Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Wake in Fright (1971)

Really bizarre story of a teacher in the Australian outback breaking up for Christmas and heading back to Sydney to see his girlfriend. He gets caught up in a place called the Yabba and loses all his money hoping to free himself from his teachers bond. He ends up relying on the kindness of (drunken) strangers. He ends up debasing himself to an extent you wouldn't suspect at the start. Liked this although the copy I got's soundtrack was hopelessly out of sync. Donald Pleasence plays one of the main characters and doesn't disappoint....very creepy.....

But I still feel Cameron wanted something completely different from sharing his feelings, and he could only get that from Dolphin.
And that's also an important part of the story. What we want from a friend/sibling is not what we want/need from a romantic or sexual partner.

A big part of the story is Seth's jealousy. Seth is already somewhat "locked out" of the adult dynamics in his family. So when his best ally, his brother, starts to become intimate with someone else (including telling her things he can't tell Seth), it pushes Seth's jealousy into a destructive and hateful place. Like them trashing her house. It's an expression of anger and jealousy. And the tragedy of it is that Seth can't realize that it's not Dolphin who is the enemy. Life and time will always pull people away from us. Seth thinks that by "defeating" Dolphin, he'll get his brother back.

Wake in Fright (1971)

Really bizarre story of a teacher in the Australian outback breaking up for Christmas and heading back to Sydney to see his girlfriend. He gets caught up in a place called the Yabba and loses all his money hoping to free himself from his teachers bond. He ends up relying on the kindness of (drunken) strangers. He ends up debasing himself to an extent you wouldn't suspect at the start. Liked this although the copy I got's soundtrack was hopelessly out of sync. Donald Pleasence plays one of the main characters and doesn't disappoint....very creepy.....

I was really pleasantly surprised by Wake in Fright. Much more disorienting and disturbing than I expected. And the performances--you're right to highlight Pleasence--are strong across the board.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Aussies sure can't make a normal film, eh?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Do not at all understand the acclaim for this movie. I did finish it though it was slow. Very well acted was what made me stay.

Strange movie. Only stayed for Sarsgaard who is always very good.

Do not at all understand the acclaim for this movie. I did finish it though it was slow. Very well acted was what made me stay.
I really liked it, so take this as you will . . .

I thought that the imagery, color, and costuming/set-design is some of the most beautiful that I've seen in a long while. The use of reds and greens and blues is just so bold and wonderful. Add into it the way that the costuming and the idea of covering or uncovering plays with the theme of forbidden romance, and I found the style of it incredibly engaging. The actual image of her with her dress aflame and yet somehow at peace is easily my favorite stand-alone image of the last few years of film.

On top of that, I liked the examination of the theme of real love versus the representation of the thing that we love. The way that she keeps "reinventing" her lover through the painting. The idea that the painter's version of a person is what becomes immortal and outlives the actual human being. I think that it also does a great job of capturing what it means to have forbidden love--how there can be a brief respite from the world, but never something lasting.

I thought that the imagery, color, and costuming/set-design is some of the most beautiful that I've seen in a long while.

On top of that, I liked the examination of the theme of real love versus the representation of the thing that we love.

I think that it also does a great job of capturing what it means to have forbidden love--how there can be a brief respite from the world, but never something lasting.
Paragraph 1: Maybe, but that’s insufficient for me to love a movie.

Paragraph 2: Don’t know what this means.

Paragraph 3: They could have stayed together. The dark-haired one said she would never marry & she was going to inherit her father’s business so there would have been financial means. The blonde lady would have had to defy her mother & the arranged marriage, but it was doable. I mean, when did lesbian love begin? As far back as anyone can remember?

I really liked it, so take this as you will . . .
One of my favorites of last year as well. That ending almost knocks the wind out of you.

Paragraph 2: Don’t know what this means.
It's what they discuss, at times explicitly, about the difference between memory/art and the real thing.

There is the real Heloise and there is what Mariane sees. The portrait that Mariane creates is a reflection of how she sees Heloise. As Mariane's feelings about Heloise change, so does the portrait. The two of them have several conversations about what it means for someone to create a representation of you.

Paragraph 3: They could have stayed together. The dark-haired one said she would never marry & she was going to inherit her father’s business so there would have been financial means. The blonde lady would have had to defy her mother & the arranged marriage, but it was doable. I mean, when did lesbian love begin? As far back as anyone can remember?
They could have perhaps stayed together, but it's not ultimately what either character is willing to go for. And their life together in reality would not be the life in which they fell in love (nice house, maid, no outside social disapproval, etc).

In the film, the characters discuss the myth of Orpheus. Mariane explicitly says that maybe Orpheus gives up Eurydice because "He chooses the memory of her. That's why he turns. He doesn't make the lover's choice, but the poet's." Mariane is articulating that sometimes a memory or a representation of someone is preferable. As a memory, Mariane can love Heloise easily. In fact, Heloise says "Maybe she was the one who said 'turn around'". In other words, sometimes an object of affection might prefer to exist as a memory. Heloise and Mariane exist in this temporary utopia, but they know it can't last (as symbolized by the flowers that slowly die in the kitchen).

They do explicitly discuss fighting against the marriage, but they say this:

Heloise: You would prefer me to resist?
Mariane: Yes.
Heloise: Are you asking me to? Answer me.
Mariane: No.

Then there's the moment where it is Heloise who says "Turn around" (going back to the myth) and Mariane sees her in the wedding dress. Heloise is choosing to be a memory.

They choose to give up their relationship. For Mariane, it seems to come from a place of making the "poet's choice"--to have wonderful memories of someone instead of having to deal with the messier reality of loving a real person.

And for Heloise, it seems to come from a place of not wanting to fight against pressures. To continue to enjoy material wealth, be on good terms with her family, and to be a lovely memory in Mariane's mind.

Again, I really vibed with this movie. It was slower in its pace, but I thought that both the visuals and the themes were interesting and well-executed.

Seconds To Spare (Brian Trenchard-Smith, 2002)

Unfortunately plenty of expense obviously spared as well, watchable and even somewhat entertaining (if unoriginal) but probably not the greatest sign when ex-Neighbours alumni Kimberley Davies is in the upper echelon of performers in it

LOL, thanks!

I can see why it might not appeal to some people, but I really dug it.
Life would be mighty dull if we all liked the same thing. And everyone here knows it’s a miracle if I even finish a movie.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...21#post2117521

Life would be mighty dull if we all liked the same thing. And everyone here knows it’s a miracle if I even finish a movie.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...21#post2117521
Ha!

I have, like, a compulsion to finish anything I start--movies, books, TV shows. Sometimes I wish I could walk away. In my whole life there are only like three movies that I started and did not finish.

The only one that hurt my heart a little was that you didn't finish I am Not a Witch.

But what are you going to do? Demand that people finish films that they aren't into?

3rd Rewatch...For my money, Alexander Payne's masterpiece...one of the most deserving Original Screenplay Oscars ever...so smart and sophisticated...I love the adjectives that the Miles character uses when he's describing the way different wines taste. It's such an edgy story and there's a lot of questionable behavior glamorized here, but it's present with such wit and style we can forgive. And Paul Giamatti's being overlooked for a Best Actor nomination is one of the Academy's biggest faux pas.

Incendies (2010)

Yet another rewatch. A number of reviewers mentioned that the last ten minutes and the final reveal jarred with the rest of the film (or didn’t fit thematically), but I actually felt there was a certain atmosphere of
WARNING: spoilers below
incest throughout
, especially in the scene where Jeanne and Simon hug in the swimming pool. With what comes at the end, it would be preposterous to explore that angle too. The film would be way too far-fetched and Oedipal. But I do think it would perhaps be interesting to explore the relationship between the twins a bit more, instead of just pitting them against each other on most issues, such as the burial, whether or not to dig deeper etc. A solid Villeneuve otherwise, up there with Polytechnique (I always find those two deeper in some way than his later work, though I still like it).

Incendies (2010)

A solid Villeneuve otherwise, up there with Polytechnique (I always find those two deeper in some way than his later work, though I still like it).
I haven't seen Incendies yet, but I just want to highlight Polytechnique. It is such an expressive, enraging, and deeply-felt film. At once realistic and dream-like. It's a film that, once I watched it, I felt so confused about why it's not discussed more often. In fact, when I bring it up a ton of people haven't even heard of it.

Ha!

I have, like, a compulsion to finish anything I start--movies, books, TV shows. Sometimes I wish I could walk away. In my whole life there are only like three movies that I started and did not finish.

The only one that hurt my heart a little was that you didn't finish I am Not a Witch.

But what are you going to do? Demand that people finish films that they aren't into?
I probably return as many Kindle books as movies I don’t finish.

3rd Rewatch...For my money, Alexander Payne's masterpiece...one of the most deserving Original Screenplay Oscars ever...so smart and sophisticated...I love the adjectives that the Miles character uses when he's describing the way different wines taste. It's such an edgy story and there's a lot of questionable behavior glamorized here, but it's present with such wit and style we can forgive. And Paul Giamatti's being overlooked for a Best Actor nomination is one of the Academy's biggest faux pas.
I’ve seen it twice. Very good movie.