32nd Hall of Fame

Tools    

Predictable because they're good!
And that's the reason!

H-8

Widely regarded as the greatest film to ever come out of Yugoslavia, it tells the true story of a deadly 1957 crash between a bus and a truck. No spoilers there as these facts are presented up front, and then the rest of the film is done in flashback. H-8 refers to the beginning of the license plate of a mystery car that caused the tragic wreck, gotten by witnesses before it disappeared into the night. I would imagine that some would think it exploitive to make a film so soon after a tragedy, but it was dedicated to the driver of the car, I would imagine to bring attention and to shame.

The narrative style is a little bit different and is probably one of the main reasons for the film's acclaim. We are told in the beginning that passengers who sat in certain seats would not survive, yet we don't find out until the very end which passengers would be in those seats. In the meantime we get to know the passengers, as well as the occupants of the truck. I often found myself forgetting that I was watching what is essentially a disaster film. Everything worked for me, the look, story, dialogue, and characters. I think it's a unique and great film.

I'm going to try and up the conversation in this HoF. We haven't really discussed the movies much these days, as we use to back when I first started doing HoFs. So I'm going to try, when possible to watch asap what someone else has watched.

Hopefully I can watch H-8 tonight so I can have something to say about it. The premise as presented by Cricket sounds fascinating. For some odd reason I love films about big trucks or busses, so looking forward to this movie.

For anyone interested, here's my Picnic at Hanging Rock review from last year.

Picnic at Hanging Rock

There's a podcast I listened to shortly after watching the film that I thought was brilliant. If I can find the link, I'll share it.

For anyone interested, here's my Picnic at Hanging Rock review from last year.

Picnic at Hanging Rock

There's a podcast I listened to shortly after watching the film that I thought was brilliant. If I can find the link, I'll share it.
Cool. I'll read that right after I watch the movie and then I can comment on it.

Looking forward to watching it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm going to try and up the conversation in this HoF. We haven't really discussed the movies much these days, as we use to back when I first started doing HoFs. So I'm going to try, when possible to watch asap what someone else has watched.

Hopefully I can watch H-8 tonight so I can have something to say about it. The premise as presented by Cricket sounds fascinating. For some odd reason I love films about big trucks or busses, so looking forward to this movie.
I like that idea, gonna try to checkout H-8 first.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Double Indemnity 1944 Seen this a number of times, not including the times in HoFs, and always enjoyed it. The most recent watch had me paying more attention to Edward G. Robinson and the excellent job he did, along with McMurray and Stanwyck.

Dial M for Murder1954 Not sure if I have ever watched this well-known Hitchcock (I don't think I have), so looking forward to it.

H-8 1958 Looking to make this one my first entry. @cricket's write-up has me curious.

Light in the Piazza 1962 An intriguing romance film with a very young George Hamilton, should be quite lovely.

Blow-Up 1966 One of those Must-Sees I'm finally going to.

Picnic at Hanging Rock 1975 And like Blow-Up, a need to see and the opportunity to

Missing 1982 and the final of three-in-a-row Must-See

The Little Girl Who Conquered Time 1983 First time hearing of this, and I am intrigued.

The Name of the Rose 1986 HUGE fan of this film. VERY excited for a rewatch.

Quite the great list to start off with (in case others join in before its official start) So very glad I joined back in on these with this one.

Double Indemnity 1944 Seen this a number of times, not including the times in HoFs, and always enjoyed it. The most recent watch had me paying more attention to Edward G. Robinson and the excellent job he did, along with McMurray and Stanwyck.Dial M for Murder1954 Not sure if I have ever watched this well-known Hitchcock (I don't think I have), so looking forward to it.H-8 1958 Looking to make this one my first entry. @cricket's write-up has me curious.Light in the Piazza 1962 An intriguing romance film with a very young George Hamilton, should be quite lovely.Blow-Up 1966 One of those Must-Sees I'm finally going to.Picnic at Hanging Rock 1975 And like Blow-Up, a need to see and the opportunity toMissing 1982 and the final of three-in-a-row Must-See The Little Girl Who Conquered Time 1983 First time hearing of this, and I am intrigued.The Name of the Rose 1986 HUGE fan of this film. VERY excited for a rewatch. Quite the great list to start off with (in case others join in before its official start) So very glad I joined back in on these with this one.
Glad to have you back! And I see JJ and Siddon joined too, cool. Still room for more.

Double Indemnity 1944 - This will be the third time DI has been nominated finishing 2nd and 3rd in the two previous times...all done by different people. But this is the first time in a proper Hall so it's got different competition.

Dial M for Murder1954 - Hitchcock shot this film with the intention of being in 3-D. Glad they didn't go through with that, this might be my favorite from Hitch.

H-8 1958 = never saw it never heard of it

Light in the Piazza 1962 never saw it never heard of it

Blow-Up 1966 great nom good film to double feature with...

Picnic at Hanging Rock 1975 this one...we've got a bit of a noir theme this year

Missing 1982 - The return of Costas-Garvas lets see how this one does.

The Little Girl Who Conquered Time 1983 - Going with the lesser live action one over the beloved animated one...interesting choice.

The Name of the Rose 1986 - Seen bits and pieces but excited to sit down and watch this one from start to finish

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I updated the members who are in.

Do we want to keep it a secret for who nominated what or unveil that soon too?

Also, I will be starting with H-8 as well

I updated the members who are in.

Do we want to keep it a secret for who nominated what or unveil that soon too?

Also, I will be starting with H-8 as well
Makes no difference to me

I updated the members who are in.Do we want to keep it a secret for who nominated what or unveil that soon too?Also, I will be starting with H-8 as well
I like your idea of keeping it secret until the end. But it's up to you, not a big deal either way.

The trick is not minding
I’ve seen 6 out of 10. Haven’t seen H-8, Light in the Piazza, Departures, and The Little Girl Who Conquered Time.

I’ve heard of the latter 2, not the former 2. Departures has been on my watch list for a long time.

I’ll skip this since I’ve seen most. And Obayashi being hit or miss with me. H-8 looks intriguing, however.

My money is on Double Indemnity but Blow Up is perhaps the best of the bunch, followed by DI and then Picnic at Hanging Rock.