The Ring

→ in
Tools    

Just Got back from watching The Ring, As I have not seen the original yet, but plan too soon, I can not compare the two, But I must say for the Remake, I really enjoyed it, a very creepy movie, it had me on the edge of my seat all the way through, I encourage all of you that want a fright to watch this film as it is full strange and disturbing things.

Okay ive never seen this, from all the topics, i wouldnt mind knowing what this all was about.

Is this a film out only in america?

Get off my island
The Ring is a film made out east. It is not yet released in UK, I don't think, but there have been adverts in the papers. That's all I know.

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

Oh right yeah thanx alot, that helps lol i thought when i looked at this topic that it was about LODR :P

Get off my island
So did I as it happens

I've seen the Japanese original ("ringu")a few years back, but the original was not too impressive, and I didn't remember too much of it. Comparing it to the remake, I do like this remake a lot more. Not only did they use special effects much better, but I also liked the photography in the film. There are just a lot of cool random scenes, and they all contribute to this very eerie atmosphere.

Strongly recommend seeing it with someone, watching it alone would be a bit scary.

Get off my island
I'm not normally a horror movie visitor. What would you say to me to convince me this movie was one for me?

I've seen... the Trailer! yah for me.

I've yet to see either version of this movie, but i thought i'd share a fun fact with you. While i was in San Diego back in July they had boxes of tapes just thrown ALL over the place (around the convention center) I supose their gimick was that you take the tape home watch it, and go 'oooo'.

The ironic thing was that me and my group had just seen the trailer for the first time the night before. So when we saw the tapes we joked around about the content (it being 'The Ring' Movie) I didn't find out that it was the actual trailer untill i got back home. lol.

Get off my island
That's handy. Wish they'd do that with every film.

i just saw the original again, they were showing it at a local university theater.

if you haven't seen either, i would recommend seeing the remake (American) version first, then watch the Japanese original that will probably provide you with more background info.

If you are horror movie fan... my recommendation is *not* to see this movie! I am usually okay with "horror" films, such as "Scream" and "Friday the 13th". but I have never seen anything like this! There aren't a lot of scenes where you are jumping off your seats, rather, it's the overall atmosphere (thanks to its excellent photography) and the story line.

Sure, there are a few scenes that are really scary (visually), and those images will haunt you for days... (7 days perhaps? laugh)

am i the only one who thought this movie sucked a$$ worse then an overpaid prostitute?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK
am i the only one who thought this movie sucked a$$ worse then an overpaid prostitute?
Are you talking about the japanese or the american "Ring"?

I have only seen the original version (the japanese one) and I think it's one of the best horror pics I have ever seen. I've seen the trailer for the american one and I would like to see that one too even if I doubt it will be as good as the original.

If you prefer horror films that build up an athmosphere and a creepiness that peaks in the ending, like for example "Blair Witch Project", this is a film for you.

It is NOT a horror/slasher film like "Scream", "Friday the 13th" or "Halloween" etc., which are more about shock and comedy to me.

I think the ending in "Ring" (japanese version still) is something of the creepiest sh*t I have ever seen. Brilliant to say the least, if you ask me.

am referring to the american version.
On advice from Logan I bought the Japanese version and it is way better.

Going on how good the older one was I PAID MONEY (which if you know me at all, you would know that is something I NEVER do) to see the new one. I was so mad when I left the theatre.

anyhoo...
Just my 2 cents... well.. maybe 3 cents but who's counting.

and JRS
I hate to say this but ....maybe so.
you know if I didnt know you better I MIGHT think you were a smart a$$.

The japanese original RINGU (9/10), contains oodles more style and substance than the fluffy US teen horror remake RING 6.5/10.

Although certainly not as bad as some recent remakes of foreign gems (Vanilla Sky6/10 - Open Your Eyes (9/10) this one just doesnt hold a candle to its inspiration.

If they could have got Darren Aronofsky to direct this could have been and interesting and innovative reworking. Anyway if you dug the japanese original check out the sequels RING 2(8/10) and RING O(8/10) both further the Ring legend and RING 0 is a prequel that tells of its origins.

PS if you want another good japanese scare check out AUDITION(9/10) and for a great thrill ride grab BATTLE ROYALE (9/10) because Im sure some grubby US production will snip up the rights to these gems sooner or later too

This movie is very, very chilling.... like ice moving slowly down your back.... but it's not scary, and eventually, the ice just becomes uncomfortable and annoying until it melts.

And then, sometimes, the ice reforms itself (oooooooohhhh) and starts crawling back up your back.

I loved, loved, loved all of the surrealism in the movie, but, the movie itself is not surreal and by the end it could be classified under several things. I don't wanna say anything cause I don't wanna spoil the movie.

It felt like a video game.... like a video game within a video game. Woman finds video, woman plays video, woman runs off to find the secrets of the video, woman brings her family into this whole game, woman and husband go off to beat the game, etc, etc.... picture it:

The Ring 2: Supernatural Mario Brothers

Mario and Luigi discover a video game that kills you seven days after you play it. Mama mia!

That's all for now....

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Deckard
PS if you want another good japanese scare check out AUDITION(9/10) and for a great thrill ride grab BATTLE ROYALE (9/10) because Im sure some grubby US production will snip up the rights to these gems sooner or later too
I think it's a trailer of "Audition" on my "Ring" VHS. It looks creepy and good. I have to see it sometime.

I saw "Battle Royale" about a month ago and I thought it was good. Maybe not as shocking as some journalists had made it to be. But it's absolutely something else... There someting sadistic about japanese movies that american remakes never can recreate. I think Japan is one of the most exciting "film-countries".

I think the fact that Hollywood is making so many remakes and films about comics and so on pretty much tells us what state the business is in.

Very good movie, acting was good, the plot didnt drag along, and, it was pretty spookey. I'm not usually the guy who gets scared, I've seen alot of movies and seen alot on the net and heard alot, so not that much scares me. But i'll tell you this, when I was driving home from the theater, a porch light turned on and scared the crap out of me and I almost went off the road because I was so tense.