Martyrofevil's top 100

→ in
Tools    

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Ok, everyones doing this so, I guess it's my turn. First off, this list is missing movies that probably should be on there like, The Godfather (haven't seen it yet) and The Big Lebowski (didn't finish because of retarded discs from blockbusters) and I'm sure there's other's I haven't seen yet. Also, I'm to lazy to post pictures so, just the top however many I feel will get pictures.

#100. 28 Days Later - This ones just a filler as are most of the ones at the bottom.

#99. Sweeney Todd -
Really good for a musical.

#98. Carlito's Way -
I don't know, it was good.

#97. Beetle Juice -
My favourite movie as a child.

#96. Saving Private Ryan -
That first battle scene...nice.

#95. Aliens
- All I remember is that this was one of the few action movies I dug.

#94. Mallrats -
All around funny.

#93. Hot Fuzz -
Action + Funny = Good?

#92. Cowboy Bebop: The Movie -
A bit better than the show.

#91. Alien -
The robot was sperming at the mouth. Ha!

90. American Psycho - Great concept...much better than the real Psycho.

89. Dogma - The only decent movie I've seen Matt Damon in...yet.

88. Hot Rod - I'm alone here aren't I?

87. Tetsuo: The Iron Man - Only the most screwed up film of all ever.

86. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon - A great idea that was executed well.

85. Cube - Good ol' Canuck Sci-fi.

84. Hellevator - Like the previous film but better, Asians do everything better.

83. Army of Darkness - Clatto Verata Ni(cough co-cough cough)

82. Shaun of the Dead - Hehehe...Zombies.

81. Monty Python and the Meaning of Life - I like the part with the clocks !

now I take a nap.

I like your Top 10 A LOT so gonna stick with your thread but just writing: "I don't know, it was good" -seems to undermine the nature of writing about your FAVOURITE films.

like I said, a lot of the bottom ones are fillers and ones I decided to throw in to actually get 100 movies

80. A Snake of June - Another bizzare, sexual tale from Shinya Tsukomoto (Tetsuo) with more giant metal penis!.

79. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Not usually my kind of movie but, I like time travel.

78. Welcome to the Quiet Room - Why do insane asylums make great locations for stories?

77. Speed Racer - Hell yeah! By far the most intense visual experience I've encountered.

76. The Toxic Avenger - Where to start, the intense humor, or the amazingly offensive gore?

75. Life of Brian - Classic Python, what else can I say?

74. From Dusk 'Till Dawn - Amazing movie...and then vampires.

73. Platoon - Probably the most actiony war movie I've seen....I don't know if that helps it or not.

72. Zebraman - Screw The Dark Knight, Zebraman is where it's at.

71. A Bittersweet Life - One of the few times I've enjoyed a gun fight in a film.

Welcome to the human race...
like I said, a lot of the bottom ones are fillers and ones I decided to throw in to actually get 100 movies
Kind of like what Pyro said, this really does undermine the whole idea of naming your 100 favourite movies if the bottom 50 or so are just filler to make up the number. I made that mistake with my list when I was fifteen.

If you can't think of 100 truly worthwhile films, maybe doing a top 100 isn't such a good idea. But ok, keep going, by all means.

70. The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe - Who couldn't love this film. The epitome of the "So bad it's good movie".

69. Grindhouse - One of the best theater experiences...all 3 times I saw it.

68. The Neighbor Number 13 - A nice little psycho/horror film.

67. The Silence of the Lambs - I think Hanibal Lecter is the best psycho in film today.

66. The Evil Dead II - Best in the series because it has both the horror of The Evil Dead and the comedy Army of Darkness.

65. Hair Extensions - A parody of new age J-horror movies. Some how stop-frame and live action was combined into one in this movie. I don't know how but it looks amazing.

64. Sukiyaki Western Django - Takashi Miike does a western... crazy.

63. The Shawshank Redemption - Usually not big on prison drama's but this is certainly an exception.

62. Princess Mononoke - A beautifully animated piece with a powerful message.

61. Three Extremes - 3 tales of horror from Takashi Miike, Park Chan-wook, and Fruit Chan. All very good and very different stories.

A system of cells interlinked
Much better than the real Psycho? You mean the Hitchcock film?

Although I love American Psycho, it is certainly NOT better than Psycho, not by a long shot. Completely different type of film, for one thing.

Also, Alfred Freakin' Hitchcock!!!

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Must agree! I mean Psycho is a stable in horror film making.

No rules about the length of such lists. You can do 100, 50, 10, or 72 for all we care. Best to do the largest number you can muster without settling for filler, I would say.

As for Psycho...I'd seen bits and pieces over the years (as is the case with most classics), but only sat down to watch it from beginning to end last November. Scared the crap out of me, despite its age and the fact that I had a good idea of what was going to happen at each turn.

Much better than the real Psycho? You mean the Hitchcock film?

Although I love American Psycho, it is certainly NOT better than Psycho, not by a long shot. Completely different type of film, for one thing.

Hey, have to disagree a bit there. Sure, Hitch and Psycho are far more iconic than American Psycho and technically (as in composition, not by argument) brilliant. While American Psycho may not stand up to them, as you say yourself- it's a completely different film so no reason why he can't find it better. Heck, i've got American Psycho on my list but got Psycho sat unwatched on my shelf for several years!

Anyway, Martyr- truly am liking your list, a lot of my favourites echoed and glad to see another Miike fan! I gave a run down of his films in my list (see sig), bit different so far to yours- almost in reverse so far lol. Giving me a few more films to seek out so in that respect your list has succeeded

Only problem is you reminded i forgot A Bittersweet Life in mine!

Here's a question though, what did you think of Tarantino in Sukiyaki Western Django?

Everyones seems disappointed in me not liking Psycho, I just thought that it didn't build enough suspense, like it would break the atmosphere right before it felt suspenseful. Maybe cause the ending was spoiled by pop culture spoofs I've seen. Although, Psycho did have one particularly good scene that I really enjoyed. Also Pyro Tramp, I really liked Tarantino's part in Sukiyaki Western Django, more so the opening scene. I knew from that scene that it was going to be a great movie.

60. Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem - Continues the story of the Daft Punk videos from their album "Discovery". Perfect for any DP fan.

59. Suicide Club - I hated this movie at first but, every time I watch it, it gets significantly better. Extremely great, combination of gore and psychological thrills.

58. Zatoichi - The Blind Swordsmen. This is a great movie because it's filmed just like the old samurai movies with the violence CG'd in. I know that sounds like it would be lousy but, it actually works extremely well.

57. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Everything about this movie is excellent, and most remarkable yet...at 3 hours it is still very entertaining and doesn't slow for a minute.

56. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - A very unique movie even though I saw Memento first, the backwards revealing of the story still seemed innovative and fresh. This movie is able to run through all your emotions through out it's course which is why it succeeds.

55. Dawn of the Dead - This one has it all, comedy, gore, social commentary and action. The message of this movie is clear and strong while not being overly in your face about it and still manages to be entertaining on all fronts.

54. True Romance - Very solid film, great story, characters, score, entertainment value. A great package.

53. Izo - A man who leaps through time killing people, very fun. Amazing visuals through out with lots of symbolism. Sweet combo of action and philosophical views.

52. Sin City - The stunning visuals make you feel one with the graphic novel. That, combined with a number of very entertaining stories and characters makes Sin City special.

51. Memento - This movie blew my mind. It's reversed story created something new and exciting and changed the "who", into the "why".

I just realized that I screwed this up and there will end up being 101 movies. So the best movie will actually #0

50. Natural Born Killers - A fairly avant-garde film. Perhaps this movie is more style than substance but, I liked the characters, story and the humor involved in it.

49. El Mariachi - I apologize because I haven't seen this movie in a long time so, I don't really have any specific elements to point out but, I do remember my immense enjoyment.

48. Once Upon a Time in the West - Definitely my favourite western. Great characters, scenarios and overall entertainment. The gun fight on the train is one of my favourite scene's ever.

47. The Usual Suspects - This movie is really good because of the contrast in characters and the overall plot development was nearly perfect.

46. Eyes Wide Shut - The dream-like atmosphere and the powerful score really makes this film stand out.

45. Futurama: Bender's Big Score - Maybe I'm alone here but, "Futurama" was one of the funniest and well executed films I've seen. Add that to the already lovable cast and you have cinematic DYNOMITE!

44. Lost Highway - I usually don't like David Lynch's movies because they never make enough sense. Lost Highway on the other hand makes enough sense to engage but still leaves you think after words and almost forces you to attempt to figure out it's mystery.

43. In Bruges - I haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a long time. The dialouge, characters, and setting all add to the humor perfectly. That plus, the story is even good so, this one has it all or at least close to it.

42. Pan's Labyrinth - One of the most imaginative movies in recent memory, Pan's Labyrinth has spectacular atmosphere and a very compelling story makes this one movie where monsters are actually cool and even a bit creepy.

41. Airplane! - The originator of "spoof-humor", Airplane! is simply brilliant in it's use of puns from, the "drinking problem" to Simon turning to jelly, this one is definitely a classic.

I just realized that I screwed this up and there will end up being 101 movies. So the best movie will actually #0
No problems

Never Rub Another Mans Rhubarb.
Great list so far. Theres some films there I'm gonna have to see. And I have to agree with not liking Psycho but then again I didnt like American Psycho either.

40. Fight Club - Excellent film with a twist that isn't to big to out do the rest of the movie.

39. Electroma - A very interesting little movie from Daft Punk. Electroma is about a city, maybe world of robots and 2 of which (Daft Punk) go on a quest to become human. This movie has no dialogue, no Daft Punk music and it was still an amazing piece of cinema. Extremely interesting scenery in this one as well.

38. Gozu - More Miike! Gozu is a strange combination of a slow-pace thriller, a yakuza film, and a black comedy plus, a touch of Miike's usual wierdness.

37. Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Most definitely the funniest comedy movie ever. Every single joke succeeds from the bridge to the holy hand grenade.

36. Ichi the Killer - Certainly a flawed movie but, it will always have a place in my heart. Ichi the Killer has some of the funniest, goriest scenes ever committed to film.

35. Reservoir Dogs - The movie that got me into cinema. Fantastic dialogue (no surprise), everything is good, it's just straight up Tarantino and that's more than enough for me.

34. Akira - Akira is a great story about post-apocalyptic Tokyo. The characters are all awesome which really makes the ending so much more intense. The animation is great even on todays standards. I just hope the American live-action remake is at least decent.

33. Save the Green Planet - This one is another "full-package" genre-bender. It has sci-fi, horror, comedy, romance and even a couple scenes reminiscent of the spaghetti western. Save the Green Planet is about a guy who believes that aliens are going to attack the Earth so he kidnaps this business man whom he suspects is an alien. The acting really surprised me in this one, it was fantastic, maybe some of the best I've seen.

32. Trainspotting - Another classic dramedy. The scene where Spud feces-covered sheets end up all over the breakfast table really cracked me up.

31. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - The first of Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy. SFMV is fairly complex for a vengeance film because of the way events effect all the seperate characters differently and how there isn't a clear-cut protagonist and antagonist. The strangest thing about this film is that there is almost no music in the entire movie. This adds a very eerie and slightly disturbing atmosphere.

30. Goodfellas - Very well shot film that entertained me all the way through. It's hard writing about the popular movies. Damn!

29. American History X - Very powerful movie with some truly disturbing scenes (e.g. the curb-stomp).

28. Snatch - Very funny movie. Brad Pitt was awesome in this movie, before this I didn't know he could act.

27. There Will Be Blood - Excellent movie! Daniel Day Lewis most definitely earned his Oscar for this film.

26. Dr. Strangelove - Absolutely hilarious political comedy. The guy riding the A-Bomb...one of the best things I've ever scene.

25. Full Metal Jacket - More Kubrick. My favourite war movie by far...The drill sargent is one of the funniest characters in a movie to date.

24. No Country for Old Men - This movie was at #2 for a long time but I eventually dropped it to here. NCfOM is a really shocking crime-thriller with effective twists and is just slightly left unexplained to keep it locked in your memories.

23. Paprika - Wildly imaginative anime film about dreams that is beautifully animated and features a great cast of characters.

22. Gangs of New York - Again Daniel Day Lewis truly makes the film. The opening fight scene is one of my favourites ever.

21. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - I really like movies about insane asylums. This movie has an amazing group of characters that really keeps the film alive.