The MoFo Top Neo-noir Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Classical Film Noir existed for a brief period of 20 years, and just like that *poof* it's gone... but in the words of noir expert Eddie Muller, "what do you do with the movies afterwards that seem like those films?" Well, that's where neo-noir comes into play. It is the logical evolution of the classic film noir with more modern themes and sensibilities. It amplifies the scope to include other countries and other genres. Like most continuations, it is bigger and badder, but we're gonna tackle it anyway.

LIST OF GENERAL RULES

As lawless as neo-noir might be, this is not Chinatown... or Nam. This is MoFo. There are rules! So here they are:
  • Submit your ranked list of twenty-five (25) titles, from best to worst, using our neo-ballot tool (see what I did there?) See below for more info.
  • Films will be awarded points as follows: 25 points for 1st place, 24 points for 2nd place, 23 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to one point for your 25th placed film.
  • If you submit less than 25 films, then points will be redistributed accordingly (i.e. if you submit 10 films, your top film will receive 10 points, then 9 for your 2nd place, 8 for your 3rd place, etc.)
  • Hey, you. Rookie! New members can send in a list as soon as they've been a member here for one month. Other cases can be treated on a case-by-case basis.
  • Keep your list close to your vest! Anyone who reveals their submitted list before the countdown has ended will be disqualified. So hush-hush.
  • The deadline for entries will be February 25, 2024. That gives you almost three (3) months to investigate, catch up, or refresh anything you might put up on your list.

THE BALLOT

So where do you vote for this batch of corrupt films? Just like previous countdowns, we'll be using our new ballot software, courtesy of Yoda, which you can access here:

It will look like this:

• Just type the name of the movie you want and select it from the drop-down list.
  • If the movie doesn't appear, you can click the link on the upper right corner ("movie you want not showing up") and paste the URL of the movie from the IMDb or TMDb.
  • Check, and double-check, the names and dates of the film as you choose them, to avoid mistakes and confusion. Remember that there can be several films with the same title (especially, foreign films)
  • There should be a minimum of ten (10) entries per ballot.
  • You will receive a copy of your list via PM after you submit.
  • All ballots are final, so make sure everything is set before submitting.

ELEGIBILITY

So what films can break through this glass door to get in our countdown?
  • Only films released in or after 1960 are eligible. If they are from 1940 to 1959, put them on Citizen's Film Noir ballot.
  • Films will be eligible as long as they are tagged or notably identified as "noir", "film noir", or "neo-noir" at TWO of the following at least: IMDb, Wikipedia, or Letterboxd/The Movie Database.
  • At IMDb if they are tagged "noir", "film noir", or "neo-noir" anywhere on the page.
  • At Wiki it needs to say "noir", "film noir", or "neo-noir" in the movie's first section in the first or second sentence. Alternatively, it could be on a "neo-noir" category at the bottom of the page.
  • At Letterboxd or The Movie Database, it should have "noir", "film noir", or "neo-noir" among its themes.

Here are some examples of what you should be looking for:

If you are not sure, feel free to ask about any film here on the thread or via DM. We will try to clarify and reach a consensus, and notable eligibility cases might be put somewhere visible on the thread for others to check.

There's a lot of time to watch some films, so don't stand there picking your nose. Sit down with your best friends or worst enemies and watch and talk about neo-noir. Even if you don't think you're into noir or neo-noir, I'm sure most of you have seen at least 25 films that would qualify. So make sure you watch, rewatch, and get your voting list in. We will have some noir watching activity threads, so check them out and try to participate.

Remember that Citizen Rules is hosting the Film Noir countdown (see thread here) so make sure and participate in that one as well.

Also, feel free to join the Neo-noir Scavenge Hunt!

So as usual, choose well, choose wisely, always respect the opinions and thoughts of others, but most of all, HAVE FUN... in a dark and twisted way!

BALLOTS RECEIVED

1. John W Constantine
  2. Holden Pike
  3. Balor
  4. seanc
  5. Allaby
  6. GulfportDoc
  7. Tugg
  8. MovieFan1988
  9. Citizen Rules
  10. Diehl40
  11. mrblond
  12. Harry Lime
  13. Miss Vicky
  14. Thursday Next
  15. Fabulous
  16. Yoda
  17. Cobpyth
  18. Torgo
  19. Frightened Inmate No. 2
  20. PHOENIX74
  21. Wigram
  22. stillmellow
  23. SpelingError
  24. LAMb EELYAK
  25. Hey Fredrick
  26. John-Connor
  27. beelzebubble
  28. CosmicRunaway
  29. ScarletLion
  30. culliford
  31. Little Ash
  32. crumbsroom
  33. WHITBISSELL!
  34. Siddon
  35. Ash TheStrangeOne
  36. cricket
  37. honeykid
  38. Kaplan
  39. edarsenal
  40. KeyserCorleone
  41. rauldc14
  42. Sedai
  43. Wyldesyde19
  44. ApexPredator
  45. CaptainT
  46. Thief
  47. Iroquois

RECOMMENDATIONS AND HELPFUL LINKS

Watch this brief introduction to neo-noir from noir expert, Eddie Muller

Episode of my podcast where we cover Noir and some neo-noir:
The Movie Loot 49: The Noir Loot (with Richard Edwards)

Angelica Jade Bastien article on Vulture.com
33 Essential Neo-Noirs, From Jackie Brown to Gone Girl

NoFilmSchool article on Neo-noir
What is Neo Noir? Definition and Essential Examples

Wikipedia list of neo-noirs
List of neo-noir films

Swapnil Dhruv Bose article on Far Out magazine
From Martin Scorsese to Ridley Scott: 10 essential films from the American neo-noir movement

Hannah Saab and Alexander Bernard article on Collider.com
The 12 Best Neo-Noir Movies of All Time, According to Reddit

Mentions on these lists and articles doesn't override our eligibility rules. They're meant to serve as guides to what is neo-noir.

It's on! I will add more links to this third post once I get home, so keep your eyes on it.

In opening picture above, I see you included Jackie Brown and Drive as neo noir, so I will consider them for my list.

Question: is The Killer (2023) neo noir?

In opening picture above, I see you included Jackie Brown and Drive as neo noir, so I will consider them for my list.

Question: is The Killer (2023) neo noir?
Jackie Brown and Drive are both eligible because they are included in a "neo-noir" category in Wikipedia (see bottom of their Wikipedia articles) and they both have a "neo-noir" tag on IMDb.

I still haven't seen The Killer (might watch it tonight or tomorrow), but it has a "neo-noir" tag on IMDb. As far as Wikipedia or Letterboxd, nothing yet, and it needs at least two. Considering that it's a film that just premiered on Netflix today, let's give this one some time before we decide.

The trick is not minding
*Sees thread, gets excited.*
*Reads eligibility requirements and goes to check the eligibility of her favorite Neo-noir*
*No longer excited.*
Which films were you considering? We can dig deeper if need be

Which films were you considering? We can dig deeper if need be
The very first movie I checked is Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

IMDb has "neo noir" listed under Plot Keywords. Wikipedia includes it on the Neo-noir list that Thief posted, but it's not anywhere on the film's Wiki page. It's not listed as Neo-noir anywhere on its Letterboxd page.

IMDb has "neo noir" listed under Plot Keywords. Wikipedia includes it on the Neo-noir list that Thief posted, but it's not anywhere on the film's Wiki page. It's not listed as Neo-noir anywhere on its Letterboxd page.

Hmm, my initial reaction is to consider it since the noir elements are pretty much at the core of the film. But since it is also an animated comedy, I suppose the noir sub-definition gets diluted a bit. We'll deliberate in the backroom and let you know.

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/856...d-roger-rabbit
It's tagged as Neo noir on the TMDB site, so that's two movie sites that have it tagged as neo noir. You should be good to go.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/856...d-roger-rabbit
It's tagged as Neo noir on the TMDB site, so that's two movie sites that have it tagged as neo noir. You should be good to go.
Ah, thanks. I didn't check TMDB because it and Letterboxd are listed like they're the same thing on the first post. I'll make sure to check it for the others I'm considering.

Ah, thanks. I didn't check TMDB because it and Letterboxd are listed like they're the same thing on the first post. I'll make sure to check it for the others I'm considering.
Letterboxd feeds off from The Movie Database for most of its data, which is why I assumed that most of its tags would replicate to it. Worth checking both then.

Movies can bridge genres, let’s not forget.
Yes. Notable examples of bridges/fusions fitting for this thread are tech-noir (Blade Runner, Dark City, Strange Days?) or noir/comedy (The Man Who Wasn't There, The Big Lebowski? the afore mentioned Who Framed Roger Rabbit?), neo-western/neo-noir (No Country for Old Men?), and also, whatever it's going on with Mulholland Drive

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra