the best scene in X-2.
They didn't cut him out exactly. Alan Cumming hated the role, and told them he wouldn't be back for X3. So instead of recasting, they just dropped the character.

Actually quite looking forward to this. Bit concerned if Ratner can fill Singer's shoes, especially has this one looks pretty epic. Just gonna have to wait and see i guess, fingers crossed.

There's treachery afoot!!!
The full trailer for X3 I think it looks great!!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/tls/trailer/

Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
The full trailer for X3 I think it looks great!!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/tls/trailer/
I agree, I've seen the trailer a couple of times now and I'm excited about X-3. But while I enjoy all the characters, my main interest is Ian McKellen. What a frigging fantastic actor! That voice should be hermetically sealed and saved for eternity.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Originally Posted by Twain
I agree, I've seen the trailer a couple of times now and I'm excited about X-3. But while I enjoy all the characters, my main interest is Ian McKellen. What a frigging fantastic actor! That voice should be hermetically sealed and saved for eternity.
I'm also really looking forward to this...

I wish that they'd show more jubilee...she's long been my favorite.

There's treachery afoot!!!
http://www.superherohype.com/news/fe...ws.php?id=4072
MUltiple Man. Looking good.

I'd like to see Wolverine actually win a fight for once. Just once. So far Sabretooth, Mystique and Deathstrike have all beat the snot out of him. Even that one soldier outmuscled him until he popped his claws. Wussy.

The X-Men films have both been huge disappointments to me. The first one was just too dark and depressing. No fun at all. I was rooting for Magneto just because the X-Men were so boring. The black leather costumes were a mistake. They should have been more distinctive. The second one was slightly better, but it's not it's own movie. You need to see the first one to know what's going on. Rehashing Magneto was a mistake. With forty years (or however many, don't be picky) worth of comics, they should have used a new villain. Even if he wasn't the main one. The whole Wolverine/Jean/Cyclops thing was ridiculous too. She's known Wolverine for what, about a week? "She did make a choice Scott, it was you.". Yeah, no kidding.

There's basically about ten minutes of good footage in both movies combined. Wolverine's cage fight and Nightcrawler's attack on the White House. That's it. All the other fights were horribly coreographed and edited. The whole series has a bad soundstage look to it. Nothing looks real. They don't compare to "Spider-Man". Granted it has a higher budget, but it wouldn't be hard to get it right.

This new one looks to actually show the X-Men working as a team. It's about time. The Incredibles showed better teamwork. Heck, "Fantastic 4" even had better teamwork. I'd give both movies a D. If the new one is as bad as the previous two, they'll all get F's.

Originally Posted by Ford
I'd give both movies a D. If the new one is as bad as the previous two, they'll all get F's.
I wasn't a fan of the X-Men comics but I thoroughly enjoyed the movies. I'd say it was the best of the comic books brought to life, even better than Spiderman. X-Men has a fantastic cast, made even better by Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen.

Taste is a subjective thing but I'm glad that I subjectively loved the X-Men movies. If I couldn't enjoy the X-Men, there'd be scarce little left of comparable quality to enjoy.

In the Beginning...
I'd like to see Wolverine actually win a fight for once. Just once. So far Sabretooth, Mystique and Deathstrike have all beat the snot out of him. Even that one soldier outmuscled him until he popped his claws. Wussy.
I somewhat agree. Besides the cage fight and slaughter of the special forces invading the Xavier school in X2, Wolverine has been pummeled up and down these films. BUT...if Wolverine is the hero, you can't show him kicking the crap out of everyone and everything all the time. Heroes have to go through hell - and then overcome that hell - to be heroes; otherwise, they are gods. This is elementary archetype writing. Wolverine struggles with Sabretooth, but sticks with him (always getting back up=heroic). Wolverine gets torn up by Deathstrike, but hangs on, and finishes her off (although, it could have been less of a last-minute-cheap-shot). The hero gets pummeled, tension builds for the audience, hero overcomes pummeling and wins, audience wins.

The first one was just too dark and depressing. No fun at all.
I think it was appropriate to the issue, which is essentially racism. Racism isn't fun like Spiderman. It's just that they didn't delve as deeply into the issue to make the audience care about it. They just kind of glossed over it - mutants are oppressed and hated, now let's fight.

I was rooting for Magneto just because the X-Men were so boring.
All the character development went to Wolverine and Magneto. Granted, an ensemble is difficult to pull off, but it's too much the "Wolverine Show." He works much better as a supporting character in the comics, I think. I mean, there isn't much to him at all.

The black leather costumes were a mistake.
Agreed. They suck. Every time I see them, I forget I'm watching the X-Men. They become some generic sci-fi team on late night FOX.

Rehashing Magneto was a mistake. With forty years (or however many, don't be picky) worth of comics, they should have used a new villain.
They kinda did. Stryker was the major threat in the second one. Magneto was there, but I liked the bit where Magneto/Mystique had to work with the X-Men. Nice tension, there. Clash of differing personalities. I wanted to see more.

Rehashing Magneto? Here's the problem. Magneto is a perpetual villain with a real plan/goal. He's not a scientist-turned-villain because of a freak accident (a la, someone you can kill off in one film). And when you get Ian McKellen to play this role, you kinda stick yourself with the guy. I'm glad they didn't make him the main villain in the second one, but they couldn't ignore the role either. Otherwise, McKellen wouldn't have come back for X3, and we'd be stuck with Brian Dennehey or something.

I still think they could have really made Sabretooth a viable villain, but corners have to be cut. They wanted an equal ratio of males to females on both sides, it seems - so that's what we got.

The whole Wolverine/Jean/Cyclops thing was ridiculous too. She's known Wolverine for what, about a week? "She did make a choice Scott, it was you.". Yeah, no kidding.
Poor writing. Poor characterization. Poor execution. It's a good idea, and could have been done effectively. It just wasn't.

They don't compare to "Spider-Man". Granted it has a higher budget, but it wouldn't be hard to get it right.
Spider-Man was different. I know specifically what you're talking about, but it's folly to compare the two. That's what people always want to do with The Hulk, but I'm telling you, it would have been even worse if they tried to make it the fun action/romantic comedy faire that Spider-Man enjoys.

This new one looks to actually show the X-Men working as a team. It's about time. The Incredibles showed better teamwork. Heck, "Fantastic 4" even had better teamwork.
Agreed.

I think the pacing is what's killed the movies. It's like they're just walking through it. Nobody is in a hurry to save the world. You'd think they'd have a sense of urgency.

I would rather have seen a slightly less serious take. Ditch the leather and give them track suits, sorta like X-Factor wore over their spandex. They could have been colorful and distinctive. Wolverine could have stayed in his jeans and leather jacket.

The main problem (much like with the comics) is that they keep telling us mutants are persecuted and feared. But the reader and viewer loves them! We don't get the hysteria and they don't convey it. If someone detonated a bomb that would give you super powers, you'd run toward it, not away from it!

Where was Ian McKellen for his whole life? I swear it wasn't until like around "Gods and Monsters" that he really got noticed. I could have lived with them using Jurgen Prochnow (sp) as Magneto instead if it would have saved them a few bucks. And I'd rather have seen Sid Vicious as Sabertooth instead of Tyler Mane. Ideally it would be Nick Chinlund though. "The Chronicles of Riddick" kinda gave me that idea.

As far as comic book movies go, I'd rate my favorites as:

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Blade 2
3. Spider-Man
4. The Crow
5. Superman

I'd even rate the Punisher above the X-Men movie, as disjointed as it was it had some laughs (the fight with Kevin Nash and John Travolta's death scene) yet it also had one of the most brutal scenes I can think of (the slaughter of his whole family).

I'd love to see a good X-Men movie. It should have nonstop action, great special effects and a fast pace. Maybe the Wolverine spinoff will be better.

I predict "Superman Returns" will be a huge bomb. Singer is overrated.

A system of cells interlinked

Absolutely love X2. Yes, I also loved Morrison's run on New-X-men, so I like the darkness, the black costumes, the fractured lack of teamwork, and pretty much everything else about the second offering in the series. X-men darker than X2? Hogwash. The first film was a bit corny and spent too much time on lame exposition. They talked about dark issues, but there wasn't a madman experimenting on his own family in it, for instance, and I just don't see the darkness in it, I guess.

Singer expertly juggles a TON of characters, and while he does misplay here and there with a couple of them, he nails a majority of the interactions in my mind.

I must agree on the whimpy Wolvie, I am afraid, Singer must not care for the character.

Sleeze, if you are talking about the lame heavy handed "she might not come back" stuff in the trailer when you say you know where this is going, I totally agree.