Lost (Possible Spoilers)

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
This is true. I'd forgotten he said that. But it obviously means Sayid knew at that point that he hadn't killed him. So, was it someone Sayid told then, or someone who heard Sayid? Or just Jacob? (I assume he could do that, if he can grab his own ashes and carry them around!)

Yeah Jacob was who i initially thought but you'd think that he might mention, "oh fyi i found some crazy Scotsman down a well who's detrimental to this whole season"

I want to kno what Jacob said to Widmore as well since Jacob knew MiB always wanted the Source not a plane to escape.

Neutral Milk Hotel
In response to yoda's theory; It would be interesting if things turned out that way. However, unless all the members of the Dharma initiative just disappeared after jug-head was detonated, it wouldn't really make sense for the Losties to still be in 1977. There original beach camp was back to where it was, the swan hatch was built and imploded (you can see Desmonds exercise bike in the imploded swan hatch that Juliet is under) and everything is back to the way it was.

The only way I could see that working is if the present Island time got switched with 1977 Island time (dharma people and all would be in 2007, losties island 1977). Thats a tad bit too confusing to explain in the 2 and half hours that are left. That doesn't mean it's not a pretty cool idea though.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I'm thinking this is a cool theory but that it's just not the kind of thing they'd try to explain onscreen in these final hours. Dunno, though.... and soon, we'll see!

Yeah, and no matter what anyone comes up with, it's never the actual ending. Always bet on "The Field" against a given theory.

The part I'm most tickled by is the idea that the Flash-sideways is a new future of sorts, if only because it wouldn't have to involve any pseudo-science about multiple universes spinning off, well, just because.

It certainly would explain the flashbacks that are bleeding through into their conscious memories from their subconscious. I think THAT part they could explain quite easily in the time left -- given their history of explaining odd sci-fi elements like this.

I just remember how badly they dealt with Desmond's odd "powers" in his flashbacks with Hawkins, etc. For a while it was just a mess -- more frustrating than intriguing.

The "new future" thing works, as long as you can find a way to dovetail it into the right year and get rid of the duplicate "originals" still on the island in some way that's still satisfying.

I have to give them some credit for keeping the purpose and nature of the Flash-sideways under wraps so well. There are only a handful of possibilities for a thing like that, really, so it's impressive that we're going into the finale without much fan consensus as to what they could be. Though that's largely a product of the ho-humming that was going on in them for the first two-thirds of the season, which a lot of fans complained about. Understandable, but the upshot is that you don't know going into the finale exactly what's up with them. All we know is, something big's going down at that concert.

The idea that the Flash-sideways is some kind of new or altered future does an awful lot, to my mind:
  • It explains why the Island is under-water.
  • It sorta-kinda explains why memories are bleeding over.
  • It would be sufficiently surprising (which is a necessity, given the build up).
  • It allows us to have both a surprise ending and a long, drawn-out, satisfying goodbye (we just didn't know it was a goodbye until the end).
I guess we'll see. As much as I might like this, that, or another, a few things point to the ending still really coming out of left field. Either that, or there are some big hurdles to some of these theories that they're just going to ignore. I guess we'll see.

Neutral Milk Hotel
My biggest hope for the Finale is that there is one big "WTF!!" moment left. I want one more HUGE twist. I would be satisfied if the ending is more straightforward, and character driven though.

There are a few things that could lead to something crazy though. The fact that the show was called "The Circle" before it was called "Lost" points to some kind of Loop happening. Of course, this could also just refer to how people come, fight, destroy, corrupt, and it always ends the same. Though, I'm not a huge fan of the theory that the show will end where it began; Jacks eye opening in the jungle. It would be neat if they tied it together so a Loop makes sense, I just feel like everything is leading up to us seeing THE end of whatever vicious cycle the show has created. If we were left knowing that they just do the same thing over and over, it would take away from the journey we saw. We would know that we didn't see the story "end" and that would be kind of a letdown.

Also, Eloise seems REALLY fishy to me. Somehow, she always knows what is going on. She told Desmond not to buy the ring in Season 3, and again told him his escapades in the Flash-Sideways reality were a "violation". This almost makes me think the entire time-line is fabricated. Is it possible the Man in Black confronted Eloise after she killed Faraday? And made a deal with her so that her son would be safe and sound? I Think its a definite possibility, with all his "what if you could have anything you wanted?" talk.

I think no matter what, I'm going to be satisfied on some level. I know the writers can't make everyone happy so I trust them to see their own story play out the way that they wanted to make it, and if they succeed on their own terms (which have to be pretty big since they are the ones most invested in the story) then that's good enough for me.

I kept thinking today that we haven't seen Faraday in any of the flash-sideways stories (not that I remember). We've even seen Charlotte, but where's Faraday been? I keep thinking both he and Eloise are due to make one more appearance on Sunday, if only because they both just quietly disappeared from view without so much as a bang or a whimper ... and yet they both had SO much knowledge of what was going on beneath the surface.

Surely at least one of the two of them will come back to help 'splain things to us on Sunday night....

It won't be the WTF moment but i have high hopes Desmond will pimp-slap Eloise into a china cabinet at the Concert. Interesting that all the characters are being drawn there for one reason or another, except Locke......

There are a few things that could lead to something crazy though. The fact that the show was called "The Circle" before it was called "Lost" points to some kind of Loop happening. Of course, this could also just refer to how people come, fight, destroy, corrupt, and it always ends the same. Though, I'm not a huge fan of the theory that the show will end where it began; Jacks eye opening in the jungle. It would be neat if they tied it together so a Loop makes sense, I just feel like everything is leading up to us seeing THE end of whatever vicious cycle the show has created. If we were left knowing that they just do the same thing over and over, it would take away from the journey we saw. We would know that we didn't see the story "end" and that would be kind of a letdown.
Yeah, I think we'll get an actual ending. Jacob's words are prescient here: "it only ends once." I'll be stunned if they actually go for a loop/cycle ending. The pieces are there, but it wouldn't fit the tenor of the show.

Also, Eloise seems REALLY fishy to me. Somehow, she always knows what is going on. She told Desmond not to buy the ring in Season 3, and again told him his escapades in the Flash-Sideways reality were a "violation". This almost makes me think the entire time-line is fabricated. Is it possible the Man in Black confronted Eloise after she killed Faraday? And made a deal with her so that her son would be safe and sound? I Think its a definite possibility, with all his "what if you could have anything you wanted?" talk.
They're not even hiding the fact that she knows what's going on. I like the idea of her making some kind of bargain. And you're dead-on with MiB's preferred method of persuasion. He's very shallow and always thinks he can pinpoint the one thing that everyone wants, but Jacob sees the nuances of each person. It makes sense; Jacob's been studying them and getting to know them; the MiB hasn't. That will be his downfall, in a way, because he thinks he can buy people off without knowing them well enough to know what they really want.

I like the idea that a couple characters, like Eloise, actually took him up on it, though.

I think no matter what, I'm going to be satisfied on some level. I know the writers can't make everyone happy so I trust them to see their own story play out the way that they wanted to make it, and if they succeed on their own terms (which have to be pretty big since they are the ones most invested in the story) then that's good enough for me.
Yeah, after "Across the Sea" I modified my expectations accordingly. Now I'm just hoping for one big shocker, a few "that's kind of a neat explanation" moments, and a lot of satisfying character resolution.

I kept thinking today that we haven't seen Faraday in any of the flash-sideways stories (not that I remember).
Alt-Desmond met him right after delivered Widmore's message to Eloise. He knocked on the limo window and was wearing a jazzy hat, and showed Desmond a book full of calculations he'd written but didn't understand, talked about Penny, setting off a bomb ("I think I already have"), etc. Just that one scene, though. So you can bet he'll be performing at the concert somehow (tutoring David?), and right in the thick of things.

One fun theory I've heard floated is that he'll try to detonate something else. The fact that everyone's going to be at this concert feels a lot like Flocke's plan to get everyone in the same place to have them killed, doesn't it?

It felt more like Jack's/Ben's attempts to get everyone back to the island by getting them all on the plane a season or so ago....

And yes, I'd forgotten about Faraday at the car window -- because he was at that party-reception thingy. Totally forgot that whole line of plot! Sheesh! I gotta rewatch this whole season before Sunday now! (Which isn't a bad idea, really.)

Beware The Probe!
So it appears the finale of Lost will be simulcast live around the globe this weekend.
Everyone everywhere gets it at the same time to avoid time-zone spoilers.

Great idea.
Has this ever been done with any other TV show before?

Yeah, i saw that but still doesn't do me any good as don't have Sky1. It's being broadcast at 5am over here, however if i stream it off the internet, it's up at 2am....

eek I just saw that Pyro. 5am! I'll have to wait till I get home cos 5am is the time I'll be getting up to go to work on Monday.
Clever idea tho

Wow, that sucks. Don't come anywhere near this thread, either way!

Heard about the simulcast; very good idea. I think I've heard of something similar happening, though probably not on this scale.

T-minus 48 hours...

I'll probably watch it on veetle again anyway. Though there's talk of parties from the few disparate friends i have who watch it.