How many times did you go to the movie theatre this year?

Tools    

How many times did you go to the movie theatre this year?

I went 12 times:
(in chronological order)

M3GAN
Knock at the Cabin
Scream VI
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
The Little Mermaid
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
No Hard Feelings
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Asteroid City
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Killers of the Flower Moon

15 for me. Feels light, but so much coming to streaming so quickly now.

Creed 3
The Covenant
Guardians 3- my last MCU in theatre? Possibly
Across The Spiderverse
Asteroid City
Mission Impossible
Barbie
Oppenheimer 2x
Shining- Drive-in where I grew up. Super awesome
The Creator
Killers Of The Flower Moon
Next Goal Wins
The Holdovers
Napoleon

0, zero, nada, ziltch,

you get my drift.
If you don't mind me asking, were you intentionally avoiding going to the theatre or were there just no new movies that interested you?

Cocaine Bear
Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret
You Hurt My Feelings
The Flash
Asteroid City
No Hard Feelings
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Strays
Flora & Son
Stop Making Sense
Killers of the Flower Moon
The Killer
The Holdovers
Next Goal Wins
Saltburn

Still nowhere near my pre-COVID levels, but that was also before I was in my current band, which takes up most of my weekends and lessens my potential viewing times.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Four.

The Pope's Exorcist
Beau Is Afraid
Barbie
Napoleon

This year was the first year that I have gone to the theater at all since 2019. There were a few others that I wanted to go see, but didn't for various reasons.

Looks like I am at 7 for the year

If you don't mind me asking, were you intentionally avoiding going to the theatre or are there just no movies that ever interest you?
Changed that wording for Allaby who may not be used to HK’s schtick yet.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Is that unusual for you or do you typically not go to the theatre?
I don't go to theaters anymore. I haven't been to a theater since 2008. Too expensive. Too crowded. Too much work. I don't even know if they sell tickets in the theaters anymore. Everything is done online. I watch everything streaming or on discs.

Four.

The Pope's Exorcist
Beau Is Afraid
Barbie
Napoleon
Does the industry still not realize that Miss Vicky could almost single-handedly bring back gigantic box office returns if they'd simply put Joaquin Phoenix in seven or eight flicks a year?

I don't go to theaters anymore. I haven't been to a theater since 2008. Too expensive. Too crowded. Too much work. I don't even know if they sell tickets in the theaters anymore. Everything is done online. I watch everything streaming or on discs.
I guess it’s expensive compared to staying home, but compared to going out and doing anything else it’s much cheaper. Chatt has a downtown theatre where it would literally cost me more to park my car and just walk around then to get a movie ticket and have them validate.

Five for me:

The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1
Barbie
The Last Voyage of the Demeter

Favorite: Dungeons & Dragons. Fun, funny, and it has the added joy of Hollywood taking a chance with the franchise and that it paid off (I know there's a 2000 movie, but it sounds like the less said about that one, the better).
Most glad I saw in a theater: Mission: Impossible. It seems like it was made to be seen in one.

My moviegoing ratio has been a bit rollercoaster-y during the last 10-15 years. There was a 5 or so year gap from 2010-ish to 2015 I guess? where I didn't even go, and then I started going only for big blockbuster-y stuff like the Star Wars films or the last two Avengers films. Then COVID came and I stopped going at all. The last times I've gone has been for the kids, so all I've seen this year is pretty much animated stuff...

July - Elemental
September - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
November - PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie

A few more subcategories for anyone who's interested:

Movies I wish I could have seen in theaters: Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon. The 3+ hour running times don't work for me logistically and physically (sitting still for even a 2 hour movie makes me drowsy no matter how good it is).

Movie I could have seen for free, but didn't: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. I won a free ticket for eating at Applebee's, but had no inclination to redeem it. While I love the first three dearly, I couldn't care less about this one.

Movie I hope to see in a theater: The Boy and the Heron