A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I'm tempted to take a break from catching up on 2023 releases to jump into Christmas horror. Are any of the Krampus movies worth watching? I remember one in the Hall of Infamy called Krampus: The Christmas Devil that is apparently pretty terrible.
I like the 2015 Krampus too. Its a very good-looking movie to say the least and definitely worth a watch.

As for Carrie, I'm more interested in the consensus about the use of split-screen: enhancement or distraction that calls too much attention to itself? I tend towards the latter, especially
WARNING: spoilers below
when it's used during the prom massacre.
Still, a masterpiece that would be in a my top 5 De Palmas.
I don't remember how I felt about it the first time I watched it. But now that I know what's coming, that moment is one of the highlights for me. Gets me pumped when she gets that look on her face and the screen starts to shift, because I know it's about to go down.

Does Carrie have any split-screen before the prom? I'm thinking that's the first time it happens.

I don't remember how I felt about it the first time I watched it. But now that I know what's coming, that moment is one of the highlights for me. Gets me pumped when she gets that look on her face and the screen starts to shift, because I know it's about to go down.

Does Carrie have any split-screen before the prom? I'm thinking that's the first time it happens.

There's this one:

I like the use of split screen. It's a neat way of putting emphasis. I, most of all, love the kaleidoscope effect during the prom though. From the silence to that to her rage. It works so well.

MoH:

Deer Woman. A detective assigned to animal attack cases investigates a series of grisly murders. John Landis directed this and it canonically takes place in the same universe as An American Werewolf in London. I liked this one, it's pretty fun. It felt like an X-Files. Some of the banter falls flat but the humor lands for the most part. This is not my first encounter with Deer Woman. The excellent show Reservation Dogs has a minor subplot running throughout the entire series about her. But in that mythology she kills bad men as punishment for their sins while on MoH she seems to be murdering horny men more indiscriminately. Being just an ignorant white guy I don't know much about this myth outside of these media, but I'm assuming it's real folklore amongst indigenous people.
I'm watching it right now, and I agree with you about the X-Files vibe. Still enjoyable and it's VERY early 2000s feeling.

There's this one:

I like the use of split screen. It's a neat way of putting emphasis. I, most of all, love the kaleidoscope effect during the prom though. From the silence to that to her rage. It works so well.

That's not a split-screen shot. That's a split-diopter filter covering a single shot.

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
I recall liking Homecoming but it's kinda low tier Dante, I prefer The Screwfly Solution more. I did really enjoy Cigarette Burns. That's all I've seen from Masters of Horror.

I watched all the flicks I planed to see last month, reviews coming eventually. I thought Targets was great, found Cure to be good but frustrating and absolutely loved Little Shop of Horrors (1986).

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

Yes. Up until this moment the film shows a level of restraint and naturalism that we don't normally see in many DePalma films. That sudden move to split screen turns everything suddenly into horrible spectacle. It gets it to really overwhelm the viewer.

This is also a film that shows DePalma can do traditional drama pretty much as good as anyone. But that he also has this ace up his sleeve where he can use every gadget and cinematic trick in the book to bring us somewhere else. A place that is pretty much exclusively cinematic.

This is also a film that shows DePalma can do traditional drama pretty much as good as anyone. But that he also has this ace up his sleeve where he can use every gadget and cinematic trick in the book to bring us somewhere else. A place that is pretty much exclusively cinematic.
Right and I should also add that I have no problem with "showy" camera stuff and in fact seek it out. Restraint be damned!
So I don't deny that it might be distracting for some but I fully support it.

Carrie might be De Palma's finest hour...perhaps only Blow Out would disagree.

I'm tempted to take a break from catching up on 2023 releases to jump into Christmas horror. Are any of the Krampus movies worth watching? I remember one in the Hall of Infamy called Krampus: The Christmas Devil that is apparently pretty terrible.
Dunno about the Krampuses, but Santa's Slay is worth a shot if you haven't seen it yet.

‘Orphan 3’ – William Brent Bell is Actively Developing a Sequel
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...ping-a-sequel/

Victim of The Night
Well...

I stayed home and got high on a Friday night and somehow, out of the hundreds of movies in my various queues, decided to watch... The Wizard Of Oz.
And it's a Horror movie (!) because Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch Of The West may still be the best and most evil witch ever put to celluloid.
As for the rest of the movie?
So far it's fantastic.
I'll keep y'all posted.

Well...

I stayed home and got high on a Friday night and somehow, out of the hundreds of movies in my various queues, decided to watch... The Wizard Of Oz.
And it's a Horror movie (!) because Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch Of The West may still be the best and most evil witch ever put to celluloid.
As for the rest of the movie?
So far it's fantastic.
I'll keep y'all posted.
My parents love to tell me how much the flying monkies scared the shit out of them when they were kids.

I like the 2015 Krampus too. Its a very good-looking movie to say the least and definitely worth a watch.
The Krampus that was in theaters is definitely worth the watch. Dont watch anything straight to DVD.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
My parents love to tell me how much the flying monkies scared the shit out of them when they were kids.

My mom feels the same way. She also gets freaked out by the hourglass scene in the witch's castle.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Victim of The Night
Yeah, I actually just meant to watch the scene where she sends them out and they go and take Dorothy and Toto, because it's awesome, but I ended up watching the whole thing.

Victim of The Night
My mom feels the same way. She also gets freaked out by the hourglass scene in the witch's castle.
It's funny, I had forgotten about that and as soon as it happened I was like, "Man, that shit is horrifying." I mean, here's this 16 year-old girl locked in a room alone with an hour-glass that, when its sands run out, she dies.
It's a Horror movie.

I forgot the opening line.

BLADE - (1998)

I figure Blade counts as horror, because it's what Blade gets right. That first scene, in a nightclub that showers blood over it's patrons as the one terrified non-vampire is confronted with hundreds is pretty cool. The various limb lopping, burning and especially blood bursting moments give it that added horror sheen. You can't dismiss Udo Kier either (you can never dismiss Udo Kier.) I knew the film wouldn't be all that great, but for younger audiences the most important aspect would be it's coolness, and the film (not to mention Wesley Snipes) delivers on that front. For me, personally - well, I'm not crying out for more but I did recognize how much I'd have enjoyed this film when I was in my middle teens. The action and the horror (I'm not sure what I would have made of the middling CGI) would have been enough. Other than that it follows the comic book/superhero template. Blade (Snipes) is the hero, vampires the bad guys, Deacon Frost (Stephen Dorff) the boss - where Blade must stop his evil plans before they come to fruition at the end of the film.

Udo Kier? : YES +1

Jump Scare Meter : 0/10
Discomfort : 5/10
Art : 2/10
Weird : 6/10
Fun : 7/10
Interesting : 4/10
Enjoyable : 7/10
Exciting : 7/10

Overall : 6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I also hit Blade probably a decade to late to be totally swept up in it, but I did enjoy it. Like you say, the sheer amount of blood alone does some of the heavy lifting.