Movie Tab II

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I have a soft spot for Lord of Illusions, as well. I was a massive Barker fan at the time, having just read both Imajica (STELLAR...just SO good) and The Great and Secret Show (Also great, if not as epic). Lord of Illusions is clearly uneven, but I liked the premise and several very memorable sequences.

I'm currently reading Weave World. A while back my girlfriend gave me a copy of Cabal which includes the story Lord of Illusions was based on (though I haven't read it yet), I think she's read most of his books.

I liked Weave World for the most part...but I can't put it on the same level as Imajica nor The Great and Secret Show. If you are sawing through his stuff, I would recommend Imajica next, for sure.

Thanks for the recommendations. I like Weave World so far, though I'm only about 50 pages in. Don't know if I'm going to plow through everything right away but I'll probably read more. I was thinking of trying something a little less fantasy-ish for the next one, and I also tend to prefer novels over short stories. I've had a couple good recommendations for both Imagica and The Great and Secret Show now (including Used Future's) so I'll check them out sooner or later. Do either of them fit my criteria?

Imajica is straight up demonic, dimension shifting, fantasy. I tend to think it's the best book of its kind, though. Secret societies, amazing characters (a ton of them), and absolutely mind-bending scenarios and descriptive writing.

The Great and Secret Show is...less so, but it's still fantasy for the most part. However, Weave World is the most fantasy-ish book of his that I have read.

> I did not expect to like Lord of Illusions that much; I'm not aware of its reputation but I saw it when it came out and pretty much wrote it off as a typical cheesy horror film. I imagine a lot of people were put off by its immediately-dated cgi (there's some computer animation that looks like it came out of the original Quake video game), hodgepodge of borrowed story elements and mostly b-list actors. All of these weaknesses turned to strengths for me though, given that the central conceit of the story is that it's about seedy magicians, some of whom hide real demonic sorcery behind second-rate theatrics (don't worry, that's not a spoiler); and when it needs to, it pulls out some wonderfully creepy practical effects magic. If the plotting was tighter I might like it as much as The Prestige but as is it's still a fine film, and I'm now reading some of Clive Barker's fiction because of it.
Second rate cheesy horror fits my criteria, and the thing that I normally admire the most about Clive Barker is his imagination. I'll try to get around to watching this soon, and jot down my thoughts.
> I don't grudge anyone liking Ghost in the Shell, but I've never been able to find in it any of the supposed plot or philosophical or cinematic value that its fans do. I've ragged on it enough in my review though. What do you like about its plot? The best things about it for me are the atmospheric images of a grimy, alternative-universe Hong Kong (even though all the characters are Japanese, all the signs and billboards are in Chinese).
I feel that Ghost in the Shell was the first good film to truly exemplify the Gibson-esque style of the cyberpunk sub-genre. Sort of ironic considering that I'm not that big a fan of Gibson's writing, but when his style is done well on film (not the Johnny Mnemonic way), I always find myself enjoying it. Plot's involving futuristic advancement in technology typically interest me, and GITS's take on the futuristic hacker film fascinated me.

For more GITS, without the philosophical overtones, you could try the 'Stand Alone Complex' series, though I don't think it matches the quality of the first film.
> On the other hand I do like the anime Metropolis, warts and incomprehensible characters and all. I even went and stayed with some friends in New York when it opened so I could watch it on the big screen. Have you seen Steamboy?
Haven't seen Steamboy, but I remember being interested in vintage sci-fi a long time ago, which sparked my interest in the deviated steampunk genre. Steampunk cinema doesn't seem to have too many notable contributions though.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - You know what? I don't hate this movie. I actually really enjoyed it. I offer no apologies.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the human race...
Coming up on three months since I last posted in this thread - in no particular order (the ones I can remember, anyway):

True Grit (2010)

Black Swan

The Living Daylights

Dr. No

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Diamonds Are Forever

Thunderball

You Only Live Twice

Platoon

Moonraker

My Neighbour Totoro

3/5 for Totoro...

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Over the week there I've watched -

Jaws (first viewing, sort of) - I'm saying sort of because it's the first time I've actually sat down and watched it from start to finish. Caught parts of it on TV loads of times and when added up I'm sure I had seen all of it.

Anyway onto the film. While I perhaps don't love it quite as much as others on here it is a very good film, mixing action and suspense wonderfully. The performances of the three main actors are all excellent as well, especially when they are actually out on the boat and begin to bond against the threat of death that surrongs them.

The first half is decent but it's when they get out on the boat and it turns into a three hander that it really goes up a few levels in terms of quality and excitement. And from the moment they realise that the shark is actually hunting them it is a wonderful edge of the seat ride through to the end.

One of the biggest blockbusters of all time gets an 8.75/10

La Antena (first viewing) - Wow this Argentine film has to be one of the oddest films I've ever seen. In fact if I had just guessed at the plot beforehand I could probably have come up with a better summary than I can after seeing it.

To look at the film is quite stunning. As a mostly silent film great importance is given to the striking black and white images and the many graphic tricks it has up its sleeve. It's main inspiration clearly seems to be Metropolis, perhaps with an added little bit of Tim Burton-esque quirkiness.

The plot isn't anything special but then that's not what this film is about and won't be the reason for anyone seeing it.

I'm not actually sure what rating to give this film it's got me so baffled. I would switch every few minutes between finding it pretentious and annoying to then just being brainwashed by the striking imagery.

So for now I'm actually going to leave it unrated as I really don't know what to award it. Empire awarded it 5 stars, The Independent 1 star. And I can totally understand both of those views

Little Big Man (first viewing) - This is a very curious film, like no Western I've ever seen before.

It reminded me of films like Forrest Gump and North in that it tells the tale of one man's incredible and fantastical life, a film where you feel it may be revealed at any time to be a fantasy or fable. It's a very sad and touching movie at times but is also wildly funny

The film's great strength without doubt is Dustin Hoffman's wonderful performance, charting the character's life from a teen through to old age.

All in all this is a film I can definitely see myself revisiting frequently. It's a very engrossing and moving film. 9/10

Oh and thanks go to mark f for making me aware of this film by championing it on his 100 films list

I love how Meaty doesn't even rate Braindead... I hated that film....
Wait, can you really not see the rating ?

Originally Posted by Planet News
Totoro 3 out of 5 !!?!?!?! I HATE YOU !!!!
It's supposed to be a 3.5

I got a bigger resolution, so I can see how it looks messed up. I'll fix it up.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just thinking and I feel bad for only mentioning Dustin Hoffman in my mini review of Little Big Man. While he is the star of the show great performances also come from Chief Dan George as his grandfather, and Richard Mulligan as a gloriously madcap General Custer

Out of interest has anyone else seen La Antena? Would be curious to see what others thought