Nope's Movie Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Your review of Little Miss Sunshine is on the money and I totally agree with you regarding Steve Carell...I would have nominated him for an Oscar before Arkin, whose award I think was a body of work/lifetime achievement thing. Also loved the always watchable Toni Collette, an actress you never catch "acting."

Still some solid reviews in here, Nope.

So glad you liked Gold Rush too. Can't remember if I asked, but I hope The Great Dictator is among those four of his that you've seen.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
I tried to watch In Bruges once a couple of years ago and turned it off about twenty minutes in, but I have read so much positive stuff about the film on this site that I think I'm going to have to give it another chance.
Definitely give In Bruges a second try, it's fantastic

Still some solid reviews in here, Nope.

So glad you liked Gold Rush too. Can't remember if I asked, but I hope The Great Dictator is among those four of his that you've seen.
It is, the four I have seen are Modern Times, The Gold Rush, The Gread Dictator, and The Kid. I like them from best to worst in that order.

Inside Out
(2015, Peter Docter)

While I did end up enjoying this movie, I felt like it was another case of a pixar film being over hyped. This film was nowhere close to the quality of Finding Nemo or Monster's Inc. I personally didn't think the film was anything more than a fun concept.

Inside Out takes place inside inside of a young girl's head after she moves to San Fransisco. While I did enjoy the concept, I would't necessarily call it original. The idea of emotions being people inside your head has been used before, and I didn't think the character's were so original either. The only reason I am bringing this up is because this film was hailed as "Pixar's most original film". This being said I did enjoy parts of the film and thought they were somewhat original and creative. For example I thought the dream production scene was very fun and interesting. The thing that bothered me most about the writing and story was just how bipolar Riley was. No other human character in the film seemed to act as irrationally as she did. One second she would be happy about sliding down the stairs, and then she would just start crying about sliding down the stairs. I didn't make much sense. Also did it not bother anyone else how the emotions in everyone else's heads had the same hair and look as the people they were inside, but not Riley's. This didn't take away from me liking the film, it just was bothered me.

My other main problem with the film was the animation. There was nothing wrong with it particularly, but it just wasn't special. I have mentioned many times before in the past that I much prefer 2D animation over 3D, and I think this is a perfect example. Look at the beautiful hand-drawn animation from Pinocchio and compare them to the somewhat boring animation from modern pixar films.

Even with all of these negatives I was entertained throughout the film. While it does not come nearly as close to the quality of Toy Story, Wall-E, or Up, it is better than either of the Cars movies or Brave. Defiantly not my favorite Pixar movie, but at least it wasn't the worst.

HER

I have been a big fan of Spike Jozne ever since his directing debut Being John Malkovich, one of my personal favorites, and he has continued to maintain an almost perfect track record. From Adaptation to Where the Wild Things Are, Spike Jonze has by far proved himself as a competent director, and this one film alone proves him to be one of the most creative and ingenious writers currently working.

Her is a movie about a recently divorced, and constantly depressed writer (Joaquin Phoenix) who starts creating emotional attachments to an AI Operating System named Samantha (voiced by Scarlett Johansson). As the two characters begin to learn more about each other, they start to learn more about themselves, and eventually fall in love. The AI theme in movies is definitely not an original idea, but the way that the film uses the future is absolutely brilliant, and I give all credit to Spike Jonze and his Oscar-winning screenplay. I appreciate that the movie does not attempt to explain the science behind the creation of the Operating System, and also does not give a specific year for when the movie takes place. This movie sets up one of the most realistic visions of the future I have ever seen in a film, an emotionless world controlled by technology.

The film has a very unique way of tackling important social issues, without coming across as preachy. Many of the issues that are dealt with include, technology, relationships, trust, intimacy, and most of all, love. The great performances from both Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson help make the relationship feel genuine, and the two have real chemistry even though you don't even see one of them. Every single thing from the characters' job, to his friends all reflect and go in depth about one of the issues that the movie has to deal with. For example one of the main ideas of the movie is that people need to spend more real time together, instead of spending time attached to technology, and the main character's job is writing letters to family members for other people.

It is very likely that this future will end up being what happens in real life. People are to attached to technology, no one meets face to face anymore, and people have to rely on others to have emotions and speak to others. IN the end, this movie is one of the best acted, directed, and written movie of recent years, and is absolutely worth a watch.

Enjoyed your review of this movie and will definitely be watching it at some point...I loved Being John Malkovich and Adaptation so loving this should be a no-brainer.

BIG DADDY
Now that Adam Sandler's movies have taken a much more offensive, terrible, insulting, and scam-ish route, it is refreshing to see a film that isn't as terrible as some of his other horrible excuses for films, but saying that a movie isn't as terrible as Jack and Jill is definitely not a complement. Also, this review is going to be a lot shorter than normal, because there is nothing much you can say about a bad comedy other than, "it wasn't funny".

Big Daddy is about a lazy, unlikable slob who for lack of a better term, kidnaps a small child and raises him, hilarity ensues. Most of the attempted humor of the film is riding on the cuteness of the Sprouse twins, and this allows dumber audience members to think this movie is charming instead of incredibly stupid. Sandler once again phones in his performance, and invites all of his Happy Madison friends to enjoy a nice big paycheck with him, Rob Schneider gives an especially bad performance as a foreign delivery man.

If you want to actually enjoy yourself during this movie, simply spend your time crossing off items from the Happy Madison checklist. Product Placement, Fast Food Resteraunt Product Placement, Fart Jokes, Genital Injury, Cameo's from SNL Cast Members, Cameo's from non-SNL celebrities, Animal Cruelty, Racist Jokes, Sentimental scenes used to trick the audience members to think that the movie has a heart. You'll be surprised how many this movie can check off of the list.

To the films credit, I did enjoy this film much more than movies like Jack and Jill, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2, and Grown Ups 2, and there were a few giggles, but still not worth your time. You know your movie is bad when even Jon Stewart can't save it.

I think you were a little hard on this movie...Sandler has done at least half a dozen films that are worse than Big Daddy.

PSYCHO

I really wish I was alive in 1960 to see this film when it first was released. When I first watched this movie a few years ago, I pretty much already knew all of the spoilers there were to know, and while I still loved it, I could have loved it so much more.

Psycho is about a woman named Marion Crane, who steals $40,000 and runs away from home, and on her way, she decides to stop at the Bates Motel. This movie reinvented the psychological thriller, and it's amazing that Alfred Hitchcock could still reinvent things after he'd already been in the business for 30 years. He knew exactly how his audience would react to things, and used that skill perfectly. I don't know why, but I think my favorite thing about this movie is its music. From the opening credits the music jumped me right into the movie, and I knew exactly how I would feel for the rest of it. The music gave off a haunting vibe that was intensified further by the great acting and cinematography. Even though this isn't me favorite Hitchcock (that honor belongs to North by Northwest) it is still one of his best.

Another thing that was very impressive about this movie was the use of shadows. Many other Hitchcock films use lighting for dramatic purposes as well, such as Notorious and Rear Window, but none were used just as well. Shadows and lighting were used to show how a character is feeling, who has the power in a scene, and it was also used to foreshadow the plot. Mirrors were also used frequently during the film for the same reasons.

This review is shorty than my other ones, because there is really nothing to say about Psycho that hasn't already been said. This is the greatest horror movie of all time, and even though I'm not a very big horror fan, I can still respect its genius. If you haven't seen this movie yet, get off of Movie Forums and watch it right now.

I have seen bits and pieces of this movie but have never seen it from beginning to end...my recent watch of Hitchcockand your review have made me want to actually watch the entire film.

I think you were a little hard on this movie...Sandler has done at least half a dozen films that are worse than Big Daddy.
It's true that Big Daddy isn't his worst, but you can't say it's alright just because it's not as bad as all the others.

The Hateful Eight
(2015, Quentin Tarantino)

Quentin Tarantino has been my favorite director for as long as I have had a favorite director. The stylization, dialogue, and violence in all of his films are incredible each time. The Hateful Eight was no exception.

The film follows bounty hunter John "The Hangman" Ruth as he is bringing criminal Daisy Domergue into the town of Red Rock to be hanged. After picking up two hitchhikers, his stagecoach is forced to stop at a nearby haberdashery due to a heavy blizzard. The film takes place in five different chapters, each bringing the story in a completely different direction, and one of my favorite aspects of the film was the fact that it mostly took place in real time. As with every other Tarantion film, the dialogue was a highlight. This being said, The Hateful Eight was an incredibly new direction for Tarantino.

Since the film was a western about bounty hunters, I was expecting the movie to be very similar to Django: Unchained. Instead the film actually shared many similarities with my favorite Quentin Tarantino film Reservoir Dogs. The film was about a group of shady characters trying to decide who among them is a traitor, and the two films hit some of the same beats. Even tough it was market as one I didn't feel like this film was a mystery. I won't spoil anything, but there weren't any clues that led to the final result, at least, not any the audience would notice. As I previously said, each chapter in the film takes the story in a new direction. The film starts as a western, becomes a whodunit, and it all results in an incredibly bloody finale.

Even though I wasn't lucky enough to see the film in 70mm, it still looked incredible. The movie was very stylized, and that was one of my favorite things about it. I have talked with many people who said they thought this was one of Tarantino's weaker films, but I have to disagree. I really enjoyed this movie even though it had a few flaws, including the slow beginning and lengthy running time.

Overall I enjoyed this film as much as I expected I would, but I thinks this is a film that requires you to be a Tarantino fan to enjoy. If you love Quentin Tarantino as much as me, you will love this movie.

Hail, Caesar!
(2016, Joel and Ethan Coen)

When watching the trailer for Hail, Caesar! you will probably be severely misled. When I first watched the trailer, I believed this would be a mystery about a kidnapped actor at a large 1950s movie backdrop. While this was a part of the story, I wouldn't say it was the main plot. The main story really follows a film exec as he struggles to solve the issues that arise from different actors and directors, one of which happens to be a kidnapping.

While I did enjoy the film, it was defiantly not for the story, it was for the comedy. While the movie being funny is defiantly not a bad thing, films like Fargo, The Big Lebowski, and Burn After Reading manage to be hilarious and have a far superior plot and characters. This movie simply wasn't focused enough to have me care about any of the characters. Now before I continue I would like to make it clear the I did enjoy this movie, and my harsh words are just specific criticisms I have.

My main problem with the plot was the lack of motivation. There were no points in the film at all when anyone was in any danger at all. George Clooney's character is never really put in any harm, and even the ransom money doesn't even seem to be an issue for the people who pay it. Because of this problem, I fail to sympathize or care for any of the characters or there motives, and throughout the film there really are no consequences. I won't spoil anything, but even the main reveal at the end doesn't effect anything at all. The highlight of the film for me was Alden Ehrenreich's character, who delivered most of the comedy in the movie. Unfortunately his character was the only one who was really fleshed out and interesting.

I wish I had not seen the trailer before I watched the movie, because it probably would have changed my viewing experience for the better. If you wan't to see this movie because of big names like Channing Tatum, Jonah Hill, or Scarlett Johansson, you would be disappointed because their combined screen time is about 10 minutes. If you went to this film to see a mystery kidnap thriller, you would be disappointed because that is not what this film is about. While I enjoyed the humor, the general public would probably find it quite boring. Overall, only see this movie if you a fan of the Coen Brothers, like myself.

Rep for Hateful Eight review even though I don't agree. Well, I agree about the fact that this isn't really a mystery, but other than that we are in different ends. I'm a Tarantino fan, but didn't like this one.

10 Cloverfield Lane
(2016, Dan Trachtenberg)

I'm going to start this review off by saying that I have never seen the original Colverfield. It never really seemed interesting to me, and I am not a fan of found footage films. This movie however did stand out to me in many ways. It had a genius marketing campaign, and the concept seemed original and unique. I'm glad I haven't seen Cloverfield, because I feel like it would have impeded on my viewing experience.

10 Cloverfield Lane follows a girl named Michele, who has a car crash and wakes up in an underground bunker. A beyond creepy man named Howard tells here that the world has been destroyed, and everyone in the bunker are the only survivors left. My biggest problem with this film was the unnecessary involvement of Cloverfield. The reason I am glad I had not seen the original film before seeing this, is because I would have just been waiting for the connection to happen. I won't spoil anything, but when the connection between the two films does happen, it is very forced. The acting was well done, but John Goodman was the only performance that really stood out.

While I very much enjoyed the experience of watching this movie, I wouldn't go as far as to say this movie was well made. I enjoy being tense and stressed when watching a movie, especially when I'm in the theater. While I was incredibly tense during this movie, that was mainly because of jump scares and unexpected audio changes. Another problem I had with this movie was that it was slightly clichéd. There was only one really unexpected moment, and that was at the very beginning.

Overall, this film was a fun experience, but I would only recommend it if you see it in a theater. If you only want to see this movie because you are a big fan of the original Cloverfield, than check it out, but don't expect much. In the end, this was a fun popcorn flick that I enjoyed watching.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I disagree about the unexpected moment. I believe there were at least two of them. Both used to great effect.

Suspect's Reviews

I have to return some videotapes...
Yeah I agree there were a couple of good little twists this movie took, that surprised me a lot. Pretty ballsy movie if you ask me too, considering that it doesn't really get attached to Cloverfield until the very end.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
The Lion King and Inside Out are awesome.

Big Daddy and Southpark are fun.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "