Adam Sandler: opinions? why do so many people think he's no longer funny?

Tools    

My issue with Adam Sandler is that he is inconsistent. I find him hilarious in the likes of The Waterboy, Little Nicky, Big Daddy and Grown Ups, but very irritating in other films.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I think he succumbed to leading-man syndrome, where you walk the line of mediocrity to appease mass audiences.

I partly agree, his date movie history is pretty bad really, but I didnt like Dont Mess With The Zohan either, nor did I like Billy Madison. I cant put my finger on it, he's just one of those actors that seems erratic too me in the sense of, some of his movies I find utterly immature and ridiculous, and others I love even though hes immature in the majority of his work.

But im like this with Jim Carry too.

The best way I think I can explain my reasoning, is that sometimes I find he over acts or tries too hard to be funny.

I like Adam Sandler still, but I heard that he isn't a very friendly person.

Not Enough Time
Haven't been on here in a while, wanted to respond a bit...

I agree he's all about making money. He definitely qualifies as one of those actors/film makers who milked their fame. Biggest evidence of this is that Grown Ups was supposed to be with Chris Farley as they all (Sandler, Spade, Rock, Schneider) started together on SNL and were coined "the bad boys of SNL". After I learned this, I don't think the movie should've been made without Farley, and Kevin James is certainly not Chris Farley. But I like Kevin James, not really many of his movies, but I really like King of Queens. But yeah, Adam Sandler seems like he just does what he wants because he can. I looked up how much he's worth... he's rich as f***.

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
He's actually capable of great acting (i.e., Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish, and Reign Over Me), although elects to act mostly in insipid junk that requires no real effort and skill.

I don't hate this guy as much as some other people do, but that's probably because I stayed away from his worst films.

I actually think some of his films have a nice mix of funny and sweet, without necessarily being really good maybe, but still very watchable.

Films I've seen from him (not counting animation films):

Just Go With It (2011)
50 First Dates (2004)
Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
Big Daddy (1999)
Happy Gilmore (1996)

Although some of these films have some very stupid jokes in it, I still don't rate any of these films under
. They all have some kind of redeeming qualities in my opinion.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
because he was never funny in the first place.
This. I've yet to see an Adam Sandler movie I liked because Adam Sandler was in it. Some of them are OK (Longest Yard, Chuck and Larry, and a few others) only because I enjoy watching the rest of the cast. Sandler is tolerable at best in the movies I've seen and more often than not he's extremely annoying.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
Well, because he isn't. I enjoyed Billy Madison and that was the last one that I actually liked. It may have been because I was so young when that one came out and I liked poop jokes. I have no idea if I would still like it today because I haven't watched it in years.

He really isn't funny anymore. His last few movies have been trash, yet somehow made money. If he's going to keep being part of crap like that, he might as well quit and let his reputation die in peace.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

but now you have my attention
I liked The longest Yard but only because I'm a closet wrestling fan

Jimmy Falon imitates Adam Sandler perfectly. Now Falon is a bit of an overrated hack so that shows where Adam Sandler ranks on the talent food chain.

He was best when he did the holiday songs, and when he stuck to the material given to him, like in Wedding Singer.

I have to agree with you regarding THE LONGEST YARD...the original is one of my favorites and I was not comfortable with the idea of a remake but I thought Sandler did a great job with it...put his own stamp on the film while respecting the original in the process.

Oh, and I forgot to mention The Longest Yard was pathetic. Truly. The Burt Reynolds original was ALOT better, and the Sandler version was just another derpy goofy Sandler vehicle to go with the others.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
Nobody thought Thats my Boy was funny? I thought Sandler and Samberg were funny as hell together.

I know its not an amazingly new kind of comedy but the premise and story i thought were hilarious. maybe im the only one.