Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Mayhem (Rating: A): From the director of Wrong Turn 2 and Everly comes his latest film! What would you do if you just got fired from your job but the place of work has been quarantined due to you and your co-workers having a temporary virus that lets you unleash your inhibitions for eight hours? That question is answered in Joe Lynch's latest film, which stars The Walking Dead's Steven Yeun as a legal analyst who is forced to be the fall guy in a case gone wrong but when he and his former co-workers, including the higher ups, are infected with the ID6 virus, Derek sees this as a chance to get even against all of his damning co-workers. He gets help from Ash vs Evil Dead's Samara Weaving, who plays a client with the law firm whose house is about to be foreclosed on and she wants payback as well.

Think of the film as a major genre meshup or better yet, a combination of The Office, Quarantine, The Purge done in the style of both Troma films and Takashi Miike films. Loads of fun and madness overall!

The New York Ripper (1982)

I saw this once before but it wasn't a good copy and it was a censored version. I thought of watching it again after Camo recently raved about it. The movie would be nothing without the sleaze and nastiness. Thankfully, there's a lot of it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Originally Posted by edarsenal

I have that DVD and I think it is much better, but lest anyone think otherwise, I think the sexual tension comes from Portman crushing hard on Jean Reno, and nothing from him other than an awkwardness realizing that's what she's doing and not knowing how to deal with it. Do you have the same take on it? I mean, he is her savior in this and she was growing up in that sleazy family where she had to have seen and heard things that a girl her age shouldn't. So of course she's going to love him and say inappropriate things. Just MHO. Love this movie. And the scenes with her getting extra "on-his-job" training were golden. I keep holding out hope for a years-later sequel where Portman is a hit woman and gets her jobs and money from Danny Aiello (I know he's in his early 80's, but I think he could do it, he's still making movies). It seems like such an obvious film, but I guess it's all up to Luc Besson.
That's how I've always seen it as well.
Besson does a beautiful job and handles it very well and those additional scenes are necessary for a fuller enjoyment. And that INCLUDES the additional training scenes as well.

A sequel with Matilda as a hitman would have been cool, but I kinda like the idea that he she made her way through hell and lived a normal, happy life. Or at least with a lot less bloodshed and violence anyway. Could you imagine what kind of Soccer Mon she would be? lol

Four Daughters (Michael Curtiz, 1938)

Less sappy than expected considering the amount of oestrogen involved

Just to say a few more things about Knights of the Teutonic Order. It is still to this day the most viewed Polish film ever. It apparently attracted massive crowds when it came out. They had over 15,000 extras for the battle scenes. I can't get over how good this movie was. I'm really excited and I'm going to watch it again tomorrow.

Originally Posted by edarsenal
A sequel with Matilda as a hitman would have been cool, but I kinda like the idea that he she made her way through hell and lived a normal, happy life. Or at least with a lot less bloodshed and violence anyway. Could you imagine what kind of Soccer Mon she would be? lol
Now that you say that, it would be better for her to live a relatively normal life. But that Soccer Mom comment, oh man!

Distant (2002) (Dir. Nuri Bilge Ceylan)

This movie inspired my first review on Letterboxd. Three years later, I can't relate to it as seamlessly as I once did. Despite that, I still feet the weight of it. It puts me back in touch the loneliness I once experienced. It renews my will to rail against that part of myself.

Mahmut and Yusuf both cope with similar problems stemming from opposing circumstances. Everything Mahmut wants is within reach yet he pushes it away to spite himself. His family, his art, and the love of his life are all at his finger tips, yet he'd rather withdraw into himself and watch them pass him by. His plight is existential.

Yusuf, on the other hand, can only see the life he wants from afar. He can't care for his family without a job. He can't get a job in the recession. The women he casts wanting gazes at are headed elsewhere. The optimism he arrives in Istanbul with is slowly ground down to abject fatalism.

The third most present character in this story is a mouse. Like Yusuf, he is an unwanted house guest. He leaves messes for Mahmut to clean up. He's increasingly unwelcome, but won't leave. When caught, Mahmut suggests letting the mouse suffer on the glue trap until morning. The task falls to Yusuf to dispose of the doomed creature in a grocery bag. He tosses the bag to the street where cats flock to it hungrily. Mahmut watches on as Yusuf retrieves the bag and mercifully swings it against a wall. It's an act of courtesy and empathy Yusuf certainly wouldn't and couldn't extend.

The final sequences of the film aren't any less haunting the second time around. The airport scene is a painful undermining of a classic trope. The cigarette, the stare, and the sound of the waves are a brutal valediction. Kenneth Lonnergan's Manchester by the Sea closes with only small victories in hand, but that small amount of progress leaves room for hope. Ceylan doesn't provide that parachute to his audience. It's a film about falling that admits gravity is often the victor.

With the picture centered around the life of a photographer, the camera is often stationary. The beautiful scenery of an Instabul winter exists within a picture frame. The occasional pan following the subject, executed with the utmost patience, leads to an equally stunning composition. Ceylan repeatedly finds pivot points granting him the ability to express movement without betraying the stillness suiting the story.

3 Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri

I got to see an early screening for this one. I fully expect Harrelson, McDormand, Rockwell to all get Oscar nominations and this might just be the best picture of the year. This is going to be a number of people's favorite movie of the year. It's easily Martin McDonagh's best film in that he manages to finally blend great characters with an amazing story.

What makes this movie so good is that you have this duality in Rockwell and McDormand. They could very easily be these two simple characters a protagonist and antagonist. But this is a movie about humor, violence and humanity.

For me the standout was not McDormand but Sam Rockwell who is mostly hidden in the trailers and for good reason. I'm not going to spoil anything but his turn is Oscar worthy, it really is a complete lack of vanity.

McDormand is a pitiless woman who does not suffer fools. Her monologues are great beautifully written use of profanity and cutting wit but it's when she's silent, that's when the story hit's it's emotionally peaks.

Finally the plotting of this movie is special, the ending is really good. I was impressed with the final few scenes as it tied up the story without taking any shortcuts. Some people might really hate it but it makes sense when you take a step back and look at the film as a whole.

Electric Dreams (1984, Steve Barron)

A slice of pure 80s nostalgia starring Lenny Von Dohlen (remember Harold Smith from Twin Peaks?) and the lovely Virginia Madsen.
Disarmingly heartwarming and fun.

The English Patient (1996)

I got to see an early screening for this one. I fully expect Harrelson, McDormand, Rockwell to all get Oscar nominations and this might just be the best picture of the year. This is going to be a number of people's favorite movie of the year. It's easily Martin McDonagh's best film in that he manages to finally blend great characters with an amazing story.

What makes this movie so good is that you have this duality in Rockwell and McDormand. They could very easily be these two simple characters a protagonist and antagonist. But this is a movie about humor, violence and humanity.

For me the standout was not McDormand but Sam Rockwell who is mostly hidden in the trailers and for good reason. I'm not going to spoil anything but his turn is Oscar worthy, it really is a complete lack of vanity.

McDormand is a pitiless woman who does not suffer fools. Her monologues are great beautifully written use of profanity and cutting wit but it's when she's silent, that's when the story hit's it's emotionally peaks.

Finally the plotting of this movie is special, the ending is really good. I was impressed with the final few scenes as it tied up the story without taking any shortcuts. Some people might really hate it but it makes sense when you take a step back and look at the film as a whole.
Martin McDonagh is one of the best writers in my book, really looking forward to seeing this especially after your thoughts on it.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

Rockwell is my guy, been waiting to see something besides the S2V stuff he's been pumping out. This and Orient Express are gonna duke it out this week for me.

P.E.
Oh well, guess 3B not playing here on Fri...as of now.