Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

So much love? Seriously, did I watch a different film or what? Of course a son will take care of his old man, that is unless he's a complete douche.

Alexander Payne effectively portrayed the emptiness and the uneventful lives of the characters in the movie, through the winter backdrop and the empty streets of the town. Had it been a heartwarming film, it would have been in color and with the sun shining in every scene. But it wasn't, because it was the opposite of that.
Yeah, because black and white films can't have a certain warmth to them...
Of course there was emptiness and disappointment in the story, but I can't see how you missed the wonderfully tender aspect of the whole film.

I'm seriously thinking y'all missed the point of this movie. Either that or I suffer from major depressive disorder, or something.
It's not about getting the point. We all saw the more pessimistic elements of the film. I just don't get how you can't see that Payne is gradually lifting everything above that seemingly "cold environment" and shows us something more meaningful in this film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm seriously thinking y'all missed the point of this movie.
Right back at you. I'm glad you typed that, so I didn't have to because my life is too empty and uneventful to care. Good discussion though.

Yo, let's agree to disagree then. I'm probably sounding like I strongly disliked the movie, but I didn't. I liked it although for different reasons, obviously.

Anyways, earlier I watched another movie that kinda depicts hell, too. It reminded me of Barton Fink in some ways... insanity caused by aloneness and isolation, presented rather weirdly by Roman Polanski who is also the lead character. Or was it heartwarming?

The Tenant (1976) -

Recommended if you're a horror fan.

Interesting discussion. Shows how something as simple as black & white can have a polarizing psychological effect on the viewer...

"Strange how a teapot
Can represent at the same time
The comforts of solitude
And the pleasures of company."
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I enjoyed the film, it was really well made and all, but there was 2 things that bothered me. 1st the over sentimental picture showing at the beginning, it's cliché we've all seen it before please be original. 2nd in a movie which happened in real life it's not normal to have a 45 minutes or so action sequence where 5 or 6 guyz defend themselves against 200 armed men. In Terminator or Rambo I understand because it's a story, but not in that film. I'm being very negative, but I still really liked the film, other from these 2 things it was a solid 8/10

++
That was a great film. Not an easy one to understand in it's entirety, but still a film that makes you feel emotions and ask yourself some question. The acting performance is absolutely incredible by Jeong-hie Yun. I don't want to spoil so the only thing I'll say is that her characterisation is fantastic. The other thing that I loved about the film is it's visual beauty. It says to us even though theres a lot of bad, evil things happening in this world there's always beauty and hope.

++
That was a great film. Not an easy one to understand in it's entirety, but still a film that makes you feel emotions and ask yourself some question. The acting performance is absolutely incredible by Jeong-hie Yun. I don't want to spoil so the only thing I'll say is that her characterisation is fantastic. The other thing that I loved about the film is it's visual beauty. It says to us even though theres a lot of bad, evil things happening in this world there's always beauty and hope.
Quality movie. Have you seen any of Lee's other films? I've liked them all a lot - except Green Fish, his debut.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

Let Me In -
For those that don't know, in 2008, there was a Swedish film called Let The Right One In that garnered critical acclaim from critics. And it was proclaimed to have been a movie adaptation for the book of the same name. In-reality, it was a very loose adaptation, in that, they briefly touched on what Eli was, but didn't really disclose what was said in the book.

WARNING: spoilers below
Eli is male and was castrated but was also an absolute prick in-general unlike the more lovable variation that we got in the movies. Not only that, but there's a lot of other things like child prostitution detailed in the book that didn't find way in the movie. Thankfully, if you ask me.

I was sincerely expecting to enjoy the 2010 adaptation more than the Swedish version as I was hoping that they'd bring a different outlook on the characters. There's a lot of personality that wasn't seized in Let The Right One In, but instead, it was an absolute shot-by-shot remake of the movie, and not really much of an adaptation of the book. Even still, Chloe Grace Moretz is an actress that I always find myself enjoying, and the story is an intriguing one. What I will say though is that Let Me In's Owen and Abby don't have the chemistry of Let The Right One In's Oskar and Eli.

Neither movie is great, but both movies are good, but I enjoyed the Swedish version more. The differences are marginal enough to assume that I would have liked which ever one that I saw first better, as neither particularly does a better job at getting things across than the other.

Let Me In: 7.5/10.0

Rush: Wow, holy ****, this movie wasn't supposed to be this good, what the **** were they thinking!? Jesus Christ, this movie left me absolutely astonished because I went into it expecting something that was only remotely decent instead I found myself calling it great. Chris Hemsworth had the performance of his career so far while Daniel Bruhl did great and then some. These two characters did so well together. The characters were entirely different, but neither of them necessarily seemed like a bad guy, and oftentimes, every time that it made it seem like you were supposed to be rooting for one, you are given reason to root for the other.

By the end of it, I liked them both quite a bit. This movie was everything to racing that The Wrestler was to professional wrestling and Black Swann was to ballet.

Bad Grandpa: I know that it's a pretty bizarre change of tone in movie, but that was by design. Bad Grandpa, and the entire Jackass franchise, is something of a guilty pleasure of mine. It's stupid, but it's funny, and this was just that.

You're Next: At the time that I first heard of this movie, it was a critical darling, and I was actually really excited to see it. However, unfortunately, it wasn't playing in a theater near me, and so, it took until now for me to finally see it. I was admittedly a little disappointed with it, but wait. I am disappointed because I was expecting something that was absolutely amazing and brilliant, but what I got wasn't bad by any means. There was a lot of acting that was over-the-top, and I do mean, really over-the-top, but I thought that the story had a lot of intriguing ideas going for it.

The violence came off well, and is even better when you consider that the movie had a budget of only one million. I would say that more or less, with some moderate tweaking, it becomes what The Purge could have been but wasn't. The twists and turns may not have been original along with the concept, but the attempts at suspense and Rube Goldberg style kills weren't in vein for me.

Nothing Left to Fear

This movie, I, uh, I never even heard of before I noticed that my aunt rented it, and honestly, I basically got what I was to expect. The movie lacked scares and much in the way of originality whatsoever, I literally predicted all of the twists before they happened, and most of the times, I thought I was joking. The religious jargon is an overused thing in horror, but this one really made me want to beat my head against the wall. The movie plays it straight through and through, but the slow-pace, lack of fright, and bland characters make it difficult to become invested in.

Let Me In: 7.6/10.0
Rush: 8.5/10.0
Bad Grandpa: No Rating, Stupid Fun.
You're Next: 7.1/10.0
Nothing Left to Fear: 2.0/10.0

I watched A Midnight in Paris last night. Thought it was very good although very shallow in terms of depth. It was a pleasant movie that was nice to watch with a story. Loved the use of real characters like Hemingway and Picasso.

7/10

Twitter: @MandFReviews

Citizen of Werewolfville
Jan Saudek: Trapped by His Passions, No Hope to Rescue (Jan Saudek: V pekle svých vášní, ráj v nedohlednu; 2007)

Little bit messy, but interesting documentary about eccentric Czech photographer Jan Saudek, who became famous for his ability to find beauty in sad, shocking and sometimes disgusting things. This film is trying to find the connections between the photographer´s controversial pictures and his turbulent life. Saudek experienced everything you can think of. Concentration camp imprisonment, poverty and starving, great fortune, political persecution, complicated relationships with - presumably - a thousands of women and several men, loss of his twin brother Kája Saudek (who is no less famous comic book artist, but for last 8 years he´s in a coma), suicide and drug addiction in his family... All this made him a very complicated and sad man, hiding himself behind the mask of joviality and sarcastic humour. Frankly, I don´t think that director Adolf Zika fully managed to get under that mask, but he certainly came close to do that. 7/10

Ghost In The Machine
I watched the Coen brothers' True Grit last night. I would give it a rating of 7.5 probably because I couldn't help but compare it to the original - which I would award a cool 9

Which Mattie Ross, Rooster Cogburn or Texas Ranger LaBoeuf did you prefer?

I kind of missed the original Mattie's lawyer too!

By the end of it, I liked them both quite a bit. This movie was everything to racing that The Wrestler was to professional wrestling and Black Swann was to ballet.
Except that it's true.

Rush: Wow, holy ****, this movie wasn't supposed to be this good, what the **** were they thinking!? Jesus Christ, this movie left me absolutely astonished because I went into it expecting something that was only remotely decent instead I found myself calling it great. Chris Hemsworth had the performance of his career so far while Daniel Bruhl did great and then some. These two characters did so well together. The characters were entirely different, but neither of them necessarily seemed like a bad guy, and oftentimes, every time that it made it seem like you were supposed to be rooting for one, you are given reason to root for the other.

By the end of it, I liked them both quite a bit. This movie was everything to racing that The Wrestler was to professional wrestling and Black Swan was to ballet.

Great to see such love for this movie. I feel like it really gets overlooked amongst the other 2013 fare. I also went into it with low expectations (being somebody who really couldn't care less about car racing of any kind) and loved it, though I was more impressed with Bruhl's performance than Hemsworth's.

One huge difference between Rush and those Aronofsky movies though is that Ron Howard has a knack for making me actually give a sh*t about his characters. Aronofsky definitely doesn't.

Bruce Almighty

I saw this film a few years ago so I knew what the story was and basically what was going to happen and to be honest this could have been any other Jim Carey film, it really doesn't matter because Jim Carey films basically fall into the same film anyway:

* He makes funny sounds
* He makes funny faces
* He learns something about himself

Tell me I am wrong please do because I would love to know if there is something deeper that I am missing but this is basically every Carey film. The only highlight was Morgan Freeman and even he I think was wasted in this film and was for Aniston? Well, she was there, so good for her for showing up!

A very low 3 out of 10

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Except that it's true.
You know what I mean... A movie that looks at the dark-side of something, and the stress that comes with the profession. It just so happens that ballet, professional wrestling, and racing are the most widely respected activities.

Citizen of Werewolfville
3096 Days (3096 Tage; 2013) I never thought that a film about a psychopath who kidnaps 10 year old girl and keeps her in a secret room behind his cellar for another 8 years could be so dull. I was familiar with the Natascha Kampusch case, on which is this awful German drama based, and I always thought that the most fascinating on it is Natascha´s surprisingly ambivalent, love-hate relationship with her abuser. Unfortunatelly, this film does not bring more light into this enigmatic matter. Director Sherry Hormann just aseptically illustrates what you can read on Wikipedia (actually, less than that) and does not really bother with psychologically believable character development. A distinctive performance of the main actress (Antonia Campbell-Hughes) despite an uninspired script and direction is probably the only thing I will remember from this. 4/10