You Can Take Any One Academy Award Away...

Tools    

Pauline Kael's Hideous Mutant Love CHUD
... from whichever film or performer won it, in any given year; and give it, instead, to one of the other official nominees listed in that category, for that year.

EXAMPLE: Best Actor Award (1983)

Actual Winner: Ben Kingsley (Gandhi)

New Winner: Peter O'Toole (My Favorite Year)
"If it was priggish for an older generation of reviewers to be ashamed of what they enjoyed and to feel they had to be contemptuous of popular entertainment, it's even more priggish for a new movie generation to be so proud of what they enjoy that they use their education to try to place trash within the acceptable academic tradition." -- Pauline Kael

I would take away Will Smith's Oscar for King Richard. And then tease Andrew Garfield, Benedict Cumberbatch, Denzel Washington and Javier Bardem with it before yelling PSYCHE! and running away giggling like a little girl.

The trick is not minding
So many BP winners. Heck, so many great films that weren’t even nominated for BP. So many great foreign films that weren’t even nominated for Best International film. Like Come and See

But seriously.

Best Actor Award (2003)

Actual Winner: Adrien Brody (The Pianist)

New Winner: Daniel Day Lewis (Gangs of New York)

But seriously.

Best Actor Award (2003)

Actual Winner: Adrien Brody (The Pianist)

New Winner: Daniel Day Lewis (Gangs of New York)

Oh, yesssssssssssss.

I would take away Shakespeare In Loves Best Picture Oscar and give it to Saving Private Ryan. Speilberg was Weinsteined.

I would take away the Best Picture award from Everything Everwhere All At Once and give it to The Banshees of Inisherin.

We are now officially blood brothers.

1968 Academy Awards

Original Winner: In The Heat of The Night
Original Winner: Rod Steiger

New Winner: The Graduate
New Winner: Sidney Poiter or Dustin Hoffman.

ITHOTN was still a good movie, but The Graduate was still a greater movie. Also, even though Rod Steiger did great, I give the nod to Sidney Poiter for that movie and can not believe he was not nominated for that film.

I'm sure if I spent more than five minutes thinking/researching, I'd come up with several better answers, but the < 5 mins of effort version is:

Take away Best Picture from Titanic, give it to L.A. Confidential.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
My least favorite of modern Best Pictures that I've seen is Moonlight (2016), and I would replace it with The Witch. Moonlight had a decent enough story in the first two acts, but the third act was just shameless manipulation that felt like social politics propaganda and just contrived. It's one of those post Obama intersectionality based films where it gets the clap treatment more for its posturing on social issues and in fashion trends than quality of film or otherwise.

The Witch on the other hand is a genre picture that is perfect in every way, and is a dark atmospheric slow burn journey into things falling a part and a weird existential dread in a black and white toned nightmare of good getting its ass handed to it by evil. . It genuinely evoked emotions of unease and discomfort in me, which only a few horror films have ever done.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Welcome to the human race...
Feel like people are missing this part...

... from whichever film or performer won it, in any given year; and give it, instead, to one of the other official nominees listed in that category, for that year.
...which honestly is what makes this interesting as opposed to trying to validate any number of horror movies that never had a snowball's chance in Hell of getting a Best Picture nomination.

Anyway, I'd give Barry Lyndon Best Picture over One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Julianne Moore in Boogie Nights instead of Kim Basinger in L.A. Confidential for Best Supporting Actress (1997). Basinger is good, but I believe she won because it made for a good comeback story first and for her work second.

I love this topic and couldn't possibly narrow it down to one Oscar, but I must agree with the previous post about Kim Basinger's Oscar to its rightful owner, Julianne Moore.

Also:

Elizabeth Taylor's Oscar for BUtterfield 8 should go to its rightful owner, Shirley MacLaine for The Apartment

George Burns stole the 1975 Oscar for Best Supporting Actor from its rightful winner, Brad Dourif for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Glenda Jackson's second Oscar for A Touch of Class really belongs to Ellen Burstyn for The Exorcist

And how did Art Carney win the Oscar that should have gone to Al Pacino for Godfather II or Jack Nicholson for Chinatown?

Another travesty corrected:

Best Actress Award (1983)

Actual Winner: Meryl Streep (Sophie's Choice)

New Winner: Jessica Lange (Frances)

And how did Art Carney win the Oscar that should have gone to Al Pacino for Godfather II or Jack Nicholson for Chinatown?

I'm an Art Carney fan, and I absolutely back this posting, 1000%.