A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

And then, what, a month or so later, it was on Shudder's TV-channel thingy they do where (unlike any other streaming service I know) they just run movies they have streaming continuously on a sort of "channel". And it happened to be at the part I thought was the best part of the movie and I felt like I had to watch it again and before I knew it I found myself feeling like I should re-watch this at some point and come to a verdict.
Which I have not.

I am the only person I know who seems to like Summer of '84. I am starting to wonder how much encountering it in bits and pieces on Shudder's channel stream contributed to my enjoyment of the movie.

And thanks for your input on MoH @Takoma11. I’ll probably hold off until I’m more desperate for something to watch.
They're all on Tubi, so if you do watch them, we could do a watch-along. I haven't watched them since like 2007.

A friend is visiting one of my old stomping grounds, so I suggested that he might check out an old theater I used to frequent.

So anyway, that's how he and his sister are now watching MESSIAH OF EVIL on the big screen, and yes I am VERY JEALOUS.

The day I looked up their calendar they were doing a double feature of Possessor and Seconds and I physically felt the pull of wanting to live there again.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer

Imagine my disappointment when I logged in to find no one discussing Mini-Kong. You have all let me down.

So who's the Big Bad in this one?

And why is there a Transformer hand?

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I honestly remember very little about the previous film(s) so I'm not really clear on what the story is anymore.
I only know that the introduction of monster babies is ALWAYS a sign of a quality film.

From what I see in the trailer some sort of gorilla villain and possibly his gorilla army.

While we’re on the topic of the big G, I saw Godzilla Minus One last week and it’s great. It’s like Jaws meets Dunkirk.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
From what I see in the trailer some sort of gorilla villain and possibly his gorilla army.

While we’re on the topic of the big G, I saw Godzilla Minus One last week and it’s great. It’s like Jaws meets Dunkirk.

I've heard good things about it - I'm going to try to catch it this weekend.

More than meets the eye in that shot.

Victim of The Night
A friend is visiting one of my old stomping grounds, so I suggested that he might check out an old theater I used to frequent.

So anyway, that's how he and his sister are now watching MESSIAH OF EVIL on the big screen, and yes I am VERY JEALOUS.

No One Will Save You -

This is pretty good sci-fi horror that could be described as a movie of few words. Brynn (Dever) has no opportunities to use words anyway since her small town ostracized her. Exiled to her old, beautiful, perfect setpiece for horror house - think the one in The House of the Devil - she wiles away the days learning dance moves and bringing the town to herself by collecting model houses. One night, visitors not from this world pay her and everyone else in town a visit. We soon discover if Brynn can survive the invasion without anyone's help as well as why nobody wants to help her.

If you've ever wondered how it feels to be cancelled, have I got a movie for you. In addition to how soul-crushing the experience must be - the opening scene where Brynn practices smiling and waving in front of a mirror says it all - you get a real sense of what it's like to hesitate about even asking the police for help. Dever is so talented that she doesn't need words to express Brynn's loneliness, or for that matter, the terror of being stalked by some pretty scary-looking extraterrestrials. Speaking of the aliens, you likely have seen ones resembling them - think the cover of Whitley Streiber's Communion - but why mess with success? Besides, the special effects team added creativity and cringe where they could, especially in how they move and communicate. On top of that, their master plan is scarier than just wiping out everybody. As good as Dever is and how timely writer/director Brian Duffield and company make this material, it's not nearly as good as what obviously inspired it. There are also some moments that seem like filler as if there were a production requirement for it to last 90 minutes. I still had a good, scary time overall, and regardless of your thoughts about cancel culture, it's bound to give you a whole new perspective on it and make you think twice about it.

The day I looked up their calendar they were doing a double feature of Possessor and Seconds and I physically felt the pull of wanting to live there again.

That seems like the appropriate response.

I don't have any particular interest in seeing Messiah of Evil on the big screen, because, you know, people. But I'm just glad it is slowly becoming an established classic and not some forgotten bit of celluloid you have to dig for ages to find a proper copy of. Rightfully deserved and about ****ing time.

Soon it seems all the movies I've been in love with for ages, and won't shut up about, will become part of the canon, which has always been the masterplan.

I am patient, if nothing else.

And so I guess that leaves another ten years for Night Train to Terror and Hallucinations to start making their move towards the mainstream (because then we will know a real Lovecraftian apocalypse has befallen us and I can finally put my feet up and stop writing about this shit once and for all)

I KNOW!

I KNOW!!!!!!

I don't have any particular interest in seeing Messiah of Evil on the big screen, because, you know, people.
This theater always had a pretty movie-loving crowd. I saw Seven Samurai there, as well as The Dark Crystal and Top Hat. People go because they really want to see the films, so you don't get much "people being people" stuff.

No One Will Save You -

regardless of your thoughts about cancel culture, it's bound to give you a whole new perspective on it and make you think twice about it.
I guess. Although she did
WARNING: spoilers below
murder someone, you know? Hitting someone in the head with a rock isn't just some "oops I was mad" thing.

Her persisting in wanting to live in the town ultimately didn't wash for me.

Her having the hallucination about Maude still being alive was interesting, and there could have been an interesting theme of forgiveness, but it doesn't really invest in it all that much.

I did really like the general concept of someone who would actually benefit from an alien invasion. I mean, she's just gone from one kind of massive "group think" to another. Like, everyone around her has lost their agency and their souls and their bodies, and she gets to do little dance numbers? Just because people in one small town were mean to her?

The further I get from the movie the more I do think it's a horrific ending, but I also have less and less sympathy for the main character.

I guess. Although she did
murder someone, you know? Hitting someone in the head with a rock isn't just some "oops I was mad" thing.

Her persisting in wanting to live in the town ultimately didn't wash for me.

Her having the hallucination about Maude still being alive was interesting, and there could have been an interesting theme of forgiveness, but it doesn't really invest in it all that much.

I did really like the general concept of someone who would actually benefit from an alien invasion. I mean, she's just gone from one kind of massive "group think" to another. Like, everyone around her has lost their agency and their souls and their bodies, and she gets to do little dance numbers? Just because people in one small town were mean to her?

The further I get from the movie the more I do think it's a horrific ending, but I also have less and less sympathy for the main character.
I guess I should have mentioned that I'm going by my headcanon that she was tried as a minor and served all her time already I also don't have sympathy for Brynne and believe she's an anti-hero, but I detected a message that regardless of the severity of the crime, if you're cancelled for it, it's a life sentence.

As for why she's still in the same town? My guess is that she inherited the house and is also living off inheritance. The real estate market must be as bad in the movie as it is now because I'd also sell it and get the heck outta there!

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm going by my headcanon that she was tried as a minor and served all her time already I also don't have sympathy for Brynne and believe she's an anti-hero, but I detected a message that regardless of the severity of the crime, if you're cancelled for it, it's a life sentence.
Even if you assume that
she served some time for the murder, she's still walking around, alive, serving as a constant reminder to the dead girl's family.

Like, I deeply understand the tragedy of being marked, but also . . .

As for why she's still in the same town? My guess is that she inherited the house and is also living off inheritance. The real estate market must be as bad in the movie as it is now because I'd also sell it and get the heck outta there!
Her living in the same town is clearly 99.5% of her problem! The world doesn't hate her, this one particular town hates her.

I'm sure she has sentimental attachment to the house and the town where she grew up. But she has literally no connections. No one here supports her. And she is haunted by her past.

It would be different if there was some sense that she was trying to make amends, rebuild bridges, or even that she was intentionally punishing herself by subjecting herself to the town's hatred.

I agree that the ideas are interesting, or at least the kernels of what could be really interesting. I wish that just a little more thought had been given to the construction of the character and her relationship to the town. As it stands, this is a woman living as a pariah in a community that hates her . . . . because the script requires it.

For example, the creepiest part of the movie, for me, was the possessed guy who was stalking her through the town. And he wasn't at all related to the whole pariah drama.

I definitely enjoyed the movie, but I think I sound mad when I talk about it because there are so many plot and character issues (I'm not saying plot holes, because that's a different type of problem) that detract from the film. I think that the framing of her situation undercuts the portrayal of being an exile in your own community.

And, ironically,
she is kind of a monster! Shes perfectly willing to overlook the absolute devastation of her community (including the people who probably didn't interact or care about her one way or the other!) because it means she can "belong" again. She looks utterly untroubled at the end.

Turns out the community was right! She's awful!

Chytilova's Wolf's Hole isn't a bad movie to watch this time of year given its snow. (currently on the criterion channel. I found it in their arthouse horror collection)

I did think there was something about the acting that did take away from the film, but the tone/soundscape was great.

Chytilova's Wolf's Hole isn't a bad movie to watch this time of year given its snow. (currently on the criterion channel. I found it in their arthouse horror collection)

I did think there was something about the acting that did take away from the film, but the tone/soundscape was great.
I really loved it. I hear what you're saying about the acting, but for me it kind of added to the off-vibe.