Martin Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon

Tools    

The trick is not minding
At this point I'm pretty sure complaints of 'woke' just mean 'why isn't this movie about me?'
The sad part of criticism aimed at being woke is it IGNORES the social issues itself. Was it woke to support the Civil Rights of women and POC? Was it woke to support the Emancipation Proclamation? To bring it back to movies, specifically Killers of the Flower Moon, is it woke to film a movie about actual murders and crime s against the Native Americans over greed (oil in this case iirc)?
It’s ironic that there’s so much buzz about a certain movie depicting social issues, specifically child and sex trafficking, from the right, which seems to somehow escape the dreaded “woke” agenda tag.

Whose ideas and thoughts are being repressed?

Please, supply details.

I haven't seen the films yet....but from the odds on Golden Derby over half of the BP noms are going to be about repression of Women. Three films dealing with the Jewish experience during a specific period of time.

But can I prove a negative...no of course not I don't have access to the films that aren't getting made by the studios. I think The Iron Claw and Napoleon are going to be interesting test subjects to see if those films get the same fair shake during the Award seasons if they don't follow the same characterizations, themes, and motifs of the majority.

I found it very sad (not something I feel often), and it really wasn’t anything like what I expected, which was a positive, as I’m rarely thrown off guard these days. But yeah, much preferred it to The Irishman. See nothing whatsoever ‘woke’ about the film, btw.

The more I think about it, nearly 24 hours in, the more I realise how much I enjoyed it.

I haven't seen the films yet

Well, for your sake, I hope it isn't about the repression of women, or the Jewish experience during a specific period of time.

....but from the odds on Golden Derby over half of the BP noms are going to be about repression of Women. Three films dealing with the Jewish experience during a specific period of time.

My condolences.

The trick is not minding
I haven't seen the films yet....but from the odds on Golden Derby over half of the BP noms are going to be about repression of Women. Three films dealing with the Jewish experience during a specific period of time.

But can I prove a negative...no of course not I don't have access to the films that aren't getting made by the studios. I think The Iron Claw and Napoleon are going to be interesting test subjects to see if those films get the same fair shake during the Award seasons if they don't follow the same characterizations, themes, and motifs of the majority.
Oppenheimer is a possible BP nomination leading film, as well as a favorite to win it, and it delves into not about race or gender but rather the politics over the guilt and ethics over the bomb

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Imagine that, the gang’s all here in a Scorsese thread 🤗

Oppenheimer is a possible BP nomination leading film, as well as a favorite to win it, and it delves into not about race or gender but rather the politics over the guilt and ethics over the bomb
Well that is your opinion of the film....but your example is the story of a Jewish scientist who is marginalized by the US government. He was put on trial in the film...multiple times.

But you are okay with creative mandates put on art you don't see any problems with that. Because until these mandates came along when did Hollywood ever touch on the Civil Rights movement, women's issues, or the Holocaust. Did these stories not get told?

You say well it doesn't matter if he was Jewish...but the issue is could that film have been made it the lead character wasn't "marginalized". It's not great for any organization that arbitrates and distributes art to have a clear political agenda. This is the thing that the Nazi's and Communists actually did and filmmakers and artists had to leave those countries to work in Hollywood.

And just to stay on topic...you are making this argument in a thread about how a group of native american's are murdered by well I won't spoil it as I haven't seen the film yet.

This just in, the movie is fantastic. But, yeah, if you somehow missed the part of history where we were beyond horrendous to native Americans, and see talking about that as woke…it ain’t for you.

The trick is not minding
Well that is your opinion of the film....but your example is the story of a Jewish scientist who is marginalized by the US government. He was put on trial in the film...multiple times.

But you are okay with creative mandates put on art you don't see any problems with that. Because until these mandates came along when did Hollywood ever touch on the Civil Rights movement, women's issues, or the Holocaust. Did these stories not get told?

You say well it doesn't matter if he was Jewish...but the issue is could that film have been made it the lead character wasn't "marginalized". It's not great for any organization that arbitrates and distributes art to have a clear political agenda. This is the thing that the Nazi's and Communists actually did and filmmakers and artists had to leave those countries to work in Hollywood.

And just to stay on topic...you are making this argument in a thread about how a group of native american's are murdered by well I won't spoil it as I haven't seen the film yet.
Wrong. He was scrutinized not being Jewish, but for his past communist ties. His heritage hardly plays any part in this film.*
Inclusion is a good thing. Not sure why one thinks it isn’t?
You’ve made broad claims with nothing to back it up, unfortunately. It’s like last year with Triangle of Sadness. You felt it would be ignored completely. You were wrong. It garnered several nominations.
Not quite sure what your last paragraph is about? Where are you going with this?Explain this for me please, so I can better respond.

Wrong. He was scrutinized not being Jewish, but for his past communist ties. His heritage hardly plays any part in this film.*
Do I really need to go into the Jewish/Communist issues....is this something that I really need to educate you on. We're talking about basic history of this time and the foundation of things like the ethnic cleansing of the Jews, the establishment of Israel, the Russian Revolution, the McCarthy hearings. Do I really need to on a movie discussion board the history of antisemitism.

Inclusion is a good thing. Not sure why one thinks it isn’t?
Not when it's mandated. It's a bad thing when an organization says we only want certain things and if those things don't meet our standards then we want them out.

You’ve made broad claims with nothing to back it up, unfortunately. It’s like last year with Triangle of Sadness. You felt it would be ignored completely. You were wrong. It garnered several nominations.
It did receive some nominations....it's lead actress also died and was not only snubbed in the lead actress category but also the In Memoriam montage. Which I don't believe was accidental but rather politically motivated as her death could have been tied to the COVID shot. So they just kinda buried and ignored the lead actress of a BP nom died young and tragically.

Who knows maybe I am wrong, and you can one day come up with better examples.

The trick is not minding
Do I really need to go into the Jewish/Communist issues....is this something that I really need to educate you on. We're talking about basic history of this time and the foundation of things like the ethnic cleansing of the Jews, the establishment of Israel, the Russian Revolution, the McCarthy hearings. Do I really need to on a movie discussion board the history of antisemitism.

Not when it's mandated. It's a bad thing when an organization says we only want certain things and if those things don't meet our standards then we want them out.

It did receive some nominations....it's lead actress also died and was not only snubbed in the lead actress category but also the In Memoriam montage. Which I don't believe was accidental but rather politically motivated as her death could have been tied to the COVID shot. So they just kinda buried and ignored the lead actress of a BP nom died young and tragically.

Who knows maybe I am wrong, and you can one day come up with better examples.
No, but you’re twisting the purpose of this discussion in regards to his ethnicity and how it was represented in the film. He was not persecuted in the film for being a Jew, he was persecuted for his past communist ties. He had his clearence revoked based on that.
Your lecture about the history of antisemitism doesn’t apply to that film.

I noticed you moved the goalpost on Triangle of sadness. We went from it not getting any nominations to what nominations it didn’t get.

I feel like we should be more focused on cinematic runtime instead of fear mongering over precieved "wokeism"

Seeing it Sunday with a friend. Highly anticipating it.

Not sure what Siddon is on about, but then again, I don't think anyone else does either.

I feel like we should be more focused on cinematic runtime instead of fear mongering over precieved "wokeism"

We could also talk about the insidious capitalist nature of Apple Films that are only going to be available through this corporate monopoly. I would love to discuss that at some point...down the road...unless I like the movie.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Hey guys, I’m heading over to the The Creator thread so that we can have a thorough discussion of all the issues with that one! Lot of good stuff!