Movie Tab II

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke - A midnight movie classic with lots of totally offensive and irresponsible, yet completely hilarous jokes and characters. If this were made now, the filmmakers would try to show how "clever" they are while making a stoner film (looking at you, Jay and Silent Bob and Harold and Kumar), but Cheech and Chong were totally content to portray themselves as total dumbasses. Kinda brilliant in it's stupidity.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Wendy and Lucy
What a depressing movie. Michelle Williams, Lucy the dog.

The Fighter

I just don't know. Christian Bale deserves his supporting actor nod for sure. Everyone else was solid. There was just something missing. The drama was just short of dramatic. The inspiration was just short of inspirational. I just don't know what O. Russell missed with this one.

The Oxford Murders (Álex de la Iglesia , 2008) Somewhat goofy execution of an academic murder plot involving mathematical logicians. The mystery itself is very good though, the twists.

Foreign Correspondent (Hitchcock, 1940) Pre-WWII political thriller with some impressive set-pieces and camera work and a convoluted plot.

The Philadelphia Story (Cukor, 1940) Decent star vehicle with mild satire of classism, celebrity and the press. There are some clever lines and a hilarious parting shot but the main draw of this will probably be the celebrity personalities in the movie. The one I'm most sold on out of this lot is Cary Grant but Hepburn has a few good moments here as well.
-
The Secret in Their Eyes (Juan José Campanella, 2009) Very impressive Nabokovian romance/mystery. Highly recommended.

Beauty and the Beast (Cocteau, 1946)

The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl (Ray Müller, 1993)

The Black Cat (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1934)

Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009)

Jack Goes Boating

If anything, I am now confident that Hoffman can direct. I would LOVE to see him direct an original, that would be something incredible. Overall, Jack Goes Boating wasn't anything special - but damn if there weren't some absolutely great moments spread throughout. One thing Hoffman was able to do is develop a unique group of characters and, together with solid performances from the actors, make them all completely believable. I look forward to another PSH directing effort.

Army of Shadows (1969) -

Very good Melville pic. The first hour or so dragged a bit for me, but I loved it otherwise. I especially loved the darkly bleak color scheme throughout most of the picture. The scenes on the mountain are some of the best (visually) I've ever seen. Couple that with a riveting second half, and I enjoyed it very much.
The Ghost Writer (2010)
-

True Grit (2010) -
+
Quite good, and definitely a step over its predecessor in my eyes.

... and a few re-watches of personal favorites:
Beetlejuice (1988) -
+
Chinatown (1974) -
+
The Conversation (1974) -

Frankenstein (1931) -

The Haunting (1963) -
-
The Night of the Hunter (1955) -

Still my favorite film at this point. Would be a perfect score if it weren't for the ending, which does seem rushed.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
The Host
Joon-ho Bong, (2006)

True Grit
Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, 2010

Dogtooth
Giorgos Lanthimos, 2009

Somerstown
Cate Shortland, 2004

Fish Tank
Andrea Arnold, 2009

Black Swan
Darren Aronofsky, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
David Yates, 2010

The Fisher King
Terry Gilliam, 1991

Dream Lover (1986)

Kristy McNichol
Ben Masters
Paul Shenar
Justin Deas
John McMartin
Gayle Hunnicutt
Joseph Culp
Matthew Penn
Paul West
Matthew Long
Jon Polito

This movie makes me want to look a lot more into my own sleeping disorders, and also see what all they said here that is true.

I do wish I understood more about the situation with her mother. That, and if she at all blamed her father for what had happened.

The men in this movie were confusing in a freaky sort of way. I even had doubts about her father. Maybe I was reading too much into that, and worrying more than I was suppose to, but he seemed very weird. The only one I trusted was the dream guy. Which is why I didn't trust him.

No wonder I can't sleep.

The Road (2009)

A morose, thought-inducing post-apocalyptic film about desperation and the eventuel loss of hope. Don't know why the studio marketed it as something else entirely. The trailer looks like a classier version of Resident Evil to me, but without zombies. I think it's a good film, just not what I expected.

+

&feature=player_embedded

Stone (2010)

A dreary, slow pile of crap posing as a thoughtful thriller. Very implausible plot loaded with heavy yet meaningless symbolic. I have to say, I've given up on Robert DeNiro. It's like he checked out a decade ago and is just punching his card now.

Citizen X (1995)

Solid thriller about a Russian serial killer. Very good focus on the detective work and the work that went into catching the killer. It also shows how the communist system actually causes the investigation more trouble than the serial killer it's trying to catch. Good part by Stephen Rea, supported by Sutherland and Demunn.

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (2009)

Well, this is better than anything Gilliam has done in a long while (Brothers Grimm and Tideland were pretty bad), but still not nearly as good as Time Bandits or Twelve Monkeys. I don't know about Terry Gilliam. I think, like Lynch, he is more a visual artist than a director, but Gilliam seems unable or unwilling to control his wild impulses. Making movies is probably great fun for him, but sometimes I think he doesn't care at all for his audience. It's like as long as he thinks the film is satisfying, then all is well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had a friend visiting just after New Year's, and besides listening to dozens of my old vinyl, I showed him several movies which he claims to have never even heard of. Now, this friend Nick, the son of one of my best friends, is 21, so it doesn't really surprise me that much. Whenever he visits, we watch movies he's never seen, but I think this was the first time that he hadn't even heard of any of them. These are what we watched while he was here:

Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment (Karel Reisz, 1966)

A one-of-a-kind film about a free-spirited Marxist artist (the great David Warner) who identifies more with wild animals than he does the wildest of them all, humans. The film uses some unique editing in telling its mostly humorous story set in London during the Swingin' Sixties when Morgan tries to woo back his ex-wife (Vanessa Redgrave) using various anarchistic techniques. This is also noteworthy for some interesting flashes of surrealism, especially near the ending when Morgan feels as if Stalin might be coming after him with his own personalized ice pick. I can understand how some people might just find the different themes too jumbled to have a powerful meaning, but I've always loved it and have seen it about a dozen times now.

Joe (John G. Avildsen, 1970)

Peter Boyle is tremendous in this powerful film filled with hilarious dark humor. There's certainly nothing subtle about it but it's very successful at making its point while being thoroughly entertaining and disturbing at the same time. Don't let the low budget, occasional cliche or obvious line of dialogue distract you from how solid 98% of this thing is. My friend Nick said after it was over, "They should make more movies like that now."

The Wanderers (Philip Kaufman, 1979)

Wonderful period gang flick full of hilarity, action, sex, suspense, violent surrealism, race relations and many other things. It's also about the dawning of a new era which you will understand about when it gets near its ending. Besides being wonderfully crafted and having a great soundtrack, The Wanderers is just "out there" in its plot and presentation, whether it's dealing with the Bowling Alley Godfather, the seemingly spectral, horror movie-influenced Ducky Boys (who almost seem like they should have been in Kaufman's previous movie, The Invasion of the Body Snatchers) or the way racism and sexism seem rampant but can be overcome. I love this film.

Play It Again, Sam (Herbert Ross, 1972)

Charming Woody Allen film, based on his play, about a loser movie critic who uses Humphrey Bogart (Jerry Lacy) as inspiration in his pathetic attempts at scoring with women. His best friends, a married couple (Tony Roberts and Diane Keaton), try to help him get over his divorce from free-spirited Susan Anspach, but it turns out that who he really wants is his best friend's wife. Diane Keaton really shines in what may actually be her sweetest performance, and Woody is perfection self-destructing every time he goes on a date. Set in San Francisco (!), this is probably Woody's most-romantic flick and the one where classic film lovers can get into all the Bogart references. In fact, it may be the Woody Allen film for people who don't like him. How much Herbert Ross may be responsible for this is unclear but it's probably something, although Woody certainly doesn't seem diluted one ounce.

Night and Fog (Alain Resnais, 1955)

Shattering depiction of what life and death at a Nazi concentration camp were like during WWII using both B&W films shot by the Nazis and the Allies when they "liberated" the camps and color film of what they looked like 10 years later. This 31-minute film is a textbook example of documentary filmmaking with a purpose, and although most of it is very low-key, it builds to a powerful conclusion and then makes its most audacious twist by basically indicting the French's occupation in Algeria in such a way that it compares them to the Nazis. Nick said that he had just watched The Shawshank Redemption for the first time before arriving, and we both agreed it's an excellent film, but then he said after watching this that Shawshank didn't seem quite as strong anymore.

The Town (Ben Affleck, 2010)

Solid film about buddies who commit heists at a bank, an armored car and their beloved Fenway Park in and around Boston. The Town seems reminiscent of some other films and contains a few plot devices (the romance, the fact that they keep working with the FBI still watching them) which seem somewhat implausible, but the rest of the film is so true and believable that you basically just go with the flow. I don't have that much else to say, except that I think this film is on the bubble for a Best Picture Oscar nomination, and it wouldn't surprise me if it gets it. Nick had obviously heard of this one, and he said it was pretty good but the weakest of the ones we watched, and I agree.

I also watched:

Charade (Stanley Donen, 1963)
++ - Hitchcock homage is very good if slightly overlong.
Tom Dick and Harry (Garson Kanin, 1941)
- Probably Kanin's best film, this has hilarious dream sequences where Ginger Rogers dreams what marriage would be like with her three suitors.
Johnny Belinda (Jean Negulesco, 1948)
- Certainly Negulesco's best film with an authentic atmosphere and a low-key approach to a melodramatic situation.
Man on the Moon (Milos Forman, 1999)
- Terrific Andy Kaufman biopic is a major mindfvck.
The Front (Martin Ritt, 1976)
- Another Allen flick where he works for another director, this time blacklisted Martin Ritt. It's all about the '50s blacklists and writers having to use fronts to get by. Zero Mostel is particularly affecting, and Woody has one of filmdom's greatest closing lines. You also have to love the Chairman of the Board on the soundtrack.
Them! (Gordon Douglas, 1954)
- Striking opening titles and some good scenes underground with the giant ants, but I think it's overlong.
Just the Ticket (Richard Wenk, 1999)
- Likable film about ticket scalper Andy Garcia is just a bit too underdeveloped to fully win you over.
Crime in the Streets (Donald Siegel, 1956)
- The same year that Siegel made Invasion of the Body Snatchers, he made this incredibly phony take on juvenile delinquency with John Cassavetes in the lead.
The Sea Wolf (Michael Curtiz, 1941)
- I guess I just don't really like this Jack London story, or at least this adaptation. Another phony flick although the cast and crew are excellent.
Topper Returns (Roy Del Ruth, 1941)
- OK Topper comedy-thriller with some attractive females.
The Comedians (Peter Glenville, 1967)
-Crappy adaptation of Graham Greene's novel about Papa Doc in Haiti is incredibly muddled despite an enormous cast.

I have to cut it "short" just now.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
David Yates, 2010

Harry's like come at me bro.

A system of cells interlinked
Inception (2010, Nolan)

Finally...finally...another film I can go on a serious watching spree with, shortly followed by lots of discussion with friends! A fantastic piece of work with an absolutely brilliant screenplay. A complex, cerebral piece of film that manages to preserve visceral character development.

I don't think it's one of the best films ever made (maybe a
, but I think it just may become one of my favorites of all time, at least for a while. Of course, my rating at the top is slanted to reflect my enjoyment of the film as opposed to an AFI style of quality ranking.

Just Finished Watching The LOTR Trilogy. Boy what masterpieces those films are. Jackson should be proud. It only falls short to The Toy Story Trilogy as The Greatest Trilogy Of All Time. Although i might rethink about it.

Just Finished Watching The LOTR Trilogy. Boy what masterpieces those films are. Jackson should be proud. It only falls short to The Toy Story Trilogy as The Greatest Trilogy Of All Time. Although i might rethink about it.
I think that statement deserves one of these.

Or maybe two of these.

you best be trollin

Invasion of the Bee Girls
aka Graveyard Tramps (Denis Sanders, 1973)
+
Mildly titillating blend of science fiction and sexploitation has William Smith's goverment troubleshooter investigating a series of mysterious deaths in a small California town, that may or may not be linked to the local scientific research centre. With all the victims seemingly healthy men who've suffered heart attacks as a result of vigourous sexual activity; it's not long before the authorities are advising the bored townsfolk to refrain from intercourse with their partners. Naturally this goes down like a cup of cold sick with the men, and with many of the usually reserved housewives and female scientists suddenly displaying an almost uncontrolable manipulative lust for sex; the weak minded blokes have little to no chance of making out of this movie alive...still there's worse ways to go eh.

Invasion of the Bee Girls is most noteworthy for the starring role of Anitra Ford (best known for her part in Jack Hill's chicks-in-chains classic The Big Birdcage - and no doubt with Americans for her appearances on the Price is Right). She's delightfully sultry here as scientist Dr. Susan Harris, and provides nearly all the film's most memorable moments - the protracted seduction of an older colleague being a particular highlight.Also on hand to smoulder is Victoria Vetri who's no less beautiful as Smith's love interest Julie Zorn. This is indeed a film preocupied with light hearted sleaze, as the science on offer (linked to experiments on the mating habits of bees) is nothing short of ludicrous; a moot sub-theme for the excuse of a cool 1950's styled title. In fact there's nothing especially remarkable about this flick other than the campy story, a few amusing dialogue exchanges, and lots of bare breasted women. It is what it is, i.e. retro 70's Corman-esque schlock that fizzes along nicley providing a few laughs and some cool imagery. Naturally I adored it.

The Sender (Roger Christian, 1982)
-
Interesting if derivitive debut feature from Christian who'd already won an oscar for his set decoration on George Lucas' Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, and been nominated for his art direction on Ridley Scott's Alien. Both impressive achievements on his resume, lest we forget Mr. Christian also went on to direct complete tosh like Battlefield Earth and the first in the Underworld series.

The Sender
refers to a young man (ably played by Zeljko Ivanek) named Jon Doe 83 by the doctors at a mental institution who end up treating him after a failed suicide attempt. Determined to make a connection with the introverted new comer is the sensitive Dr. Farmer (Kathryn Harrold) who soon gets more than she bargained for when Jon inexplicably begins appearing in realistic hallucinations at her home, and whilst she's driving. Next thing we know the boy's insane mother (Shirley Knight) turns up claiming he's a cursed messiah and that they have some kind of psychic link. Whilst Dr. Farmer searches for the truth behind Jon's mysterious ability, all manner of strange visions begin to affect everyone in the hospital, and her unconvinced superior Dr. Denman (Paul Freeman) decides he's going to preform electro-shock therapy on Jon effectively lobotomising him...

Ok so it's The Exorcist; it's Carrie; it's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; it's The Fury; it's Patrick, hell even Scanners deserves something of a mention now that were talking psychological horror. Despite the obvious influences however, director Christian delivers a classy affair all his own, with enough chilling sequences to fire up the little grey cells, and most importantly; enduce plenty of goose flesh. There's a tenderness at the heart of The Sender that injects it with real soul, as does Sean Hewitt in a memorably humourous supporting role as 'the real messiah'. By no means the best of it's type, but still worth watching.

Sexykiller: Morirás Por Ella/You'll Die For Her (Miguel Marti, 2008)

Ultra flamboyant, coloufully campy, instant cult fave (the type of thing the Spanish seem to do so well) about the murderous comic exploits of college femme fatale Bárbara (Macarena Gómez who certainly lives up to the film's title - and who Stuart Gordon fans may remember from Dagon). This comes off like a violent girly cross between something Álex de la Iglesia and Robert Roderiguez might have dreamed up together after eating psychadelic cotton candy at an Aqua concert.

There's an audacious murder spree in full progress on a posh college campus somewhere in Spain that has both the media and police in a baffled incompetent frenzy. As speculation mounts regarding the identitly of the killer, so does the pile of bodies, killed by such extravagant means as to make the likes of Michael Myers and Jason Vorhees soil their undergarments. Naturally no-one suspects Bárbara who seems far too concerned as to the prospect that iconic toy Barbie's (named Sindy here for the purposes of copyright) boyfriend Ken (Glenn) is gay or not. Throw in a couple of egg headed Coroners who plan to trap the killer with a machine that can project dead people's final thoughts onto a TV screen; not to mention Bárbara's misconception that one of them is a fellow serial killer, and therefore a prospective soul mate, and you have the mere tip of the sugar coated, yet decidely blood centered iceberg...

Essentially Sexykiller is a farcial swipe come homage (if that's possible) at similarly themed, but one dimensional slasher flicks. The fact that Bárbara breaks the fourth wall and begins talking directly to the camera early on in the movie more than idicates that this is intended as spoof - all be it a gleefully bloody, and titillating one. Whilst the humour is somewhat hit and miss, Marti injects more than enough original touches to keep Sexykiller fresh and consistently entertaining throughout. Consider Bárbara's home shopping channel presentation of murder with handy household products, or her bizarre dance sequence with an orange faced Sindy and Glenn. Macarena Gómez is a revelation in the lead and the film has a super electro-pop/house soundtrack. This wont appeal to all tastes (the film has been misleadingly packaged to look like a straight up zombie flick in the UK - whereas said ghouls only pop up at the end) though I imagine the likes of Sexy Celebrity might find this to be their particular cup of tea. Great fun.

Cotton Comes to Harlem
(Ossie Davis, 1970)

Here's an oldie but goodie. Adapted by director Ossie Davis (Bruce Campbell's mate in BubbaHo-Tep) from Chester Himes' novel. Cotton Comes to Harlem is an early blaxploitation entry (though you could argue it trancends the genre) which pre-dates Melvin Van Peebles' seminal Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song realeased the following year.

Godfrey Cambridge, and Raymond St. Jaques are Gravedigger Jones, and Coffin Ed Johnson respectively. Two laconic cops working Harlem who smell something's rotten in Denmark with Reverand Deke O'Malley's (Calvin Lockhart) back to Africa scheme. The charismatic yet decidedly crooked O'Malley turns up to preach at a local rally and collect $83,000 in payments to return his opressed brothers and sisters to a racism free Africa, but Gravedigger and Coffin Ed aren't convinced. Before they can bring him in however, a masked armed gang turn up and steal the loot sparking a car chase in which both O'Malley and the cash go walkies. The only clue as to the whereabouts of the money? A bail of genuine Louisiana cotton which flys off the back of the getaway truck and is subsequently salvaged by a local vagrant (Red Foxx)...

Cotton Comes to Harlem
is a wonderfully playful blend of action and comedy that had me smiling throughout, and even belly laughing on a couple of occasions. The first of these came in the afore mentioned car chase which Davis clevery interweaves with a series of low-brow yet hilarious comic vignettes involving a dope fiend and a purse snatcher. Then there's Judy Pace's knockout turn as O'Malley's girlfriend, and in particular a scene in which she seduces the dim witted white police officer assigned to stop her leaving her apartment. Davis keeps things lively with lots of interesting characters and shootouts, and the interplay between our two heroes and their police chief bosses is pure gold. Sadly the film does lose some if it's momentum towards the final act when the humour takes more of a back seat, but this one still wraps it'self up nicely, and would be amongst the first movies of this type I'd recommend to anyone looking to explore the genre.

Black Water
(David Nerlich & Andrew Traucki, 2007)

First rate horror about a day trip gone horribly wrong in northern Australia draws some parallels with the tragedy currently taking place in Queensland - which incidently did give me second thoughts about even tabbing this one. The fact remains this is such a good horror film I felt duty bound (even though many of you may have already seen it).

Directed in a TV movie style and based on true events (so often an indication of a crap movie) this revolves around a trio of holiday makers; average married thirtysomethings Grace and Adam (Diana Glenn and Andy Rodereda), and Grace's twitchy sister Lee (Maeve Dermody) who are led by their guide Jim (Ben Oxenbould) into a mangrove swamp for some fishing. Ben's pistol initially alerts Lee to possible dangers that may lurk there, but just to ominously ram home the impending horror that awaits; he proceeds to warn them about the perils of salt water crocodiles that have been known to attack small boats. Before you know it a particualry nasty croc has flipped their boat and had Ben and his gun for dinner, leaving our trio of city slickers stuck up a tree in the middle of nowhere, and unable to see what lurks below the muddy swamp water...

I guess you would pitch this halfway between Greg Mclean's similarly themed croc horror Rogue (released the same year) and Chris Kentis' Open Water from 2003. Whilst both those films left me somewhat underwhelmed; Black Water is a distinct cut above. Right from the opening titles in which we're introduced to the family through a series of holiday snaps quickly establishing them as happy go lucky unsuspecting down to earth types. Directors Nerlich and Traucki delivery a master class in taut suspenseful horror movie making. The genius here is that the characters are left in a hopeless situation with a monster they cannot see, prompting the viewer to ask themselves what they would do under similar circumstances. Not only that but with such a harrowing attack early on in the film, the protagonists are repeatedly put in a posistion where they have no choice but to re-enter the swamp water knowing full well the crocodile might attack again. It's this sustained suspense, complimented by authentic performances from the cast, one agonising dilema, and the way the characters try to overcome their predicament that make Black Water a real winner. This is one you need to see.

Invader
aka Lifeform (Mark H. Baker, 1996)
+
Yup it's another one of those made for cable/direct to video monster from outer space flicks that invites the usual comaprisons to you know what. I'm forever looking for obscure variations of this theme, lord knows why as most of them turn out to be complete junk. This one is a minor exception however thanks to an intelligent script from Baker who takes the well worn formula in some interesting directions.

The story involves a brighter than usual group of scientists investigating an old Mars landing probe called Viking that has mysteriously returned to earth. Once in their lab it begins to interact with the computer systems downloading top secret information much to the disgruntlement of the military stationed there. On investigating the vehicle further they discover a new section has been added to the structure from which hatches an insectoid like alien. Far from being malevolent in intent however, the creature instead takes a more inquisitive approach; only to be exterminated by the soldiers. Unfortunately the creature has already laid an egg and in true insect fashion the offspring retains the knowledge of it's parent...

Well thought out creature design, not to mention some intelligent dialogue, and competent makeups are ultimately undermined by uninspired direction, and wooden acting. Still the story is engaging with enough red herrings and moral dliema's to keep things interesting to the prophetic final shot - which I really dug. Worth a look, but only for die hard monster fans.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Green Hornet - I loved this. It is funny, and outlandish, and I loved the ever escalating sense of chaos and silliness. I can't help it, I am a sucker for Seth Rogen, he is so much like people I know in real life, so this was kind of like what would happen if my friends became super-heroes. I want there to be a sequel.

Still trying to get a top ten for 2010 together.

127 Hours (2010, Danny Boyle)

The Fighter (2010, David O. Russell)

Tokyo Sonata (2008, Kiyoshi Kurosowa)

The Sea and Poison (1986, Kei Kumai)

Letters from a Dead Man (1986, Konstantin Lopushansky)

Morning Patrol (1987, Nikos Nikolaidis)

http://vodpod.com/watch/1629083-pete...thologist-1978
A Walk Through H. (1978, Peter Greenaway)

The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceaucescu (2010, Andrei Ujica)

The Charles Bukowski Tapes (1985, Barbet Schroeder)

Touching the Void (2003, Kevin MacDonald)

Animal Kingdom (2010, David Michod)

The Second Circle (1990, Aleksandr Sokurov)

The King's Speech (2010, Tom Hooper)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Watched some films during the past week that are on the MoFo lists:

+

I was impressed by this one, so this rating may very well go up if it holds up to re-watches

I liked this very much until the final 20 minutes that feel very rushed. The ending is very anti-climactic. There's a lot to like in this one, but those final 20 minutes left a sour taste in my mouth that I can't shake off when I think about The Missouri Breaks.

Not my cup of tea. I must be the sole person on this forum who dislikes Airplane and Blazing Saddles...

Since my last post I've been on a little bit of a pre-school binge since now I'll have to be doing math homework and other stuff that will (theoretically) give me less time to watch movies.

La Pelota Vasca (Medem, 2003)
-

Stage Fright (Hitchcock, 1950)

Matinee (Dante, 1993)

Throw Momma From the Train (DeVito, 1987)
+

Drunken Master II aka Legend of Drunken Master (Leung/Liu, 1994)
+

My Name is Nobody (Valerii, 1973)
-

Tron Legacy (Kosinski, 2010)

Fantastic Mr. Fox (Anderson, 2009)
+

Coraline (Selick, 2009)
-

A Star is Born (Cukor, 1954)
-

Splendor in the Grass (Kazan, 1961)

The Red Shoes (Powell & Pressburger, 1948)

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (Signorelli, 1988)
+

The Last Emperor (Bertolucci, 1987)

Make Mine Mink (Asher, 1960)

The Raven (Landers, 1935)