What are you listening to while you're MoFoin' it?

Tools    

Joe Tex, "I Want to (Do Everything for You)"
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Let the night air cool you off

I've never been into Paramore. I wasn't really into Hayley Williams' aesthetic over the years, especially her Fifth Element look. But over the last few years, I guess she's continued her evolution into something that is more likely to catch my eye. Her look has changed and so has her musical style, both more into my wheelhouse. I don't expect them to ever drop an album that I can really get behind, but I've heard a couple of their singles that were decent enough earworms. Somebody somewhere else on the internet posted a link to Paramore covering Drake's "Passionfruit" on Live Lounge, and I was intrigued for a few reasons: 1) I like the song well enough, but my favorite version is already a cover by Yaeji. 2) Hayley was looking cute and vulnerable in this intimate setting. 3) These Live Lounge covers frequently deliver. The song was good enough, I enjoyed it. The YouTube rabbit hole delivered with the very first step into it, as the first suggested video was the video I posted. I didn't know if it was an original song or a cover or what it was, but the "Passionfruit" cover was good enough to make me give this one a shot.

I was drawn in as soon as that synth hits us with a doot-to-doot. I swear to God, I am so musically illiterate that I have no other way of conceiving an explanation to that sound. Jesus. Then when Hayley belts out the first line "All that I want is to wake up fine", I knew this was down my alley. Lyrically, I don't expect a whole lot from pop music. I expect something straight forward and not too challenging. The lyrics on this track are not too hard to decipher, as they are straight-forward as any other pop song, but the honesty, simplicity, and vulnerability make them stand very tall above other pop competition of the era. Pairing them with this upbeat music acts as either a way to hide the vulnerability, or maybe an act of defiance to that depression and vulnerability by allowing you to dance through them and turning the sh*tty feelings into a party anthem for you, or maybe a little bit of both. Of course, the glue to all of this is Hayley's voice. The music bounces around and so does her voice. She displays a nice range in this song and does a bunch of things with her voice that keep the song interesting and never does it feel like a gimmick. This is a great pop song that I missed at the time.

Slipknot - The Devil In I

You ready? You look ready.
This is one sick album. Tight beats.

TM3, Catfish Billy 2, and Trailer Park Hollywood are the standouts from my first spin.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

You ready? You look ready.
This is one sick album. Tight beats.

TM3, Catfish Billy 2, and Trailer Park Hollywood are the standouts from my first spin.
Spinning again...with mah sub. Dat boom boom.

We Slum is standing out this second time around. Sick. Favorite track.